A Very Cheery Cherry Blossom Trip Report!

AquaDame

DCL
I keep going back and forth about doing a trip report but ultimately decided to do it since there is so little information out there. The trip ended up going better than I had thought, and my husband has said flat out that the Tokyo Resort is now his favorite one as well. I am suspicious this is because we had two nights at the Miracosta w/ a harbor view room followed by one night at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel with theme park view but I digress.

My husband and I were the only people on this trip - we are both mid thirties without kids. I've been to Japan three times now - once when I was 19 or 20 with my brother, again when I was 24 with my now ex boyfriend and then this trip. I speak a little Japanese and more importantly can read some as well. Its amazing how little I thought about knowing what was in an onigiri, reading the names of stations in hiragana or knowing we were supposed to get ready to jump off the bullet train at the next stop before he did since I understood the Japanese announcement. I can't hold a conversation or understand an entire announcement (they do it so FAST!) but it helped a lot here and there. It definitely made me want to try harder for next time!

I've read the other couple of trip reports and it seems like people enjoy reading about Japan at large as well so that is where I will start. We planned to hit cherry blossom season and man, it panned out beautifully! I'll try to be fairly quick on the non Disney stuff since this is a Disney board after all! Our itinerary ended up being:

April 1st - depart at noon and arrive at 3pm on April 2nd (its a HUGE time change, isn't it?!).
April 2nd - 6th Airbnb in Shinjuku
April 6th - 10th Namba Oriental Hotel in Osaka
April 10th - 13th Tokyo Disneyland Resort
April 13th - 16th Airbnb in Akihabara
April 16th, fly home at 5:30pm, arriving at 10am the same day (before we left?!).

It was an amazing trip - hopefully I have enough pictures to get my point across! :)

Arrival Day!

I won't bore you too much with the details of our flight, but we ended up flying on Delta even though they use an old 767 for our route because it was nonstop. My husbands height encourages us to pay extra for more legroom so we sat in the Comfort+ seats which were OK. I still couldn't fall asleep very long but at least my butt didn't fall asleep! They fed us both dinner and breakfast on the 11 hour flight and provided us with a packet with slippers, a toothbrush with tiny tube of paste, an eye mask & ear plugs. Food on the way over was way better than on the flight home IMO, but I know they source it from a cafe here in town that has good reviews so.... here were the options:

IMG_7735.JPG

The flight was uneventful if long... I played Breath of the Wild on my switch but it didn't last long before the battery was depleted and then we watched a movie. I recommended my husband watch some Ghibli movies before we went since we got tickets to the museum but we only had time for a couple. I got in Kiki's Delivery Service on the flight and I'm glad we did since there was a lot about it in the museum. Finally we saw land again when we hit Japan!

IMG_7846.jpg

Deplaning was a breeze since the comfort seats are towards the front of the plane - we were off in a flash and the customs line wasn't too terrible. We waited about 20 minutes or so, but had we hit the area later we would have been pushed into a different area they opened up and it might have been faster. Or much slower as it seemed the entire rest of the plane was waved that way! At customs they took our picture AND fingerprints one at a time as well as asked us the generic questions of why we were there, where we were staying and how long, etc. Then we got our bags and went through the last bit of customs where they take the slip and ask you if you've brought any meat/veggies etc in. Then we were let out into the main part of the airport! YAY!

Our first stop was the ATM machine right on the other side to pull cash. There were a few and we hit no snags with pulling money at all this trip. Before we left (literally 48 hours beforehand as I am a procrastinator) I ordered a SIM chip through b-mobile and had it delivered to the airport. Adding the postage added another 200 yen to the cost but we had read on reddit the week prior that they were running out of sims at the airport during the busy cherry blossom season and I didn't want to risk it since I knew I wanted a particular company. There were literally kiosks everywhere though and I bet it would have been fine.... b-mobile's sim put me on docomo which was the same network that came up on my husband's phone. He kept his AT&T card in through in case the pet sitter needed to get ahold of us via text. The email confirmation had said to go to the 4th floor but then the map we found said the post office up there had been closed so we started searching for another one. I had a hard time finding it even with directions as we walked by it the first time... it was actually in the food court at the front. I brought up the confirmation on my phone and the post office worker grabbed the envelope for me and had me sign for it. To get it to work you just insert the sim, go to the website the paperwork directs you to (narita has free wifi) and it updates your carrier settings and you are good to go. We got a 5GB plan that would last for 21 days (we were only there for 14) for ~$33. Money well spent in my book since we almost always had an internet connection. Sometimes it cut out on the subway and Id have to put my phone into airplane mode briefly to get it to reconnect which was annoying, but that probably wasn't unique to this network.

We then hupped down to the JR station where we found a HUGE line to exchange vouchers for JR passes. Easily the longest line I saw to speak to an office the entire trip was down there. I have no idea how long it would have taken or if it was the norm - we didn't get it for this trip. We bought our tickets for the NEX to Shinjuku from a machine but had to wait for the next train as there were not many seats left. The platforms are right on the other side of the gates and down the escalator - the 7 minutes to hop on it would have been plenty if there had been seats for us. Maybe if you go super slow or have a lot of luggage or kids it would have been harder but in general if the machines were willing to sell us tickets for a train that was almost there it was reasonable to make it. Just make sure if you are cutting it close you hop on the very first car you see and just go through the cars to the right seat so you don't get left behind. They WILL run on schedule.

unnamed.jpg

My husband was very happy to see there was free wifi on the NEXT as it was about an hour and a half. One thing I really like is how they put both the departure and arrival times on the tickets so you know when to be more mindful that your stop is coming up in addition to all the announcements. Each car had two shelves on each side at the front of the car for luggage and also shelves above the seats for smaller bags. The largest suitcases would only fit on the floor of the rack but everyone was respectful and if they had a smaller piece it went above their seat or on the top shelf so those with heavier/larger ones could use the convenient spaces. Fare was 3390 to Shinjuku - the base fare and seat reservation costs are listed there also but I forget which is which. We always reserved seats on this trip where possible to make sure we could sit together. In the unreserved cars you just hope there are seats open - there were people standing but Im not sure if that was a choice or what... I would think they would only sell as many tickets as there were seats for unreserved?

We had a choice once we got to Shinjuku - walk the 'ten minutes' to our airbnb or transfer to another line. It was rush hour at this point so we decided to hoof it.

...I am loathe to say this was a bad choice. We're both young, healthy, and our bags were as empty as they were going to get. We were wide awake and excited to be in Japan but gosh darnit that kind of sucked. We found on this trip that one of our large suitcases just doesn't roll well. And Shinjuku had a LOT of cobbles. Very pretty cobbles. Not brick cobbles - fancy concrete cobbles - but they still sucked to drag a 25" suitcase over in a crowd. I got tired pretty quickly but sucked it up and dragged that sucker along the NOT ten minute walk to the airbnb. At least the scenery was great!

unnamed.jpg

We finally made it and were relieved there were no surprises with our airbnb. It was tiny but to my husband's credit he never ONCE commented on small spaces or showers or any of it the whole trip. I admit I was a little disappointed, lol! :)

He set up his phone to use the Mifi that was included with the apartment so he could have internet on his phone and decided to hit up a curry place nearby that had good reviews. I was so hungry by this point that I didn't even take a picture of it. (Scandalous!) but it was indeed delicious. And cheap! When I realized my mistake I decided to take a pic of the tiny sign that let us know we found the right building... it was on the 2nd or 3rd floor. My husband decided to show off the candy they gave us when we paid the bill.

unnamed.jpg

After that we wandered back to Kinokuniya (bookstore) and poked around and then found a random temple close by that we wandered around too.

unnamed.jpg

Finally it was late enough to justify going to bed so we tried to crash. My husband didn't have any issues falling asleep but I sure did... I found the room very cold even with the heater going in the corner of the ceiling and wasn't sleepy at all. When I finally fell asleep I'd wake up shivering again. Normally when I feel like that at home I just snuggle up to DH and poach his heat but that wasn't an option since the apartment had two single futons instead of a double bed. I thought maybe I could sleep in the middle but there was no way with the huge gap. In the end I finally got up and put on some wool socks and my sweatshirt with the hood up and was able to get warm enough to catch a couple hours of sleep... sadly my husband's ability to sleep ended at dawn and he was up very early. My rest would be all too brief. :(

Last edited:
Excited to read your report! :)

The JR Pass exchange at Narita is always insane. If you come again and decide to get the pass, I recommend exchanging them at one of the other JR Travel Centers across Tokyo if you aren't planning on using it right away. I've exchanged my last couple guest's passes at the Travel Center in Ikebukuro. Hardly anyone there and you don't have to wait at all!

I am totally going to look up that curry place. ;)

What a great start to your trip report! I am so excited to read more about it!

I had planned to exchange our JR pass at the airport, now I am reconsidering that plan. But we arrive at Haneda, so maybe things are better there. I guess we can be flexible in that regard.

Sorry that you were so cold in the night! I find nothing worse than not being able to sleep because it is too cold!

Excited to read your report! :)

The JR Pass exchange at Narita is always insane. If you come again and decide to get the pass, I recommend exchanging them at one of the other JR Travel Centers across Tokyo if you aren't planning on using it right away. I've exchanged my last couple guest's passes at the Travel Center in Ikebukuro. Hardly anyone there and you don't have to wait at all!

I am totally going to look up that curry place. ;)

That is a good idea..! It includes the NEX ticket though, right? Maybe that is why so many sucked it up and waited.

It was at this place: https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...4ad0a8!8m2!3d35.6891072!4d139.7074324!6m1!1e1 Somehow it ended up being the only curry I had the whole trip..! I thought I'd at least end up having a few, but there were other places that my coworker recommended to me so I never made it to another curry place.

What a great start to your trip report! I am so excited to read more about it!

I had planned to exchange our JR pass at the airport, now I am reconsidering that plan. But we arrive at Haneda, so maybe things are better there. I guess we can be flexible in that regard.

Sorry that you were so cold in the night! I find nothing worse than not being able to sleep because it is too cold!

It seems like Haneda is more convenient, but I have never flown in there! Delta was thinking about switching to it from here for some reason, but I haven't seen anything in the news about it for a bit so maybe it fell through. I wizened up after that first night and made good use of the ofuro in the apartment before bed so it did not happen a second time. ;) I never could figure out how to get the tub to autofill here though... it didn't help that the host had no notes about it in his book. There was also a TV in there but I couldn't figure that one out either.... every channel was blank so I assumed he didn't pay for it. I thought you always got NHK and HAD to pay for those channels but... who knows.

I flew into Haneda the afternoon of Sunday, April 2 and exchanged my JR pass at the office there. The line was quite long -- I think I waited somewhere around an hour. I wanted to get it out of the way on the first day since my only plan that night was grabbing a quick dinner and then sleeping. I wasn't staying close to another JR office and didn't want to go out of my way later in the trip to exchange it.

April 3rd, 2017

First day in Tokyo! When we made our plans everything was pretty freestyle. I put one or two things each day with the understanding that we would move stuff around as needed and as weather cooperated. We lucked out in that regard... not only did the cherry blossom schedule miraculously adhere to our dates (with one notable exception) the weather was mostly drop dead gorgeous! We ended up sticking to the schedule as it was, and so set out early this morning for breakfast and to head to Meiji Jingu. We had a Lawsons attached to the apartment so grabbed some onigiri and canned coffee.

IMG_7876.jpg

We walked to Shinjuku station to head over to Shibuya and I was really surprised at the few people up and about. Aside from the dog walkers and some office workers heading in early there were some groups of 20 somethings STILL GOING. They came out of the bars blinking in the sun or standing around smoking cigarettes - one lady was so far gone she was on her butt laughing uproariously at a guy trying to help her up. If I was in a bigger city I probably wouldn't be surprised but here last call really is at 2 and so everyone goes home. The only people I see at dawn are workers and homeless. Trash was also much more plentiful since everyone neatly bags it and has it ready to go in piles in the small alleys and streets - empty bottles neatly racked - but there was no litter anywhere mind you. It was just a totally different vibe from the night before - hoards of people - and of course a very different vibe from home. Since I'd had such a rotten night and I was clinging to the idea I *may* yet find a sakura mug at Starbucks we hit up the one in Shibuya to get me more caffeine and enjoy the famous second floor overlooking the scramble. My husband took a pic of the pastry case because he thought the waffle was hilarious for some reason.

IMG_7880.jpg
IMG_8477.jpg

The scramble is a screenshot from a video I took of a cycle but I am not sure how to upload it and its not that interesting, aside from getting to see how many people run. You see people running everywhere, especially in the metro stations and in crosswalks. After drinking my NOT sakura flavored coffee (Starbucks ends their campaign in mid March for whatever reason) and NOT getting a mug, we hupped over to our goal for the day and the first surprise of many.

Prior to the trip I had done due diligence in Kyoto to make sure we didn't waste time and found that Kiyomizu dera would be under construction though open during our trip. We changed our plans there and I didn't even consider that I should do the same thing for the rest of our trip. In the end it wouldn't have done much good. It seemed like ALL the major spots are under some kind of construction and cleaning right now for the olympics or some other milestone - Heisei 30 is next year so that might be it.

IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

As we approached the main shrine we were directed to stay to the left as they were still doing their morning duties.

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_7881.jpg

Thats me to the right with the Fjallraven (lots of these backpacks in Japan!) and beyond the gate you can see the scrims.

IMG_2315.jpg

From the right side - we really couldn't see the main part at all. :( I did buy my Mom a charm for good luck and we filled out an ema (wood wish card) though.

IMG_2310.CR2.jpg

My visit was complete! I have gone here on all three of my trips - first one I asked to get along well with my boyfriend, the second time I said I should have been more clear and I'd rather just meet the man I'd marry and this time to say thanks, that worked much better, lol! My grandmother died at the end of 2015 and my kitty less than a month prior to our trip this March so I also asked for them both to be happy and for world peace. I figure I may as well always ask for world peace, lol! Since you can see everyone's wishes prominently I'm assuming I wont jinx myself by telling you all. ;)

After this we moved on to the adjacent park to see some cherry blossoms! Its the reason for the season after all...er, reason we came here this season that is. Some of the parks were fully bloomed but this one seemed to need another day or two but was already approaching its peak.

unnamed.jpg

Kids playing - you can see some of the picnics set up behind them.

Last edited:

It seems like Haneda is more convenient, but I have never flown in there! Delta was thinking about switching to it from here for some reason, but I haven't seen anything in the news about it for a bit so maybe it fell through.

We are flying with Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa being the main German carrier and a member of Star Alliance kind of makes that an easy choice). It looks like Star Alliance has quite a presence at Haneda. Everyone told us that if we had the choice, this is the airport we would want to choose. We will see...

I flew into Haneda the afternoon of Sunday, April 2 and exchanged my JR pass at the office there. The line was quite long -- I think I waited somewhere around an hour. I wanted to get it out of the way on the first day since my only plan that night was grabbing a quick dinner and then sleeping. I wasn't staying close to another JR office and didn't want to go out of my way later in the trip to exchange it.

Thanks for the info!! One hour does not sound great. I will look into where else we can exchange easily. We will head to TDR first (most likely taking the Airport Limousine just for convenience) and will actually stay at the Hilton for a week before we need the rail pass (if we get it, we will mainly use it to get to Kyoto and back and we haven't decided if we are going to do any day trips from Kyoto or Tokyo as only those would make the rail pass a good deal). So, that should give us plenty of time.

Sorry AquaDame for hijacking your TR!!

I didn't think the JR pass office in Narita was that bad when I went in June '16. I waited maybe 15 minutes? Maybe it depends on when your flight gets in? I'm exchanging mine in June '17 right away because I'm doing a 2 week pass and it is covering my entire trip. ^^;

One thing to note, if you are buying a NEX roundtrip and you buy it from the JR Office vs the machine you can save money. JR East has a special on NEX roundtrips only available at the office, I want to say it is 4000 yen round trip vs 6000.

I think the shrine is Hanazono jinja. :) I went to a flea market there once.

I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip, especially the Namba Oriental, since I think I've thought about staying there before.

April 3rd part 2

Apparently I can only attach 10 pics at a time... I'll have to choose more carefully after I finish up this day!

I am not sure where I picked up the habit but I tend to 'boop' low hanging bunches with my forehead. Later on I would see the signs saying not to touch them though... well, I guess technically its not touching whoops!

unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Worried we might burn in the sun (hey, its still rainy and dark where I am from!) we moved on, grabbing a tasty looking crepe along the way when we saw others with them. No, we did not get the tuna pizza cheese in the bottom right corner. :p

unnamed.jpg

From here it was shopping time as I had been told to check out Tokyu Hands. The place is ginormous! We spent far too long wandering floor to floor checking everything out, using the handy dandy calorie guide on the stairs (what?).

unnamed-2.jpg

They have completely adorable everything in there - most of it at good prices. We were really glad we went and found other fun things like a "break area" cafe with e machine that poured actual lattes for you and a picture machine where you could upload any pic and it would make it into a puzzle for 400 yen. I would post more pics but I am somehow already at 5? Ugh!

From here we went in search of lunch at the 'best tonkatsu place' called Zuicho that my coworker told me about. He travels to Japan every year or so to help out at our office in Tokyo as he is our head network guy and said this is one of the spots they took him to that he really enjoyed. Spoiler alert: it was fabulous - even better than the curry we had the night prior. They only serve one thing - tonkatsu - and you choose small medium or large and it comes with everything here except more pickles because I had eaten most of them, lol.

unnamed-1.jpg

It was also in a tiny space inside a building but on the ground floor this time. They had a few chairs right outside where you can wait for a seat in line.

From here we went to the imperial palace and found... it was closed. I guess it is closed on Mondays, whoops! I remembered you could only really access the garden areas so didn't even consider it might be closed, especially on a Monday. That was OK though - it was already getting later in the afternoon and we'd spent time in a park already which I hadn't planned. The trees here were NOT plooped yet so we said we'd come back later (which we never did).

IMG_7904.jpg

The sun was getting closer to setting so we decided to go to the Tokyo Tower. Going up would have been SO EXPENSIVE! I did not remember that from my trip with my brother. We declined and checked out all the One Piece tie ins that have popped up there (???) and wandered down to the temple next door for some pictures.

IMG_6976.jpg

The tents had been full of food items but we shutting down for the day so we did not stop here. I knew going to the top of the metropolitan building was free, so we high tailed it over there for our view of the city. When we arrived it was just starting to sprinkle and we ended up waiting a half hour or so for our turn to go up. It was PACKED but oh so worth it when the sprinkle turned into a thunderstorm. We were up there quite awhile jostling to take pics and film some of the bursts going off around us. When we had enough of that it was time to find some food and we had already been in Tokyo for over 24 hours without sushi? How was that possible?

I did a google search (viva la docomo!) for conveyer belt sushi and found one closer to our apartment that had decent reviews and screens to order on so we knew it would be easy to get what we wanted. There are many to choose from but we happened to end up at Kaisen Misakiko - it was really fun, and I'm a little sad we didn't make it back to this kind of sushi place either. You order what you want on the screen, adding as many as you like and it zips by on one of the three sushi lines to right in front of you. Playing a little jingle that it has arrived you take your items off and then push a button to send the platform back to the kitchen. They had endless green tea at most sushi places - it along with the soy sauce & ginger are at every station and you help yourself. Endless hot water?? I was in heaven. Usually I have a hard time getting people to refill my tea so this was great. My husband marveled at the lack of lawsuits.

IMG_7922.jpg

From here we wandered into a department store to look around but they were closing in ten minutes so we didn't stick around too long. We tried to go into the Don Quixote but it was too crowded to even move around in there... we bought my husband a handkerchief since he didn't have one of his own and needed it in the restrooms since they don't have paper towels there. I had just enough energy to take a quick bath to warm up and cajole my husband into switching futons with me so I was away from the window before I konked out. The draft I had found earlier that day apparently didn't bother him at all.

We are flying with Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa being the main German carrier and a member of Star Alliance kind of makes that an easy choice). It looks like Star Alliance has quite a presence at Haneda. Everyone told us that if we had the choice, this is the airport we would want to choose. We will see...

Thanks for the info!! One hour does not sound great. I will look into where else we can exchange easily. We will head to TDR first (most likely taking the Airport Limousine just for convenience) and will actually stay at the Hilton for a week before we need the rail pass (if we get it, we will mainly use it to get to Kyoto and back and we haven't decided if we are going to do any day trips from Kyoto or Tokyo as only those would make the rail pass a good deal). So, that should give us plenty of time.

Sorry AquaDame for hijacking your TR!!

Being told to choose it sounds really promising! Hopefully I can do the same some time.

Day trips were way easier than I would have believed... I am so glad we did all the things we did. Taking the limo bus will probably be easy - it sounds very smart and I bet it will be less hassle than what we went through with our luggage. ^^;

Hijack away!! I love how trip reports prompt questions - I think its one of the most useful parts of them.

I didn't think the JR pass office in Narita was that bad when I went in June '16. I waited maybe 15 minutes? Maybe it depends on when your flight gets in? I'm exchanging mine in June '17 right away because I'm doing a 2 week pass and it is covering my entire trip. ^^;

One thing to note, if you are buying a NEX roundtrip and you buy it from the JR Office vs the machine you can save money. JR East has a special on NEX roundtrips only available at the office, I want to say it is 4000 yen round trip vs 6000.

I think the shrine is Hanazono jinja. :) I went to a flea market there once.

I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip, especially the Namba Oriental, since I think I've thought about staying there before.

I was frustrated when my husband didn't want to get roundtrip on the NEX at the time since I think you are right on the pricing, but we didn't end up taking it back to Narita! We could have, but we found something that worked for us better so I am glad in the end we didn't get it.

Thank you for knowing what shrine we stumbled into! Thats amazing! :D

I had a mostly positive experience at Namba... the downsides I'll be sure to get to on check in day so hopefully I don't make you wait too long! :o

I have to take notes about your restaurants. They all look wonderful!! And it is great to have a face connected with the screen name now! I have to admit I always thought you were about 63 or so. A young 63 because of the cool avatar, but I guess the word "Dame" makes me always think of Judi Dench and her age group... :goodvibes

And I have the next question: what is docomo??

Which also reminds me of another question: Is there a reason why you chose a SIM card and not one of those mifi devices?? I am really torn what to do about this in Japan, but I know I really want a phone that can access data wherever I am.

The 10 pictures limit to the post is why a lot of people use some kind of picture hosting site for their trip reports. If you just link to the pictures, you can have 35 in one post. I use photobucket.com because it is free. But it is a bit temperamental sometimes. I know that others use flickr or other places. I think some link to pictures on Facebook - which would explain why I cannot see them at work since Facebook is blocked there.

I have to take notes about your restaurants. They all look wonderful!! And it is great to have a face connected with the screen name now! I have to admit I always thought you were about 63 or so. A young 63 because of the cool avatar, but I guess the word "Dame" makes me always think of Judi Dench and her age group... :goodvibes

And I have the next question: what is docomo??

Which also reminds me of another question: Is there a reason why you chose a SIM card and not one of those mifi devices?? I am really torn what to do about this in Japan, but I know I really want a phone that can access data wherever I am.

The 10 pictures limit to the post is why a lot of people use some kind of picture hosting site for their trip reports. If you just link to the pictures, you can have 35 in one post. I use photobucket.com because it is free. But it is a bit temperamental sometimes. I know that others use flickr or other places. I think some link to pictures on Facebook - which would explain why I cannot see them at work since Facebook is blocked there.

As someone who often feels she acts too young for her age I'm excited you thought I was older! You're completely right about dame being antiquated. I always thought that bit from Lady and the Tramp was funny where they say his achilles heel is dames. That and my respect for Dame Judy Dench is right up there with Dame Maggie Smith. ;) The aqua is because I'm an Aquarius who loves bodies of water. I really wrung my hands about whether or not to post my face but if I'm going to do this there is no way around it.... I'm in too many pictures! I'm pretty boring so hopefully no one takes it upon themselves to find me IRL... I wouldn't even think of it if I wasn't a mod and so might make an enemy some day.

Oh! I wrote about docomo up above - under the plane engine and above the NEX ticket. Its the mobile network my SIM connected to while I was over there - it never deviated from that one using b-mobile's sim. I chose to get it because I was worried about keeping another device charged and my phone connected to it. It was just one more device to tow around. The big plus is that if you get one of those then all your devices can connect to it of course. Both the Airbnbs we rented had a device for us to use while we were there, but that didnt do us any good in Osaka or at TDLR since we were staying in hotels there. Rather than rent a second device for those days I decided to just get a SIM to cover me for the whole trip. In the end I'm really glad we did - the first one we had worked fine but it WAS annoying to carry it/reboot it when it dropped and it ran out of battery at one point. The second one had a horrid connection.. my husband fought with it for days whereas I was just always fine with my phone aside from a couple switches into and out of airplane mode if the connection wouldn't reconnect when we came out of the subway. I'd say I had to do it 3-4 times in those two weeks though and it took seconds.

I was frustrated when my husband didn't want to get roundtrip on the NEX at the time since I think you are right on the pricing, but we didn't end up taking it back to Narita! We could have, but we found something that worked for us better so I am glad in the end we didn't get it.

Thank you for knowing what shrine we stumbled into! Thats amazing! :D

I had a mostly positive experience at Namba... the downsides I'll be sure to get to on check in day so hopefully I don't make you wait too long! :o

Glad I can help, the temple near the Tower is Zojoji which is connected to the Tokugawas, like Nikko. :) I've been to a lot of temples.

Ah, yeah if you're not going back by NEX, then the roundtrip doesn't help. I've done the airport limo directly from my hotel a few times (as well as the bus from OCAT in Namba) but because of where I tend to stay I generally use the NEX. I heard there is some 1000 yen bus from near Tokyo Station as well, but I've never taken it. I've done the Keisi years ago, but I am usually not near Asakusa.

I look forward to the hotel review! I finally booked my 2 nights at Tokyo Disney and decided to stay at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel because the package was considerably more and Mickey's was booked and Hana had nothing we would eat. :( We're doing the cheapest room there, but it still looks awful nice. I can't wait to see all your food reviews for TDR because I just found out I can book restaurants in advance staying at the hotels.

BTW, I think Tokyo Disney must have recently updated or fixed their website, because I had no problem booking with a Visa. I was pretty surprised.

That is a good idea..! It includes the NEX ticket though, right? Maybe that is why so many sucked it up and waited.

It was at this place: https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...4ad0a8!8m2!3d35.6891072!4d139.7074324!6m1!1e1 Somehow it ended up being the only curry I had the whole trip..! I thought I'd at least end up having a few, but there were other places that my coworker recommended to me so I never made it to another curry place.
Yeah, that's probably true! Usually when I have guests, I start their passes for later in the trip because they mainly need it for the shinkansen trip to Kyoto/Hiroshima/etc. My last visitor was here for two weeks, but she only bought a 1 week JR Pass for the big trip we took on the shinkansen. Traveling from Narita, I usually ship my bags to my hotel/home via Kuroneko and then just take local trains or one of the limo buses depending on where I'm going. (Or Keisei skyliner which isn't covered by the JR Pass, but takes you directly to the station where I'm living right now.)

Thanks for the google link! I'll definitely check it out. :)

Sorry you ran into so much construction! Kiyomizudera work has been going on since at least 2012, though they recently reopened the one part that's been under work for awhile. Still a great sight, but it does lose some of the effect when it isn't under construction. The Meiji Jingu work began sometime in February I believe; I think they waited till after the New Year celebrations are over. They're not only doing work for the olympics, but also for the anniversary of the shrine. :) I'm amused by all the signs up that says they'll be done in Heisei 30 (2019), but with the emperor abdicating Heisei 30 probably isn't going to be the name for that year anymore...

April 4th, 2017!

This is probably one of our more "boring" days we had for most people... since I married an engineer sometimes we go out of our way to get to things most people do not care much about. Today it was the Yamanashi Prefectural Maglev Exhibition Center and it was at the absolute TOP of my husband's list! Unlike my more laissez faire planning for the trip he scoured the website before we left, even setting up a change notification so anytime an edit was made to the website he would get an email and could go look. They only released the dates the train was running at the beginning of the month, and since we left on April 1st we just didnt know if it would pan out. The hope was that he could snag a ride on it during one of the test runs but we found out that you can only book that if you are a Japanese citizen, which we are not. He was pretty glum, but we of course went anyway since they also have an observation deck there. Oh, whats that? You have no idea what I am talking about?

Yeah, I didn't either! ;)

Apparently maglev trains should be the next major change in rail systems. From wikipedia:
"Maglev (derived from magnetic levitation) is a transport method that uses magnetic levitation to move vehicles without making contact with the ground. With maglev, a vehicle travels along a guideway using magnets to create both lift and propulsion, thereby reducing friction by a great extent and allowing very high speeds. In itself, maglev technology includes no moving parts."

Currently there are only three countries in the world currently implementing the system or planning to in the nearish future, with Japan hopefully opening the Chuo Shinkansen line using the technology in 2027. They have already broken world records by getting their train up to 603 km/hr (374 mph). Its been in the works for decades and my husband was thrilled they would be open and running the train this day.

Given how far from Tokyo proper it is I doubt anyone else will go, but I would say it was worth it for us. We took the Chuo Line Limited Express to Otsuki and then hopped on a bus that took us the rest of the way. The hardest part was figuring out where the bus stop was when we got to Otsuki. I tried asking in Japanese when English was failing and they still couldn't understand me... great, my Japanese was worse than I thought! Ugh! The station attendant waved down another person who spoke English and she still had no idea what I was talking about when I said Maglev Museum. Well, thats because they call it the prefectural linear exhibition center. Whew, my question in Japanese had been fine, there was just a total breakdown at the different names, especially the maglev part! She pointed us in the right direction and we were able to get there without any further issues. Every bus we got on this trip took the Suica card - we just tapped it when we entered and tapped when we got off and it deducted the proper fare for us. I had exact change pulled out just in case, but it was not needed.

The museum had just opened when we got there so there were only a handful of other people there. Mostly grandparents with a grandkid who was into trains it seemed. There are three floors to it with the shell of the first test maglev on the bottom, the exhibits and examples on the second floor and then the viewing area and a model city on the third. We zipped up to the second floor since people were milling about on the first floor and we wanted to find out right away if the train was running but got stopped at the second when we saw there was no line to ride this beauty:

IMG_7948.jpg

Its a little model car clearly meant for kids (ahem) but my husband insisted. The worker motioned for us both to get in which surprised me given the weight max is 100kg!! He made a show of pushing down on the car as if he was testing us for... ahem... clearance? He did run it though so I guess it was OK. I would have been fine taking turns!

Ride accomplished we played around with the little models and exhibits on that floor that show you how the levitation works. It was all written only in Japanese so its really all we could do... I know some kanji but am by no means literate! We really lucked out as when we went up to the third floor they were getting ready to run the train! Score! A woman was making announcements in Japanese so I knew it was coming soon, so we got out the DSRL and waited... then a train just FLEW by the window! WHAT! I MISSED IT! I can't remember if my husband nabbed the first run but not to worry... the train came back more slowly and then parked so everyone could get nice shots, lol.

IMG_2337.CR2.jpg

Now that I could relax and look around I realized aside from the woman with a mic there were also monitors set up above the windows that showed you where along the test track the train was and how fast it was going. I wished I had noticed that first but we had been so excited with the timing and looking out the window... oh well. We wandered over to the model city and marveled at all the details on it. Here is a small section with Fuji painted in the background. The two boxes were showing clips of older trains.

IMG_6990.jpg

When we were just about ready to head back down (and out) we heard an announcement that they were running the train again. WHAT? We had assumed they would just be doing a couple test runs a day and it hadn't been more than 20 minutes surely? So we ran back to the windows and got much better footage of it going full speed down the track. When we did finally go downstairs and checked out the model train on the bottom floor it ran a third time... I'm not sure if they just go all day but it certainly seemed like it. My husband's train cup runneth over! ;)

In the end we didn't spend much time here really. We had built in more time thinking we'd need to wait to see the train, so we were well ahead of schedule. We went to the gift shop in another building and then had a to wait for a bus back to Otsuki. I want to say we arrived at 8:45 am and the first bus back wasn't until 10:20 - we waited maybe 20 min or so.

We only really had one more plan for this day. When my husband said he wanted to go and we saw how long a train trip it was we wondered if it would be better to do the Ghibli museum this day or go somewhere with good views of Fuji. I originally wanted to spend a day in Hakone, but given how close we were to Kawaguchiko we decided to just do it on this day instead. Much like when we went to Zermatt a couple years ago though I stubbornly decided if I was going to be so close to a mountain I may as well go ON the mountain and we decided we wanted to go to the 5th station. We were both a little worried that we wouldn't have enough time, but now that we were there and finished up with the museum so early we knew it was a go so on we went! We even had wool socks and hats with us for the inevitable cold!

Here is where my memory gets fuzzy unfortunately. I am pretty sure we got back on the Chuo line - a local one this time, no express - and headed towards Kawaguchiko. The reason I can't remember is because my excited husband lost his marbles. ^^; While on the bus back to Otsuki the couple that was on the bus with us pulled the signal to stop and he decided to get off with them. What?? It was so quick I left my practically full bottle of tea on the bus like a jerk... sorry bus driver! :( I was pretty cranky about it once we were off asking why and he said it would be faster since the train came through this way anyway. Unfortunately the only train that came through was a slower local one... oh well, from the train we had nice views of Fuji!

IMG_7997.jpg

The local train with more stops however gave him the opportunity to do it AGAIN on the other end. He suddenly stood up saying lets get off here, I protested saying we weren't at the right station yet but he was already out the door so I followed. Once we were off he explained that since the local train had been so crowded he thought it was better to get off at this other station as it is where the bus to the 5th station departs from first. He was hopeful we could get better seats if we were at the first stop versus the second. Oooooh. OK. Grumble. I went to use the bathroom while he asked the station attendants where to catch the bus from and when I came back he had sad news - the 5th station was still snowed in and so the bus was not running yet. Boo!

So we changed gears yet again and caught a train to Kawaguchiko. The first train that came was a special "view" train and it was PACKED. I mean, literally sardines packed by this station. There were lots of tourists with lots of luggage in every inch of space but luckily we didn't have far to go - it was just two stops away. We didn't really have a plan per se so we just wandered down towards the lake taking in the view. We were hungry for lunch so we started looking at the restaurants and nothing was speaking to us. We got to the ropeway and decided to go up it even though there was quite a line. They had a tent set up next door selling odango so I bought both kinds for us (one was sweet soya sauce and the other had powdered kinako) to tide us over for now. The cars have cute little tanuki on one and bunnies on the other one to go with the "Kachi Kachi Yama" theme, which I guess is a story I don't know. ^^;

IMG_7024.jpg

At the top is a tea house that... yep, was under construction. The whole thing had been torn apart and there were many workers putting it back together again. Thats why there had been the little tent at the bottom with snacks and trinkets. You couldn't access any of the things that are usually at the top - no bathrooms, kawarake tossing, bell or postcard service. Which was OK since we didn't know about any of that anyway! We wandered around a little bit up a trail and then went back down again as we were hungry for lunch still. At this point my husband was well and truly worried about burning - by the lake there was no shade and while we had thought about renting one of the swan boats to paddle in we nixed the idea, stopping at a Lawsons to buy some sunblock and slathering up. We grabbed some ramen on the way out which was just OK. A lot of restaurants were either super expensive or had bad reviews online. I also purchased some omiyage from here - cookies in the shape of Fuji - for gifts back home. We had purchased a train combo ticket with our ropeway fare and got to ride this little cutie back to Otsuki.

IMG_7006.jpg

The inside of the train was decorated as well with curtains and headrests that had the same comical emoti-fujis all over them. It was also WAY less crowded than the scenic train had been! We got back fairly early in the evening and were feeling pretty blase about dinner since our lunch had been so late. After hanging out for awhile to recharge phones (and rest weary feet) we decided to try out an old school yakitori place in Omoide Yokocho as we didn't feel like going too far.

Let me clarify that when I mean mistake I only mean for us. See, I'm allergic to cigarette smoke (strike one) and neither of us like tripe or organ meat (strike 2). We DO like having different types of skewers along with some veggie skewers which it didn't really seem like this place had in the end (strike 3). It WAS nice and cheap, we were able to grab a seat right away and to their credit they really did try to accommodate us picky foreigners. I am sure if I enjoyed eating cartilage we would have loved it, but well, we don't. They very nicely were able to mime stomach and snout when they almost offered us a bowl that was complimentary but didn't drop it off when we shook our heads. We ate as much of the skewers we were given as we could (I admit the crunchiest and chewiest pieces were left behind.. I am so sorry shop owner) quaffed the beer and high tailed it out of there in the hopes the smoke wouldn't give me a migraine.

We then went to a nearby arcade for the last "mistake" of the evening - letting my husband try his hand at pachinko. Even though I described it to him as best I could prior and insisted it wasn't fun and doesn't make sense he was still adamant about trying it. Seeing us putting money in a machine one of the workers ran over and showed him how to use the dials so he actually lasted far longer than I did when I tried years ago but agreed that it was too confusing. We moved on to other games and he tried his hand at a candy claw machine too but we ended up empty handed. Oh well, at least he beat me at Mario Kart. ;)

IMG_8095.jpg

Great pictures of Fuji-san! I actually just read an article about the Maglev trains and the lottery to ride one. I'm glad you got a chance to see them even if you couldn't ride one.

I once took the not!shortcut from Hashimoto back to Kyoto because I thought continuing on to Gojo and then Nara would be faster than going back to Wakayama and catching a Limited Express. I was very very wrong. lol

Loving it so far! Man do I ever miss Japan!!
We managed to get to Kawaguchico and not even SEE Fuji till the end of the day when it peaked out from behind a cloud lol! We're planning Hakone for next year!
Can't wait to read more!

Great pictures of Fuji-san! I actually just read an article about the Maglev trains and the lottery to ride one. I'm glad you got a chance to see them even if you couldn't ride one.

I once took the not!shortcut from Hashimoto back to Kyoto because I thought continuing on to Gojo and then Nara would be faster than going back to Wakayama and catching a Limited Express. I was very very wrong. lol

The system is almost *too* efficient...! It is so easy to get on the wrong train - we almost did on the way back to Tokyo because we were at the right platform about 10 min before our train was going to leave and there was a train named the same going to the same place but it was 3 instead of 8 or some such. Sure enough it pulled out before we were to leave and the proper train took its place! We had to be careful to never board too early (even 5 min would be too early!) and make sure it was the right departure. Even more confusing when different lines share platforms but man, you can really zip everywhere quickly if you get on the right one!

Loving it so far! Man do I ever miss Japan!!
We managed to get to Kawaguchico and not even SEE Fuji till the end of the day when it peaked out from behind a cloud lol! We're planning Hakone for next year!
Can't wait to read more!

Haha, that happened to us in Zermatt!!! We stayed a few nights thinking surely we'd get a view at some point... well that stinker stayed in clouds until our last morning when we only had about a half hour left before our train arrived! WHY can't mother nature bend to our whims? :tilt:

April 5th, 2017!

THE day was here! Ghibli Museum Day and I could not be more excited. Aside from planning the Disneyland portion of our trip the Ghibli museum was the only other part I felt I had to really plan out far in advance and even that laughingly close to the entrance day in Disney terms. Tickets go on sale from the first of each month for the following four months (so I bought our April 5th tickets on December 31st, 2016 as that was already January 1st 2017 in Japan). I was NOT leaving it to chance that I would get tickets. ;) The only way to purchase them ahead of time is to go through a designated agency for your country, so in my case I bought them from JTB USA. I had to fill out an online form listing my preferred dates and putting the exact names of those who would be visiting. They then sent a confirmation asking me to call in with my CC number and then mailed me the ticket vouchers. They charge $15 a ticket instead of the $10 at the gate plus another $14 for shipping, but at least I knew I had a spot. The only other way would have been to wait until we arrived in Japan and try to buy them at Lawsons which then also gives you an entry time for the museum whereas the vouchers don't have that - you can go in anytime they are open. So it was money well spent I suppose!

Once again we walked down to Shinjuku station and this time had a quick breakfast at a little bakery called Gontran Cherrier Tokyo that had good reviews. They had a ton of interesting options and it was already getting crowded just after opening but we had an easy time getting a table upstairs. I think the vibe they were going for was European metro - there was a ton of white tile and European posters upstairs and they were playing a mix of French and English music. The pastries were really tasty but we kind of overdid it... I kept the curry bun for later (the one with sesame seeds) but we did indeed share the rest between us.

IMG_8101.jpg

We once again hopped on the Chuo line (which is why we almost did it yesterday) and then transferred to the Ghibli bus. I had been told we would know it when we saw it and man, they were right!

IMG_7041.jpg

The ride to the museum was uneventful but I really liked looking out the window here. The route we took was on a one way road that had awesome parkway on one side and cute houses & businesses on the other. It looked very well planned out and orderly with lots of trees. We got to the museum early as I had planned since they say online people line up early but we were one of the very first and there was no line yet. I had not known that the museum was inside a park area with a zoo, baseball fields, a pond as well as shrines... we could have probably spent all day wandering around here! Instead we milled about taking pictures of more sakura - they were pretty much fully in bloom by now. <3

IMG_7050.jpg

Closer to opening we went back and joined the now formed line as they went inside the gates. Two workers were checking tickets as we went in as well as passports in our case, verifying we were the same name on our tickets. We then lined up by the front door to await opening when they rang a bell to greet us inside. You cannot take any pictures from inside the museum, but here is the main gates before they were opened.

IMG_7043.jpg

I have heard mixed messages about the museum, with people either loving it or hating it. It seems like if you go in hoping for more of a museum with insider info on the company itself or looking for anecdotes and dirt you'll have a bad time. If you just love the movies and enjoy looking at cute displays with a few facts about the drawings of the film and such then you will love it. I think I would be happy with either but the cute details everywhere were just so... relaxing. I loved it. I also spent way too much in the gift shop, lol!

With your admission you get a ticket to see a special short movie you can only see there. They were showing 'Water Spider Monmon" on our day... I hate spiders, lol. The movie was very cute and I didn't mind too much but it was still funny. ;) We of course planned to have lunch in the cafe and it had been recommended that we line up about 30 minutes before opening which means we only had an hour or so before we needed to go get in line. They have a seating area outside where you line up and they gave us menus to peruse while we waited. They then brought us in one group at a time about 15 minutes early and took our orders. One thing that was appreciated was that they only brought maybe 5 tables in at first. Once they had taken all our orders (in the order in which we came/were sat) and gotten our drinks they would bring more groups in one at a time. We had a mostly empty cafe for our entire meal this way, and Im sure it helped the kitchen pace themselves to boot.

IMG_7057.jpg

The prices were a little higher than we were used to by now, but we didn't mind much since the atmosphere was so nice. I had "strawhat" omurice where they put the layer of egg over a pile of fried rice and drew a "ribbon" around the crown of it with ketchup. It was very tasty but my husband did not enjoy the tonkatsu sandwich at all... it was pretty dry and by now he was not feeling well. I'm not sure if we had too much breakfast or what but he was uncomfortable for the rest of the afternoon. Once we were done with our lunch we started working our way through the different exhibits, sitting on the catbus, taking in all the pictures and wandering the outside gardens. I spent a lot of time examining every last item in the gift shop and by some miracle of sheer willpower my husband did not strangle me for being so slow, lol! :) I had warned him prior to the trip I would likely want to bring back a bunch of swag from here and Disneyland, and we even brought the extra large luggage for each of us to accommodate our swag which is unheard of for us. We typically buy very little on our travels... as long as I get something small, usually a magnet, from a given country or city I'm usually good. BUT NOT HERE AND NOT TODAY. >:D I did carry it the entire rest of the day though - it was the least I could do. The only thing he got was a tin of cookies to share with his coworkers.

Once we were done at the museum we headed back into Tokyo and went over to Shinjuku Gyoen. It was shocking we had been there so long and not yet set foot in the park since it was RIGHT THERE but it is only open 9-4 with gates closing at 4:30. This really was our first chance... and we arrived around 3pm! Entry was 200 yen per person and there is no alcohol in the park so there were no raucous cherry blossom shenanigans here - just quiet picnics with friends and family. We pulled out our sheet and drank some tea under the blossoms and relaxed for a bit here then wandered as far into the park as we could before they started to announce closing.

IMG_7111.jpg

Closing was... odd. They started announcing close at 4pm and most people ignored it. Around 4:15 they started playing old lang syne so we started walking faster, lol. We hit the restroom before leaving and noticed more and more security officers about - two were outside the restrooms. They were announcing the close very loudly and suggesting all the "okyakusama" (guests) start hitting the road (my interpretation) but they did not stop us from entering the bathroom. 4:30 though? HOO BOY. An entire wave of security officers rushed further into the park from the entrance where we were at this point and they started blaring a siren over the loudspeaker. No more nice music, literally siren sounds. o_O; They take closing VERY seriously it would seem. Eventually.

As we wandered out with the hoards of people towards the train station some other tourists swimming upstream towards the park called over asking if the park was still open and we yelled back no, it closed at 4:30. They were about as bummed as we were that first day... ^^;

I then followed my coworker's other suggestion and we took a train down to Chiba to try out the 'best pork donburi' place. This one was also up on the third floor of an inconspicuous building and was called 'Butayarou' which I find very punny. :D My husband liked this more than the tonkatsu but I think I like the tonkatsu better if just buy virtue of including tea and pickles. Oh who am I kidding I also love runny eggs. It was really good lean meat though! The owner suggested I get the small and my husband got medium which was way too much rice for him. Looking on yelp the only english review from 2014 mentions baby roaches apparently... I did not see a single bug or issue when I was there? Maybe its just to scare us away, lol.

IMG_7135.jpg

From here we hit up another recommendation - Super Potato. Its a huge second hand video game store. We wandered around a little and it was interesting but we had no real plans to buy a system to play the games, so we just kind of took in the sights.

IMG_7121.jpg

I was dissatisfied with Shinjuku Gyoen because I wanted to see the sakura parties so I did a naughty thing and dragged my tired and footsore husband over to Ueno park at this point. We wandered through the park, I enjoying the crush of happy people and marveling at the uplit trees, lantern lights and shrines, my husband wondering why we were gawking at strangers partying with coworkers. ^^; We did not stay long.

IMG_7124.jpg

I filmed our walk out of the park to always remember just how jam packed it was and then relented and we went back to the apartment. Tomorrow we were transferring to Osaka on the shinkansen so we needed to pack up and be ready to go in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter