Keep Moving Forward: A Training Log (Comments Welcome)

7 miles @ EB (9:06) this afternoon. I forgot to put my wedges in after my last run/before this run and I'm starting to feel a little achy in my ankles, shins and knees. Nothing terrible, but I was glad I was at an easy pace today. I put them in after today's run. I'm over at around 375 miles on these shoes and they're due to be replaced (heel striking means I burn out shoes a little faster than I'd like). My hope is to stretch them out another week or so, but I don't want to hurt myself by pushing it too long. We'll see...

Anyway, for all intents and purposes, the run felt pretty good, but I think my times were all over the place. Fastest mile was 8:50 and my slowest was 9:15. So, everything was close to or within range, but I feel like that took some effort. Tomorrow is 7 miles @ Long Run and a blind run. That should be interesting!

Today's Distance: 7 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:00/mile
Time: 1:03:04

Sunday runday. Seven miles @ Long Run (8:46/mile) with the extra fun caveat of being a blind run.

I'm guilty of checking my pace way too often, so it was nice to force myself to just focus on my run and my pace. I don't have to speed up or slow down whatever my last mile was, I can just run what feels right. It felt like it made for a more consistent run.

So, looking at my mile times, I think it actually went pretty well:
Mile 1 - 8:25
Mile 2 - 8:36
Mile 3 - 8:40
Mile 4 - 8:42
Mile 5 - 8:37
Mile 6 - 9:06
Mile 7 - 9:09

So, 4/7 were right within range, one was a little fast and two were a little slow. I averaged 8:45/mile for the whole run, so I guess I'm right around where I should be. Definitely had more in the tank and could've gotten those last to miles down a bit had I known I was slowing down, but that defeats the purpose of a blind run.

Less than six weeks until my marathon, which means only four more weeks of full on training and then two more weeks of training. That's only 20 workouts before tapering, which feels like nothing at all. Mentally, I feel like I'm in a good place. Health-wise, my legs and knees have been feeling a little achy. I'm going to try to stretch out the shoes another week (famous last words) and I think a new pair of shoes will address any pain. I'm feeling MUCH better at this point in my training than I did the last two marathons, so that's good. I have 17 miles in three weeks - my longest run of the training - I'll reassess how I'm feeling about things after that run.

Today's Distance: 7 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:45/mile
Time: 1:01:36
Miles this week: 26.2
Year to date: 360

Well done on the blind run!

I'm going to try to stretch out the shoes another week (famous last words)

I'd strongly consider otherwise. If you're starting to feel it, you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to save a few bucks. Think of the hundreds of miles of training otherwise that's put you in a great position to crush the marathon.

I'd strongly consider otherwise. If you're starting to feel it, you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to save a few bucks. Think of the hundreds of miles of training otherwise that's put you in a great position to crush the marathon.

Yeah. I’m sure you’re right. I’m really just trying to save money, but there’s really not much of a difference in buying shoes Monday versus next Saturday except increasing my risk for injury.

New plan: stopping by the running store on the way home from work tomorrow to pick up new shoes. Heavily learning toward replacing my Hokas with the same shoe.

Also, new journal title! I'd wanted to change it for a while, but didn't know you could until I *just* read it elsewhere in a thread. I think it's a more clever title (sorry, the writing itself will not get any more clever ;) )

Love the new name!

New plan: stopping by the running store on the way home from work tomorrow to pick up new shoes. Heavily learning toward replacing my Hokas with the same shoe.
I am not trying to take business away from local running stores, because I do love them! But if you are getting the exact same shoe and are budget conscious (aren't we all?), I would suggest looking online. I ordered a 2nd pair of my current shoes from running warehouse at a significant discount.

Love the new name!

I am not trying to take business away from local running stores, because I do love them! But if you are getting the exact same shoe and are budget conscious (aren't we all?), I would suggest looking online. I ordered a 2nd pair of my current shoes from running warehouse at a significant discount.

Good advice.

I picked up new shoes this afternoon (another pair of Hokas) and just in time, today's workout called for a pretty strenuous (for me) run. This afternoon I was scheduled to do a one mile warmup followed by eight Tempo (8:05/mile) miles and a half mile cool down.

I don't look too far ahead on my schedule, but I saw this run coming up a few days ago. Not going to lie, it felt a little intimidating. Also, I am a total wimp after it warms up and then the temperature drops again. It was in the 60s not too long ago and today it was overcast, about 40 and blustery. Hooray for first day of Spring ... :/

Anyway, the run ended up feeling really good. I warmed up after the first mile and the winds died down. I got into a pretty good groove in the middle miles, too. Not quite a blind run, but I definitely wasn't checking my pace very often. I just set the cruise control and went.

Splits:
Mile 1 - warm up
Mile 2 - 7:26
Mile 3 - 8:08
Mile 4 - 8:04
Mile 5 - 8:10
Mile 6 - 7:45
Mile 7 - 8:10
Mile 8 - 8:13
Mile 9 - 8:00

By my count, that's 6 of 8 miles within range. Not too shabby. I'm sure I'll be feeling it a bit tomorrow, but I'm really pleased with today's run.

Total Distance: 9.5 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:11/mile
Time: 1:17:50

I picked up new shoes this afternoon (another pair of Hokas) and just in time, today's workout called for a pretty strenuous (for me) run. This afternoon I was scheduled to do a one mile warmup followed by eight Tempo (8:05/mile) miles and a half mile cool down.

I don't look too far ahead on my schedule, but I saw this run coming up a few days ago. Not going to lie, it felt a little intimidating. Also, I am a total wimp after it warms up and then the temperature drops again. It was in the 60s not too long ago and today it was overcast, about 40 and blustery. Hooray for first day of Spring ... :/

Anyway, the run ended up feeling really good. I warmed up after the first mile and the winds died down. I got into a pretty good groove in the middle miles, too. Not quite a blind run, but I definitely wasn't checking my pace very often. I just set the cruise control and went.

Splits:
Mile 1 - warm up

By my count, that's 6 of 8 miles within range. Not too shabby. I'm sure I'll be feeling it a bit tomorrow, but I'm really pleased with today's run.

Very nice! Setting yourself up well.

Splits:
Mile 1 - warm up

Great work! It’s been so long since I’ve done a tempo run that the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies!:scared1: Definitely inspiring!::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!