A question for DLR regulars...

lntsmom

<font color=teal>Soarin' is addictive!<br><font co
Compare attendance in May '05 with what you expect it to be like in July of '07.

I was planning to take my boys to WDW at the end of May next year. Now my older ds tells me that he MUST attend summer school next year so he'll learn all the Middle School routines and not look like a dork the first week of 6th grade. Sigh. How in the heck did I raise a kid who would rather attend summer school than take a trip to WDW?

Summer school ends before the 4th of July. I am not crazy enough to book a trip to Orlando in the month of July. I can stay home and be miserable due to the heat and humidity, lol!!!

So, now I am dithering. I have 3 options. DLR in July or either resort the week of Christmas.

Yeah, I know. Has anyone here been to both DLR and WDW over Christmas week? How would you compare the crowds? I've never considered a winter trip before, so I don't know where to begin!

The July option would work. The boys would like to go back to the beach...something we wouldn't be able to do in Florida. My concern is that the cost of DLR in July seems to be considerably higher than in May...as in, HoJos rooms are double what I paid last year.

Any input on this??? I'd almost rather wait for December and stay at Movies at WDW, considering it would cost 1/3 less than what I'm seeing at HoJos.

Sigh. Kids.

TIA!

I have been to DLR in December several times and it's pretty crowded, even during the week. I love DL at Christmastime though and never miss it. All the decor etc...It "snows" on mainstreet and it's beautiful. For us so. cal people who don't get snow, fake snow for our kids is amazing!

I have only been to WDW in May. The crowds were always light. In comparison to Christmas, December will be ALOT more crowded at either place, I'm sure.

Look at it this way...If you come to So. Cal in December you may get 70's and perfect weather or you could get rain that would damper your whole trip, but you do get the thrill of the Christmas decor etc.

If you book in July, it will be HOT guaranteed and the crowds will be high and so will prices.

Factor how important nice weather is into your desires. Like I said, it could be gorgeous the whole week or it could rain...With a December booking you take your chances here. I have lived in Cali for 10 years and I can only remember crappy weather on Christmas a handful of times.

Well of course a crowded day at any Disney park is better than a day at home. That said, I have been to WDW the week of Christmas and it was indeed crowded. However, with four parks, the water parks and so many resorts to tour, there is a lot of room to spread out in. Personally, for me, I prefer WDW when crowds are intense, I think it handles them better. I have never been to Disneyland Christmas week but I have at other times that were crowded but less crowded and it was not easy to navigate. Wait times weren't that big of a deal, I expect that but getting through the walkways was a nightmare, far worse than anything I have experienced at WDW at any time of year. That doesn't mean I think WDW is better in general, just that it handles crowds better! I can also tell you that WDW has some nice things at the holidays like the many resorts (20 in all) that all have beautiful decorations at the holidays. One evening we simply toured all of the monorail resorts which was a treat in itself. Also, WDW has so many dining options that make for a lot of fun (and escape from the crowds). They also have the Candlelight Processional at Epcot which might interest you.

And I agree with you that the weather in Anaheim in July would be far preferable to the weather in Orlando in July! So if July is your best bet, then yeah, even with high crowds at both, I'd still pick Disneyland! Good luck with whatever you decide upon!

lol...is Colorado! This year we're headed your way, Amy! I remember last year you did DLR just before us, didn't you??? If I remember right, you sent my boys the postcard!

Not that DLR isn't fun, but I'm glad to be heading home this year! We're going to spend most of our time around Canon City...my boys are city kids and I want to take them up Oak Creek grade to Westcliffe and up High Park Road to Cripple Creek. They won't know what to think, lol!

I am playing it by ear, but I hope to end our trip up your way so we can catch a Rockies game. I was REALLY hoping to find a great concert at Red Rocks, but the last I checked there wasn't any family stuff going on while we'll be there!

Thanks for your input. I kind of guessed the information about WDW...figuring that with Park Hoppers people would have more options than they do at DLR. The idea of touring the hotels would be great! Last time we did the loop through the Contemporary, but that was it! I might do some looking this year to get ideas of where to book meals, etc. I'm guessing they'll start booking soon if they haven't already! Gotta plan ahead when it's Disney!

Julie, thanks for the reminder about your weather! It made me realize the two choices are really July there or December in WDW. My boys would be heartbroken to go to California and not get to spend at least a day at the beach!

Thank you for the input! This is the best board!

I have sent various kids postcards before, I am ashamed to say I can't remember if yours were some of them or not! I will also tell you that if you go to DL or WDW staying onsite and getting EE at Disneyland each day its offered, and EMH at WDW is really nice. Extra hours (regardless of what they are called) at either park during that kind of crowd factor is a must. At WDW it gets cheaper because you have the values and mods which are way cheaper than any of the three DLR onsite choices. Another thing at WDW that is really fun at the holidays is the Osborne Family Lights at MGM Studios. The Poly and GF have incredible Christmas decorations as does the Contemporary. They all have these giant gingerbread houses. So did Animal Kingdom Lodge. I have been to Disneyland during Christmas (not Christmas week however) and the parks were beautiful but the hotels weren't as decorated as I thought they would be.

Oh and for what its worth, be glad you aren't in Colorado right now, this July, we have been rainy for quite awhile which is good for our drought but not so good for tourists!

Again good luck with your choice, don't you wish all of life's choices were this much fun to ponder? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter