AKL value studios and booking at the 11 month window

Greg36

Mouseketeer
Just wondering how difficult it is to reserve the value studios at the 11 month mark for DVC. We were thinking a 180 point contract would likely cover us for a value or standard room for a two week period in late fall, but it seems that 160 point contracts are more common. If we were going to stay in a value studio for all or part of our two weeks we might be able to make 160 points work... Any opinions on how likely it would be to be able to reserve a value studio for two weeks, or even one week, at the 11 month mark would be appreciated.

Overall, do you find that you tend to get your ideal room for your ideal dates at the 11 month window for your home resort? We are still considering making a purchase into DVC, but we are pretty specific about what we would like to rent (i.e., studio) and what time of year we would like to go (i.e., 2 weeks between after Thanksgiving and before mid Dec). We have no problem planning early and booking right at the 11 month window, but I am just curious if that is enough to get what you really want... Thank you, Greg

Just wondering how difficult it is to reserve the value studios at the 11 month mark for DVC. We were thinking a 180 point contract would likely cover us for a value or standard room for a two week period in late fall, but it seems that 160 point contracts are more common. If we were going to stay in a value studio for all or part of our two weeks we might be able to make 160 points work... Any opinions on how likely it would be to be able to reserve a value studio for two weeks, or even one week, at the 11 month mark would be appreciated.

Overall, do you find that you tend to get your ideal room for your ideal dates at the 11 month window for your home resort? We are still considering making a purchase into DVC, but we are pretty specific about what we would like to rent (i.e., studio) and what time of year we would like to go (i.e., 2 weeks between after Thanksgiving and before mid Dec). We have no problem planning early and booking right at the 11 month window, but I am just curious if that is enough to get what you really want... Thank you, Greg
Very difficult, even for owners right at 11 months. There are only 18 Value studios in all of AKV. 10 of them are lock-off (1-BR + studio = 2-BR villa). As you can imagine, anyone wanting to save on points wants to book them. Count on booking the std. view rooms most of the time at the very least.

Hit or miss but mostly hits for us. One year, we booked 3 value studios right at 11 months with no issues (October trip). Next year booked two at 11 months (May trip). For our upcoming trip in December, we wanted two but only one was available at 11 months.

I would always go with a cushion so that you can do standard if you need to when value are not available. Plus, if there was every a change in the season you want to visit or they adjust points on the chart a little, you have the extra you need for those situations.

I would always go with a cushion so that you can do standard if you need to when value are not available. Plus, if there was every a change in the season you want to visit or they adjust points on the chart a little, you have the extra you need for those situations.

This ^.

We book the value for our Thanksgiving week /Dec. stays.
For 2017, we had booked 17 nights.
This year was very difficult to book @ 11 months.
The walkers were tying up 11-month bookings!
We almost didn't find an open date(to start walking).

A cushion for booking standard is necessary.

We bought assuming we could get 10-nights a year in a value for late Nov./early Dec.
OF course we know better, NOW.

There are ONLY 18 AKV value studios. More than half of those are lockoffs, SO you would also be competing with Owners that are trying to book 2-bedroom values @ exactly 11-months out.

It is my understanding that 160 point contracts are common because that was the minimum point purchase when AKV when for sale direct.

Have you considered buying 160 points and then buying 25 points direct? This would give you the discounted AP pass, which is a nice savings for tickets. Even if you go just once a year, just book your trips within 12 months of each other (move you second trip up a week so that it occurs at the very end of your AP), and you'll save a ton of money on your tickets. $560 for AP vs paying around $1000 for two sets of 7 day park hoppers. Plus you'll get photopass downloads for free!

I have no interest in the value studios what so ever, but wouldn't mind trying the club level rooms for a few nights.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. We are currently going through the right of first refusal process with Disney (day 3!!) for a 160 point contract at AKL. Our thinking is if this works out we will add 25 points direct later on. The contract has points for 2017 so we are thinking that will give us a decent cushion for the next few vacations anyway. Take care, Greg

The last time I was able to successfully get a value studio was for our trip this past May 2017. I was unable to get one for our December trip this year, even being up to book several days in advance watching the "walkers" snatch up every thing. There was no way to even think about walking myself because nothing was open for days in advance. This is fine, and I guess fair. DH and I decided to do a trip to Kidani instead where there are no values and hopefully a just as wonderful trip. The last time we stayed in a standard studio there was one May when we were right over the bell service area. Never heard a thing and watched all the activity. So while I will try for values every year, I do not think DH and I will be getting one anytime soon. I have resigned myself to that and realize how incredibly a first world problem it is...

Ya, by looking at the inventory levels on ******, I can see just how hard it would be to just to get a starting date for walking a value or club level room at AKL. I suppose during the slower times, it might be easier, but dang those go fast. And you have to call to walk a reservation, right? But then couldn't someone else book the room you are wanting to walk for the next day online before you get to call? But having to call each day to do that would probably do it for me, I literally hate having to talk to people on the phone now. I hate the fact for reservations at Hilton Head, (cash) can not be cancelled or changed online. You must call. I see no reason why they can't adjust that.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. We are currently going through the right of first refusal process with Disney (day 3!!) for a 160 point contract at AKL. Our thinking is if this works out we will add 25 points direct later on. The contract has points for 2017 so we are thinking that will give us a decent cushion for the next few vacations anyway. Take care, Greg

Congrats on your purchase!
Hopefully ROFR goes quickly:)

Ya, by looking at the inventory levels on ******, I can see just how hard it would be to just to get a starting date for walking a value or club level room at AKL. I suppose during the slower times, it might be easier, but dang those go fast. And you have to call to walk a reservation, right? But then couldn't someone else book the room you are wanting to walk for the next day online before you get to call? But having to call each day to do that would probably do it for me, I literally hate having to talk to people on the phone now. I hate the fact for reservations at Hilton Head, (cash) can not be cancelled or changed online. You must call. I see no reason why they can't adjust that.

(assuming we're talking about booking at 11 months)

No, you don't have to worry about someone booking the room during the online time. Once you start your walk, absent you screwing it up or disney taking a room out of inventory, there is no way for you to lose your walking ability (at least in theory). You don't have to call every day. Just on the last night of your trip. So long as you have that one day occupied, no one else can occupy that room for a later date since they'd never be able to start the reservation in the first place.

It can be confusing to wrap your mind around it, but that's the answer.

(assuming we're talking about booking at 11 months)

No, you don't have to worry about someone booking the room during the online time. Once you start your walk, absent you screwing it up or disney taking a room out of inventory, there is no way for you to lose your walking ability (at least in theory). You don't have to call every day. Just on the last night of your trip. So long as you have that one day occupied, no one else can occupy that room for a later date since they'd never be able to start the reservation in the first place.

It can be confusing to wrap your mind around it, but that's the answer.
Ohhhhh lawd, I'm so confused!:crazy::crazy::crazy: No problem, not even going to worry with this one right now. May never even need that option. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!