Another driving question

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
We have decided to split our drive over 2 days spending the night in Beckley which from what I read on another post is the beginning of the mountains but where do they end????

Also anyone been reading about the sniper in Charleston? If he or she is not caught would you consider taking an alternative route? Just me being paranoid....lol

Hockeychic,
Hope you saw my response to your previous post.
Personally I didn't find the mountains on this route too daunting at all. Just seems like a bunch of big (well maybe some huge) hills. The I-75 route is way more mountainous. IMHO. We drove through in the afternoon, the kids loved the tunnels you go through. Some of the vistas are nice to stop for a look but there are not a lot of them. We, however, did not have weather conditions, (fog, rain, snow) to contend with. We are planning on taking this route again at Xmas, but are flexible to suit the weather. I would be leary about doing the mountains in the morning because of fog. We got the worst of it over by pushing on to Hillsville.

I think you drive out of the main mountains around the North Carolina border. When we left Hillsville in the morning it was all down hill from there.

Going down I-95, you don't really go very close to Charleston. SC.

The sniper is actually in Charleston, WV. If you take Hwy 19 to get you from from I79 to I77 (which is the recommended route), you don't go through it. You'll be close but I would just plan to have a full tank of gas & not stop in that area at all if the sniper isn't caught yet. Just check it out on your map & plan your stops accordingly.

Now if this turns into one like the last sniper ordeal, I'd change my route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter