Animal kingdom standard room

Meridagal

Mouseketeer
The deals this January seem really good. We are looking at a standard room. Does anyone know how many rooms in the standard section have bunk beds? Also what are the con/pros for staying at ak? We have the Royal room at riverside booked but a standard room at ak is less than a $100 difference for 6 nights.

I looked at touring plans about this for my trip. According to them there were only 3....

We had a standard view, bunk bed room on our trip in April. I didn't specifically book it, and was originally assigned a room right over the main entry way/porte cocher, which I didn't like so I asked (nicely) if we could be switched. The CM offered us room 3378. It was a very long hike from the main lobby, but I thought it was a great room because we had tons of animals outside our room.

The deals this January seem really good. We are looking at a standard room...what are the con/pros for staying at ak? We have the Royal room at riverside booked but a standard room at ak is less than a $100 difference for 6 nights.
AKL is beautiful, and all guests get to use two feature pools: the one at Jambo and the one at Kidani. Its quick-service restaurant, the Mara, is nice imo. We had good bus service, too. Loved our stay at AKL.

We were in a standard room that had great animal views (giraffe, everything), because we were on the Kudu Trail. Call to request the Kudu Trail (or select "Near Paddock" as your only request during online check-in), and maybe you'll also get lucky enough to get a standard room with an animal view.

Last edited:
The deals this January seem really good. We are looking at a standard room. Does anyone know how many rooms in the standard section have bunk beds? Also what are the con/pros for staying at ak? We have the Royal room at riverside booked but a standard room at ak is less than a $100 difference for 6 nights.

Very, very few. According to the room finder on touring plans, there is only one. If you really want bunk beds, I would price out a pool view, bunk bed room which would guarantee bunk beds. Otherwise, if you don't absolutely need them, I would book the standard and at least put in the request. Riverside if very nice, but AKL is a big upgrade IMHO. Gorgeous resort, fantastic restaurants, great pools. I would do it!

AKL is our most favorite place in the world, so I really only have pros to share ;)

-Totally unique atmosphere; truly a destination unto it self. Nothing beats walking in to Jambo House for the first time
-Fantastic TS choices - we always have dinner at Boma twice (they rotate 2 dinner menus), QS at the Mara is fine, but the TS really stands out. My inlaws enjoy getting a drink at the bar in Jambo House.
-Animal lookouts, night vision viewing (We paid extra for a savanna view room once, wouldn't do it again because it's so easy to see the animals other placees)
- Buses, in our experience, run well. Yes, it's a little farther of a ride to MK, but every resort is close to some parks and far from others. We've never had any trouble.
- Gift shop has a lot of unique items, fun to browse. Check the times when the artist is there carving. Very cool to see
- AWESOME resort activities - love the drumming in the lobby!
- Great place to look for Hidden Mickeys. the one at Boma had us stumped for the longest time
- Both pools are wonderful, the hot tubs are semi-private
- Playground is small but partially enclosed
- the flamingos by the bridge!!!

AKL is our most favorite place in the world, so I really only have pros to share ;)

-Totally unique atmosphere; truly a destination unto it self. Nothing beats walking in to Jambo House for the first time
-Fantastic TS choices - we always have dinner at Boma twice (they rotate 2 dinner menus), QS at the Mara is fine, but the TS really stands out. My inlaws enjoy getting a drink at the bar in Jambo House.
-Animal lookouts, night vision viewing (We paid extra for a savanna view room once, wouldn't do it again because it's so easy to see the animals other placees)
- Buses, in our experience, run well. Yes, it's a little farther of a ride to MK, but every resort is close to some parks and far from others. We've never had any trouble.
- Gift shop has a lot of unique items, fun to browse. Check the times when the artist is there carving. Very cool to see
- AWESOME resort activities - love the drumming in the lobby!
- Great place to look for Hidden Mickeys. the one at Boma had us stumped for the longest time
- Both pools are wonderful, the hot tubs are semi-private
- Playground is small but partially enclosed
- the flamingos by the bridge!!!

I totally agree with everything in this post! The only negative in my opinion, is that AKL is off in a somewhat isolated corner of property, and bus transportation is the only transit option. Frankly, this really isn't an issue for the water parks, Disney Springs, or Studios. However, Epcot is a bit of a ride and MK can be 25-40 minutes depending on traffic. The bus service does run well, but it is something to keep in mind, especially if you really love MK.

Bunk beds are a bookable category with savannah view, but not with standard. We had a standard with bunk beds last year - right off the lobby with a partial savannah view (mostly at the feeding pen).

We LOVED AKL. We liked our Royal Room too, but the whole resort at AKL is just so amazingly themed. I'd stay there every time if I could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter