An UNWRITTEN rule at your work

Don’t make the coffee. Only the two grumpiest and oldest women in the whole office were allowed to make coffee. If you weren’t either of those two, and you made coffee, they would chew you out for doing so.

Courtesy flushes are for sissies.
So is working from home - share your illness with the rest of the office population.
When you do come in, cough/hack/sneeze as loudly as possible.
Ignore the multitude of collaboration/meeting spaces on the floor and have a full-on lengthy conversation at your desk that is six inches away from your nearest co-worker.

The boss allowing someone to leave 15-30 minutes early for special occasions doesn't mean the same person has a special occasion every single day.

On a similar note, leaving me a voicemail that just says, "call me" is absolutely, positively NOT going to result in me calling you. And I don't care who you are. If you can't be bothered to even clue me in as to why you called, I'm going to assume it wasn't important enough to warrant a response.
::yes:: I feel you! This may be a little OT, but at my work we handle active warranty files on at least 500 houses at any given time. Our voicemails all specifically say "please leave your name, telephone number and address". Daily we get messages along the lines of "Hi, this is Cathy. I've got a loose cabinet door, you know the one beside my fridge? Please send somebody over." And then they get cranky because we don't respond fast enough. :rotfl2:

No fish can be microwaved.
This is true in my office as well. WE have a new one: No cabbage! A coworker microwaved her leftover cabbage, our boss walked into the office and almost fainted. WE have no written rules at all, but the DO NOT EVER BRING CABBAGE INTO THIS OFFICE AGAIN. is our first spoke rule! LOL!!!

My staff know these as I say them often.
1) Family first, work/life balance is a must.
2) Never let me get blindsided, tell me if there is a problem.
3) Live the values; Caring, Honesty, Respect & Responsibility.
4) We all make mistakes, own it, learn from it and move on.

My employer folllows this set as well. He never has an issue if there is a family event, concern, or illness. HE set us all up to telecommute so we can manage snow or childcare concerns, and never asks more than any one of us can do.

HE wants to know if there is a problem. He will guide us in how to handle problems. I am dedicated to payroll for all of the small businesses who choose to use this service, and he needs to know if any of them are in trouble with regards to meeting payroll, liabilities, DUA complications, etc. He can help them correct just about anything if he knows.

WE are a small office. He will not tolerate drama, lies or nastiness. Be nice and he is all set with us.

No need to hide under a mistake. He will help us to correct it. WE learn from the mistakes.

Courtesy flushes are for sissies.
So is working from home - share your illness with the rest of the office population.
When you do come in, cough/hack/sneeze as loudly as possible.
Ignore the multitude of collaboration/meeting spaces on the floor and have a full-on lengthy conversation at your desk that is six inches away from your nearest co-worker.

I see what you did there.

As an addition to this rule: if you discover that someone HAS eaten the food out of the lunchroom fridge, do not send out an internal email to everyone in the company about the missing food...
Hahaha - This falls firmly into the "get a life" category. We have a ridiculous goof in our office that storms around inspecting everybody's lunch to try and match it to splatters left inside the microwave...:rotfl2:
No microwaving fish.
I have a personal rule that nobody should microwave eggs either. :crazy2:

When I am king there shall be no microwaving of eggs!!

::yes:: I feel you! This may be a little OT, but at my work we handle active warranty files on at least 500 houses at any given time. Our voicemails all specifically say "please leave your name, telephone number and address". Daily we get messages along the lines of "Hi, this is Cathy. I've got a loose cabinet door, you know the one beside my fridge? Please send somebody over." And then they get cranky because we don't respond fast enough. :rotfl2:

Back when I was putting on mud racing events, I'd have guys call my house and leave questions, saying call me back at 867-5309 - no area code. Thankfully, I had caller ID in those days because 9 times out of 10, they'd be calling from OUTSIDE my area code.

Assume you will be working through your lunch most of the time

Read between the lines! Listen to what your boss says about "other" people, and do what she says. She will rarely tell you what YOU should be doing.

When your boss "suggests" you *may* want to log into the network on MKL day and just "check in", just do it no matter if you want to or not, and make sure she sees that you are online.

Ask everyone you pass on the way if they want anything from downstairs when you are about to visit the cafeteria/food court on the first floor of your building. Apparently if you don't you are being anti-social? :confused3

Those are great. But would never fly in my place.
Sorry to hear but I know that, I hear that from other colleges and friends too. Often say that couldn't have my attitude (since I'm the boss I help to set the tone) but when I tell them I've had staff for 17+ years and many others for well over 12 they at least listen.

My office (and my supervisors) live by this as well. One of the first places I've worked at where actions match these words. I feel very lucky.
That's awesome!

My employer folllows this set as well. He never has an issue if there is a family event, concern, or illness.
HE wants to know if there is a problem. He will guide us in how to handle problems.
No need to hide under a mistake. He will help us to correct it. WE learn from the mistakes.
That's great, and attitude I can totally appreciate. My team knows I don't hire robots or people that think exactly like me, but you have to be accommodating.

My employees (mostly) know not to talk to me the first 15 minutes of the day. Just give me 15 minutes to get settled, check my email and take a breath. Then they can proceed to come in and out of my office all day long.

Sorry to hear but I know that, I hear that from other colleges and friends too. Often say that couldn't have my attitude (since I'm the boss I help to set the tone) but when I tell them I've had staff for 17+ years and many others for well over 12 they at least listen.
And you have hit the nail on the head. Some businesses don't want staff to stick around. They want everyone at the minimum vacation, and it used to be they wanted as few people as possible vested in the employee match, but the IRS kind of makes it tough these days to not having an employee immediately 100% vested. 2 year employment contracts are the norm in my business, with no renewal offered.

Don't praise another person for doing a job well done, at least not too often. Apparently it sparks jealousy.

Don't microwave fish or beansprouts, sadly not everyone follows this :crazy2:

This is true in my office as well. WE have a new one: No cabbage! A coworker microwaved her leftover cabbage, our boss walked into the office and almost fainted. WE have no written rules at all, but the DO NOT EVER BRING CABBAGE INTO THIS OFFICE AGAIN. is our first spoke rule! LOL!!!

BASICALLY, ANYTHING HEALTHY IS BANNED FROM THE MICROWAVE. BACON CHEESEBURGERS ARE OKAY, BROCCOLI, CAULIFLOWER, FISH, NOPE.

My employer folllows this set as well. He never has an issue if there is a family event, concern, or illness. HE set us all up to telecommute so we can manage snow or childcare concerns, and never asks more than any one of us can do.

HE wants to know if there is a problem. He will guide us in how to handle problems. I am dedicated to payroll for all of the small businesses who choose to use this service, and he needs to know if any of them are in trouble with regards to meeting payroll, liabilities, DUA complications, etc. He can help them correct just about anything if he knows.

WE are a small office. He will not tolerate drama, lies or nastiness. Be nice and he is all set with us.

I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THIS AND I HAVE WORKED FOR MANAGERS IN THE PAST WITH THIS AGENDA AND IT WORKED GREAT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts