All about the Autotrain

Does anyone know of a hotel that will legitimately sleep 6 people that is either at the same exit as the autotrain (like the comfort inn that we used last time), or, alternatively, if that doesn't exist, is close enough that there is an easy back way to get there that avoids getting back on the highway? We will get there the night before (very late) to make absolutely sure we don't run into traffic issues, so we want to be as close as possible to the station just to avoid any traffic issues at all the day we leave. We would use the comfort inn again, it isn't nice but it was sufficient, but since our twins are 14 months now I don't know if they would allow us to stay in one room like they did last year, and we would prefer not to have to pay for 2 since we wouldn't use the second room anyway, it would likely sit empty and we would all stay in 1.

I don't know how helpful this is, but the closest I could find that would actually accept 6 is a Comfort Suites in Woodbridge VA, about 7 miles from the Lorton exit (near the Potomac Mills mall). (I stayed at a Best Western at that exit when I rode the auto train.) The room is a suite with 2 double beds and a sofa bed which sleeps 2. When I stayed for my trip, I went back up 95 to get the train, but if you really want to avoid it, according to the map, US 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) is easy to get to and runs up to the end of Lorton Road. No idea what traffic on that would be like, though.

There are no hotels, besides the Comfort Inn, that are at or very close to the Lorton/Auto Train exit.

As the previous poster said, you could go past the Lorton exit to Woodbridge/Dale City where there are several hotels to choose from. Or, you could stop just short of Lorton and look for a hotel in Springfield. There are several hotels to choose from there as well. There are roads from both locations that will get you to the Auto Train without getting back onto I-95.

I did a quick search and it appears (online at least) that the Homewood Suites in Springfield could possibly accommodate 2 adults and 4 children in a single room. The suite offers 2 queen beds and a full-size sofa bed that will sleep 2 (they might offer cribs on request). The back roads to get to the AT station from Springfield are many and not difficult; it would probably take 15-20 minutes to get there, depending on your route, how you hit the lights and local traffic along the way.

I would suggest you contact any hotel directly to confirm how many adults and children they allow to a room.

Did you say anything to the Comfort Inn after your stay there about the condition of the room you were in? I was the person who suggested it to you and I was disappointed to hear you say it was not in very good condition. Since it’s close to the Auto Train and nearby Ft. Belvior, I’m sure it’s heavily used, but I thought/hoped it was in better shape than you described.

I don't know how helpful this is, but the closest I could find that would actually accept 6 is a Comfort Suites in Woodbridge VA, about 7 miles from the Lorton exit (near the Potomac Mills mall). (I stayed at a Best Western at that exit when I rode the auto train.) The room is a suite with 2 double beds and a sofa bed which sleeps 2. When I stayed for my trip, I went back up 95 to get the train, but if you really want to avoid it, according to the map, US 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) is easy to get to and runs up to the end of Lorton Road. No idea what traffic on that would be like, though.

Thank you, I will look into this. We don't really even need to sleep 6 in beds, the youngest 2 should be in cribs or pack n plays, we just need a hotel that will allow us to have an occupancy of 6 in the room and I am finding out that many, many hotels have no rooms at all that allow this (both low end and very high end hotels). I just don't know the area at all, so your input is very helpful and just knowing the nearby towns to look at is great. I appreciate your effort for me!!:thanks:

There are no hotels, besides the Comfort Inn, that are at or very close to the Lorton/Auto Train exit.

As the previous poster said, you could go past the Lorton exit to Woodbridge/Dale City where there are several hotels to choose from. Or, you could stop just short of Lorton and look for a hotel in Springfield. There are several hotels to choose from there as well. There are roads from both locations that will get you to the Auto Train without getting back onto I-95.

I did a quick search and it appears (online at least) that the Homewood Suites in Springfield could possibly accommodate 2 adults and 4 children in a single room. The suite offers 2 queen beds and a full-size sofa bed that will sleep 2 (they might offer cribs on request). The back roads to get to the AT station from Springfield are many and not difficult; it would probably take 15-20 minutes to get there, depending on your route, how you hit the lights and local traffic along the way.

I would suggest you contact any hotel directly to confirm how many adults and children they allow to a room.

Did you say anything to the Comfort Inn after your stay there about the condition of the room you were in? I was the person who suggested it to you and I was disappointed to hear you say it was not in very good condition. Since it’s close to the Auto Train and nearby Ft. Belvior, I’m sure it’s heavily used, but I thought/hoped it was in better shape than you described.

Thank you for your additional input. Just knowing which exits to check and town names to look for hotels in is very helpful, and knowing there is a reasonable back way is great. I will check Springfield and Woodbridge. We don't need anything special, just a decent hotel for a short night that will allow us peace of mind on not missing the train :flower1:. I really appreciate you going above and beyond and checking on specific hotels for us, I will certainly look into that one. I don't know the area at all, so your basic advice is invaluable. I will certainly call a hotel if there is any question, but usually it's pretty easy online to tell if they have rooms that sleep 6. Even if it isn't obvious on their website, I put 2 adults and 4 kids in, and no rooms. I put 2 adults and 2 kids in, and lots of rooms! I did find last year that the Comfort Inn was willing to override that when i called (which surprised me, because I always thought fire codes were the reason behind occupancy limits). I might actually try that again, since we know where it is, but I kind of think since the twins are now just over a year and not 6 months like that time that they will tell us we need to book 2 rooms. Like I said the hotel wasn't overly nice, but it was sufficient and convenient.

I did not say anything to the Comfort Inn when we were there. I would have felt pretty awkward telling the lone front desk person that their carpet turned our white socks black, and needed cleaned :D. Plus, it's not like they would have done it before we went to bed at 2 AM. It was just an observation of mine. It's possible that I got a survey when we returned, but in that case I probably kept it in my inbox and meant to fill it out, but didn't get around to it until it was too late. I realize I should have (assuming I got one), since I did have some feedback for them. As far as it's condition, it certainly could have used a good, deep cleaning. That would have helped immensely. However, in addition, it is just in desperate need of a renovation. I have seen much better rooms in similar level hotel chains, including other Comfort Inns. Maybe they have done one, or will be doing one soon, I haven't checked since we stayed there. There is a Comfort Inn near us, In Erie PA, that is attached to a local waterpark and has been completely renovated. it is actually very nice, particularly when you factor in that it is a rather low end hotel. It's night and day from the one in Lorton that has not been renovated. Maybe we got a bad room, that could be possible. We did check in at 2 AM.

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for your advice, I was very happy someone was willing to help out with where to stay the night before and you were right, the location could not be beat! We were not sorry we booked there, and despite all of my worry about things, it all went amazingly smooth and we loved our first trip on the auto train. I hope the second trip goes just as smoothly.

Well, apparently the night I am looking for in June is popular, the Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites are all booked regardless and the Homewood Suites only showed that it allowed 5 in a room (I didn't call, just kept looking). I did find and book (able to cancel up until 2 days before) a Springhill Suites Potomac Mills Woodbridge that allows 6 people and was reasonably priced. According to their website they are only 6.9 miles from the autotrain. I am going to call the hotel to verify this and ask about back roads/routs to the autotrain, but oddly enough their phone number is out of service today. I even called Marriott and they found the same thing - so I'll call later to check. Those of you that live near or are familiar - I assume this would be a reasonable choice? Tink's Pixieduster, I assume this is at the exit you mentioned and has multiple back ways if I95 is backed up? MikeF;NJ - it seems like this might be close to where you stayed, and it sounds like that worked out fine for you.

Well, apparently the night I am looking for in June is popular, the Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites are all booked regardless and the Homewood Suites only showed that it allowed 5 in a room (I didn't call, just kept looking). I did find and book (able to cancel up until 2 days before) a Springhill Suites Potomac Mills Woodbridge that allows 6 people and was reasonably priced. According to their website they are only 6.9 miles from the autotrain. I am going to call the hotel to verify this and ask about back roads/routs to the autotrain, but oddly enough their phone number is out of service today. I even called Marriott and they found the same thing - so I'll call later to check. Those of you that live near or are familiar - I assume this would be a reasonable choice? Tink's Pixieduster, I assume this is at the exit you mentioned and has multiple back ways if I95 is backed up? MikeF;NJ - it seems like this might be close to where you stayed, and it sounds like that worked out fine for you.

Potomac Mills is a very good location, and Springwood Suites are generally good hotels. To get to the Auto Train using back roads from this location:

From the Springhill Suites, turn right onto the Prince William Parkway. You’ll cross over I-95.

1) Stay on the Prince William Parkway until you come to a traffic light at Jefferson Davis Highway/ Rt. 1 where you will turn left.

2) Travel about 7 miles on Rt. 1 (the name changes to Richmond Highway after you leave Woodbridge) until you come to a traffic light at Gunston Cove Road. Turn left at the light onto Gunston Cove.

3) Travel maybe a mile or less on Gunston Cove Road until you come to a traffic light at Lorton Road, where you will turn left.

4) Almost immediately, you will come to a traffic light for the Auto Train Station, where you will turn right, and there you are.

In reference to your earlier post, it never even crossed my mind that you might be ungrateful for my suggestion of the Comfort Inn. My disappointment is in a business that I referred someone to that didn’t represent the area very well.

ETA – In ideal conditions (not rush hour), travel time from the Springhill Suites to the Auto Train station would be at best about 15-20 minutes (if you hit all the lights right and traffic isn’t heavy).

Last edited:
I just don't know the area at all
I live in Washington DC.

I did a random date search for rooms for 6, and this place came up:

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
5821 Richmond Hwy, Belle Haven, VA

I know the areas. Its right off 95/the DC beltway, and you have multiple ways to get down to the Lorton auto train station from there. Probably a 20-30 minute drive.

My two cents is that being within an hour of the AT station is probably close-enough. Yes, DC traffic can be a nightmare, but there are other towns/areas near enough Lorton that you can reliably get to the train....especially between 10 AM and 2 PM.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

It's actually one exit north of where I stayed, so one exit closer to the auto train on I 95. And again, the main street at the Spring Hill Suites exit (Caton Hill Road) runs out to US 1 east of 95, so there is that alternative as well. As far as time, I checked out of the hotel at the normal check out time (whatever that was, I don't remember) and I had enough time to head up 95 to the auto train exit, then over to the McDonalds in the shopping center at the corner of Lorton Road and US 1 to pick up lunch to be eaten in the station after I checked in.

We stayed at the country inn and suites Potomac mills. It was nice. We are a family of 4 though.

We stayed at Embassy Suites 8100 Loisdale Rd, Springfield, VA in 2015. It was very nice.... (if it's still there! lol) 3.5 miles from train station

I decided on taking the auto train south in July. The cheapest fare was still available. I needed to make sure my son's friend's mother was ok with this change in plans. After talking to her, I went online that same evening and the lowest fare isn't available. Do the lowest fares ever open up again? Should I stalk the site daily? Or is it a waste of time. I'm so bummed the price jumped.

I decided on taking the auto train south in July. The cheapest fare was still available. I needed to make sure my son's friend's mother was ok with this change in plans. After talking to her, I went online that same evening and the lowest fare isn't available. Do the lowest fares ever open up again? Should I stalk the site daily? Or is it a waste of time. I'm so bummed the price jumped.

Give them a call. Also, see if they offer AAA or AARP discounts. We got our prices changed on a regular Amtrak overnight train by calling and working with the rep.

Since our last trip which was maybe 5 years ago I understand they have done away with the wine and cheese after departure. What other changes have been made?

Since our last trip which was maybe 5 years ago I understand they have done away with the wine and cheese after departure. What other changes have been made?

There's no blankets or headrest cloth pieces. There are no snacks when it starts. There is still the hot beverage area with coffee, decaf, hot chocolate packets. I didn't notice tea, because I used the hot water for my own tea bags I brought.
At breakfast (this was 2 weeks ago and 1 week ago), on both the way up and back, they had all of the fixings on that old snack table so that if you wanted to use the trays they had and bring it all back to your seat you could, and didn't have to sit in the dining car. On the way down she said they sometimes do this, but it was both ways for us. It didn't appear to have any bearing on if you were late or early, since it was 2 hours late on our way down and only 15 min. late on our way up.
Also, no wine at dinner, but you can always purchase at the lounge car. However, any wine drinking I do I find to be most cost effective to bring those little "Copa" wine individual things, and I did ask him for a cup of ice at the lounge.

We first took the AT back in 2011 and I don't remember any wine & cheese after departure. I will be on the train on Saturday...where was it served?

They used to have wine and cheese and other snacks in the lounge for sleeper car passengers some years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter