Advantages/Disdavantages of Booking through AAA

DBarber600

Mouseketeer
We are going to be staying at the AKL in June 2006 and we know that we want to do the MYW with Dining. The only way that I can see to get a discount with this would be booking through AAA (Please let me know if I am missing something). I normally like to do everything myself and be in control, but if it will save me money I'd be willing to book through AAA. Are there any advantages (besides the discount) or disadvantages of booking our package through them? Also, would I need to book through them or could I just call the AKL and tell them I have the AAA card and get the same discount? Thanks for your help!

DBarber600 said:
We are going to be staying at the AKL in June 2006 and we know that we want to do the MYW with Dining. The only way that I can see to get a discount with this would be booking through AAA (Please let me know if I am missing something). I normally like to do everything myself and be in control, but if it will save me money I'd be willing to book through AAA. Are there any advantages (besides the discount) or disadvantages of booking our package through them? Also, would I need to book through them or could I just call the AKL and tell them I have the AAA card and get the same discount? Thanks for your help!

If you're wanting both the AAA discount off the room portion and the MYW dining, you have to go through a AAA travel agent, plus you have to buy at least a one day MYW ticket for each person in your party. We are saving $356 by doing this (plus are getting 25 Disney Dollars because we booked in January). Of course, if the free dining promo extends into our vacation time, I will definitely be on the phone to see if we can get this.

The main advantage to us was getting the discount and the dining. I'm a control freak and hate not having control of our reservation, but I can live with it by saving the $$$.

If you want to have control over everything, you can book through Disney and get a AAA discount (if available) but you can't add on the dining.

Other than that, you can also book directly through Disney and get the dining but no AAA discount. You'd also have to buy at least one day MYW tickets for each person.

As for the perks for booking through AAA, you get:

an AAA Vacations® Diamond Card – All AAA Vacations® packages include the exclusive AAA Vacations® Diamond Card, which provides special savings and values at participating locations throughout the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Admission to the private AAA VIP Lounge in Tomorrowland® at the Magic Kingdom® Park, where your clients are invited to enjoy a soft drink in a private relaxing location (voucher required, subject to change)

AAA Diamond Parking – Convenient Preferred Parking spaces at all four Walt Disney World® Theme Parks (subject to availability, voucher required, block-out dates apply) - this is not free parking

AAA Vacations® keepsake luggage tag (one per person)

The How To Guide – a 40-page, full color booklet packed with everything from Theme Park maps and children’s activities, to tours, Disney Character Dining and special tips to make your AAA Vacations® package stay the most magical ever

Hertz® Rental Car Upgrade: Ask about an upgrade opportunity on selected rentals (restrictions apply)

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! That helps a ton! I hate giving up control, but I guess that's the best way to do it. It looks like I'll be booking through AAA.

Thanks!

BUT... remember if you book through AAA Vacations and a better deal comes out-you can not change it-your TA has to make the change. I've been caught a couple of times on this-never again.

I book myself using the AAA rate and if something better comes along at least I know I can try for it myself (not have to wait until 9:30 or 10:00 am to tell my AAA TA to call and try for the rate that's usually sold out by that time).

It all depends on how much of the leg work you want to do yourself-AAA never looked for discounts or codes - I always had to initiate the call.

Alternatively, you could use a company like DU or SWV-they could book AAA room rate if available and they will look for discounts/codes for you.

the CM's have to give you the Dining Package for your stay on propertyif you ask for it whether or not you book thru AAA.

bishop1989 said:
the CM's have to give you the Dining Package for your stay on propertyif you ask for it whether or not you book thru AAA.

what does this mean?

bishop1989 said:

:confused3

I booked a room only AAA rate through CRO. They told me I could only book the room - no package through CRO - I needed to go through AAA if I wanted a package with AAA rates.

Last trip (January 2004), I booked through AAA and it was more hassel than it was worth. The only value was the room discount.

I planned on ordering the MYW theme park tickets seperately.

Is there a better way to do this? Can I buy the park tickets at the resort - I'm staying at the CR this July?

Thanks!

about the AAA Platinum Plus Visa. This credit care gives 5% back on gas purchases. I used it for gas purchases only until my AAA TA said it also gives 2% back on vacations purchased through them. For a AKL stay with dining you could get a nice little chunck of change back if you pay with the AAA credit card. Just a thought!

I would book a AAA room only rate through CRO and buy your tickets either when you arrive or through a place like Orlando tickets or ticketmania.

mom_rules said:
It all depends on how much of the leg work you want to do yourself-AAA never looked for discounts or codes - I always had to initiate the call.

Just a comment on my personal experience with AAA -- I happen to have a great agent who does check for additional discounts. She even called me when the free dining came out (I had already booked it paying for the dining) to tell me that she could re-do the whole thing for me to take advantage of the new promo. She's saved us almost $600 so far. So I guess it depends on if you get lucky with a good agent there.

i agree with cour10ee my aaa agent is great i have no complaints. she finds the best deals out there and i can contact her anytime with ?? or concerns

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter