Alternative to Flying out of Grand Junction Airport

Doingitagain

DIS Veteran
We booked the Arizona and Utah ABD trip. Delta is our preferred airline and they no longer fly out of Grand Junction Airport. Has anyone flown out of a different airport by renting a car and driving? If so, where did you pick up a one way rental at the end of the trip and what are the closest airports?

We booked the Arizona and Utah ABD trip. Delta is our preferred airline and they no longer fly out of Grand Junction Airport. Has anyone flown out of a different airport by renting a car and driving? If so, where did you pick up a one way rental at the end of the trip and what are the closest airports?
Granted, this was many years ago, but when I did the trip, there was a family that rented a car at the Grand Junction Airport, and drove (stopping along the way) to Denver, and flew out of Denver. A lot of us were jealous, as there was not much at the Grand Junction Airport back then.

I've heard of people also driving to Salt Lake City to fly home.

Both are about 4.5 hours away from Grand Junction.

Sayhello

We have family in Denver, so we rented a car at Grand Junction Airport at the conclusion of our ABD trip and drove to Denver and spent a few days. It took about 4 hours to get to downtown Denver and it's a beautiful drive!

We have family in Denver, so we rented a car at Grand Junction Airport at the conclusion of our ABD trip and drove to Denver and spent a few days. It took about 4 hours to get to downtown Denver and it's a beautiful drive!
About what time were you able to drive out of the Grand Junction Airport with a rental car, if we need to back into how early we can schedule a flight out of Denver if we leave on the same day? Thank you!

About what time were you able to drive out of the Grand Junction Airport with a rental car, if we need to back into how early we can schedule a flight out of Denver if we leave on the same day? Thank you!
It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure it was late morning. We reached my SIL's house around 4 in the afternoon after stopping along the way for lunch. You could probably check the ABD site for the Arizona/Utah FAQ page to find out the earliest recommended flight times from Grand Junction to get a better idea. It didn't take long at all to rent the car. The airport is very small.

Amtrak has service from Grand Junction to Denver on the long distance train California Zephyer, and the scenery is beautiful. Denver station is central Denver, so you'd have to uber over to the airport or play in Denver a bit...

Amtrak has service from Grand Junction to Denver on the long distance train California Zephyer, and the scenery is beautiful. Denver station is central Denver, so you'd have to uber over to the airport or play in Denver a bit...
This is a great option vs renting a car! Any chance we can get it in Moab and avoid the drive to Grand Junction?

This is a great option vs renting a car! Any chance we can get it in Moab and avoid the drive to Grand Junction?

Moab is not on the route of the California Zephyr. That would be just too great! You'd have to either get yourself to Green River, UT, or go to Grand Junction to catch it. :)

California Zephyr.jpg

https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

Also, the train leaves Grand Junction at 10:23am in the morning. When I took the trip (many years ago!) they dropped us off at the airport at 10am. There's only one mass transfer to Grand Junction, so that's probably cutting it too close. You might have to think about spending the night in Grand Junction, and heading out the next day. It's an 8 hour & 15 minute ride, arriving at 6:38pm, so you'd probably want to spend at least one night in Denver, also. Still a fun way to go! (Oh, and it leaves Green River at 7:59am, so probably not much better of an option).

Sayhello

Last edited:
Moab is not on the route of the California Zephyr. That would be just too great! You'd have to either get yourself to Green River, UT, or go to Grand Junction to catch it. :)

View attachment 690737

https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

Also, the train leaves Grand Junction at 10:23am in the morning. When I took the trip (many years ago!) they dropped us off at the airport at 10am. There's only one mass transfer to Grand Junction, so that's probably cutting it too close. You might have to think about spending the night in Grand Junction, and heading out the next day. It's an 8 hour & 15 minute ride, arriving at 6:38pm, so you'd probably want to spend at least one night in Denver, also. Still a fun way to go! (Oh, and it leaves Green River at 7:59am, so probably not much better of an option).

Sayhello
Ah but Tobi this is Amtrak in America in 2022 where the rule of law does not apply and freight trains do not yield as required to passenger trains. This eastbound train has not been on time once in the last quarter at this station and the mean delay is a couple of hours. There have been some extraordinary delays (4 plus hours) due to weather, but the airport has also not been flying during that time either....the train seldom cancels, unlike the airlines, and does have some heat delays on extraordinary hot days if the track is solid ribbon (vs. the clicking clacking trains are known for). However, if you need timeliness, Amtrak is not for you. They just can't do it. You can pull actual train data for every station off the web, and can also pull real time train status off of Amtrak's site (this shows exactly where the train is, time to next station, and if delayed the expected time of arrival as they do try to make up time). In my humble opinion we are looking at the very end of the USA long distance trains as Amtrak management is only interested in the Northeast corridor and Washington State/California corridor. Otherwise, trains like the Empire Builder, the Crescent, the Cardinal, the City of New Orleans have lots of cancellations of trains and reservations as equipment is diverted to the high revenue routes. The Amtrak funding we just saw pass earlier will primarily go to Northeast corridor and replacing equipment on these routes as well. In the last 18 months, many routes which were running nearly full were cut from 7 days to 3-5 days to save equipment. Dining cars, where they still exist, are now limited to sleeping car passengers, and the meals have gone on most routes from chef prepared to heat and serve. Most trains still have a cafe car for snacks and light food and drink. The days of the lounge cars with movies, music, activities and games are all gone. There remains, as I understand it, one dome car left in the entire system and it is in the shop since last year. Some states (like us in Virginia) are substantially subsidizing rail and rail expansion so, for now, we have intra-state passenger rail and it appears to be running very well and is very popular here. (My twins used it even during the pandemic getting to/from college on weekends and breaks and it was usually full or nearly full. Saved my life on driving!). An Amtrak long distance train in the west has simply breathtaking scenery.

Ah but Tobi this is Amtrak in America in 2022 where the rule of law does not apply and freight trains do not yield as required to passenger trains. This eastbound train has not been on time once in the last quarter at this station and the mean delay is a couple of hours. There have been some extraordinary delays (4 plus hours) due to weather, but the airport has also not been flying during that time either....the train seldom cancels, unlike the airlines, and does have some heat delays on extraordinary hot days if the track is solid ribbon (vs. the clicking clacking trains are known for). However, if you need timeliness, Amtrak is not for you. They just can't do it. You can pull actual train data for every station off the web, and can also pull real time train status off of Amtrak's site (this shows exactly where the train is, time to next station, and if delayed the expected time of arrival as they do try to make up time). In my humble opinion we are looking at the very end of the USA long distance trains as Amtrak management is only interested in the Northeast corridor and Washington State/California corridor. Otherwise, trains like the Empire Builder, the Crescent, the Cardinal, the City of New Orleans have lots of cancellations of trains and reservations as equipment is diverted to the high revenue routes. The Amtrak funding we just saw pass earlier will primarily go to Northeast corridor and replacing equipment on these routes as well. In the last 18 months, many routes which were running nearly full were cut from 7 days to 3-5 days to save equipment. Dining cars, where they still exist, are now limited to sleeping car passengers, and the meals have gone on most routes from chef prepared to heat and serve. Most trains still have a cafe car for snacks and light food and drink. The days of the lounge cars with movies, music, activities and games are all gone. There remains, as I understand it, one dome car left in the entire system and it is in the shop since last year. Some states (like us in Virginia) are substantially subsidizing rail and rail expansion so, for now, we have intra-state passenger rail and it appears to be running very well and is very popular here. (My twins used it even during the pandemic getting to/from college on weekends and breaks and it was usually full or nearly full. Saved my life on driving!). An Amtrak long distance train in the west has simply breathtaking scenery.
Sorry, @Grifdog22, but timeliness was not the point of my post. :) I was merely pointing out that if the train *is* on time, it doesn't fit in the ABD last day schedule very well if they are looking to get home that same day. You always have to plan for worst case scenario, which, in this case, would be the train being on time leaving Grand Junction, and then late arriving in Denver. It's always been my luck that the one day the train is on time is the day I'm late! I adore taking the train, and would totally do this if I had the time to do it.

Sayhello

There is also bus service between Grand Junction and Denver - Bustang. It will probably take longer than Amtrak.

The huge caveat that exists when planning travel between GJ and Denver is Glenwood Canyon. It is closed on a regular basis due to fire damage and concerns for mudslides. The detour adds 2.5 hours to your trip.
Info

And then there are the notoriously long security lines at DIA....

I personally would drive to SLC instead.

There is also bus service between Grand Junction and Denver - Bustang. It will probably take longer than Amtrak.

The huge caveat that exists when planning travel between GJ and Denver is Glenwood Canyon. It is closed on a regular basis due to fire damage and concerns for mudslides. The detour adds 2.5 hours to your trip.
Info

And then there are the notoriously long security lines at DIA....

I personally would drive to SLC instead.
Thanks! VERY good to know!

Sayhello

Why drive to SLC vs Denver?
Well, it's a Delta hub, so if you were wanting to fly Delta, driving to SLC would give you more flights to choose from.

Also, I just can't stress how unpredictable and long the closures of Glenwood Canyon can be. We drove out that way twice in June and just prayed for good weather and lots of luck. I've also driven from that area (Arches/Zion/Bryce Canyon NPs) to SLC many times and it's not a bad drive.

Hi everyone - saw the title it it piqued my interest. I live in Boulder, CO and travel for work frequently in and out of Denver Airport - once a week typically. DIA is a United hub. Very few Delta options.

Depending on the time of year, day of week, and weather (so basically depending on everything!), the drive from Grand Junction can be iffy. Absolutely give yourself enough time. In the summer, we have road construction (short season to get stuff done!). We've had really bad fires in the state the past two years and as such, the burn scars make flash flooding very possible. I70 is a beautiful highway, but it is also treacherous in areas - such as around Glenwood Canyon. Just last weekend, I70 was closed for a stretch of time in anticipation of some heavy rain - which could cause flash flooding. Fortunately it did not and the road was reopened, but I'm sharing this because weather is very hard to predict. Last year, CDOT closed the road for a long period of time, as rockfall took out a good portion of the highway. The detour added hours. Winter obviously we have snow. Be very cautious coming East from Grand Junction to Denver on Sundays or the end of a holiday period - the traffic is horrendous and it'll be a slow crawl.

I've never taken the Amtrak train, but have heard good things. Again, give yourself a buffer. The Amtrak train arrives in Denver Union Station, which is home to many wonderful shops and restaurants, as well as hotels. You can take the light rail from the very same train station - Denver Union Station - to the airport. See Schedule "A" and it's $10.50/pp. https://www.rtd-denver.com/services/rail Obviously Lyft/Uber is available as well.

DIA is getting better now that local Colorado kids are back in school, but yes security was a bear at times this summer. I'm typically flying out at the crack of dawn for work trips, and never had any problems, but I've heard flights mid-day may have long security waits. I do love my airport though - lots of great food + shopping. Topo Designs and Tattered Cover Bookstore are great. We have fantastic food options like Shake Shack and Snooze. Voodoo Donuts is coming in as well, if it hasn't already.

Safe travels and hope this helps!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter