An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been in a 2 bed at BWV since Sunday. We had not seen housekeeping even once when they came in to empty the trash. Yesterday, we forgot to remove the "room occupied" sign from one of the doors, so the rooms had not been entered when we returned in the early afternoon. Shortly after we got in the room, we had a phone call asking when it would be convenient for housekeeping to come to the room. We answered that we were fine with it immediately, and they came around five minutes later. We leave tomorrow, and so far, not one intrusive entry by anyone.

We have been in a 2 bed at BWV since Sunday. We had not seen housekeeping even once when they came in to empty the trash. Yesterday, we forgot to remove the "room occupied" sign from one of the doors, so the rooms had not been entered when we returned in the early afternoon. Shortly after we got in the room, we had a phone call asking when it would be convenient for housekeeping to come to the room. We answered that we were fine with it immediately, and they came around five minutes later. We leave tomorrow, and so far, not one intrusive entry by anyone.
Sounds like the visits are just as inconsistent as everyone is saying!

Sounds like the visits are just as inconsistent as everyone is saying!

I'm :confused3 how patty57's experience supports inconcistency?
Sunday: check in, no service expected (right?)
Monday: trash removed while out
Tuesday: trash removed while out
Wednesday: trash removed while out
Thursday: Room Occupied sign heeded, room not entered until cleared with guest

I'm :confused3 how patty57's experience supports inconcistency?
Sunday: check in, no service expected (right?)
Monday: trash removed while out
Tuesday: trash removed while out
Wednesday: trash removed while out
Thursday: Room Occupied sign heeded, room not entered until cleared with guest

That was my thought. How is this supporting inconsistancey? I saw it as a positive sign that perhaps the staff is finally getting it right.

Frankly, if patty57's account of what happened was my trip, I could live with it as it was a sign that Disney was beginning again to show respect to guests for their privacy. But if you look at recent accounts people have shared on the pinned post "Guest experiences with daily room checks" you might reasonably conclude there was a case still to be made for inconsistency as coast2coastmickey stated.

Welcome Home

Cause some people hear what they want to hear..

That post by itself does not show inconsistency, but when taken in comparison to recent posts from other guests, as noted above, there is inconsistency... As you said, some people hear what they want to hear. Some people choose to ignore what they don't want to hear. Certainly, that happens on both sides of this, but it certainly seems like you're doing exactly what you're saying others are doing.

So, the next time you visit Disney, how do you plan to deal with these room checks?

1. I agree with the new policy, I won't do anything different.
2. I disagree with the new policy and will ___________________.
3. Something else.

So, the next time you visit Disney, how do you plan to deal with these room checks?

3. Something else.

I don't plan to do anything. We use mousekeeping so if someone wants to check the room during that timeframe, fine. If they need to come in later in the day, fine. If we find we have any special circumstances I will speak to the concierge to address it.

3. Something else.

2. I disagree with the new policy. I will meet and speak in person with both resort and housekeeping managers to request timing for room checks upon check in and make sure I write down their names. In the event I have a problem I will take it up with those individuals and go further up the line if necessary. I won’t change the way I use the room however; if I feel like sleeping in or taking an afternoon nap or taking a shower after a swim in the afternoon, I will. I will make absolutely sure the security lock is on 100% of the time I am in the room as well as the bathroom door lock if I am alone inthe room, and I’ll advise family members to do the same. If things go south, I’ll likely sell my DVC points but if things go well, I’ll send a letter of positive feedback to Disney.

3. Something else.
2 for us. We’ll stay swan dolphin or off site.

3. Something else.

I'm somewhere between 1 and 2. I won't do anything different while in my room. The number of posters who say they never used the latch before shocks me, I have always used it. Though most everyone did, but I guess not. I also won't waste my time arguing with the person doing the checks, or going out of my way to talk to managers demanding they accommodate my schedule. Much easier and less time consuming to let them do their peek, which seems to take 30 seconds.

Fwiw, I'm only staying at the Swan and Dolphin next trip as we got a great deal on the rooms thru Hotwire. Can't beat just over $100 a night! It is not because I'm trying to avoid the room check.

Swandolphin is a great alternative. I have paid nominal amounts but usually stay on Spg points, and get a room upgrade plus drink coupons. I find Front desk people at swandolphin are more professional and generous than Disney ones. Can’t beat getting 5th night free on points. Love the Cabana bar drinks and better than Disney pools. New dolphin lobby looks and smells great. And close enough to easily visit the boardwalk and the Bellevue’s lounge.

Not to mention at least as recently as this February no knocks or room checks when you have your DND sign up at swandolphin.

For the record I use the DND (now RO) signs and dour latches. Once in a while I might forget, I am a senior citizen! Not anymore. Didn’t have to worry about it anyway in DVC rooms except every 4th day, and then they somehow seemed to manage to do it while we were out. Now i’ll send myself RO reminder alerts on my phone so I never ever forget ☎️.

Last edited:

3. Something else.

I will opt out of housekeeping and call housekeeping early everyday when I'm ready to request something, hoping that will count as my room check. We'll see.

3. Something else.

I most likely won't even think about the new policy.
If we find during our trip that something happens that I need to make a complaint about, I will go to the front desk and register my complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter