A few questions from a first-time DISser

ryuk52109

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am planning to go to WDW next year in March for my 25th birthday (plan on arriving there on St Patrick's day for the festivities :) ) but after reading a few threads on here, I am unsure about a few things, they are:

1. With regards to ECVs and rides, do I NEED to take it in with me? I can easily walk short distances, but long ones are no good since I have Cerebral Palsy (can walk, but not as well as everyone else).
2. In terms of rides for "pooh-sized" DISsers, what rides would I have trouble with if I were 122KG during my trip? I am losing weight, but would be good to have a general idea of what to expect if I were to go as I am now.
3. In terms of ride accessibility, which rides would it be best if I avoided? I can easily stand for 15 minutes or more (I have my walking stick for that purpose) but I am referring to getting in/out of the rides themselves. I am planning to travel with one of my brothers (he will be 19 next year)
4. When going into an ECV-inaccessible area, or deciding to go into an area/ride without it, where is the best place to park it?
Thanks for your time, REALLY hoping to enjoy this trip next year, would be my first trip overseas, to the USA AND to WDW, really excited. P.S. I am already planning on getting a fastpass, and using the Magical Express to get from the airport to the park itself.

my main disability is Cerebral Palsy, however I am also vision impaired (can see, but not as good as everyone else).

first off have you read this thread yet https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/. if not I would ( you do not need to read every thing just look at the the first post and see what post might help you

as for your question

1. you can take your ECV in most lines at Disney ( and I would as some lines are quite long and a line might be stoped for a number of resion if the ECV can not go in line then there will be a wheel chair for you to use.

2 not too sure what KG = in pounds but most rides you will be fine Brain stormer at the MK might be hard and some people find 7DMT some people do not fit on FOP but I think this also has to do with hight and weight

3 can you do stars ( like step in down into a boat to get on a ride, I would say this would be like going up and down 2 sets of stares) cast members can not help you but they will give you some extra time to get in and out of rides.

4 most rides you can take your ECV in and I would but if you can not then the CM at the ride will let you know where you can park your ECV and they will have wheel chair for you to use.

have a great trip

Hello, I am planning to go to WDW next year in March for my 25th birthday (plan on arriving there on St Patrick's day for the festivities :) ) but after reading a few threads on here, I am unsure about a few things, they are:

1. With regards to ECVs and rides, do I NEED to take it in with me? I can easily walk short distances, but long ones are no good since I have Cerebral Palsy (can walk, but not as well as everyone else). no you can certainly leave it parked. outside the line if you like( usually with the strollers)
2. In terms of rides for "pooh-sized" DISsers, what rides would I have trouble with if I were 122KG during my trip? I am losing weight, but would be good to have a general idea of what to expect if I were to go as I am now. some rides have a practice vehicle outside the line for you to check. but as a general rule, unless you carry all your weight in the bum, you should be okay.
3. In terms of ride accessibility, which rides would it be best if I avoided? I can easily stand for 15 minutes or more (I have my walking stick for that purpose) but I am referring to getting in/out of the rides themselves. I am planning to travel with one of my brothers (he will be 19 next year) that is all dependent on you. many rides can be slowed( not People mover or Peter Pan) that being said stand by lines can be an hour or longer. even fast pass lines can be 20 minutes.
4. When going into an ECV-inaccessible area, or deciding to go into an area/ride without it, where is the best place to park it? the cast members will show you.
Thanks for your time, REALLY hoping to enjoy this trip next year, would be my first trip overseas, to the USA AND to WDW, really excited. P.S. I am already planning on getting a fastpass, and using the Magical Express to get from the airport to the park itself.

my main disability is Cerebral Palsy, however I am also vision impaired (can see, but not as good as everyone else).

se my answers above in green

as a general rule. the entire park is pretty accessible. some lines you cannot bring an ECV in, but you can swap out for a manual chair which will be provided.

Canadian here 122kg is about 275 lbs. Fluffy but not totally Pooh sized. Though it does depend a lot on how tall you are etc. Here is a link you might find useful http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm

Our DS22 has many special needs and uses a WC, Disney is one of the most accommodating destinations, you will not be disappointed with just a little planning. Coming here is a good first step, this group is incredibly supportive and so darn smart.

@ryuk52109
:welcome:

Yay! Congratulations on your first trip!

Don't forget to stop by Guest Relations (or visit with the Concierge at your Resort Hotel) to get your "First Visit" button! :)

Canadian here 122kg is about 275 lbs. Fluffy but not totally Pooh sized. Though it does depend a lot on how tall you are etc. Here is a link you might find useful http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm
Since there are no definitions of of "Pooh sized" or "fluffy" I consulted some height and weight charts. At that weight, anyone 5'7" or less is off the charts of "extremely obese." Depending on where the OP carries their weight, yes, they will have issues with some ride seat sizes and restraints. Also, it sounds like the OP may have issues physically getting into and out of ride vehicles due to more than just weight.

OP, you may want to read Disney's accessibility information for attractions as well as the sticky threads in this forum. Some rides will require you to switch to a manual wheelchair that they provide. Will your brother be able to push that? I'd rethink not taking the ECV in standby lines. Walking short distances is different than slowly walking through switchbacks and possibly starting and stopping. Save the walking for when you use FP, dining and around the resort.

Regarding your question about getting in and out of rides, it really depends on your balance, range of motion, and ability to use your hands. I have what sounds like somewhat more severe CP then you have. I can only stand for a few minutes, and can only walk 100 feet or so comfortably without my crutches. However, I can get in and out of most rides without assistance with very little trouble.

How are you with getting in and out of cars? If you can get into a low sedan and a high SUV / van without help, then I don't think you will have much trouble with transferring into the ride vehicles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter