Annual Pass Questions

puffinp51

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW next January and possibly again Nov. of 2018 so am thinking AP’s are the way to go for me and my husband. We have never had AP’s so have a couple of questions – I have researched them but need some clarification – any advice appreciated :)

If we purchase them this fall (so we can do our FP+ at 60 days – we’re staying on property) but don’t actually use them until January 22, 2018, does the year start from purchase or the first day we use them (activation?)

Best place/vendor and way to purchase them?

Do the dining discounts work for only the passholder or the entire party? We will be taking a larger group in Nov. 2018. Would the TIW be a better plan for dining for a group of 9?

TIA for any input. So excited to become an AP member!

We are going to WDW next January and possibly again Nov. of 2018 so am thinking AP’s are the way to go for me and my husband. We have never had AP’s so have a couple of questions – I have researched them but need some clarification – any advice appreciated :)

If we purchase them this fall (so we can do our FP+ at 60 days – we’re staying on property) but don’t actually use them until January 22, 2018, does the year start from purchase or the first day we use them (activation?)

Do the dining discounts work for only the passholder or the entire party? We will be taking a larger group in Nov. 2018. Would the TIW be a better plan for dining for a group of 9?

The year starts from the day of activation.

I would buy it through the Disney website.

As long as the passholder is present it would cover the entire party for the dining discount.

For a new pass (not a renewal), the pass begins running from the day it is activated. If you activate your passes on January 22, 2018, they will be valid through January 22, 2019.

Activation is not the same as use. You must activate your pass at Guest Services before you attempt to enter a park.

You can purchase WDW APs from Disney by phone or online. I don't know if one is better than the other. There's no third party vendor that sells APs.

There's usually a max number for the dining discounts. The WDW passholder webpage indicates that if not otherwise stated, the dining discounts apply to the passholder and up to 3 guests. If you have two passholders, that's 8 people that can be covered. The TIW covers the cardholder plus up to 9 additional persons, but according to TIW rules, the cardholder must be present and must pay the bill.

Last edited:
For a new pass (not a renewal), the pass begins running from the day it is activated. If you activate your passes on January 22, 2017, they will be valid through January 22, 2018.

You can purchase by phone or online. I don't know if one is better than the other.

There's usually a max number for the dining discounts. The passholder page indicates that if not otherwise stated, the dining discounts apply to the passholder and up to 3 guests. If you have two passholders, that's 8 people that can be covered. The TIW covers the passholder plus up to 9 additional persons, but according to TIW rules, the cardholder must pay the bill.

I didn't realize there was a max number of people for the discount - good to know!

One last question - if I purchase them say in October 2017 but don't activate them until January 22, 2018 can I still make my FP+ 60 days out?

One last question - if I purchase them say in October 2017 but don't activate them until January 22, 2018 can I still make my FP+ 60 days out?

Yes your vouchers would be linked to your MDE account if you purchase online. I'm not sure if there's a difference if you purchase by phone.

If you are staying on property for the first trip, you can book FP at 60 days anyway so you may want to wait. Also, deal with Disney directly and if you do purchase in the fall, make sure it is super clear from them when the timeclock starts. We are first time AP's as well...had a trip booked for fall 2016 and a family trip for 2017 that didn't fall under the AP timeline originally so we weren't going to do it. Disney extended the AP timeline to celebrate the 45th anniversary by a month which would cover the dates of our second trip! So on day 1 of our 2016 trip, we went to guest services at MK and upgraded to AP. It took about 10 minutes, went into effect immediately and we saved tons on that trip from all the AP discounts. We were able to do a last minute surprise weekend trip for Dapper Days with an incredible room rate and have continued to save on prep purchases for the 2017 fall trip. We don't have a large bank roll for life in general, let alone a big budget for Disney but after running the numbers (a lot of times), it made sense and has worked out really well for us. I'm sure there are more folks with tons of great advice but for a first time passholder, I have no complaints.

If you are staying on property for the first trip, you can book FP at 60 days anyway so you may want to wait. Also, deal with Disney directly and if you do purchase in the fall, make sure it is super clear from them when the timeclock starts.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, so to make sure it's clear, you do need tickets or an annual pass linked to MDE to book FP, whether you are staying at a Disney resort or not. That is why the OP wants to make the AP purchase in the fall, to be able to book FP 60 days before their January checkin date.

There is no issue with the "timeclock"; the expiration for an AP will be a year from activation, no matter when you actually purchase/pay for it online or over the phone.

An upgrade (renewals too) is a bit different from purchasing a brand new pass. A new pass never starts running until the day it is activated.

APs without resort reservations can only book 30 days out though, not 60 and only for a 7 day rolling window.

I'm trying to figure the first post...I think the OP is asking if they purchase the pass this fall, but don't activate it until January, will they be able to book FPs for a January trip. The answer to that is, yes.

They should probably purchase by mid-November if they want to book 60 day FPs starting January 22. As long as they've purchased the passes and have a resort reservation booked they can make FPs 60 days out.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure the first post...I think the OP is asking if they purchase the pass this fall, but don't activate it until January, will they be able to book FPs this fall.

Not sure what they are planning to use as admission in the fall though. If they're not going to WDW in the fall there must be some other reason why they want to purchase APs in the fall. They should probably purchase before mid-November if they want to book 60 day FPs starting January 22.

If you want to purchase an annual pass but not activate it, do it by phone or online.

OP likely wants to purchase before any type of rise in ticket prices. If you know you're going to Disney and have the money to buy tickets, it's always good to purchase it as soon as you can. You wait, and you might have to pay more due to a ticket increase

Yes, but they want to wait until fall. If they want to avoid price increases maybe purchase ASAP, so there must be some other reason they want to wait until fall. I thought at first they were going in the fall but I see they are not.

You can buy an AP anytime you want. The 1 year clock doesn't start ticking until you go to Disney in person and stop by guest services to activate it

You must have tickets linked to your mde to be able to make FP's

For dining you can cover yourself and 3 other people. You'll want to check out the discount at some restaurants if that's something you want to use. Some restaurants don't give discounts during lunch or other implications. The AP holder HAS to pay for the bill if using the discount. The AP holder can't pass over their discount card and then grandma pay for it or something. And also anywhere you buy something, never hurts to say "do you guys do AP discounts?". You'd be surprised some places you can save

Yes, but they want to wait until fall. If they want to avoid price increases maybe purchase ASAP, so there must be some other reason they want to wait until fall. I thought at first they were going in the fall but I see they are not.

They just need to purchase prior to Nov 23rd. Fall starts in September so I imagine purchasing around Sept/Oct is when their planning

Thanks for all the great information. Yes I just want to purchase the AP's this fall so I can make FP+ in November. Will keep a close eye on prices for sure. And we will be paying *all"* the bills - lol! So that works for us to have the AP's. Thank you again for your replies and assistance.

M.K.

As long as the AP voucher is linked to your MDE account and you have a room reservation, you can make your FP at 60 day, even if your pass is not yet activated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter