Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Yup, I looked at them but for a flight from Hamilton to Abbotsford ... too far on a very tiny plane AND the only return flight is a red-eye. Only one flight per day is also problematic when travelling on business and there is a very real possibility that he might need to extend his stay which Swoop wouldn't allow. Both Westjet & AC will let him change his flight for about $100 --- sounds like a lot but he'd make that up in the extra he'd get to charge the client. Biggest problem is that i would have to drive in and out of Hamilton .. on expressways that I'm not familiar with, just too much stress for the Duck.

He HAS to be there for 8 am Monday and (hopefully) return the following Sat (or Sun, Monday or heaven-forbid, Tuesday). I actually was able to get the airfare down to about $600 using a bunch of combos that he can decide from -- WJ return, or some Aeroplan points for a fancy-pants highest level of business class one way and returning on a WJ flight. The union has agreed to cover his hotel so that concern is gone, I just need to pick a couple for him to choose from and he'll let them know. Rental car will cost at least $700 but i have a code that will get him 100 AM if he goes with Budget :P

And for our trip??? I just stumbled across the fact that the Agawa Caynon train has packages that will give us 3 nights accommodations, tickets on the train, & entry to just about every museum there is in the Soo for around $800. We've always wanted to take the train but the drive getting there is soooo long until i had a wonderful thought that will let us do another bucket list, PORTER flies from Billy Bishop to the Soo and we can use AM!!!!! I have the bizzarre wish to use the tunnel to the airport and Porter looks like a great airline to try out! It will take fewer AM than flying to Vancouver and the rental car has an offer right now that gives you 100 AM BACK. I'm thinking we'll even add an extra night in Toronto on either end and use our tickets to the aquarium that i got with AM.

I'm feeling a bit better now that i have a plan of action that will at least get us out of the house together. Just gotta pick which hotel we want to stay at -- or do we go with the fully furnished cabin????

WOW-that came together quite nicely! Sounds great too. Maybe you should be a travel agent...

Hmm...I might have to try both of these Drumstick flavours, didn't see them at my Sobeys. I DO plan to go back for more Haagen Daz before this promo is over. Might have to hit up another Sobeys tonight after work!

How much is the Haagen Daz? The flyer doesn’t mention about pricing. TIA!

The salted caramel drumsticks were really good :) I wish I had bought another box (or two). My son loves the fuzzy peach popsicles. I should have bought more ice cream.

Yup, I looked at them but for a flight from Hamilton to Abbotsford ... too far on a very tiny plane AND the only return flight is a red-eye. Only one flight per day is also problematic when travelling on business and there is a very real possibility that he might need to extend his stay which Swoop wouldn't allow. Both Westjet & AC will let him change his flight for about $100 --- sounds like a lot but he'd make that up in the extra he'd get to charge the client. Biggest problem is that i would have to drive in and out of Hamilton .. on expressways that I'm not familiar with, just too much stress for the Duck.

He HAS to be there for 8 am Monday and (hopefully) return the following Sat (or Sun, Monday or heaven-forbid, Tuesday). I actually was able to get the airfare down to about $600 using a bunch of combos that he can decide from -- WJ return, or some Aeroplan points for a fancy-pants highest level of business class one way and returning on a WJ flight. The union has agreed to cover his hotel so that concern is gone, I just need to pick a couple for him to choose from and he'll let them know. Rental car will cost at least $700 but i have a code that will get him 100 AM if he goes with Budget :P

And for our trip??? I just stumbled across the fact that the Agawa Caynon train has packages that will give us 3 nights accommodations, tickets on the train, & entry to just about every museum there is in the Soo for around $800. We've always wanted to take the train but the drive getting there is soooo long until i had a wonderful thought that will let us do another bucket list, PORTER flies from Billy Bishop to the Soo and we can use AM!!!!! I have the bizzarre wish to use the tunnel to the airport and Porter looks like a great airline to try out! It will take fewer AM than flying to Vancouver and the rental car has an offer right now that gives you 100 AM BACK. I'm thinking we'll even add an extra night in Toronto on either end and use our tickets to the aquarium that i got with AM.

I'm feeling a bit better now that i have a plan of action that will at least get us out of the house together. Just gotta pick which hotel we want to stay at -- or do we go with the fully furnished cabin????
$700 for a week car rental here?! Is the office near the skytrain? Maybe pick a hotel near skytrain - that would be maybe $50 for the week then?

Some OK deals at Sobeys ON if you need what they have.

Doritos / Tostitos / Lays buy 3 get 1 free, plus 10AM. Not sure what the price of the participating items will be but probably around $4 each at least so not a great deal, but if you already were going to purchase, then yes!

General Mills Cereal / Cheerios / Old El Paso Kits / Nature Valley / Fibre One spend $20 get 40AM.

Robin Hood Flour / Crisco / Hershey's Chipits / etc. buy 4 get 25AM. I'm out of flour so I'll do this...

Sobeys Flyer
On
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/sobeys-on-flyer-july-19-to-25/all

Metro Flyer
On
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/metro-on-flyer-july-19-to-25/all

Foodland On
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/foodland-on-flyer-july-19-to-25/all
I will be picking up some buns and bread here----- buy 2 get 25 airmiles.
logo.png

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I have been away for a few weeks and my brain is a bit fuzzy! Can someone please remind me how many airmiles we were supposed to get for buying the sobeys gift cards during mm. I remember that there were two offers going, I used the coupon from the mm promotion and I purchased 4 gift cards. So how many should I be looking for on my account?
Thanks

During MM Sobeys had a $150 GC get 150AM Flyer offer and then there was the spend $150 get 150AM MM coupon offer. The offers weren't working properly first thing in the morning on the first day. By the afternoon some reported getting 300AM for every $150 GC when they used the MM coupon and the flyer offer. Others didn't get any AM posting on their receipts. Some were told the MM coupon AM would show up in your account in 4weeks.

How you were treated depended on where in the province you lived. I personally shopped early and didn't get any AM on my receipt. Went back to the store and had some added manually. By the time I finished my shop on the first day the AM for the flyer deal were showing on the receipt. Waited and waited for the MM AM to show up. They didn't. Airmiles party line on that is to wait until 120 days from the end of the promotion and then they will look into it.

Bottom line answer to your question is you should be looking for 600AM for the 4 gift cards (these should have posted withing 1-2 weeks, flyer offer) then the MM coupon AM should have followed 2 weeks or so after that (I don't know if anyone had AM post that weren't already showing on the receipt).

Hope that helps but it's a really confusing situation.

Hey, that's too funny. I have been planning a 3 or 4 day trip to SSM for the Agawa Caynon this October as well. My husband has talked about the train for years but we hesitated on bringing the kids. Now that they're both in high school this fall, I'm looking at us going mid-week and leaving the kids with my Dad. They'll be in school during the day and have newspapers to deliver right after school to keep them busy.

I booked the hotel and tickets separately however. Where did you see packages? Is it on their website?

Did you know they used to run a Snow Train??!! I only found out about it a couple of months ago. I came across a review that talked about last year's newly reburished trains; food options; etc. You don't get to leave the train at the canyon however. The article said the Snow Train runs January - March. Imagine how beautiful the scenery would be!! All the snow and frozen waterfalls, rivers, lakes. But when I e-mailed Agaway Caynon train the person wrote back the Snow Train doesn't run anymore. :sad1: So sad. We never knew about the Snow Train before.

Hey, that's too funny. I have been planning a 3 or 4 day trip to SSM for the Agawa Caynon this October as well. My husband has talked about the train for years but we hesitated on bringing the kids. Now that they're both in high school this fall, I'm looking at us going mid-week and leaving the kids with my Dad. They'll be in school during the day and have newspapers to deliver right after school to keep them busy.

I booked the hotel and tickets separately however. Where did you see packages? Is it on their website?

Did you know they used to run a Snow Train??!! I only found out about it a couple of months ago. I came across a review that talked about last year's newly reburished trains; food options; etc. You don't get to leave the train at the canyon however. The article said the Snow Train runs January - March. Imagine how beautiful the scenery would be!! All the snow and frozen waterfalls, rivers, lakes. But when I e-mailed Agaway Caynon train the person wrote back the Snow Train doesn't run anymore. :sad1: So sad. We never knew about the Snow Train before.
Yup, i found it last year actually and we had planned a great 2 week trip around the province that included the train but we ended up babysitting Birt during that time frame! We had wanted to take the train when you were able to actually get off and wander around for longer or take it even further.
Scroll down to about the middle of this page and read all the details, they have both 2 and 3 day packages. It looks like you can cancel your train tickets if you haven't booked during a peak time!! Like i said, i thought the rates were more than reasonable -- still haven't picked exactly where we're staying but I've nailed down the actual dates & it's feeling more real now.

Agawa Train Packages

$700 for a week car rental here?! Is the office near the skytrain? Maybe pick a hotel near skytrain - that would be maybe $50 for the week then?
THIS is why i love this group! We're all willing to help each other out without any of the drama that exists elsewhere on social media (even when we veer WAAAYY off topic!) I was so excited to check out this option since we're all about saving money in this family. While it's a business trip and he can claim the expenses on his taxes, it's his own business so he has to actually MAKE the money to cover the expenses in the first place! SO i poked around and found out that the Surrey Central Station is ideal because there are 3 car rental agencies within walking distance and he'll actually be working in South Surrey. HOWEVER, none of them are open late enough on Sunday :( A little deeper dig though and it wouldn't really save enough for him to want the hassle of getting back to the airport for a 6 am flight when the first train doesn't leave the station until after 6.

Back to the drawing board :surfweb:

O/T
Shhhhhhh............... my Fall/Winter weekend getaway.
Every once in awhile I need a break away and since Niagara Falls is an easy drive for me(except that big bridge),,makes my hands sweat crossing over it.Just Sharing.
Things I like to do there:

Spa at Doubletree ///free warm cookies when you arrive. Can sometimes get a CAA discount.
http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/ho...pa-by-hilton-niagara-falls-IAGDTDT/index.html

Hilton Hotel
The view from the room is spectacular.
https://niagarafallshilton.com

Wander around the chocolate Hersheys store,,eat fudge.Fall time is a great time to pick up Christmas stocking stuffers
https://hersheyschocolateworldniagarafalls.ca

Bundle up and go watch the Christmas fireworks.
https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/fireworks/

Winter Festival Of Lights
http://www.wfol.com

Starbucks coffee--thanks airmiles

Spend my whole budget of 100.00 at the slots.(love playing rock around the clock).

Take in a show
Niagara Falls theatre https://www.niagara-falls-theatre.com

Floral Show House
I haven't been here yet but am hoping next trip to drop by,
https://www.niagaraparks.com/visit/nature-garden/floral-showhouse/

I know some find it too commercial but hey it keeps me sane till my next Disney trip.
Hugs Mel

And when I need a shot of flowers in the winter I grab a cup of tea and head to :
https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjo.../conservatories/centennial-park-conservatory/

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter