AKL, GF, or YBC...which would you pick??

Sammy

DIS Veteran
I can't believe I'm actually in a position where I have to make this decision...I never would be able to afford any of these hotels usually, but DH and I are going to Orlando for a conference in June, and are extending a few days. We have a chance to stay at one of these three hotels and I just don't know which one!! My dream has always been to stay at the GF, but AKL has gotten such rave reviews on this site and it sounds so cool! DH wants to stay at YBC because of its close proximity to Epcot, but I'm not into the "beach theme".

Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sammy

If I were in this position (I wish!:p ) I would choose the YBC. It is within walking distance to the 2 parks we would spend the most time in (Epcot and MGM) and has access to the Boardwalk for evening entertainment and soooo many restaurants. Anyway you choose it will be fabulous though!

Hi there...

If it has always been a dream to stay at GF then you should live your dream.

What an opportunity you have!! Enjoy

>>^..^<<

I have stayed at all three of your choices, and they are all so wonderful! You really can't go wrong. :) Here are my thoughts:

GF--I thought the GF was wonderfully luxurious and felt pampered while I was there; you get several amenities in the GF standard rooms that you must stay concierge to get at other resorts (bathrobes in rooms, upgraded toiletries); the monorail is a very fun, convenient way to travel to the MK and Epcot; you can see the MK fireworks and the EWP from the beach

AKL--this resort has an incredible theme; it's so wonderful to look out your window and see animals (savannah view rooms); the Boma buffet here is outstanding (especially the breakfast); the staff here is super friendly; it's only about a 5 min. bus ride to the AK; the resort has a very cozy feel and neat gift shop; the bus rides to the other parks (besides AK) can be a little long in some cases, since this resort is not as centrally located as the GF or YBC

YBC--I have stayed at the YC recently and was surprised how much I enjoyed this resort; I thought the theming would be a little "lack luster", but I ended up loving it; the nautical theme is very relaxing; Stormalong Bay is incredible if you like swimming; you have very quick access to Epcot (about 5 min. walk) and pretty quick access to MGM via friendship boat or walking path (about 20 min. walk); you can easily eat meals in World Showcase

Basically it all comes down to personal choice, but you really can't go wrong! My gut feeling would be to choose your resort based on which parks you will spend the most time at. :)

I've stayed at all three. I've only stayed in concierge rooms at the AKL and YC.

I really liked the non-concierge room at the GF, I wouldn't ever pay for concierge there again.

You could probably get a concierge room at the AKL for the same price as a standard room at the GF. Definitely take the concierge room at the AKL if this is the case.

The YC does have it's advantages, however my stay there did have some difficulties, and I'm not sure I'd go back unless the price was REALLY right.

I think the GF is overpriced, and unless you're getting a really sweet deal, I'd pass.

Bottom line, it all comes down to the costs. If they are identical for standard rooms, I'd probably take the YC.

Anne

If you have always wanted to stay at the GF, then that should be your choice. You will not be disappointed, it is beautiful!
IMHO my choice would be this:
1st choice - GF - luxury, restaurants, beauty and monorail
2nd choice - YC/BC for the pool, Epcot and Boardwalk
3rd choice - AKL - I personally like to be closer to the other parks,(my DH hates taking the busses) but again that is the beauty of AKL

BC is the Beach theme
YC is Nautical theme and a bit more formal than the BC, but both are beautiful.

Have a wonderful trip, you cannot go wrong no matter which you choose they are all great!

I haven't stayed at the GF, but have stayed at both AKL and the YC. We loved both resorts and would gladly return for another to either, however, the YC is our hands down favorite :D ! DH and I stayed there last November for our 18th anniversary. It is a beautiful resort and the location is so convenient. I think it is sophisticated, but not at all stuffy.

It had always been my dream to stay at the GF, too (and we could have for only $20 more per night), but we decided to stick with the YC. We were so glad we did! Next time we return to WDW, we hope to stay at the YC again.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever resort you choose :D .

Since this is such a great opportunity, I would go for it and stay at the Floridian. We've stayed at the Beach Club and my family at the AKL, but I would have to vote for the GF.

GO FOT IT!!!!

I have stayed at all three and liked all three. I love the AKL very much from the room decore to the restaurants. The Yacht Club was great too as the atmosphere was a bit more formal but not stuffy and the location was excellent. The Grand Floridian was very nice but my least favorite of the three. But I am a man who doesn't care for to much frilly / victorian decore. Still it was nice and we had a great time. If your husband said to make the decision and your dream is to stay at the Grand Floridian than you shoud go for it. The cancel may not come again and it is a wonderful place.

I have stayed at all three. I have also stayed at a lot of other "resort" hotels. IMO the GF is overpriced for what you get. I felt the service there did not live up the image Disney is trying to give for this hotel. It is a beautiful hotel, however, the staff always seemed to be doing me a favor by waiting on me. I also don't find the monorail to be wonderful since I don't spend much time at MK and it takes way too long to deal with two monorails to go to Epcot.

I have always enjoyed the YC/BC complex. I love being able to walk to Epcot since that is the park I spend most of my time in. That said I also really enjoy the AKL. I find it very relaxing to sit on my balcony and look at the animals.

I would recommend YBC due to reasons mentioned:

Close to two of the major parks
Best pool
Very nice building
Close to the Action

I would assume as 2 adults Epcot/MGM/AK would hold more attraction than "normal" relative to MK hence recommend YBC versus GF

Thanks
Jason

It would definitely be a toss up between the Grand Floridian and the Yacht and Beach Club. Both are very convenient, beautiful, have great pools, wonderful views, fantastic restaurants. Since GF is more expensive, and I am assuming that someone else is picking up the bill, I would have to pick the GF. They are usually the least likely to have discounts, and AKL has them very often.

Yep, that is my choice... the GF. When do we go????;)

Thanks for all the great replies, everyone! Epcot is our favorite park (when the kids are not with us....which is NEVER...LOL), it looks like we will probably stay at YBC so we can just walk over. As much as I'd like to stay at the GF, we are only going to be there two days, so I'd like to be "close to the action" as one poster commented. Plus, I like the idea of being close to the Boardwalk for nighttime activities. I know I can't go wrong with any of these resorts, so we'll just have to make a decision and stick with it!!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! Greatly appreciated :)

Sammy

Will you have a rental car? The reason I'm asking is because DH and I stayed at the GF last May, and we found the bus transportation to be lacking. The buses were infrequent at best. Once we started using our rental car to get to the parks and restaurants, our stay was much more pleasant :) Other than this issue, the GF was a nice place to stay! We requested a "dormer" room and it was really nice.

Also, the YC/BC are in a GREAT location. You can walk to Epcot and MGM, they are walking distance to great restaurants on the BW and in Epcot, etc. The way I see it, you can't go wrong staying at the GF or the YC/BC!

The one hotel I wouldn't pick is the AKL. DH and I had a bad stay there, but I'm actually not basing my opinion on that. It seems to me that there are always much more substantial discounts for the AKL than there are for the GF or YC/BC. If someone else was picking up the tab, I'd pick the GF or YC/BC over the AKL anyday:Pinkbounc

Definitely AKL. It's our new favorite resort and we will not be staying anywhere else :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter