Abilify ? Anyone familiar?

BCBug

Mouseketeer
My DS10 ASD just switched from Risperdal to Abilify, b/c with Risperdal, he was gaining way too much weight. It's only been 3 days, but he has not slept at all. I mean, less than 2 hours a night. Does anyone have any experience with Abilify? Is this common? DS is very sensitive to any change in how he feels, and medication changes tend to throw him for a loop, but this no sleep is a new one. I'd appreciate any info on this, while I wait for a return call from Doctor's office.(which has been known to take days). TIA.

I think most kids get sleepier-at least that's what we were warned of, and it certainly has been the case w/ DD 8. In fact, we upped her by 5 mg last mo. so that she takes 10 mg in pm and 5 mg in am, and she was really sleepy for a few days; and still can not stay awake more than an hour after her meds at night.

I have a patient who gained 50 pounds on Abilify...lost it as soon as he stopped taking it. Just thought I'd share. It seems to be effective though. Aside from weight gain people seem to think it works.

Abilify is often given in the AM because of occasional sleeplessness but I have had several children and adolescents take it at bedtime as well without major disruption. A big selling point for Abilify is that it is long acting so once a day dosing is sufficient. It also has less sedation and weight gain as compared to other meds in its class.
Unfortunately, many doctors prescribe other meds to act as mood stabilizers with the Abilify which often have a lot of potential for weight gain. Use portion control for meals with all of these meds as they will give a ravenous appetite.
Abilify should be started and increased very conservatively in children to avoid side effects, so that if your child was on risperdal it may take some time to reach an equivalent dose in Abilify.
Abilify also causes less drowsiness than the very sedating risperdal, another selling point for Abilify, but it may be making it harder for your son to sleep. Risperdal generally "knocks you out", but Abilify has much less sedation spread out longer, so your kid may be wide awake:eek: .
Definitely make your doctor aware of your concerns, but "Don't quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens" as they say. You may find that DS functions better on the Abilify after a good trial, but the first few days may be rocky...
Here a lil pixie dust..pixiedust:
BOB

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and encouragement. Just waiting to hear from Dr., but it helps to know we are not alone. Sleep-deprived, but not alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter