Accessing the site has gotten nearly impossible. Why?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I've been here for a long time so I know this isn't normal but in recent months, getting on the site has gotten harder and harder. And it isn't a device issue because it happens on my PC laptop, the computers at my office, and my iPhone. The only place where I don't seem to have a problem (yet) is my home desktop Mac. On my laptop, the site is super slow. Sometimes I can't post at all because I start to type and nothing even shows up unless I wait 30-60 seconds after typing each letter. At work, I can't access the site at all. When I try, it just crashes the browser. On my phone, it is also very slow and I can barely type a reply because it takes forever.

All of the devices I've mentioned work perfectly fine in every other way and at every other website. It is only the DIS where I have these issues so it has to be site related, not device related. I can't be the only person encountering this.

Disable Javascript for this site. Solves every issue and eliminates all the ads.

How does one do that?

The settings function on your browser. I use Chrome. Settings>Advanced Settings>Privacy>Content Settings>Manage Exceptions (enter url for disboards)

On my tablet, I just uncheck "allow javascript" while I'm on Disboards and recheck the box on other sites.

The settings function on your browser. I use Chrome. Settings>Advanced Settings>Privacy>Content Settings>Manage Exceptions (enter url for disboards)

On my tablet, I just uncheck "allow javascript" while I'm on Disboards and recheck the box on other sites.
Thanks. You can't just turn it off for one site, though, right? Either it's on or it's off. I rarely have only the DIS open in my browser. It seems a little ridiculous that in order to access this site, I have to reconfigure my entire computer. Something is wrong with that.

Thanks. You can't just turn it off for one site, though, right? Either it's on or it's off. I rarely have only the DIS open in my browser. It seems a little ridiculous that in order to access this site, I have to reconfigure my entire computer. Something is wrong with that.

On my Android tablet using the mobile browser, I can't. The "manage exceptions" part of the settings on the full browser is how you disable it on only one site. I leave "allow javascript" checked but then enter this site as an exception, so it won't allow it on this site but I can have multiple tabs open on my browser (I use a Microsoft Surface which is a tablet style computer so it acts like a desktop) that allow javascript everywhere else.

Anyone know how to do this on Microsoft Edge? I have this issue and also it continuously makes a musical tone when I'm trying to type a post. Now this post is doing alright but the last post I did took several minutes to get typed.

Also when on one desktop, I frequently get messages that the security certificate is incomplete or something like that. Only on Disboards do I have these problems.

Google is getting smarter and smarter by the minute with pushing the stuff (ads) they want to, so we just have to keep figuring out how to stop stuff from interfering with what we're doing.

Like 'DLgal' said above, I have the "allow javascript" unchecked and that seems to have solved the issues I had.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 7.08.45 AM.png

I also, just for giggles at another poster's suggestion, have the flash plugin disabled for disboards.com as well. It's definitely made my world a better place here!

Google is getting smarter and smarter by the minute with pushing the stuff (ads) they want to, so we just have to keep figuring out how to stop stuff from interfering with what we're doing.

Like 'DLgal' said above, I have the "allow javascript" unchecked and that seems to have solved the issues I had.
Jackie, as I said earlier, this problem is unique to the DIS. Clearly every other website I visit has figured this out. There's got to be something about the way they have this site set up that is causing the problem.

Install adblocker or blur.
I have adblocker. It helps some. However, I can't install any software on the work computers so can't even attempt to access the site there.

It still seems wrong that for this site only, all of these steps are necessary when nothing special needs to be done to get on any other site I visit. Surely that's something that the DIS folks could fix on their end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter