A little advice for our dog

burnaroonie

Happy Together!
Just wondering how everyone that takes their pet camping keeps them busy while you are away from the campsite? We are never gone for very long, 2 hours at most. I know that can be a long time for a pet that isn't used to being alone in the camper.
We want to progress slowly getting her to that point but, also want her to enjoy her time and be good camping neighbors.
Any tips or tricks will be appreciated!

Our dog stays home alone for the bulk of the day so he is use to it and just sleeps the day a way. When we bring him on a trip with us and know he will be left alone for a few hours we make sure to do something to burn some of his energy before hand. A long walk, fetch, dog park trip etc. Helps increase the chances that he will be ready for a nap when it's time for us to leave him. I'll also fill an empty white bone/marrow bone with peanut butter and leave that for him in his crate. We always leave the tv or radio on to help drown out any background noises that might stress him out.

She does really well at home but, doesn't seem to get the idea that the motorhome is home too. I will be spending time with her out there to try to get her more used to the different area. She's okay if we're with her, it's just if we try to leave it really distresses her. We will try your suggestions and see if these things help. Thanks for your input!

IMG_5465.PNG We use these for our Lab. she has some general anxiety and have found these help tremendously. We are strongly against any prescribed drug for her, and found these were a perfect solution. Getting rid of some of that nervous energy is great idea too. A vigorous walk or play time is also a good help. A tired dog is happy well behaved dog

I spent most of March in the 1200 loop with my dog. It was her first time camping. She slept most of the 1200 mile drive south. At the Fort, we would get up and walk towards the Outpost. She would like to chase after armadillos near the hook/unhook area. We would go back to the camper and drink coffee and watch the Today show on TV outside. Around 8 I would put her in the camper and go to the parks. I usually left the radio or TV on for her. I would come back to the camper after 4 or 5 hours and walk her some more. She just liked being outside at the fort. She never complained.

View attachment 233378 We use these for our Lab. she has some general anxiety and have found these help tremendously. We are strongly against any prescribed drug for her, and found these were a perfect solution. Getting rid of some of that nervous energy is great idea too. A vigorous walk or play time is also a good help. A tired dog is happy well behaved dog
We use something very similar for ours when traveling each gets one the night before and 1 the morning of. Outr Big girl travels well but the kids are another story. Sky does well in the car but is afraid in the coach more so when trucks pass us or I pass them so she rides in Mommy's lap on the couch. Katie want to be my co pilot/navigator and hates the kids gate that keeps her behind my chair but will settle down and snuggle up to WookieBear. WookieBear doesn't like thunder or fireworks echo but our AC/Heater at Disney muffles the noise enough she doesn't seem bothered. Most days After a quick walk to relieve themselves Mom and Dad have a quick coffee then we all go for a long walk and trip to Wagging Tails before heading out for 4 to 5 hours of touring. Return and off for a walk and Wagging Tails all over again

We only had our Lab at the fort once. He is used to being home alone for upwards of 8-9 hours a day (when we go to work). He has even been home alone longer. Usually no problems, occasionally an "Accident" (which you cannot blame him for), so our concern when we took him to the Fort was more about the "Smaller" space. We had (at that time) a 27' TT which left plenty of room for him. We sprinkled in some days at the "Best Friends" kennel. He didn't like going but once he was there, he did have an awesome time, but I think he was happy to come back. (He about near dragged the girl behind him. He's a 120# yellow Lab).

When left in the TT, We did try to check back more frequently on ours, but since he has "Run of the place" he just made himself comfortable on our bed until we returned. Just like at home. :)

You know your pet better than anyone else. If your dog is easily spurred to "barking" with outside noise, the TV or Radio left on is probably a good idea.

Thanks everyone for all of your responses! We will probably go with all of your suggestions in the end. I'm afraid the cat tip won't work as she shares our house with five cats. She's pretty new to the cat world but they all get along almost too well. She does like chasing squirrels:rolleyes1P4190555.JPG

Oh, how cute is she?!?! Just want to ditto the nice long walk and/or playtime before heading out. Is she crated at home? If so, a crate in the camper is a good bet, she'll feel safe and cozy like she does at home. I'll also add that while our older lab did pretty well on his own, getting a second dog really helped - I think he's more at ease knowing that part of the pack is still there with him rather than him being the only one left behind.

I'll also add that we always keep the possibility of one of us needing to stay behind if the dogs aren't ready for us to leave yet. We did have that happen at the Fort with we had just our older guy. We had been out late the night before and had used Best Friends for daycare that day/evening. So when we headed out the next morning he wasn't thrilled with parting so soon and barked and cried. So DH stayed behind and had a nice relaxing morning with DK9 while DS and I went off to Hollywood Studios. Just something we always prepare ourselves for and keep in the backs of our minds.

Your dog is adorable!!

As for my dog, this is the position she is in most of the day. She's actually gone a whole 24 hours without going potty- not because she didn't have the opportunity but just out of sheer laziness of not wanting to get up when I opened the back door for her. So yeah, we can leave her all day and as long as she has AC she doesn't care. I'm afraid I have no advice for a dog who actually moves......

Thanks everyone! Sophie has only been with us two months, as she was a rescue. She has done well for the time with us, and we want to share all things that we think she might enjoy. She has been camping a couple of times and likes it until we are separated. We are working on this slowly as she doesn't do this at home. I appreciate all the tips and accolades and will put all your tips to good use.

Oh, how cute is she?!?! Just want to ditto the nice long walk and/or playtime before heading out. Is she crated at home? If so, a crate in the camper is a good bet, she'll feel safe and cozy like she does at home. I'll also add that while our older lab did pretty well on his own, getting a second dog really helped - I think he's more at ease knowing that part of the pack is still there with him rather than him being the only one left behind.

I'll also add that we always keep the possibility of one of us needing to stay behind if the dogs aren't ready for us to leave yet. We did have that happen at the Fort with we had just our older guy. We had been out late the night before and had used Best Friends for daycare that day/evening. So when we headed out the next morning he wasn't thrilled with parting so soon and barked and cried. So DH stayed behind and had a nice relaxing morning with DK9 while DS and I went off to Hollywood Studios. Just something we always prepare ourselves for and keep in the backs of our minds.
Thanks! No she isn't crated, she has done very well so far without it. We are taking her favorite bed and blanket. I'm afraid I couldn't deal with a second dog right now, as I have several physical limitations. We thought about it when we adopted her.

We only had our Lab at the fort once. He is used to being home alone for upwards of 8-9 hours a day (when we go to work). He has even been home alone longer. Usually no problems, occasionally an "Accident" (which you cannot blame him for), so our concern when we took him to the Fort was more about the "Smaller" space. We had (at that time) a 27' TT which left plenty of room for him. We sprinkled in some days at the "Best Friends" kennel. He didn't like going but once he was there, he did have an awesome time, but I think he was happy to come back. (He about near dragged the girl behind him. He's a 120# yellow Lab).

When left in the TT, We did try to check back more frequently on ours, but since he has "Run of the place" he just made himself comfortable on our bed until we returned. Just like at home. :)

You know your pet better than anyone else. If your dog is easily spurred to "barking" with outside noise, the TV or Radio left on is probably a good idea.
Thanks for your help! She does well by herself at home, she settles quickly and either sleeps or chews her toys. In the rv you can't even be outside without her. I think it's still strange to her and maybe needs extra amusements to help her calm more. We are going slowly and taking her camping as much as we can. I'm about to start staying outside in the camper with her for a couple of weeks in hopes she might acclimate better, leaving her for small increments of time and extending the time as we progress. Wish me luck!

Thanks for your help! She does well by herself at home, she settles quickly and either sleeps or chews her toys. In the rv you can't even be outside without her. I think it's still strange to her and maybe needs extra amusements to help her calm more. We are going slowly and taking her camping as much as we can. I'm about to start staying outside in the camper with her for a couple of weeks in hopes she might acclimate better, leaving her for small increments of time and extending the time as we progress. Wish me luck!
is your RV kept close to your house? is it possible to spend time there with her before you leave. coming from my rescues they have to feel that the RV is part of your home. the more you camp with her the more it will seem like home

I understand wanting to keep your pup in familiar surroundings, but I have to put my vote in for the Best Friends kennel daycare. We have a very spoiled Dachshund who had only been kenneled once before and can't be left in the trailer as he's a continual yapper, and we took him to Best Friends when we were at the fort. We were sure he would spend the day barking and be traumatized, but he loved it there!! He was perky and happy when we picked him up and, best of all, he was perky and happy to be dropped off the rest of his days there.

Thanks! No she isn't crated, she has done very well so far without it. We are taking her favorite bed and blanket. I'm afraid I couldn't deal with a second dog right now, as I have several physical limitations. We thought about it when we adopted her.

Just my 2 cents based on experience... I strongly recommend getting your pup a crate and making it a fun place to be. Put bedding, toys, toss a snack in there once in a while. Our dogs actually love their crate.. Sometimes they even end up in there on their own. When we started camping, by taking the crate it made an unfamiliar/scary place a little more tolerable. Now they're old pros so we don't really use it 100% of the time, but I know it helped in the beginning. Our older dachshund once destroyed the linoleum in our first pop up after being left alone in it the first time (for 10 mins). Now they just sit on top of the couch-back and look out the window.

If this is a no go, definitely consider the kennel, or work like mad to get your pup accustomed to being left alone in the camper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts