Angry lifting block out dates

Out of curiosity, what were the blackout dates?
For August, Silver can return to the park Friday 8/11. The first 2 weeks of August were blacked out. As was the entire month of July. June had 1 week at the start open (I believe - I could be wrong... I'm silver for a reason - no desire to go in the heat and crowds!).

but this is unfair why do they want to make it so crowded all the time? they should not let someone into the park who was not supposed to be there. they're supposed to be fair and not play favorite to some ap
Sorry, but Disney is in the money making business. It makes perfect sense that they want the parks crowded at all times because that's more people spending money. Slow times are great for guests but not Disney. A business decision can be annoying to the park goer but make perfect sense from the company's point of view. No one ever said life was fair and that includes Disneyworld.

Sorry, but Disney is in the money making business. It makes perfect sense that they want the parks crowded at all times because that's more people spending money. Slow times are great for guests but not Disney. A business decision can be annoying to the park goer but make perfect sense from the company's point of view. No one ever said life was fair and that includes Disneyworld.

But they need to strike a balance. We paid peak prices but they cut hours which in the summer makes it more difficult to avoid the heat and crowds. When the company becomes tone deaf to quests needs it will become an issue.

There is no longer a night time parade in the MK so the crowd that would be waiting 2 hours to see it are now in que's and using FP+. For a couple years they also had EMH at the water parks and it was lovely to get in and get a seat an hour early at 9AM instead of 10 AM. They also cut direct buses from the resort to the WP's forcing us to take a taxi or Uber over instead of the lengthy bus ride with a transfer.

WDW is not a cheap vacation but everyone makes an individual judgement on its value.

But they need to strike a balance. We paid peak prices but they cut hours which in the summer makes it more difficult to avoid the heat and crowds. When the company becomes tone deaf to quests needs it will become an issue.

There is no longer a night time parade in the MK so the crowd that would be waiting 2 hours to see it are now in que's and using FP+. For a couple years they also had EMH at the water parks and it was lovely to get in and get a seat an hour early at 9AM instead of 10 AM. They also cut direct buses from the resort to the WP's forcing us to take a taxi or Uber over instead of the lengthy bus ride with a transfer.

WDW is not a cheap vacation but everyone makes an individual judgement on its value.
I really hope you have reached out to Disney and let them know your frustrations about the shorter hours, again these boards are here to plan and for some, to vent but no real change will come from everyone venting here, please email Disney wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I copied this from another poster , because I didn't know how to get the quote plus thing to work :

" On top of that, current AP holders who are DVC or FL residents are capable of changing their tickets from Gold to Platinum Plus at no charge. This, essentially, negates the block out dates as well."""""""

WAIT What ? is this true ?

Where does it say " gold " Florida residents passholders can
upgrade to a platinum plus for free ?

Is there a date this has to be done by if this is for real ?

That I have no clue about free. I was discussing upgrading for cost. I wouldn't be shocked if the DVC offer says new tickets only anyways.

I really hope you have reached out to Disney and let them know your frustrations about the shorter hours, again these boards are here to plan and for some, to vent but no real change will come from everyone venting here, please email Disney wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I'm looking at the bright side. During Easter break, they used to have EMH every morning at MK in addition to the other parks so instead of leaving the hotel at 7AM and being unable to enjoy breakfast in the club lounge which opened at 7AM this trip we ate breakfast because that is what makes a WDW vacation a winner. Coffee and a bowl of cereal instead of the MK.

Last edited:
OK I shot off a quick email.

Did anyone else notice Impression's de France is now down to twice an hour instead of three?

No one is stopping to watch Off Kilter at the Canadian Pavilion or The World Showcase Players in the UK pavilion. I watched their Camelot show many times and we all still laughed at the same jokes. EPCOT did feel very uncrowded with the exception of FEA. There wasn't much to stop and watch.

I copied this from another poster , because I didn't know how to get the quote plus thing to work :

" On top of that, current AP holders who are DVC or FL residents are capable of changing their tickets from Gold to Platinum Plus at no charge. This, essentially, negates the block out dates as well."""""""

WAIT What ? is this true ?

Where does it say " gold " Florida residents passholders can
upgrade to a platinum plus for free ?

Is there a date this has to be done by if this is for real ?

Why would they allow that? Why not just give them the PP at a greater discount?

I had Gold.
I upgraded to PP.
I had to pay the FULL difference, even though my pass was 4 mos old.
Not free, I actually feel like I paid more for less months.

For seasonal passes, Gold passes are blocked out 2 weeks at Easter and 2 weeks at Christmas/New Years. They are sold to DVC members and Florida residents. The next level, Silver pass, is blocked out in the summer as well. There's also the Weekday Select which I think is only good for entrance Monday-Thursday? Silver and Weekday Select are only sold to Florida residents.

There's currently a deal for DVC members who can for a limited time buy a Platinum Plus pass with no blockout dates for the price of a gold pass. Uh oh, more DVC members in the parks on more days. And the water parks too. Disney can't do that, there are people out there who paid full price for a platinum plus pass.

If this is what you saw, this looks like a special deal offered to DVC to get them to buy passes.

I'm seeing that the DVC 25% off on the platinum plus does apply to renewals and upgrades as long as they are done before January 3. I have a gold pass expiring January 7 so if I can renew it before January 3 I might be able to renew it as a platinum plus. If not, I'll buy a new platinum plus and activate it in March. No blockout issues!

This thread reminds me of when my 8yo complains because his sister got to have ice cream at a friend's house, and he didn't get any. Or when my 11yo was upset because the 8yo was given a fidget spinner by a friend, and she didn't have one. It's. Not. FAIR!!!!!!

But at least I can understand that. I get why someone might be unhappy that they paid more for a pass so that they could gain access to the parks on specific dates, only to find out that they might have gotten the same access with a cheaper pass, if only their crystal ball had been working that day. I think it's sad that we live in a world that encourages people to be envious of the good fortune of others, but that *is* the world we live in, and I understand it, even if I don't agree with it.

The argument that the parks are going to be more crowded now, so this is somehow taking away from the whole "Platinum experience"? That one I just don't get. For a start, I'm in the camp that says it's not going to have any measurable impact. Who are these people who are just going to drop everything to make a last minute, unplanned trip to Disney, even if it is nearby? People who presumably go frequently anyway, outside of the blackout dates, so it's not like this is a big novelty. Don't these people work? Kids have soccer games and birthday parties to go to? Plans with friends? Houses to be cleaned, lawns to be mowed, pets to be walked and fed? I mean, I'm sure that a few will take advantage, but most people have busy lives, and they're not going to rearrange them just to go do something they can pretty much do anytime they want anyway.

Beyond that, anyone who can seriously claim that they bought a Platinum Pass or planned their trip during a peak time because they thought the parks would be less crowded during Sliver and Gold blackout dates was clearly not doing their research. Even the most cursory investigation would show the absurdity of such a decision. Hard to have much sympathy for that.

This thread reminds me of when my 8yo complains because his sister got to have ice cream at a friend's house, and he didn't get any. Or when my 11yo was upset because the 8yo was given a fidget spinner by a friend, and she didn't have one. It's. Not. FAIR!!!!!!

But at least I can understand that. I get why someone might be unhappy that they paid more for a pass so that they could gain access to the parks on specific dates, only to find out that they might have gotten the same access with a cheaper pass, if only their crystal ball had been working that day. I think it's sad that we live in a world that encourages people to be envious of the good fortune of others, but that *is* the world we live in, and I understand it, even if I don't agree with it.

The argument that the parks are going to be more crowded now, so this is somehow taking away from the whole "Platinum experience"? That one I just don't get. For a start, I'm in the camp that says it's not going to have any measurable impact. Who are these people who are just going to drop everything to make a last minute, unplanned trip to Disney, even if it is nearby? People who presumably go frequently anyway, outside of the blackout dates, so it's not like this is a big novelty. Don't these people work? Kids have soccer games and birthday parties to go to? Plans with friends? Houses to be cleaned, lawns to be mowed, pets to be walked and fed? I mean, I'm sure that a few will take advantage, but most people have busy lives, and they're not going to rearrange them just to go do something they can pretty much do anytime they want anyway.

Beyond that, anyone who can seriously claim that they bought a Platinum Pass or planned their trip during a peak time because they thought the parks would be less crowded during Sliver and Gold blackout dates was clearly not doing their research. Even the most cursory investigation would show the absurdity of such a decision. Hard to have much sympathy for that.
Here you go, bringing logic and well thought out ideas in to the discussion ;)

Can we get an AMEN?! :worship:

On the other hand, if silver passholders were planning to go just to visit Great Movie Ride and Ellen's Energy Adventure one last time, they won't be limited to just the weekend of August 11. I'd assume this will mean fewer crowds for those rides and maybe other rides on those 3 days and will spread the silver/weekday traffic, what there is of it, out over 2 weeks. (On the 13th there will likely be a few groups of locals planning to see those out on their last day though...no idea how big the groups are but it won't be hundreds)

On the other hand, if silver/weekday passholders were planning to go just to visit Great Movie Ride and Ellen's Energy Adventure one last time, they won't be limited to just the weekend of August 11. I'd assume this will mean fewer crowds for those rides and maybe other rides on those 3 days. (On the 13th there will likely be a few groups of locals planning to see those out on their last day though...no idea how big the groups are but it won't be hundreds)
Fair assumption.

Hubby and I are silver. When they announced the closings, we quickly booked a weekend trip to POR to ride both one last time. It was great timing for us - the weekend before school starts again (I teach) and our passes were no longer blocked out. When the blockout was lifted, we didn't change our plans... why? Because it didn't work with our schedule. The OP's post makes it seem like silver passholders have the ability to drop everything and hit the parks. Some do, of course, but as you state, it certainly ain't gonna be hundreds!

Last edited:
I am not following the logic of expecting lower crowds during blackout periods. These are the busiest times, hence why Disney can charge higher prices. You are not getting lower crowds for the higher prices. Unless you are booking a private party. Then I assume you are paying quite a bit to have the park just for your group.

Are there really that many people who bought higher level AP just so they can go only during the blackout times? It just does not seem likely this would impact many people as far as cost goes.

I can see being disappointed that you might not have lower than ave crowds now. However I don't see how those who bought the tickets they wanted for that time are being ripped off.

You know what? I think you should donate the money for the renewal of your annual passes which you seem to complain so much about to Give Kids The World. Benefit families who may only ever get the one trip to Disney World in their lifetimes. They're a far more deserving bunch frankly.

AMEN!

And HALLELUJAH! Exactly. The amount of people this is OPEN to is far greater than the amount of people that will be able to/want to take advantage of it.

If you don't have a choice but to go during blockout times, that's one thing. Like the previous poster I can see being annoyed because as it turns out, if you are a Florida resident, you could have bought the cheaper pass for the same effect. Cest la vie.

But I have never heard of anyone advising, you need to go to WDW during seasonal pass blockouts, it'll be less crowded during the blockout times. (Disneyland is totally different in this regard.) The reason they were blocked in the first place is because those times are anticipated to be MORE crowded. So, now they are not as crowded as anticipated, and they lifted the blockout. I'm not following. That should mean it will be LESS crowded than you thought it would be when you decided to go during a peak period.

Unless the main issue is that you don't care if it's more or less crowded, you don't like seeing the seasonal passholders getting something that it's perceived they didn't pay for. There's a lot of that going around about various things in the world.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter