A Sisters‘ Summer Sailing to Scandinavia - update: After Cruise Day 2: Tivoli

nodnol

DIS Veteran
Introduction: What, who, why

Hello! Welcome to this trip report about a cruise to Norway from June 6th to 13th 2015 on the Disney Magic – six months ago! Some might say „finally“, some might say „don’t bother anymore“, but I say: the timing is just right, at least we won’t torment you in the winter with pictures and tales of sunny beaches and delicious cocktails on tropical nights. You will be able to relate to our trip much better with sleet outside.

So, who are we? (in order of importance)

The travel journal

A gift from our terrific travel agent @brookelizabeth, about a quarter of it is filled with notes, the rest is full of blank pages. I agree, this doesn’t amount to much, but it also means I don’t have to rely completely on the pictures my sister took and on her excellent memory, which can memorize nearly everything indefinitely except Latin vocabulary. This was actually the first time ever that I kept on making notes after the fourth day of travel! So the journal is the reason, why I can write this TR at all.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The aforementioned sister @Flossbolna (in her own words and colour)

I am the person with the red jacket, not the ship!! The ship is called Magic, Disney Magic. So, we share an initial since my name starts with an M as well: Magdalene. Here on the boards I go by Flossbolna. I discovered cruising and especially Disney Cruise Line in 2013 and immediately fell in love with it! There are trip reports out there about my past cruising experiences together with my camera-shy boyfriend Michael because my sister demanded that those be written so that she would learn all about our trips. I love writing these trip reports, but sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed with how much work they are. So, when Katharina told me that she would write the trip report for this cruise, if I were the photographer, I was very excited!! I get to read a trip report about my own experiences!

Of the two sisters, I am definitely the bigger Mouse fan. And I am lucky that my boyfriend Michael has quite an interest in everything Disney as well. But we also love all other travel and are trying to get a good mix of Disney and non-Disney destinations.

IMG_0246.jpg

Her travel companion – me

The little sister, who as very happy to be taken on a cruise! My first cruise ever as an adult! I must admit, I was very nervous about me being on a ship with thousands of other people. As I live in Berlin, I prefer getting out of cities for vacation, as fascinating and entertaining their architecture, art, history and food might be. It’s just easier for me to relax somewhere not as similar to home as every big city in a way is. I like to hike and my ideal vacation is not necessarily very far away. I travel quite a lot as most of my family and friends live at least a three hour journey away (most of them more). As we are on the disboards, I guess I should mention that my first trip meeting the Mouse was in 1992 to Disneyland, while on a 6 week trip across the U.S. with my sister. Not everything and everyone American I met on this trip was enjoyable, but I was complete taken by surprise by Disneyland, I hadn’t expected anything like it and enjoyed it tremendously: the detailed theming, the high spirits, the rides…

My usual travel companion is my husband, who unfortunately is not so much into Disney parks, at least until we’ve won the lottery. He joined us for the last weekend of this trip in Copenhagen, the only one of us who hasn’t been there before. But as he won’t participate actively in this trip report, he won’t get a proper introduction.

IMG_1516.jpg

The why

We have been travelling together since high school, either with youth groups, on our own or with friends. We were always close and not only sisters but best friends, okay, maybe best friends after puberty, and enjoy travelling with someone with whom we share interests, taste, travel priorities (not that we don’t share any of those with our partners) and who most of the times instinctively understands as you can only understand someone with whom you have shared a bath tub when you were a kid. Because of the mentioned partners and residing in different parts of Germany, our outings have become a lot less frequent in the past years.

So it was high time to go on a longer trip together and as Flossbolna had discovered DCL she wanted to treat me to a very special trip for my birthday: a Disney cruise! Unfortunately it is not so easy for me to take vacation time in spring or autumn and in the summer I also wanted to travel with my husband. We pondered about a cruise in Europe or about flying to the U.S. and going on a cruise there, the dates of most of the European cruises that appealed to Flossbolna didn’t work but we were also hesitant about a transcontinental flight for only a week of vacation time. I suggested the Fjord cruise, as I have never been to Norway and was always fascinated by pictures of the nature of this country. So we checked and the dates seemed doable even with an attached weekend in Copenhagen, where we could reminiscent about our first Scandinavian holiday in the 1980s and about our fiasco biking holiday in the 1990s, when the tent drowned. And flights to Copenhagen are a lot cheaper than to the U.S.

And it was a great trip! (I’m sorry for the spoiler to those of you, who expected us to drown – again!) Thank you very much, dear sister, for sharing your enthusiasm for Disney and cruising with me! I enjoyed it enormously, still reminisce about it. When is our next trip??? Oh, I hope soon!!

So that’s my (short) story, Flossbolna can elaborate…

I was really not so sure about booking this cruise at all in the beginning! We booked the cruise in March 2014, which was between my first and second cruise. One thing I had loved about my first cruise, a 5-night cruise on the Wonder out of Miami to Cozumel and Castaway Cay, was the warm weather, the tropical beaches and watching the blue seas from the open decks. My idea of a cruise to Norway was that we would be cold and miserable and that this would really diminish the whole cruising experience. If we would do a European cruise, I had thought that we would do a 7-night cruise in the Mediterranean or possible a repositioning cruise between Dover and Barcelona. I was not thinking Scandinavia.

Just to give you some perspective: our southernmost port in Norway would be Bergen, which is at a latitude of 60° 23’ North. If you would go on an Alaska cruise, the northernmost port would be Skagway, which is at 59° 29’ North. Yes, there is a difference between Norway (actually all of Western Europe) and Western North America called Gulf Stream (warm water coming across the Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico), which makes anything in Europe slightly less freezing cold than it should be according to its latitudinal location. Still, Norway is not where you go to get a nice tan and lie at the pool! It’s the place where frozen things don’t have to wonder what they do in summer… They stay frozen! ;-)

Anyway, Katharina was keen on the Norway cruise, I wasn’t. But it seemed a sensible choice, so I started to look more into where we would actually go. And then I checked out the different ports and started to Ohhh and Ahhh. Those places looked amazing. Maybe I could indeed compromise on the weather… And soon enough I was just really excited about our choice! The Disney geek in me was additionally excited that this would be an “inaugural” sailing as no Disney ship had ever gone to Norway and we would be on the first Norwegian cruise ever!

Next: Cast off! minus 2 days – The first travel day for one of us

Last edited:
Table of contents

Cast off! minus 2 days – Travel day for one of us - pg. 1

Last edited:
So happy that you finally started!! And of course, I love the introduction since I am the co-author! :goodvibes

Looking forward to hearing your report, we are cruising to Norway in May 2016 from Dover to Dover...ideal for us being based in the UK.

Checking in. I am looking forward to reading all about this. A Norwegian Fjord cruise is definitely on our to do list.

Corinna

I am definitely on board for this one.

Since I am using up ALL my DVC (banked and borrowed) for our 2016 vacation a Norway cruise (Disney or not) might be in store for us in 2017.

I'm in. Will read later!

ETA: Nice introductions! I am looking forward to hearing about Norway and getting to know Katharina as well! :goodvibes

Last edited:
So glad to see this TR started! I have been looking forward to reading all about the Norway cruise.

I am here and enjoyed the introductions. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 Look forward to hearing all about it.

IMG_0246.jpg

of us who hasn’t been there before. But as he won’t participate actively in this trip report, he won’t get a proper introduction.

IMG_1516.jpg

The why

We have been travelling together since high school, either with youth groups, on our own or with friends. We were always close and not only sisters but best friends, okay, maybe best friends after puberty, and enjoy travelling with someone with whom we share interests, taste, travel priorities (not that we don’t share any of those with our partners) and who most of the times instinctively understands as you can only understand someone with whom you have shared a bath tub when you were a kid. Because of the mentioned partners and residing in different parts of Germany, our outings have become a lot less frequent in the past years.

So it was high time to go on a longer trip together and as Flossbolna had discovered DCL she wanted to treat me to a very special trip for my birthday: a Disney cruise! Unfortunately it is not so easy for me to take vacation time in spring or autumn and in the summer I also wanted to travel with my husband. We pondered about a cruise in Europe or about flying to the U.S. and going on a cruise there, the dates of most of the European cruises that appealed to Flossbolna didn’t work but we were also hesitant about a transcontinental flight for only a week of vacation time. I suggested the Fjord cruise, as I have never been to Norway and was always fascinated by pictures of the nature of this country. So we checked and the dates seemed doable even with an attached weekend in Copenhagen, where we could reminiscent about our first Scandinavian holiday in the 1980s and about our fiasco biking holiday in the 1990s, when the tent drowned. And flights to Copenhagen are a lot cheaper than to the U.S.

And it was a great trip! (I’m sorry for the spoiler to those of you, who expected us to drown – again!) Thank you very much, dear sister, for sharing your enthusiasm for Disney and cruising with me! I enjoyed it enormously, still reminisce about it. When is our next trip??? Oh, I hope soon!!

So that’s my (short) story, Flossbolna can elaborate…

I was really not so sure about booking this cruise at all in the beginning! We booked the cruise in March 2014, which was between my first and second cruise. One thing I had loved about my first cruise, a 5-night cruise on the Wonder out of Miami to Cozumel and Castaway Cay, was the warm weather, the tropical beaches and watching the blue seas from the open decks. My idea of a cruise to Norway was that we would be cold and miserable and that this would really diminish the whole cruising experience. If we would do a European cruise, I had thought that we would do a 7-night cruise in the Mediterranean or possible a repositioning cruise between Dover and Barcelona. I was not thinking Scandinavia.

Just to give you some perspective: our southernmost port in Norway would be Bergen, which is at a latitude of 60° 23’ North. If you would go on an Alaska cruise, the northernmost port would be Skagway, which is at 59° 29’ North. Yes, there is a difference between Norway (actually all of Western Europe) and Western North America called Gulf Stream (warm water coming across the Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico), which makes anything in Europe slightly less freezing cold than it should be according to its latitudinal location. Still, Norway is not where you go to get a nice tan and lie at the pool! It’s the place where frozen things don’t have to wonder what they do in summer… They stay frozen! ;-)

Anyway, Katharina was keen on the Norway cruise, I wasn’t. But it seemed a sensible choice, so I started to look more into where we would actually go. And then I checked out the different ports and started to Ohhh and Ahhh. Those places looked amazing. Maybe I could indeed compromise on the weather… And soon enough I was just really excited about our choice! The Disney geek in me was additionally excited that this would be an “inaugural” sailing as no Disney ship had ever gone to Norway and we would be on the first Norwegian cruise ever!

Next: Cast off! minus 2 days – The first travel day for one of us[/QUOTE]
Checking in. I am looking forward to reading all about this. A Norwegian Fjord cruise is definitely on our to do list.

Corinna

Hi Katharina! I'm looking forward to reading about all of your adventures in Norway. Just make sure Magdalene behaves, ok?

Yay! I get to relive our Norway cruise! Can't to read about your experiences.

Looking forward to hearing your report, we are cruising to Norway in May 2016 from Dover to Dover...ideal for us being based in the UK.

:welcome: Norway in May ... I hope you plan on taking hats and mittens!

Corinna

:welcome: I do hope Magdalene will deliver all the useful info on cruising to Norway, as she is really good at that.

I'm in. Will read later!

ETA: Nice introductions! I am looking forward to hearing about Norway and getting to know Katharina as well! :goodvibes

:welcome: Sorry, I'm such a lurker on other people's reports...

So glad to see this TR started! I have been looking forward to reading all about the Norway cruise.

:welcome: I'm glad you didn't give up!

I am here and enjoyed the introductions. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 Look forward to hearing all about it.

:welcome: Pat! I should get back to your report as well.

Subbing and going back to read

:welcome:

All caught up and anxious to hear more !!!

I'm sorry that this TR will move very slowly. The next instalment is already written.. But right now I'm posting from my iPad on a business trip. But I plan on posting it on the weekend and then I have only two more days at work before I have nearly two weeks vacation.

Hi Katharina! I'm looking forward to reading about all of your adventures in Norway. Just make sure Magdalene behaves, ok?

:welcome: She's the elder one who is supposed to look after me!

Joining in. Can't wait to hear all about Norway. What a wonderful gift!

:welcome: I have a wonderful sister!

Following!

:welcome:

Hi Katharina!

Following along! Can't wait! :)

:welcome: Hi Wendy!

Yay! I get to relive our Norway cruise! Can't to read about your experiences.

:welcome: I still need to read your report! I managed to read until Stavanger and became much to busy to spend time on the Disboards...

Cast off! minus 2 days – Travel day for one of us

Only @Flossbolna travelled today, I had to go to work, so I let her tell you all about it:

I am the lucky one who was on vacation one day earlier than Katharina. The reason for that was that Bavaria is a very Catholic state and therefore the Feast of Corpus Christi, an important Catholic holiday, is a public holiday. Very conveniently it is always a Thursday in late May or early June and perfect for a long weekend.

When planning the trip we knew that we wanted to arrive in Copenhagen the day before. And looking at flights and trains, there was no way that I would be able to get there from Nuremberg at a time when we would still be able to actually see something of Copenhagen on the day before our departure.

We both have been in Copenhagen a few times, I more often than Katharina. Especially since I was an exchange student in Denmark for a year in 1989/90. I lived with a Danish family about one hour by train from Copenhagen and went to school in Denmark. It was a wonderful adventure! I also used to be quite fluent in Danish, but lost quite a bit of that. But we both had not been in Copenhagen for quite some time and were really looking forward to enjoying the wonderful city again. So flying in, going to bed and then boarding the ship did not appeal to us.

The solution was to take the train from Nuremberg to Berlin, stay with Katharina and then fly from Berlin to Copenhagen the next day in the morning. It actually worked out about the same price as flights would have been.

So, the plan was that I take a late morning train from Nuremberg, enjoy the train ride and then arrive in Berlin in the late afternoon when Katharina hopefully would be able to get off from work a little early.

It all started well enough.

IMG_1499.jpg

(Yes, this is my Duffy reading a Copenhagen guide book…)

According to my first text just after the train departed I told her that I was settled in, the train was quite full with a large group, including some crying babies. However, those did not turn out to be the problem…

About 3 hours into the 5 hour journey, the train stopped out in the open area. Never a good sign. The train conductor came on the speaker system and announced that there was an issue with the electricity. Not good!! After a very short while, the train started to move again, but the conductor came on again and now explained fully what was happening: At some station ahead of us there was a power failure and that meant that no train could go through. I was relieved to hear that it was not the electricity for the train that was an issue as that would have affected the air conditioning system and such inside the train. But since this was going to take quite some time to be sorted out, they were pulling us into the tiny station a little up the line that normally is only used for local trains. We were expected to be there for at least one hour, but this way, we would be able to leave the train and get some fresh air – well and all the smokers would be able to get a cigarette…

It was really a pleasant day and a lot of people left the train to hang out in the wonderful sunshine:

IMG_1501.jpg

At some point they went through the train distributing free water bottles or juice boxes. But nothing was happening for a long time… After one and a half hours we started to move again. First very slowly as the train could had to drive on sight. Then we started to pick up speed.

And then I got a text from Katharina stating: “URLAUB” (vacation) and I replied: “LEIPZIG” (the town which is one hour by train from Berlin). I think I was never as happy to arrive in Leipzig as I was on that occasion. I finally made it to Berlin with nearly 2 hours of delay… At least they refunded some of my ticket.

And I was hoping that this would not be an indication of what kind of difficulties we might still experience. Katharina kind of attracts bad travel luck…

I wish I could tell you what we did this evening besides me watching my sister while she was packing. I think we might have gone to their favourite Greek restaurant. If we did, it certainly was delicious. It always is.

I have no recollection either, your theory is quite feasible. My trip notes start with the next morning… I'll be able to contribute more...

Next: Cast off! minus 1 day – Travel day + complicated Danish trash cans

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!