Alone with kids

Deafmedic

<font color=blue> I married a redhead punkett<br><
MY daughters and I will be staying at the WL Nov 28th-Dec 5th. I have recently completed a divorce and am planning on continuing the Disney trip without their mother. What I would like to know is how other single fathers have fared with their kids. Also, this trip is the Friday after Thanksgiving. How are the crowds going to be? Any advice from fathers(or single mothers) would be appreciated.
Chris :confused:

We travel alone too ( i am sinlge mom w/ DD 9 and DS 6 ) and in June will be our third trip ! Last Year we traveled the same time as you will be.. the Weekend was extremely busy ( hour waits for some ride ) but Monday - Friday was great ! and the weather last year was on the cooler side - but hey it was warmer then Maine. I would get tickets to Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party - that is our favorite christmas event.. Wise choice to stay on site - make sure to do a few character meals ..
I am sure you will have a great time - Michelle

Hello Chris...from a fellow Peach State Citizen!

Bravo for you! I applaud your desire to keep your WDW trips going!

While I am not a single father, my wife and our two DD's attend WDW several times each year. Due to the very hectic and full schedules of all four of us, we schedule a family trip as well as individual trips with each of us taking our girls by ourselves.

Nothing will replace our family trips, however, when we take just the girls....it is an unique and very enjoyable trip!

I recently stayed at AKL with them and had a blast. My wife took them to WL and she reports the same! (The bunkbeds at these two resorts are great for the girls!)

You will have a great time!

;)

But, I can speak as a single mother of two boys. My advice: a shot of jack(just kidding). We went last summer when they were 41/2 and 8. Everything went great. We stayed at the Poly because I wanted convenient transportation. It turned out they also did great when we had to take the buses. They didn't get lost/separated from me at the parks which was an initial concern and I didn't resort to a stroller because I am a rotten mom. Actually, being new yorkers they are used to walking and never once complained about being tired. I didn't even have to resort to using the Neverland Club for a break although both really wanted to go. Didn't need a shot of Jack either.

You don't say how old your daughters are but one problem I ran into is what to do when one needed to go to the bathroom. There was a thread (now closed I think) on another board.

I am sure everything will go fine for you. We are going back in July. Have fun!

Chris,

Widower here! I've been taking the DD to Disney World alone since she was 8. We go so often that I finally broke down a couple years ago and bought into DVC. If you have any trouble with the bathroom thing just grab a CM. IMHO you can't find a better bonding experience! Have Fun!!:)

Kirk

I was wondering the same thing. How many single moms or dads take there children to WDW. I'm taking my DS10 on his first trip to WDW this Sept. His mother and I have been split up since he was a year old and we have always done alot together and gone on short vacations but nothing this long or far. Hope he does'nt get homesick! Do any of you single parents miss the interaction of an adult conversation on such a trip, just wondering I'm sure all will be fine and the Magic of the trip down will be over before we know it.
Don :p

yeah, sort of. I would love to have an adult conversation and a meal that didn't involve the ubiquitous chicken strips and copious amounts of ketchup. The first time I went to DW was with my college BF and Iwas pleasantly surprised that I could drink and eat and drink some more my way around the World Showcase.

My second time was with my sons so things were a bit different.

What I did find really nice is that we were on a line for an attraction and were next to a family three one of the adults would offer to ride with my older son. This happened on Big Thunder Mountain.

I did get a bit miffed after being asked several times by CM's, "Dad couldn't make it?"

About 6 monhts after my husband died I took my 3 kids to WDW. If you could have seen the look on their faces when they got to the parks it was priceless.

It was the best medicine for them to be in WDW. They got to forget about their problems for awhile. I let them tell me what they wanted to do. They got to take turns making the decisions. They were 9, 12, 15 when they first went.

We stayed at CBR and had an absolutely wonderful time. The real world intruded too soon after the trip.

WDW is so easy to do as a single parent. I enjoy the uninterupted time with my kids and we have a great vacation. Family bathrooms are great if you have children of the opposite gender. They are marked on all the guide maps. I usually try to do at least one DIS meet while on vacation so that I can have a little adult conversation, but then again I talk to everyone. :D

I've been on trips with my daughter since she was 4 (now 9) and any helpful hints would be easier to give with the ages of your daughters in mind. If you don't have to deal with the restroom issue (either they are both older or one is old enough to take the other in the women's room or you've already memorized all the family restroom locations). Then the rest is more just mixing what the three of you want to do on the trip. With three you can sit together on most of the rides. There are only a few where only two can ride or riders need to ride alone. You may need to skip those depending on the girl's ages.
Its a wonderful time to bond without the distraction of work/school/chores etc...or the distraction of another adult. But in case it gets to be a little too close and you start talking in toddler lingo all day or worse yet you start saying "its like" or "ya know" before every sentence (again, depending on their ages), consider the kids clubs or even a kid-only activity like the Wonderland Tea party, Pirate Cruise or Cooking at the GF to give youself a small break. Of course if they're teens maybe you could let them hang out at Disney Quest for a half day on their own. If you use a kid's club one evening, you could get a massage or watch a game at ESPN or go to the Adventurer's Club for a couple of hours. Then you can come back to your girls ready to hang out with them and devote your undivided attention to them once again. I've done that almost every trip and its really been good for both of us. She absolutely loves The Neverland Club and has enjoyed all the kid activities. Meanwhile, I've had some great spa treatments at the GF and finally was able to check out the Adventurer's Club.
Have a great time on your vacation!

How old are your daughters? As a single parent, I have been taking my daughter to WDW since she was 4 years old. We have celebrated each of her birthdays, every year since then at WDW. I remember when I was taking her the first time, people would ask, why? She is too young! She will not remember her anything!
Well, I really was not going to quizz her at 25, to see what she remember from that trip. Having said that, I am amazed as to what she does remember from that first trip. Now, at age I would bring her into the mens room, if the need for a restroom would arise. When she was 6, she was at the age where she could use the womans room by herself, while I waited out side. I will say, that the first trip was are shortest trip ever to WDW. Partially, because of her age or lack there of. And that we spent all of our time at the Mk. This also was the only time we spent off site, never again. Lugging around a stroller, and everything else....you get the picture. Live and learn. LoL

My, how the times have change. She will be celebrating her twelve, and 9th at WDW shortly. When we look back, on the things we did back then, to the things we do now. Well, we have a good laugh. No more Tea Cups.....Yeah!!! But honestly, the best part is all the memories, and what now, is consider a tradition for us.

It sounds to me, that your on your way to starting your own memories at WDW, just you and your daughters.

Have a great time!!

Deafmedic,
I will be down there with my Daughter about a week after you leave , so maybe when you get back, you can let me know how it went. This will be our 5th time down there, but the first without her Mother. We are both very excited about going and hope that we have as good a time as we have in the past. This was originally planned as a family trip for May, but due to unforseen circumstances, it was moved to December and became a Father and Daughter trip. Good luck on your trip.

Hi Chris...

I also applaud you for taking them to Disney...with or without your wife. Life is too short...life must go on..

A young widower here... Unfortunately my husband at the age of 32 died in Disney right in our room at the ASMo on Dec. 9, 2001.

I never thought I would have the courage to go back to Disney. If I can't go back...let me at least go back there for the sake of the kids. They love Disney just as much as I do. And just because that their Daddy died...it doesn't mean that we are no longer a family.

After watching "Lilo and Stich"...my kids learned a very valuable lesson from that movie. "Ohana--Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten." I cried when I was watching that part in the movie. My kids always reminded me about the word "Ohana". I said to myself...you know what...even though Gary is no longer here with us...we are still The Brown family...we are a family...and we will and should still do family things.

Anyways....our first trip alone with my kids during Easter (very crowded). We made it!!

My advice...Do the EE (early entry) and take a mid-day break if needed...but remember that during Nov, the parks closes early. Take advantage of the FP (fast pass) so this way you don't have to wait in line for long. I would suggest to bring some nik-nack (snack) so that way when they get hungry in a long line...you don't have to leave the long...they can snack on it until the ride is over. (You would hate to leave the line knowing that you are almost right there to ride the ride) You should be fine. You are going when the weather is very tolerable. Not too hot nor cold to swim.

I don't know how old the kids are...if they are pretty young...then I would suggest to take a straight flight rather than doing a stop and change planes.

I wish you luck. You wil be fine. I have a two busy kids (4 and 6) they are a lot more than I can handle...but I made it! Believe me...If I can do it...you can do it too...maybe better! Have fun!!

Hi jadedNYer!

can't speak for the single fathers

Wow, that might be a female first! (Just joking).

Hi dcg0317!

Do any of you single parents miss the interaction of an adult conversation on such a trip

Not in the least. Besides, many of the two-parent families I see at WDW are stressed to the max. One or both adults are yelling at their kids and/or threatening divine intervention of some sort. Couples like that only serve to remind me how fortunate I am. As a single parent, I am able to relax with my son and change any plans to suit the moment.

Hi safetymom!

The real world intruded too soon after the trip.

It never fails...

Hi madthemouse!

As a single parent, I have been taking my daughter to WDW since she was 4 years old.

It has been the same for my son and I since he was 4. He is 9 now. On our very first visit, we stayed at The Wilderness Lodge. The evening of our first full day at MK, I decided we would grab a bite at The Roaring Forks Cafe and forgo a more formal dinner. My not-so-little little guy was so tired, he fell asleep sittting up in his chair holding a spoonful of fresh fruit up to his mouth! I mean out-for-the-count sandman-ready-or-not-here-I-come I'll-wake-up-in-the-morning sleep. A trio of older women were passing by the open windows to the cafe, saw my son asleep in the chair and walked over to me. Laughing, one of the ladies said, "This has to be the most adorable father-son moment I've seen in quite a while." Perhaps my son was adorable. But he is tall for his age and required more than a little energy to carry him all the way to our room. And when he awoke in the morning, we were both ready for another day of adventure at The Magic Kingdom...

Hi Deafmedic!

What I would like to know is how other single fathers have fared with their kids.

Believe me, you'll do just fine. Being with your kids at WDW is a blessing. You'll find the happiness exhilarating. The hard part is returning home to those daily routines where our only thanks is a hug and a kiss from those single-and-early-double-digiters who make our lives so incredibly worthwhile...

Buckaroo's Dad thanks for your post. I can remember when my son would go to sleep like that while eating. I have pictures of him when he fell into his food.

My daughter now works in Disney on the College Program and she tries to make every guest have a magical experience because she remembers her first trip to the World.

I am going down to visit with her as she graduates in a couple of weeks. We are going to have some of those special mother daughter moments in the park. We get real weepy when we go to the Share a Dream parade.

Hi..

I travel alone with my daughter all the time - we have the best time together - good bonding, quality time.

She is great with everything we do, everywhere we go but sometimes when she wants to hang out with the kids at the pool, or go on an activity (pirate cruise) or go on a ride by herself - to look cool... I get loney!

Also - although we are on holidays and stay up later - she is still a child and needs a good sleep... sometimes when she is snoring at 9:00pm - I wish there was someone else with us... but for the most part - the fun we have is priceless.

Are your girls old enough they can go into the public restrooms on their own?

That is always an issue with my ex-husband - he can't take her in the Men's room but he is worried sick about her going in the ladies room on her own.

Relax and have a great time - think of it as an learning adventure - your girls will have a blast.

>>^..^<<

Many thanks to all who responded! The tip about the family rooms are a big relief.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter