a few questions please

cometzero

Earning My Ears
Hi I just found these boards a few days ago and have already learned so much. I was wonderring if anyone could give me some suggestions. we are going to GKTW on 11/16 for my 17 year old sons wish trip (heart defects)we were at WDW a few years ago, but only for a couple days so don't know much. I was wonderring if anyonw has suggestion for what my son shouldn't miss, rides, food, shows ect. we are going to discovery Cove one day so we are pretty excited about that, well truthfully *I* am. D has been let down before because of medical problems, so actually doesn't get excited til his feet are actually there. BUT this is the most important part of my questions, he's been thru a lot the past few years and I don't want ot get home and him think buy I wish we knew about .... I would have liked to do that,
also I didn't even think of this until I was reading the boards, but I am on dis for my back, i have a spinal stim, take meds and am having a spinal block this tues so I can be pleasant. I just planned on walking and maybe staying at GKTW one day and let them go to the park if my back is really bad, but after reading I am thinking maybe I should rent a scooter for the days it is bad so I can still share his magic time? also he is an only child so was allowed to take a friend for rides and such, so I'm wonderring if I should get a GAC for myself? incasewe let the boys have some time by themselves
Thanks
ps do families w/ CB pages or care pages put their links here? and is anyone going to be there the same time we are

DOes your son have limitations due to the heart defects? There are clear warnings for many rides about not going on with a heart condition, other health situations, etc. I'm thinking that rides like Mission Space, Test Track, Rockin' Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror wouldn't be a good idea for your son?

You really should get an ECV. If you think you need more assistance besides using the ECV, then request a GAC as well.

I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

cometzero said:
ps do families w/ CB pages or care pages put their links here? and is anyone going to be there the same time we are
Welcome to disABILITIES.
First, the easiest to answer question.
Some people do post links to the Caring Bridges pages in one of their posts. That's perfectly fine to do.
I was wonderring if anyonw has suggestion for what my son shouldn't miss, rides, food, shows ect. we are going to discovery Cove one day so we are pretty excited about that, well truthfully *I* am. D has been let down before because of medical problems, so actually doesn't get excited til his feet are actually there. BUT this is the most important part of my questions, he's been thru a lot the past few years and I don't want ot get home and him think buy I wish we knew about .... I would have liked to do that,
First suggestion is go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread and follow the link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. There is one for each park; they don't give a lot of detail, but do tell you a bit about each ride and list the ones with restrictions. There are quite a few (including all the roller coaster and thrill rides) that do have warnings for people with heart problems. He/you should talk with his doctor to see what restrictions he needs to have. Disney will not stop him from going on anything - they post the restrictions and it's up to you to decide what attractions are not appropriate.
I think the most important in thinking about what would be "don't miss" things for him is what is he interested in. Also one thing that you may not think about is some attractions that he may not be able to ride still have things he could do. For example, the Star Tours attraction (based on Star Wars) is very turbulent, but if it's not busy, it is possible to get the movie run without the motion. Also, Mission Space (which would not be recommended because it has high G forces) has some games to play at the ride exit that you can play without going on the ride.
also I didn't even think of this until I was reading the boards, but I am on dis for my back, i have a spinal stim, take meds and am having a spinal block this tues so I can be pleasant. I just planned on walking and maybe staying at GKTW one day and let them go to the park if my back is really bad, but after reading I am thinking maybe I should rent a scooter for the days it is bad so I can still share his magic time? also he is an only child so was allowed to take a friend for rides and such, so I'm wondering if I should get a GAC for myself? incasewe let the boys have some time by themselves
That sounds like a good idea to get a scooter for yourself. He will have a special GAC (Guest Assistance Card). If he and the friend are going to go off by themselves, make sure they have what they need to prove he is on a Wish trip (2 teenage boys on a Wish trip by themselves is sort of unusual and might be challenged).
If you have a scooter while he and his friend are off by themselves, you probably won't need a GAC. You will be able to bring the scooter in the lines and the CMs will direct you to where you need to go without a GAC. (look at the GAC information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread to decide if you would benefit from one). The time period you are going should not be that busy (right around Thanksgiving is).
If you do decide to separate, it's a good idea to have each group have a cell phone or 2 way radio (radios would only work if you are in the same park). That way, you can hook up with each other if you need to. There might be some spots in the parks where you have no reception (including inside rides), so if you try to reach them and can't, don't panic.

Thank you so much for your help. Justin is allowed to do rollercoasters, but can't do the rides w/ big G forces, Justin is pretty lucky in that his pc is a little more lenient that some of the other ones I've heard about when it comes to doing things, especially since he is 17, back when he was born, most docs had the kids on alot of restrictions, but he has worked w/ us and we always run things by him before Justin would try things.
I think he will really like the Star wars thing since he was a jedi for halloween.
I will check the sites you suggested and yes I can see where 2 17 year olds would get questioned about the GKTW badge.thanks again, I've learned so much, Lyn
I tried to post a link to justin's caringbridge page but I haven't posted enough hereyet to be allowed to post links, so it is a caringbridge org and the stae is NJ then justinw

If you search for GKTW you can find out a lot about the village and all they have to offer.
we were at the village last year with our daughter (she also has a heart defect she was born with) all the CM's are wonderful to kids with the button from the village.
If you have question about the village, ask.

DD has gone on test track (she is 10) and she loves it. she is not tall enought for most of the other "big" rides. we just make sure that she was in the middle seat with no shoulder restraint to have that jerk when you stop fast.

Justin went to school today and was talking to a friend about his trip, his friend told him this summer his family did a tour where you walk under disney and see the medical stuff and all the behind the scenes things. we looked at tours on disney but couldn't figure out which tour it is and he would like to do that, Thanks Lyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter