• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABD in a wheelchair?

KPeveler

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done an ABD trip outside the US with a wheelchair? My wife and I want to go before we have kids (in the next couple years, my wife is almost 30 and we dont want to wait too much to have a family), and she really wants to go to France and London. Conveniently, ABD has a trip with just that! I want to do this, but I use a wheelchair (powerchair, or pushed in a custom manual), and I am not sure how this works on an ABD trip...

Has anyone had any experiences with it? Thanks

We have only been on one ABD trip (China), so I don't have much experience. However, I am sure you will find the answer here. There is a great deal of knowledge on this board! :thumbsup2

In our limited experience, I would say to contact ABD and ask them how it would work. Our guides were FANTASTIC, and I am sure they would do anything possible to help. I do remember reading that there is an expectation if someone needed extra assistance they would need to travel with someone who could provide the help.

I hope you get to go on your dream trip. You can't go wrong with ABD.

my wife can take care of any needs i cannot handle myself... but i know a lot of the excursions lists wont work for me. for example, the american west one involves lots of hikes and kayaking, etc...

the irish castle stay sounds wonderful, but there is likely not an elevator in a castle! also, most other countries do not have the equivalent of the ADA, and some countries even will not allow me to be out alone, without a "handler"!! nevermind that I work and am getting a masters, a lot of places still think people with disabilities are like children, needing keepers...

i really want to do this, as travelling without disney fixing everything definitely does not sounds easy! hopefully it works out

We are going to China next summer so that will be our only trip. My ABD wish list includes: Ireland, Italy, GERMANY, and Backstage Magic. I am sure there are lots of things on the trip you and your wife will be able to do. The trip will be a nice break from studying and working on your masters!

I hope that you will get to go with ABD. They have so many surprises to make the trip really special.

I agree with Girls2Mama. Call ABD, and talk to them. They can walk you through all the activities, you can discuss what sounds doable & what doesn't, if there is wheelchair accessible transportation they can use, etc. Cobblestones are usually the biggest issue with European trips; someone who's been on this trip could tell you (or the guides could, too).

I say check on it. I find the folks at ABD are really knowledgeable.

Also, Girs2Mama is also correct in that, officially, the guides and bus driver are not allowed to assist you in & out of your chair, into the bus, etc. Your wife would need to be able to handle all of that. I'm sure it's for liability reasons.

I really hope you find something that fits! ABD does FABULOUS trips!

Sayhello

Thanks for the information. I'm just looking for wheelchair access information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter