A question about villa locations at DVC resorts

DannyDisneyFreak

Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
I Plan on renting and eventually purchasing DVC points, I know a bit about DVC resorts but I just thought of something I never really realized. As far as I'm aware the DVC portions of the resorts are set away from the general rooms, does this make it somewhat of an inconvenience being farther away from the food areas, pools, bus stops, etc.? I'm used to being able to purchase preferred location at the value and mods. I like being close to everything and minimize walking. What should someone who is unfamiliar with the resorts keep in mind when booking in regards to location and accessibility? Are there certain resorts that are closer to amenities than others?

First, both BWV and AKV Jambo are melded with the hotel portion of the resort. BWV and BWI share the same lobby with BWV on one side and BWI on the other, the main pool and main store are actually on the BWV side, and the resrtaurants and stores are along the boardwalk which runs past both BWI and BWV. AKV Jambo is simply the fifth, and for club level the sixth, floor of Jambo, the original Animal Kingdom Lodge building. Also AKV Kidani itself has a store, restaurant, bar, bus stop, and main pool.

SSR and OKW are stand-alone resorts that have many buildings and the areas are spread out so there cen be some hefty walking to restaurant and main pools.

For the others, it is a fairly short walk to the hotel amenities and thus it should not be considered a major issue. BLT even has its own skybridge for that walk to Cont that takes you to the floor at Cont where the main stores and Chef Mickey's are.

I Plan on renting and eventually purchasing DVC points, I know a bit about DVC resorts but I just thought of something I never really realized. As far as I'm aware the DVC portions of the resorts are set away from the general rooms, does this make it somewhat of an inconvenience being farther away from the food areas, pools, bus stops, etc.? I'm used to being able to purchase preferred location at the value and mods. I like being close to everything and minimize walking. What should someone who is unfamiliar with the resorts keep in mind when booking in regards to location and accessibility? Are there certain resorts that are closer to amenities than others?
It really varies with the resort. Other than AKV Jambo, I don't think any of the DVC resorts will meet the criteria you've mentioned. Just investigate the resorts so you'll know what to expect.

At OKW, you can book "near HH" which means you'll be in the section closest to the main pool, restaurant, etc. At SSR you can request the Springs area that would put you near the Springs pool, restaurant, etc.

In the other resorts, you can always do your research to determine which area to request to be nearest the amenities. Yes, some are more removed than others, but often that is a good thing since it is quieter and more relaxed.

The add-on resorts, which would be existing resorts that had DVC added to them later on are, BCV, VWL, BLT and VGF. So yes at these locations some amenities are not as close to the DVC sections as the non-DVC sections. Kidani Village was added to AKL, after but has it's only lobby, store, pool and restaurant but not quick service.

This difference applies more to main desk check in and restaurants. As all have pools near them.

As to the others, it is more about size and location of the actual room as to what you are close to. You can request, but never guarantee a location.

So as Dean said, it really varies from resort to resort.

For example at VWL, you are further from the boat in the villas but closer to the buses.

There are maps online of all the resorts, that would show you were everything is located.

The other posters have given you sound advice and tips, all of which I echo. However, it struck me you said you'd be renting points first which is a good idea before purchasing. When you do, it would be a superb idea to spend part(s) of a day(s) to make a quick trip to as many of the DVC resorts as you find possible. There is nothing like first-hand impressions to help guide your decision a) whether to purchase and b) where to purchase if you opt to buy in to DVC. If nothing else, visiting a few might help you narrow down your selection should you wind up purchasing DVC. Good luck. ;)

The other posters have given you sound advice and tips, all of which I echo. However, it struck me you said you'd be renting points first which is a good idea before purchasing. When you do, it would be a superb idea to spend part(s) of a day(s) to make a quick trip to as many of the DVC resorts as you find possible. There is nothing like first-hand impressions to help guide your decision a) whether to purchase and b) where to purchase if you opt to buy in to DVC. If nothing else, visiting a few might help you narrow down your selection should you wind up purchasing DVC. Good luck. ;)
Yes that is good advice thank you! The biggest debate is should I buy direct or resale, I got a call from Disney and they of course are going to tell you direct is better, the lady was hard core trying to convince me not to wait and to buy into VGF. I'm pretty sure if I buy direct I would want to get in at Poly when they open in 2015 or 16, I would much rather own there. I would not be ready financially until at least that time anyway. I would like to rent points at least once before, it is a great idea to tour the DVC resorts, I will make sure to set a day aside for that. Does Disney to DVC tours?

They do tours of models at SSR, but I'd advise that you actually go to the different resorts and ask a CM if there is a room you could peek at. Most of the resorts are right near the pools--at VGF for example, there is a pool, beach, and child water area all closer to the villas than the hotel, really. With an amazing pool bar. While you do feel a little off the beaten path, it's sort of a peaceful secluded feel. I'd definitely suggest renting before you take the plunge. As to direct or resale, only you can choose that. You do get about double the points for the money doing resale--but double the points equal double the dues, and dues are 80-90% of the cost over the term of your ownership.

Something to consider--BLT and BC are actually closer to the parks than their hotel equivalent.

The best advice I can give is to stay for a night or at the very least, thoroughly explore all the resorts you are considering. My first purchase was at a resort I'd stayed at and thought I loved. Then we stayed at AKV. There was no looking back. I sold my first contract and luckily made a small profit even after commissions and fees. Now we have two small contracts one at VWL and one at AKV. Originally, we thought BWV and OKW were our resorts of choice. We were wrong.

I would recommend staying at least 2 nights at each resort to get a feel for it. Makes a huge difference!!!! Thought I would love BCV, and Boardwalk but they seemed stuffy and small when we stayed. Loved AKV, OKW and GFV for the room and ease of transportation.

...Something to consider--BLT and BC are actually closer to the parks than their hotel equivalent.

Actually, there are BC rooms that are closer to Epcot than all the BCV villas.

BWV are closer to DHS than BWI. But BWI are closer to Epcot than BWV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter