A Little disABLED Humor from Our Last Trip

Escape2Disney

Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!
I thought someone here might get the humor in this story....

We just got back from a long trip to Disneyland (8 days in the parks). I travel with a scooter and a service dog, so I'm not exactly inconspicuous.

We fielded questions about the dog gracefully, and met a lot of nice people. Sure, there were a few idiots who would grab at the dog or try to pull his attention away, but thankfully not too many.

There were others though that were a little rude. The 'theme' this year was for them to 1) stand over me with their friends and talk loudly about me and the dog like we weren't there or (my favorite) 2) come up behind me and yell in my ear - usually "WHAT'S THAT DOG FOR???"

No big deal though...I know it's not all that commonplace to see a dog in Disneyland.

Then there was the mom 'teaching' her kids about us. This lady followed us down main street, through adventureland, and into New Orleans and talked loudly about us to her kids for at least 20 minutes. I applauded her attempts to inform her kids, but a lot of what she said was assumption and flat-out wrong. When we stopped in NOS, I considered politely correcting her, until.....

She got about 5 feet from my face, pointed, and yelled "SEE KIDS, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! THE GUIDE DOG HELPS THE BLIND LADY DRIVE THE SCOOTER." :lmao:

DD and I couldn't stop laughing long enough to correct her. That's one talented dog to help a blind person drive!

Honestly it just goes to show that the biggest problem is mis-information and assumptions.

:rotfl:

Sadly this is not the first time I've heard a story like this. At the store I work at, I watched a man in a wheelchair with a service dog try to explain to a couple of children that because he couldn't move around very well, the dog helped him open doors and pick things up off the floor, etc. The mom of said kids goes "See kids? This man can't see when there's a door or where he drops something, but the dog can so it gets it for him!" The man goes "I can see, you're wearing a blue shirt and jeans, you have blonde hair..." She goes "Oh you must be one of those blinds that can sense the colors! Come on kids let's stop bothering this guy and let him get on his way" The kids just stared at her, and I'm about 5 feet away trying not to burst out laughing at the frustrated look on this guy's face.

I think I saw you when I was there!!!!! I was the little blonde in the manual wheelchair struggling over the bridge into the castle - that is the most vivid memory I have of running into the "maybe-you."

:rotfl:

Sadly this is not the first time I've heard a story like this. At the store I work at, I watched a man in a wheelchair with a service dog try to explain to a couple of children that because he couldn't move around very well, the dog helped him open doors and pick things up off the floor, etc. The mom of said kids goes "See kids? This man can't see when there's a door or where he drops something, but the dog can so it gets it for him!" The man goes "I can see, you're wearing a blue shirt and jeans, you have blonde hair..." She goes "Oh you must be one of those blinds that can sense the colors! Come on kids let's stop bothering this guy and let him get on his way" The kids just stared at her, and I'm about 5 feet away trying not to burst out laughing at the frustrated look on this guy's face.

Ok, now THAT's funny! Some people really do need to work on their common sense, don't they??

I think I saw you when I was there!!!!! I was the little blonde in the manual wheelchair struggling over the bridge into the castle - that is the most vivid memory I have of running into the "maybe-you."

I think I remember seeing you! Very small world!

I think this lady was just determined to not be wrong no matter what it took. It was amazing to watch. I'm sure security had a good time watching me on the cameras because I was leaning over a table with my fist in my mouth trying not to laugh at this whole situation.

:rotfl2:
I think you should also train your dog to drive a car and do the errands. What a great help that would be! I'm off to see about training mine right now.....

"Hey Rover, I'd just love some eggs benedict...do you think you could whip that up for me? And use the blue plates, not the pink ones. I can sense the color"

In all fairness, the lady probably thought she was doing a good thing. Good example of the need for education.

I tried to think that for awhile, but when someone tells you "Lady I'm not blind!", and you still don't get it...well I think we've passed the education aspect of things.

I thought someone here might get the humor in this story....

We just got back from a long trip to Disneyland (8 days in the parks). I travel with a scooter and a service dog, so I'm not exactly inconspicuous...

She got about 5 feet from my face, pointed, and yelled "SEE KIDS, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! THE GUIDE DOG HELPS THE BLIND LADY DRIVE THE SCOOTER."

Quick, who's the one with the disability???

(That's what we say when someone stares at my handicapped brother). :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter