Amazed and Disappointed

but it is obvious that MK no longer has anywhere near the necessary capacity to give their crowds a pleasant and orderly arrival and departure, with departure normally being much more disastrous and unpleasant, especially if you need to ride the monorail or ferry boat...it is my least favorite park b/c of this exiting fiasco...

MK is my least favorite park in terms of getting to and getting out of. One day when the monorails were down, the only transportation was the ferry boats. It took us 90 minutes from the time we left our car in the lot, to the time we cleared the tapstiles.

I agree with you. The current transportation system is barely to not adequate when everything is working fine. When something is down, like the monorails, its a debacle.

my suggestion of filling in the lake and letting people walk right out to their parked cars there and leave was not well-received:)

I do find it telling that at Epcot (except for the International Gateway), DHS and AK, the parking lots adjoin the entrance. Disney never repeated having the park entrance significantly separated from the parking lot.

Last edited:
Cynical me says that THIS might be he best thing to put in a letter to Disney... make one out to Iger.
Yeah - I probably should write a letter. The thing is though that we are still enjoying our vacation and I"m not sure I want to lose this money saving option for future visits, LOL. AP rates for standard view rooms at AKL are $227/night (we asked - and were assigned - a partial savannah view), so hanging at the resort and pool is relaxing, inexpensive, and fun. Oh and there is 20% AP discount at The Mara (AKL QS). Last night we did go over to AK for a late night dinner at Satuli Canteen (inexpensive AND delicious), which was preceded by riding EE 4X in a row with a combination of FP, single rider, and virtually walk-on as standby. I've also introduced my children to the concept of having "cocktails" in the lounges of the deluxes. They are getting a kick out of comparing Shirley Temples and (non-alcoholic) Pina Coladas at various locations - this is what we do if we start feeling cabin fever at our home resort or want to do something else before heading back from time in the parks (Tambu Lounge will make virgin drinks in those hollowed-out pineapples, which my kids really loved). And Blaze Pizza is another big hit with us - again, inexpensive AND delicious. I can't believe we are actually saving money this year by staying at a deluxe instead of a value. It really highlights for me how much we had been spending on TS meals, $5.00 Mickey bars, and all those other items in the parks. It's surreal.

Yeah - I probably should write a letter. The thing is though that we are still enjoying our vacation and I"m not sure I want to lose this money saving option for future visits, LOL. AP rates for standard view rooms at AKL are $227/night (we asked - and were assigned - a partial savannah view), so hanging at the resort and pool is relaxing, inexpensive, and fun. Oh and there is 20% AP discount at The Mara (AKL QS). Last night we did go over to AK for a late night dinner at Satuli Canteen (inexpensive AND delicious), which was preceded by riding EE 4X in a row with a combination of FP, single rider, and virtually walk-on as standby. I've also introduced my children to the concept of having "cocktails" in the lounges of the deluxes. They are getting a kick out of comparing Shirley Temples and (non-alcoholic) Pina Coladas at various locations - this is what we do if we start feeling cabin fever at our home resort or want to do something else before heading back from time in the parks (Tambu Lounge will make virgin drinks in those hollowed-out pineapples, which my kids really loved). And Blaze Pizza is another big hit with us - again, inexpensive AND delicious. I can't believe we are actually saving money this year by staying at a deluxe instead of a value. It really highlights for me how much we had been spending on TS meals, $5.00 Mickey bars, and all those other items in the parks. It's surreal.
I hear ya'! :) I just think the idea of perhaps LOSING money might get their attention. Who knows at this point...?

There isn't one time when I was at the parks the week of June 19 where I felt like I didn't have enough time in the day. Not once.

Yes... ... I agree that this isn't how they're using their resources... guest accounts and math appear to suggest that isn't so bright this time -- that's precisely the point. And if you read the accounts, those 2 EMH nights that we will be "lucky" enough to have, have been no picnic when they come as early as 10-12.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/amazed-and-disappointed.3615389/page-20#post-57936102

It's math: what matters is # of "attraction hours". ALL OF AK was open until 11pm last year Jul-Aug to everyone. Now the park CLOSES at 10pm, and they keep ONLY 2 RIDES open. That is a net cut to AK. It just is.
I agree with your points. All of them are quite valid. Last year MK closed at 11pm, and that was an earlier close than the years before. It used to be midnight or later, but I did justify it with AK open later. My kids could finally play in the Boneyard (its way too hot during the day, etc.) and if the whole park were open later again, I'd probably not be complaining...but we lost evening hours at all the parks. After 10pm only 2 rides are open in the entire WDW! In summer when its jammed with crowds and kids! The complaints are justified and I hope you are emailing Disney directly to voice them, as I have. I do want to point out that CA Disney is still open to midnight. Disneyland had EMH today from 7-8AM and is open until Midnight tonight. We were considering booking over Christmas, but MK is posted as 10pm close even during that week, which is making us hesitate. When we booked this trip, months ago we just assumed hours would get adjusted...but they have not at all. I think our next Disney trip will be to California, and we will be checking out Universal while out there too...much less miserable summer weather than Florida humidity, longer hours too...We figure the Universal Hollywood now has HP stuff, and it will be like Hollywood studios for us.

I agree with your points. All of them are quite valid. Last year MK closed at 11pm, and that was an earlier close than the years before. It used to be midnight or later, but I did justify it with AK open later. My kids could finally play in the Boneyard (its way too hot during the day, etc.) and if the whole park were open later again, I'd probably not be complaining...but we lost evening hours at all the parks. After 10pm only 2 rides are open in the entire WDW! In summer when its jammed with crowds and kids! The complaints are justified and I hope you are emailing Disney directly to voice them, as I have. I do want to point out that CA Disney is still open to midnight. Disneyland had EMH today from 7-8AM and is open until Midnight tonight. We were considering booking over Christmas, but MK is posted as 10pm close even during that week, which is making us hesitate. When we booked this trip, months ago we just assumed hours would get adjusted...but they have not at all. I think our next Disney trip will be to California, and we will be checking out Universal while out there too...much less miserable summer weather than Florida humidity, longer hours too...We figure the Universal Hollywood now has HP stuff, and it will be like Hollywood studios for us.
Good points for sure! I'm toying with DL next summer instead of WDW... ...

You won't be sorry! Disneyland is epic...

Having been a local to DL all my life and now taking our "one and done" trip to WDW, I'm almost sorry that we're going in September, given all I've read.

We will, however, still enjoy the magic.
Yes -- we fully expect to enjoy our trip next month!! Just stinks that we'll have fewer hours to do it in, during what are peak times for our enjoyment of MK in years past.

We did a short trip to DL last Jan for the SW light side races and loved it -- even more than I remember from my days of visiting when I lived in San Diego for a few years, many years ago. Would love to go again with more time...

Yes -- we fully expect to enjoy our trip next month!! Just stinks that we'll have fewer hours to do it in, during what are peak times for our enjoyment of MK in years past.

We did a short trip to DL last Jan for the SW light side races and loved it -- even more than I remember from my days of visiting when I lived in San Diego for a few years, many years ago. Would love to go again with more time...

I've read that you are losing 2.5 hours a day this year. :( In my minds eye, there is absolutely zero logic behind this cut back in hours... none.
Oh! You lived in San Diego? I was born and raised there!

I've read that you are losing 2.5 hours a day this year. :( In my minds eye, there is absolutely zero logic behind this cut back in hours... none.
Oh! You lived in San Diego? I was born and raised there!
Exactly -- I really just don't get the logic.

Yes! SD was gorgeous -- lucky you!! :) I moved for a better job opportunity, but would love to go back some day...

Hopefully I didn't give the impression that we didn't have a great time, because we did. My kids are 8 and 6 and if I couldn't enjoy MK with the kids, I'd have to reconsider my mental health. It was a great time and we will return.

The entrance to the park went much smoother than ever before with the addition of different security check points. That was a huge change for the better. I think my solution is something that can't be accomplished.

I love walking under the train station and seeing Main Street. It's like walking out of the real world into the Disney Bubble and dang it if I don't get choked up some times. It's just the quaint entrance that creates these emotions in the morning transforms into a teeny, tiny eye of a needle at night that is expected to funnel 100,000 people out at once. Not happening.

That calendar says AK closed at 5pm last year.
Hi there,
maybe another "First world problem" o_O - but for the sake of correctness and to underline @MickeyMinnieMoms numbers and calculations - AK was open until 11pm every night during July 2016.

There were showings of the infamous :D "Jungle Book - Alive with Magic" each night at 9:00pm and 11 pm - wouldn't make much sense in an otherwise closed park - and in addition I remember vividly many people in various threads raving about how magical EE at night was ...

For some strange reason the August 2016 Disney World Park Hours posted on wdw.info for AK were incorrect - if you look closely you can see that July 1 and 2 have the correct time until 11pm posted - after that it is the wrong 9-5 info - maybe a "copy-and-paste-last-years-hours" mistake :confused3 - who knows ...
The same thing happened with Joshs crowd calendar - maybe because he sort of "abandoned" it for a while last year ...

But if you look at TP + the fact, that during the whole short life of "Jungle Book - Alive with Magic" AK had the extended hours - @MickeyMinnieMom was not mistaken ...

Just saying ...

Last edited:
Yea, it is correct that animal kingdom was open late last summer, we would have gone, but MK was open later until 12. So do the totals and its really a lot more hours than people want to believe.

You won't be sorry! Disneyland is epic...

Having been a local to DL all my life and now taking our "one and done" trip to WDW, I'm almost sorry that we're going in September, given all I've read.

We will, however, still enjoy the magic.

Totally agree with this!! We are DLR AP holders (have been for years) but decided to make this our big WDW year and I am hopeful for WDW magic but I am thinking from now on we will stick with Disneyland and save ourselves $10K lol

Well, here you go guys!! I fixed it all with my letter to Disney!!! :rolleyes1 :D

"Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

We genuinely appreciate the time you took to write to us and share your
feedback. From time to time, we make adjustments to our offerings and
understand your disappointment with our Theme Park Hours for the month
of August. Please know that when we receive comments from Guests they
are shared directly with the Leadership in various areas of our
organization.

We do hope that you do have the opportunity to make many magical
memories during your upcoming visit.

Best Regards,

Ana Brady
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort"

Well, here you go guys!! I fixed it all with my letter to Disney!!! :rolleyes1 :D

"Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

We genuinely appreciate the time you took to write to us and share your
feedback. From time to time, we make adjustments to our offerings and
understand your disappointment with our Theme Park Hours for the month
of August. Please know that when we receive comments from Guests they
are shared directly with the Leadership in various areas of our
organization.

We do hope that you do have the opportunity to make many magical
memories; but only between the hours of 9 AM to 10 PM during your upcoming visit.

Best Regards,

Ana Brady
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort"

:rolleyes1

As someone who always prefers and loves MKP at night, this is extremely disappointing!!! When I used to live in Orlando and had an AP I would literally count down the days to 1am and 3am closing days, walking through the park in the middle of the night brings back memories, the lighter crowds, lights, and ambient music that you can actually hear make the park feel extra magical! So sad that Disney management is scaling back park hours, as mentioned by a previous poster that was part of the "Disney Difference" that set apart WDW from other parks.. Smh..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter