Angry lifting block out dates

They may say that...but they are doing it because of attendance. That's the only reason they ever lift blackout dates, not solely because the seasonal passholders want ten more days to visit two rides.

It's not the first time they've done it. And it's all four parks..not just Epcot and HS.

What I see is,
Disney got requests from some blocked out passholders asking if there was any way they could get access to go to the rides that are going to close before their blockout dates are lifted.
Disney also realized that attendance is down. They looked at the 2 numbers and realized that allowing the passholders to come to the parks wouldn't impact the parks negatively so they made the change.
Possibly, had the attendance been at a level of prior years, they wouldn't have made this change.
Anyway, just my theory.

They may say that...but they are doing it because of attendance. That's the only reason they ever lift blackout dates, not solely because the seasonal passholders want ten more days to visit two rides.

It's not the first time they've done it. And it's all four parks..not just Epcot and HS.

Okay...I thought they were just being nice to us Florida residents so that people wouldn't get 'angry' ;) that they missed out on rides that were closing.

Maybe, but they've gotten requests since the announcement for access to the parks. Had it been just for attendance they could have lifted the black out dates earlier. Or they could have announced the lifting when they announced the closures. I think there is a more direct correlation between this announcement and the requests from the passholders.
As for it being all 4 parks vs. just the 2, that's probably a logistics thing. Easier to just open all vs turning on just 2 in their system.

A perk is a perk and I am ok with that. Good for them. It's not like a free cupcake on your birthday. Disney charges extra and a good bit at that for me to be able to go at non block out times. So by them giving away something that I paid for that could add wait times to what is supposed to be an already busy time is not ok. And when I started the thread I read the headline and didn't know it was only 10 days or so plus weekends.

It's 10 days total, less for weekday passes. For us, the gold pass costs around $170 more than the silver pass so we're talking $17/day. Not including the 8 weeks of summer that silver passes were still blacked out. So if you do the math on that, that makes it a little more than $2.50 per day for gold access during the summer. You could theoretically be justified in arguing for a $25 refund if you bought a gold pass specifically for the 1st week in august.

Forgive me if I missed this in a previous post, but it was my understanding the blackout dates were lifted due to the timing of ride closures and wanting to allow FL residents to enjoy them one last time because they close on Aug 13/17: (copied from website)

"Walt Disney World will be lifting block-out dates in August on annual passes that would not typically allow entry to the parks during this time so that guests may say goodbye to two classic attractions."
"While we don’t have the exact dates yet, Disney should be distributing that information to guests later this week. The adjusted block-out will allow these guests to enter Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to ride the Universe of Energy and the Great Movie Ride one last time. Of course, guests will get to experience other things in the parks as well, not limited to these rides."

Which website? Can you post the actual link?

We have FL Resident Passes, one with block out dates, and we have received no notification nor do I see anything on FL AP pages.

Which website? Can you post the actual link?

We have FL Resident Passes, one with block out dates, and we have received no notification nor do I see anything on FL AP pages.

I thought I saw it on the WDW twitter actually.

I said who cares and I am not local. I am a tourist who bought airfare and accommodations during this time.
I think it's ridiculous to believe this change is going to have any impact on waits for rides in any way whatsoever.

Ditto! I will be there during this time. Not even a blip on my radar... come one, come all.

I think they have gotten requests from seasonal passholders to allow them more time to visit the closing rides, but that's not the full and complete reason for the blackout lift. They wouldn't have done it if the parks were already too crowded.

I think they have gotten requests from seasonal passholders to allow them more time to visit the closing rides, but that's not the full and complete reason for the blackout lift. They wouldn't have done it if the parks were already too crowded.
Yes, this I agree with. When they started to get the requests they sat down to look at the numbers and put the 2 and 2 together and realized it wouldn't impact the parks negatively to allow the seasons passes to come. At least that's how I see it.

They wouldn't have done it if the parks were already too crowded.
They did the same thing over Easter last year. And I'm pretty sure the parks could have been classified as crowded even without the blackout being lifted.

The problem of course is that Disney's definition of "crowded enough" is likely quite different from the average guest's definition.

Lifting the blackout dates is nothing new,I remember them doing it several years when it was the seasonal pass.The only difference is back when they did it they didnt offer the gold pass that has no summer block out dates,those are the few people that may have some kind of issue with it,but its only 10 days if you really have a big problem with it then there's bigger issues there,and they're not on Disneys end.I have the silver pass so I am benefitting from those 10 days,but as anyone who's been out there lately 95 degrees and heat indexes of 110 and daily rain I'm not exactly counting the days down until Aug 1st to get into the parks,that's exactly why I bought the silver,I don't feel the need to have heat stroke.Even though I'm local and do most or all of the concerts at Food and Wine I wasn't very excited that they're starting at the end of August,its just too hot.There's basically three things that are going to probably bring me out there for the first 10 days of August,to ride Universe of Energy,GMR and maybe show up one night after dark to ride FoP.I had already made FPs for GMR after the original block out dates,I knew it would be crazy those 3 days so Disney is actually reducing the craziness by giving us those 10 days,it just made sense.

You know what? I think you should donate the money for the renewal of your annual passes which you seem to complain so much about to Give Kids The World. Benefit families who may only ever get the one trip to Disney World in their lifetimes. They're a far more deserving bunch frankly.

So I guess you're trying to say that many overseas visitors are skipping Disney and NYC this summer and heading to Universal Orlando instead? :P

Visitors from South America and Europe are definitely down,Universal is gaining attendance simply cause they're gaining popularity and momentum.If we were getting more International visitors the increases for Universal would be greater.Why do you think Disney made all those announcements during D23,all these attractions are getting built due to one reason and that's Universal,competition is very good.

It's only 10 days earlier due to the short notice of closures for GMR and Ellen considering that weekday select pass holders would only get one day to enjoy and silver would only get 3 days

They did the same thing over Easter last year. And I'm pretty sure the parks could have been classified as crowded even without the blackout being lifted.

The problem of course is that Disney's definition of "crowded enough" is likely quite different from the average guest's definition.

but this is unfair why do they want to make it so crowded all the time? they should not let someone into the park who was not supposed to be there. they're supposed to be fair and not play favorite to some ap

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!