A question for parents of a disabled child/young adult

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or not so I posted it on the Community Board first.

My DD will be 18yo in July and with that, there come a lot of changes that we need to make. We know that we need to file for guardianship but can't do that with the court until after her birthday. That alone is enough with trying to get someone to "serve" her with notice, doctor appointment to fill out paperwork saying that she can't care for herself, "serving" our adult DD's in case they want to fight us for guardianship (they're not but the court says we have to do it)...

I'm also trying to find out about other programs for her but it's impossible to get to speak to anyone. Everything is automated. I need to find out if and when we can apply for SSI on her behalf and if there are any other programs that she will qualify for. She has never been on SSI because of parent income/assets but recently was chosen for a waiver in our state and gets some respite care and Medicaid (All Kids in IL). She will continue to be covered under DH's insurance with his union and Medicaid will still be the second payer.

Has anyone gone this road and is willing to help?

Thanks!

I'm a person with a disability and I work for an agency that provides services for people with disabilities. I attended a training on benefits and legal issues today. The presenter stated that you should wait until your daughter turns 18 to apply for SSI this way your income won't be considered hers. Social Security considers a child emancipated at 18 whether they live at home or not. If your daughter has any assets like savings bonds you should cash them in.

Interesting to find this posting today since we just started thinking about the same issue for our son. He has Asperger's and will be 17 in July. We had his triennial IEP meeting yesterday. In going over some of the test results, we started thinking more seriously about whether we'll need to file at least a partial conservatorship when he turns 18 next year. His IQ and cognitive scores are in the average to high-average range. No problem there. However, some of his social and pragmatic areas are as high as a 14 1/2 year old, some are as low as a 9-year old.

We were advised by his school staff to consult an attorney. I think I found a good one through a referral. We will at least talk to her and see what she recommends going forward. Our son could very well mature enough to handle his own finances and affairs. Or, we may need to continue to guide him for many years. It's such a hard thing to go through.

Sorry I can't help with your questions, but just wanted to say good luck!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter