A Tink in training - journal

I couldn't stand messing with my schedule and did run today. It was an ok run and the weather was nice. I think I have not been drinking enough. Its so hard for me when its cold to remember yes I still need to drink lots of water,even when it is not hot. Tomorrow I shall attempt power yoga agian, and may couple of easy slow miles. Is there a word like "grinch" for not being in the thanksgiving mood? If so that would be me. I am not even assigned that much to make.

I have been reading "performance nutrition for runners" by Matt Fitzgerald. I still really need to work on my diet, I want to have it more sorted so when I start having higher mileage weeks I will not have to think to hard about it. I like it so far but am not that far into it.

This past week was good, though I didn't quite stick to my dietary goals. Surprisingly not because of thanksgiving but because of my Cousins baby shower on black friday. It was brunch, but we ended up staying for quite a while thru to afternoon so I kept nibbling on the nibbles, never really eating proper food and then realized I was starving while picking over the black Friday leftovers in the evening and eating a Reese's candy bar before dinner. I am not too into black friday I find it very stressful, but I did get Season 4 of Downton Abby for $10 so now I own all of them except for season 6.

My runs were good for the most part and I am getting used to hitting the slower paces, I think the cold has been helping me in this matter. I usually like to wait until it is at least 50ish before I run but it has been taking longer to warm up in the morning for what ever reason. I went on my longish run 6 mi on a out and back where it is pretty much uphill on the way out and down on the way back and realized, I haven't been doing it often enough. My calves were so tight!

Here is what I plan for this week:

Daily - 6 servings of fruit and Veg at least (I am trying that thing where you change one aspect of your diet each week)

Mon 2 mi @ 11:21 -(did it at 11:13 getting pretty good without having to keep checking my garmin too, if you don't mind me bragging (really I have nowhere else to brag this, without getting polite head nodding)
Weds 4 total included warmup 9x400m @ 2:08 with walking breaks in between and cool down
Thurs 2 mi @11:21, Yoga
Sat 8 mi @ 11:21
Sun Yoga and 5k walk

I am still waiting for said Jack Pajama's...

So This past week has been a horrible week. I knew it what was coming and I ignored it just like you are not suposed to do. IT Band pain. I do all of my running outside, and lots of it on roads that are often banked. That and I really needed new shoes, which is what I have decided caused my problem . Well I finally realized that I needed to give it a rest when it really started to hurt, and I didn't feel like shopping. So I haven't ran all week. Which I am trying to not freak myself out about. I have a 10k I am hoping to use as my POT for tink in Jan but have made peace with the idea of just finishing it no it stress. And I had a pipe freeze and break (burst?) It luckily did not cost too much to fix and hopefully my water bill will not be too high.

It hasn't been completely terrible, I just hate to get off schedule and want my entire life to have no problems whatsoever, is that too much to ask? :tongue:

I have gotten in the swing of things with my diet and feel good about that. I tried KT tape for the first time and like to think it has helped. And I bought some super cute leggings , the Deep Sea Ariel ones ,
th

Got in a new pair of saucony's shoes and am ready to get back to running, sooner rather than later I hope.

Sorry you're having a tough time. But I love the leggings and yay for new shoes! Hope your IT Band feels better on the next run. :)

Unfortunately, I ended up having to miss in total 13! eek !! days of running. I did do some long walks, and lots of foam rolling. My knee is feeling lots better though I wouldn't say 100% percent. But I did a super easy 4 miles today and it felt great to be out there and no pain! I just really need to focus on proper warming up, (which I hate to admit I skipped in the past ) and adding more strength training. I did a lot of reading running articles, and all of them say the closer you get to the masters bracket the more the little things really make a difference. I am not sure what to do about my 10k in mid January really. I am going to run it, as I figure no POT can't be worse than a slower then expected one. But I think I may make this more base training, then actively trying to get faster.

I have been cold, darn you el nino, the sun hasn't been out here as much as I am used to. Sometimes I really miss being able to go to a nice well outfitted gym. So I bought some brushed lined running tights, and a new long sleeve thick Underarmour coldgear top and they seemed to help me, I wasn't feeling so tight. This next week should be warmer, crossing my fingers.

Here are my tentative plans,
Sun: Walk 5k and Yoga
Mon: Easy 2
Tues: rest, maybe some Yoga
Weds: Easy 4
Thurs: Easy 2
Fri: Rest
Sat: Easy 5

Today the weather was just beautiful, I did a nice easy run. Anyway I found these leggings by Head active, and now am thinking of doing a cheshire cat inspired thing, though I bet between now and then I will think of lots of outfits, I wish I was signed up for more than one race so I wouldn't have to choose.
Christmas programs 015.JPG

I can't believe I haven't posted since the 21st?! Where does time go?

I have spent quite a bit of time reading all about the dopey Challenge, following along with those threads and am quite taken with the idea.Its funny I read here a whole lot more than I post, and it was so fun "seeing" people I have become familiar with finish. Though I have never been to WDW, I wonder if it would be too much all at once. Disneyland seems much easier, small as it is to me. I do wish that there was a marathon on the west coast but I suppose that do to the size of that resort most of it would be on the anaheim streets anyway.

Training has been all right. Though I am just not used or prepared for the awfully cold weather we have been having. I don't know how people can run where it is really cold. l just ordered a fleece ear warmer, and keep checking the forecasts like crazy for any signs of the weather returning to what I am used to.

Now that I am in my Mid-thirties, I feel Like every week something new kinda bothers me. Nothing serious, just little aches and pains. Today its my arch probably time to get more new shoes. I like to rotate a couple pairs, and one of them its getting pretty worn. And I love new shoes.

I have decided to try and do a 10K at the end of the month. I know I can finish it but will just have to adjust my expectations regarding time and pace due to missing a couple weeks and then having to cut back so it will not be as fast as I thought.

I did an easy 3Miles today,
Tues- Yoga
Weds- 4 mi (two at tempo-ish pace, honestly I will probably just see what I can manage by effort instead of sticking to any certain pace)
Thrus Easy 2
Fri- Off
Sat- Easy7

Not too bad week, and hopefully the Sun will be out.

I am still obsessed with reading about the dopey challenge! I so want to do it. I don't think there is anyway I could swing 2017 Dopey, with what I have currently planned. That would mean jumping on the 2018 bandwagon, and totally feels like a lifetime away. But it would give me lots of time to save for it

So I decided to flip my weds and Thu runs, because tomorrow I can run in the Sunny afternoon! It is finally getting close to our normal highs of around 60 here. It normally gets below freezing but heats up quickly. Recently it has just stayed cold. I am sure that we have really mild winters even when to me it is freezing but also it means that I am not really prepared for cold weather. My couple of space heaters are just not getting the job done unless I am sitting in front of it.

Anyway the Easy 2 run was fine today. Though I didn't find anything. I love to find things as I run, (mostly pocket change) and keep track of how much I find each year. I am pretty sure that this has been my unluckiest year so far as I only have found 7 cents.

Maybe I shall have more luck tomorrow..

The past couple of days the weather has been perfect! great for running. I really admire those that run in icy and snowy conditions. I just don't think I could manage it. I love reading others journals and am so impressed by people here on the board.

This past week has been pretty good for running and I think I am going to go forward and run the 10k on the 31st. My kjnee seems fine mostly I have absolutely no idea how fast I can do it, but I know I can at least finish it. I am not going to let myself get to stressed by it, and just do my best. I got a new waistpack thing that holds two water bottles, has a waterproof pouch for phones, and I just found out a place for a race bib! i love it and find it pretty comfortable, but will find out this sunday if I like it enough on long runs to take it racing with me. Tinkerbell seems awfully close now, when I signed up it seemed like ages away. I do like the medals though.

For the rest of this week here is the plan
Thu- 4 mi (warm, intervals 4x 800) cool
Fri- 2 easy
Sat off
Sun Long 8

Tink does seem closer! We're just about at the 3-month mark...

You will do awesomely at your 10K, I am sure of it! :)

thanks! I have never officially ran a 10k (just half's and 5's) so I keep telling myself it will be a PR no matter what.

I hope your back continues to improve!

Tink seems so scary close and it's weird because I'm so anxious about it even though I have two halfs before then! It's crazy.

I too am starting to be obsessed with Dopey I want to do it in 2018 so bad. Getting into it is going to be such a mess though. The medals are going to be amazing.

Tink seems so scary close and it's weird because I'm so anxious about it even though I have two halfs before then! It's crazy.

I too am starting to be obsessed with Dopey I want to do it in 2018 so bad. Getting into it is going to be such a mess though. The medals are going to be amazing.
I know, I'm starting to worry about a costume too. I'm thinking about adding a half at the end of March if all goes well, when are yours?

I think if I stay as into Dopey as I am now, I might just use a travel agent but I really trying not to spend too much time obsessing about it but it is so hard....

I know, I'm starting to worry about a costume too. I'm thinking about adding a half at the end of March if all goes well, when are yours?

I think if I stay as into Dopey as I am now, I might just use a travel agent but I really trying not to spend too much time obsessing about it but it is so hard....

I have one Feb 28th basically to keep me on track training wise. Then I'm doing Dark Side in April before Tink in May. I won't be 100% ready for Feb but it has a 6 hour limit so if I have to walk a mile in there it'll be okay.

I too have considered a TA for 2018 haha as well as doing the full in January next year. I have zero will or want to do a full marathon (I'd rather do an ultra) but here I am wanting to for disney.

I have one Feb 28th basically to keep me on track training wise. Then I'm doing Dark Side in April before Tink in May. I won't be 100% ready for Feb but it has a 6 hour limit so if I have to walk a mile in there it'll be okay.

I too have considered a TA for 2018 haha as well as doing the full in January next year. I have zero will or want to do a full marathon (I'd rather do an ultra) but here I am wanting to for disney.

So fun, to do the dark side! I just realized it was in your signature too. I really want to do a star wars disney run sometime, especially because I could throw together a han solo pretty easy. Do you like costumes?[/QUOTE]

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”

I love the movie Bridget Jones, and I love the above quote. Its in the actual book too, I believe. Its been a long time since I read that. And really its a bit melodramatic for my current situation. I just moved into my house in June. Its an small older adobe home, and I knew I would have some problems along the way. I just didn't think it would be so quick. So far I have already had to have the wiring fixed, roof leak, and Hot water tank thing leak. I had to take out the old pellet stove due to them using single wall piping and the small fact if filled my house with smoke. So it has been cold, as adobe keeps a pretty consistent temp, and was coupled with colder than normal winter I am lucky if if is in the low 50's, and my space heater just doesn't cut it. I can handle the cold (to me I do feel slightly guilty complaining about our weather with what is going on where they really have winter.) somewhat and it seems to be warming up. But now I have a plumbing problem too. Hopefully it won't be too much fix it but you just never know. The plumber called says is sounds like a vent is clogged sort of problem and I am ashamed to admit I didn't even know that the systems needed air to work properly. I have decided to stay at my parents until it gets taken care of. Sheepishly, it has been great. Heat! and CABLE! Neither of which I have. so yeah?I am really hoping it doesn't cost too much as I am still trying to get some outlets added to bedrooms (there are no outlets in the backs half of my house) but now that project is on the back burner.

But in terms of the part starts going ok, the past couple of weeks things were clicking. My knee and I seem to be on good terms, the sun has been shining, work has been ok. I have been seeing lots of birds, which i enjoy. Here is a kestrel I passed on my run the other day. They are one of my favorites. I tend to get really anxious about stuff and running really helps, spend some of my nervous energy. Well I have an easy two miles today . I need to shake a leg, maybe two and get going.

. schedule 023.JPG

So fun, to do the dark side! I just realized it was in your signature too. I really want to do a star wars disney run sometime, especially because I could throw together a han solo pretty easy. Do you like costumes?
[/QUOTE]

I haven't done one myself but o have talked others into them. Im considering a skirt combo for tink. How about you?

I haven't done one myself but o have talked others into them. Im considering a skirt combo for tink. How about you?[/QUOTE]
Well, I like the idea of one, but am leaning toward using some running clothes I have already so it will be more loosely inspired by outfit probably than a full on costume. Though if I ever run a 5k at disney, I would definitely consider something more elaborate.

I think the 5k are really the place for more elaborate fun things. I also like running in capris not shorts or skirts so that limits me a little.

Well today I woke up nervous and a little sad. Sad due to being overly excited by the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC and then to end on what can only be described as complete failure. On to next season I guess.

I'm a little nervous about my race this weekend, probably since I missed some training and it was a bit eratic in regards to pace etc. I know I can finish, but have no idea on where to expect my pace. I think I will start pretty conservatively and then just see what I have left for the last couple of miles. Also its in a part of Phx that I don't really know at all, so I tend to get anxious about that as well, like I will get lost and miss the start. Its way to early to be thinking like this. Maybe I am just too tired. At least My sister is coming with me on this trip, though I bet she will try to make me shop all day Saturday, when I shall want to just kick back and watch a movie or hang in the hotel.

My long run was pretty good, though I ended up starting too late in the day, and had to cut a mile off as I was supposed to leave to go to my Sisters for the debacle of the NFC championship. And while it was pretty cool, the Sun was bright and I realized I forgot to put sunblock on the back of my neck. Living in AZ most days i automatically put sun block on my face, front of my neck. I can't believe I forgot that part. I am too old to be getting sunburned and should know better. It is hard to remember when it is not hot, no the sun is still strong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!