? about apple tree during the winter months

dmfuru

Mouseketeer
My DS planted a few apple seeds this summer in a little planter and one of the seed sprouted. Now we have this little sprout in a planter outside. My question is what do I do with it so the little apple tree will survive the winter? Should I bring it into the gargage and cover it up or do you think it will survive the winter in the planter outside. FYI, we live in an area where it can get below zero.

I really do not know the answer to this question. This is only a guess. I would think because it's a seedling it will need winter protection. If left outside where the pot will freeze completely it may not survive. If the garage is unheated I would try to winter it over there. If you do take it in go easy on the water. I think even seedlings go dormant in the winter. Good Luck!

Welcome to the Flower & Garden Board Dmfuru! :)

I don't know the answer to this either, and would probably follow Mamu's suggested course of action.

I'm curious, how small is this seedling?

Here's a link to information on apple growing, with planting suggestions near the bottom of the page. I hope it helps! :)

Any apple growing Buds out there?

Home Production - Apples

Kim :)

Thank you for the welcome Kim!

The seedling is pretty tiny. I would guess it's about 11-inches tall now. My DS started it from a seed from an apple he was eating. We planted four or five of the seeds and this one is the only survivor. I just hope it will survive through the winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter