AKL or Contemporary for 25th Anniversary!

mompas1

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are planning a trip to Disneyworld to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We will be going in late November of 2018. Should we stay at the AKL or the Contemporary? Any thoughts? Thanks!

How exciting! You probably can't go wrong with either choice, but they couldn't be more different. Contemporary has a very modern vibe - clean lines, minimal "atmosphere," sparse, but nice. AKL is more "relaxed" but luxurious at the same time - dark woods, beautiful artwork throughout the resort, more a "transporting you to a different place" feel.

I'd take a look at picture/videos of both online. Our home resort for DVC is Bay Lake Towers. We love the location, but not the decor. However, we always enjoy our stays there. It's just not my personal taste. We are trying AKL for the first time this summer and really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the advice! I think the Animal Kingdom Lodge looks beautiful and I'm leaning more toward it, but the location of the Contemporary and the access to the monorail would be wonderful! Hard choice, but either will be great I'm sure!

We were posed with a similar issue when we booked our honeymoon for 2018 ( AKL or Poly ). We chose AKL - Kidani Village. The biggest reason is because all the reviews we read talked about how far it was and how quite it was. Seems weird but since it's our honeymoon we wanted to escape some of the rush and since we both have jobs that keep us running we felt if we could find some quite in a Disney vacation we would take it. Plus it had lots of good dining option and the resort looks amazing.

Thanks for the advice! I think the Animal Kingdom Lodge looks beautiful and I'm leaning more toward it, but the location of the Contemporary and the access to the monorail would be wonderful! Hard choice, but either will be great I'm sure!

The monorail is overrated. Treat yourselves to using the Minnie Van instead! You could also do a split stay if you wanted to try both.

We were posed with a similar issue when we booked our honeymoon for 2018 ( AKL or Poly ). We chose AKL - Kidani Village. The biggest reason is because all the reviews we read talked about how far it was and how quite it was. Seems weird but since it's our honeymoon we wanted to escape some of the rush and since we both have jobs that keep us running we felt if we could find some quite in a Disney vacation we would take it. Plus it had lots of good dining option and the resort looks amazing.

I agree! AKL is an amazing resort and being out away from everything is one of the things I love most about it as the resort is very quiet and peaceful (IMO). It's got a great atmosphere for walking around viewing the animals and just taking in the surroundings. In addition, as mentioned above, the dining options are great.

We have never stayed at AKL, but we LOVE the CR! The resort is very modern, it's super fun to see the monorail whizzing through the main lobby, and the Contempo Cafe is a fabulous QS option. Our room was huge...we stayed in the garden wing; it was quiet, we could see the water parade every night, and it was a quick, covered walk to the main building. However, the part we liked best was being able to walk to MK. This is especially amazing at night. We knew we'd be back in our room, heading to bed, while so many other guests waited at the monorail or waited to take busses back to their resorts.

Wherever you stay, I'm sure you'll have a magical trip!

We've stayed at both multiple times and, for an anniversary, I would choose AKL. It's so beautiful and they have some great dining options. Definitely has a more "romantic" feel than CR. If you want to be closer to MK, perhaps consider WL. Again, an absolutely gorgeous resort with boat access to MK (which is such a nice way to travel). You can even boat to CR and walk to MK from there. Other resorts to possibly consider - YC (quiet, with walking distance to EP and DHS), BWI (the most "romantic" resort in the EP area. Consider a studio at BWV, perhaps if it prices out less than a regular room)

As I was planning our 5th trip to the world I was really leaning towards CR (monorail and saw it on Walt Disney show as a kid) but the 2 people with veto power said AKL it has animals. Having resort hopped over there on our last trip I was really impressed with their customer support (they gave me a tour of the rooms) and the girls do own me so AKL it is and to be honest it is the most beautiful resort I have ever checked out.

I would say CR. You get views of the MK fireworks and the electrical water pageant plus you can take a boat or monorail to the other resorts to have a meal and see the holiday decorations. Plus you can walk to the MK. It is an easy monorail ride to the TTC for the Epcot monorail.

Having stayed at both multiple times, I lean heavily toward AKL. It is a beautiful and peaceful resort. The CR lobby is cavernous and quite noisy. I fully agree with Holden about the monorail being overrated. We see it as a liability rather than an asset because of the trade off in terms of shared bus transport. AKL/AKV have excellent bus service which, in my mind, more than makes up for the monorail.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Disneyworld to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We will be going in late November of 2018. Should we stay at the AKL or the Contemporary? Any thoughts? Thanks!
I'd stay at AKL. Better atmosphere by a mile. Better pool (& you get access to 2 feature pools). Much more beautiful and peaceful. There's really nothing like having breakfast on your balcony while watching giraffes eat theirs just 20 feet away. Hakuna Matata.

We stayed at AKL and loved it! AKL is wonderfully themed, gorgeous grounds, a really nice pool and two hot tubs!

We stayed in a pool view room, the pool is gorgeous at night. There are plenty of spots to watch the animals if you do not want to pay for a Savannah view room. My Mom and step-father were in the room a lot, so they really enjoyed their Savannah view.

AKL is remote and quiet, a beautiful retreat. I have not stayed at CR, as the theme is too sterile for me. The location is fantastic, easy to hop on the monorail to another resort.

While the CR is nice and close to MK, it really is a boring hotel, just kinda blah, imo. AKL is just in a whole league of its own, its so nice and quiet, and it just feels so much more "Disney" then CR. Book a savanna view room, its just amazing. Plus the pools and food options at AKL are far superior, imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter