A maybe solo trip in August--WE ARE BACK 08/10

quandrea

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I've been knocking the idea of a trip with my best friend in August for three nights. Problem is, I can't reach her until June 24 because she is teaching in the far north and does not have phone or Internet service.

Now I'm wondering if I should just book everything and go on my own even if she can't come. It would be three nights, four days. I've never been away from my kids (7, 7 and 13) or hubby for a solo trip. It's over a holiday weekend and I'm sure dd could take care of the twins during the workday on Friday.

I have a four day pass in my drawer, a coupon for air that would put my flight at $400 cad and points to spare.

What are your thoughts? Book and go regardless or sit tight and see if friend can come? I'm going mid October if that adds anything to the discussion.

My options are to book now on points, book once I find out if she can come and hope rooms are available on points or book a room through CR and pay cash (flexibility is the plus in this scenario).

Really not sure what to do.

Can you cancel and bank if she can't come?

:earsboy: Bill
No. I'd be borrowing points. If she couldn't come, I'd have to go alone. That's why I've been looking at a cash reservation. You are always a voice of reason, Bill. I should probably wait on everything until I can reach her.

No. I'd be borrowing points. If she couldn't come, I'd have to go alone. That's why I've been looking at a cash reservation. You are always a voice of reason, Bill. I should probably wait on everything until I can reach her.

Would you enjoy alone time or do you like friend time? "I'd have to go alone" sounds like you should wait to reach her or wait and use the points for a future stay.

Would you enjoy alone time or do you like friend time? "I'd have to go alone" sounds like you should wait to reach her or wait and use the points for a future stay.

I'd enjoy the time on my own but if travelling with a friend I'd probably feel less guilty about leaving the family at home. Silly I know. A trip to Disney is always good. My family would have no interest because of the heat. Flight pricing is up this morning unfortunately.

Solo trips can be very fun. They are completely different. I am the planner aka tour guide normally. When i go for my solo trip usually like 4 days i feel totally free. I can be out of hotel in 15 min. Not 60 minute production.....i ride the scary rides and eat at places that don't serve chicken nuggets or pizza. There is no crazy itinaray to include everyone's must dos.
midday naps can be done without a fight. And late magic hours without tantrums. That said i do have to budget extra for the guilt induced souvineers i bring bsck because i am at wdw without them

Solo trips can be very fun. They are completely different. I am the planner aka tour guide normally. When i go for my solo trip usually like 4 days i feel totally free. I can be out of hotel in 15 min. Not 60 minute production.....i ride the scary rides and eat at places that don't serve chicken nuggets or pizza. There is no crazy itinaray to include everyone's must dos.
midday naps can be done without a fight. And late magic hours without tantrums. That said i do have to budget extra for the guilt induced souvineers i bring bsck because i am at wdw without them
Floated the idea with my kids today. 7, 7 and 13. My 7 yo daughter said, "Why would you want to do that?"

I'd love for my friend to come, and that's how all this started. But part of me thinks I should just book now. If she can come, great, but if she can't, what's wrong with going alone?

And you're right about getting things done fast. That would be fun!

I homeschool and am with my kids 24/7. A few days off might be good.

I homeschool and am with my kids 24/7. A few days off might be good.
Once you threw in this tid bit i say book!! -- if your friend can come great, if not then a few days of alone time would be a welcomed treat. You could have a very relaxing time. I will have to say sometimes being without the family you almost feel lonely. You are so used to the hustle of being home with the kids- you almost don't know what to do with yourself with out them. I don't home school, but have twins 11yo and a 4 yo. The very few rare occasions when i am alone -- thing just seem odd. Strangely enough you become accustom to the chaos.

I guess the necessary questions are -- will you need these points?
Do you have the funds to spend on the flight?
Will you really enjoy it on your own? take advantage of going shopping, spa, roaming the parks not worrying about anyone but yourself.

If you are on the fence on an alone trip then just wait until the 24th until you can talk to your friend -- it could be possible they may not want to go in the heat and humidity of the summer either.

Once you threw in this tid bit i say book!! -- if your friend can come great, if not then a few days of alone time would be a welcomed treat. You could have a very relaxing time. I will have to say sometimes being without the family you almost feel lonely. You are so used to the hustle of being home with the kids- you almost don't know what to do with yourself with out them. I don't home school, but have twins 11yo and a 4 yo. The very few rare occasions when i am alone -- thing just seem odd. Strangely enough you become accustom to the chaos.

I guess the necessary questions are -- will you need these points?
Do you have the funds to spend on the flight?
Will you really enjoy it on your own? take advantage of going shopping, spa, roaming the parks not worrying about anyone but yourself.

If you are on the fence on an alone trip then just wait until the 24th until you can talk to your friend -- it could be possible they may not want to go in the heat and humidity of the summer either.
Nice post! I've got the points. Have the funds for air. I think I'd enjoy the parks on my own--heat doesn't bother me, whereas my whole family can't take it--dh is actually anaphylactic to heat and I suspect dd is too. Wouldn't shop or do the spa, but I would swim, walk and take in the sights.

I did a solo trip last Oct and I had a great time. I skyped everynight with DH before bed as a way to keep in touch. I was having such a great time I decided to stay an extra night making it a 4 day trip. Thankfully I booked my airfare with Southwest so I could change my ticket with out a penalty. The flight price was the same so it was a no brainer to stay another day. Go you will be at Disney and have fun weather your friend joins you or not.

So if I go, question is SSR, OKW, AK or the Poly? SSR is my first thought--low points, walk to DS. But Poly beckons....

So if I go, question is SSR, OKW, AK or the Poly? SSR is my first thought--low points, walk to DS. But Poly beckons....
If you are looking for uniqueness then i think Poly and AK fit the bill. With it just being a solo trip i would possibly consider a split between PVB and AK. I guess it ultimately depends on what is available when you go to book. I could see AK being a good fit it you wanted some relaxation time with viewing the animals. AK would be lower points than Poly -if saving points is important.

If you are looking for uniqueness then i think Poly and AK fit the bill. With it just being a solo trip i would possibly consider a split between PVB and AK. I guess it ultimately depends on what is available when you go to book. I could see AK being a good fit it you wanted some relaxation time with viewing the animals. AK would be lower points than Poly -if saving points is important.
Savin points is always important! By chance I heard from my friend yesterday. She asked if we can decide once she is home on June 24. I think I'll wait til then. It will be a last minute trip if it happens, but I think I'd rather go with her. Seems silly to take off alone if I have twelve nights planned in October.

So dh and I chatted about this. He suggested that I bring along dd thirteen. My friend can't commit until she gets home (heard from her via email. She had rare access). So I booked two nights at the Poly and one night at BWV. My friend may still come along if finances allow, but now I can go and enjoy some time with my daughter. Dh will be home with the twins!:scared1::scared1:

I love mother/daughter trips! My girls are older...DD24 and DD21...but it is so so much fun! Doing on in 3 weeks with DD21!!!

I love mother/daughter trips! My girls are older...DD24 and DD21...but it is so so much fun! Doing on in 3 weeks with DD21!!!
I think it will be really special. I don't think my friend will come--money is tight. Time with dd will be lovely. It will be a real treat to stay at the Poly and BWV. Planning the Twilight Feast for Ohana in the room, Dole Whips, Sushi at Kona Island. Going to get our APs squared away for the October trip too!

I think it will be really special. I don't think my friend will come--money is tight. Time with dd will be lovely. It will be a real treat to stay at the Poly and BWV. Planning the Twilight Feast for Ohana in the room, Dole Whips, Sushi at Kona Island. Going to get our APs squared away for the October trip too!

This sounds wonderful! So glad it will work out either way.

Awesome!! so glad you are getting away for some R&R. I think taking your daughter will be a great experience for both of you. Coming from a family with twins, sometimes it is the singleton who gets lost in the shuffle. Especially because she i older I would imagine she has been very involved with helping to care and watch the twins when they were little.

Awesome!! so glad you are getting away for some R&R. I think taking your daughter will be a great experience for both of you. Coming from a family with twins, sometimes it is the singleton who gets lost in the shuffle. Especially because she i older I would imagine she has been very involved with helping to care and watch the twins when they were little.
She is wonderful and deserves this trip. She is a great help although I try to be careful not to let her mother them. I hope I succeed at that. She has had a wonderful year with school, swimming and lifeguarding. The trip is well earned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!