A Disneyland Hotel Dream Come True February 2016

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
A bit of background info. I had originally booked Hotel New York Plaza View room. Three weeks before my trip Disney called me and upgraded me to a standard room in Disneyland Hotel.

Tuesday 23 February

I was on the first flight from Dublin to Paris Charles de Guelle which left Dublin at 6.50am Irish time. The flight landed at 9.30am Paris time, in Terminal 1. After collecting my bags I headed out to the train shuttle to terminal 2. Just follow the signs from terminal 1 baggage claim. You will need to take the lift down 1 level. The shuttle train takes about 15 minutes. I then followed the signs to terminal 2 E arrivals. Due to the ongoing high security it took a bit longer as some internal corridors were closed by security. After a quick stop at the ladies I eventually made it to the Magic Shuttle ticket desk. This is located in a corridor linking terminal 2e and terminal 2F.

I had made it quicker than I expected and was the last passenger on the 10.30am bus. I hadn’t expected to make this departure; I had planned on the 11.15am departure, so this really made the day start special. The bus was crowded, a lot of families, which I was surprised at, as it was the week after UK and Ireland half term.

As the bus travelled along the motorways, I started getting excited, as I began to recognise landmarks along the way. There was no traffic so we made good time. About 40 minutes from the airport to the Disney turn off from the motorway.

Finally we took that last turn off the motorway and I expected to see Newport Bay Hotel. But no, it seems we were taking the scenic route. Ok then, this will be interesting. First stop was Val d’Europe bus station where some people got off. It seemed like ages before we finally got to Newport Bay. Now the Disney feeling set in, we are on Disney property. Then it was onto Sequoia Lodge and Santa Fe.

Still lots of people on the bus though, hmmm this is interesting. So after Santa Fe I expected Cheyanne, well nope, seems like this is the VERY scenic bus route. We head off to the partner hotels next, allll the way down that ring road and drop of at every. single.hotel!!! From Kyraid to Explorers, people get off at every hotel. Ok phew, done, back onto the ring road, I look around, ah blast still some people left, so I guess that means Cheyanne next. Finally after Cheyanne I am the last one on the bus and now comes the exciting part. Disneyland Hotel, holy crap I’m here.

Finally at 12pm I get off the bus and the first of the Disney magic, CMs helping me with my luggage and holding the door open for me. The door opens and just WOW, I cant believe I am finally here. That Disneyland Hotel special smell that Ive seen people talking about online, the beautiful lobby, I just don’t know where to look, trying to take it all in.

Right in the centre is the beautiful big staircase, with side staircases leading off it, the luggage desk to one side and the reception desk to the other side. In the middle , just before the staircase is a seating area and some glass cases of Disney figures. On the walls the most amazing old style Disney paintings. The ceiling is this beautiful glass dome high ceiling.

As I walk a bit further in, a CM approach me, asks if I am checking in, as the luggage counter is over there. Ok right, this is different, so I trundle over to the luggage counter. They take my luggage and give me a reclaim ticket. I then go across to the other side of the lobby to check in. As its only 12pm, my room is not ready, that ok, I was expecting that. I am given my park ticket, my hotel easypass and my special daily extra fast pass.

The hotel fastpass are per person per day of your trip. They are standard in Disneyland Hotel but only in the VIP Concierge level in the other hotel. They have your name and hotel and are dated. They can be used at any fastpass ride after 4pm each day.

So after checking in, I find the ladies in the lobby to quickly freshen up and then I taking a deep breathe, yes I am actually here, I go out the doors under the stairs, the opposite end of the lobby to where I came in and head out into the parks

Today, my arrival day was my Studios day. I looked at my watch as I went out the door and it was 12.40pm, great I am on target, :) As I exit the hotel I see all the green hoarding around Fantasia Gardens. It’s a shame that they are redoing that area during my trip but it does not really bother me. I continue on to the Studios, just loving the fact that I am soo close and don’t have to even go Disney Village. After going through the gate, I wander for a bit in the shops and then head across to Crush Coaster. This trip was going to be a trip of firsts and what better way to start than on Crush, which I have never been on. Oh well I guess not, the wait time was far too long. I guess I should have asked about single rider but somehow I forgot. So instead I did Flying Carpets. I nice little ride, similar to Dumbo in Fantasyland.

Then it was finally over to Ratatouille, the new signature ride. I have heard soo much about this and I couldn’t wait to finally see it. The whole area of Remys Plaza is really well themed, more like something you would see in the American Parks. There are 3 entrance areas to Ratatouille, the singer rider line is in the middle, regular standby on one side and fastpass on the other. There is a CM directing people so I asked how long the singer rider wait was and he said 15 minutes. Cool, so in I went. The single rider line starts off like a house hallway and goes to a night time rooftop street scene. There are all sorts of random audio parts on a loop to keep people entertained. The last part of the single rider line is where you pick up your 3D glasses and all 3 lines end up side by side on the way to the ride loading area.

As with other Disney rides, the Fastpass people load first, then the standby and then single rider to fill up spaces. When it is your turn you are directed to a wait line number for your ride vehicle. The ride vehicles are on a track, with a pull down lap bar. When you get in, you are instructed to put on your glasses and then you are off. The ride is supper fun, a whizz around on a track, with 3D screens and oversized props. Its fast and furious so if you suffer from motion sickness or have trouble with 3D films it might not be the best.

All too soon the ride is over and you are back at the unloading area. As you exit the ride you can get a peek into Chez Remy restaurant, as there is a glass wall separating the restaurant and the ride unloading area. I had decided not to eat in this restaurant and having seen what its like I'm not that disappointed that I skipped it. The themeing in the restaurant is amazing but having researched the menu before my trip, the limited menu and high prices to me do not seem worth it.

After the ride I had a look in the shop. There is quiet a good selection of themed merchandise here as well as the more common Paris themed merchandise.

Then I continued into Toystory Land and Slinky Dog. The wait was about 20 minutes, not too bad, but not something I would to again. Slinky Dog is a gentle kids ride, round and round on a track, with the track having elevated sections to give an up and down motion. After Slinky Dog I walked past the Tram Ride. I hadn't really planned on doing this ride but line was short so I went on. I don’t have high expectations of this, as I have done the Backstage Tram Tour in Universal Studios Hollywood. The Disneyland Paris is ok, but quiet disappointing. I have been on the Paris version before and yep just as I thought, nothing has changed, oh well, sigh.

Ok, check the time, right its 2.45pm, wow I have done so much already. Now it’s time for something to eat. I had made a reservation at Restaurant Des Stars so going past Motuer Actions stunt show I head over there.

I have never been in this restaurant so when I walk in I am surprised at how big and spacious it is. Ok well maybe that’s because its almost empty. So my reservation was not necessary, oh, well. So I go to the host stand, and I am directed down the side wall to pay at the till. I guess they get huge crowds as the there is a proper queuing area but there is no one in front of me so I go straight to the till. I pay for a meal and soft drink; I am given a drink voucher and go to find a table. The first table I try to take I am scolded by the CMs, apparently they only want people sitting in a certain part of the restaurant as the main lunch rush is over.

I find a table they are happy with me sitting at, put my drink voucher on the table and go explore the food options. I can’t really remember much of the food options, but it was mainly French / Italian style food, pasta, chicken, and beef. There were salad and fruit options as well beside the desert section. When I got back to my table my drink, a can of coke was on the table. I did a few rounds of the buffet, having a taste of almost all the types of food before my dessert selection. I was in the restaurant after 3pm and it was very quiet. It was a nice break from the park and the food selection I was happy with. Although I don’t think I would eat here during a lunch time rush as the style and layout of the tables is open plan so it could get noisy when full.

After my meal, I decide to go back to the hotel and get my room key.

Disneyland-Hotel-Paris-Standard-Room-Fastpass_zpsdkeovy6r.jpg

As I leave I have another wander through the shops and buy some things, so that I can leave the bags in the room.

I make my way back to the hotel and go to the reception desk. Great my room is ready so I get my key. The CM asks for my bag claim ticket and says she will arrange for my bags to be brought to my room. OMG, this is amazing, I don’t even have to bring my bags up to the room. So I get directions to my room and in a daze I find the lift to go to the 2nd floor. I am soo loving this hotel, even the lift is beautifully decorated. The doors open and I follow the numbers to my room. It feels odd not be dragging my suitcase, just my handbag and shopping bags. So I open the door and wow, I have a hallway!! Ok my mind just cant cope. It’s just a standard room, but to me its heaven. I turn on the lights and I just stand there, taking it all in. The bathroom, the bed, the wallpaper, I have a sofa!! I go to the window, holy crap, I have a balcony!!

Disneyland-Hotel-Paris-Standard-Room_zpssmilnesh.jpg

OMGGGGG. I open the doors and go out, ok maybe that wasn’t such a good idea, its cold, but wait, whats that in the distance?? I see something between the trees, no way, that’s THE CASTLE!!! Hang on if I can see a bit of The Castle, that means I can see Dreams!!

Disneyland%20Hotel%20Paris%20View%20of%20Park_zpsl2fky9d8.jpg

OK, calm down, think and plan the rest of the evening. I take some photos of the room to clear my head. I find a Disneyland Hotel bathrobe and slippers in the wardrobe. This is where the room safe is located. In the bathroom are the lovely H2O shampoo and shower wash in the little bottles with the black Mickey heads. There are also the usual shower cap, soap etc as well as body lotion.

Disneyland-Hotel-Paris-Standard-Room-Bathroom_zps5msiccyp.jpg

Its now 4.30pm. The park closes at 8pm, which means Dreams starts at 8pm, so I need to be back in the room by 8pm. Right, so with my evening planned I head back out to the Studios as I want to go again on Ratatouille.

So back to Ratatouille I go but nooo. As I get there I see lots of people standing around, ugh this does not look good. Yep the ride is down. I go into the shop, and when I come out it’s still down, so I sit for a bit at the fountain and people watch. I get a bit cold so I decide to go and explore the rest of the Studios. There’s not much else I want to do, so after a loop of the studios through Hollywood area, I’m back at Ratatouille and thankfully the ride is back in action. This time I use my Disneyland Hotel Fastpass as its after 4pm. The wait time is still only about 15 minutes.

Ok, that’s me done with the studios. Its now just after 6pm, so I decide to go into the main park for the last 2 hours. My two favourite rides are Pirates and Haunted Mansion / Phantom Manor. The way Disneyland Paris is laid out, they are at opposite end of the park. So I decide to go to Pirates first, as its farthest away. The one thing that Paris has done well is the hidden walkway from Main Street to Pirates. I found this on a previous trip and just love the way you can zoom through the park, avoiding the main crush of people. It starts at Liberty Arcade on Main Street, then goes through Adventure Land and along the side of Frontierland buildings right the way down to the side of Chateau de Marionettes and then to Pirates.

I just love the theming of queue line in Pirates in Paris. Down , down , down you go, through caves and along wooden floors, passing little hidden alcoves as the air gets warmer and more humid. One trick in Paris, take the right hand lane when you get to the loading area. Most people automatically take the left lane. On this go and on all the other times I went on Pirates I took the right lane and there were far less people ahead of me.

After Pirates and a quick look in the shop, I retraced my steps along the hidden walkway, back to Adventureland and on to Haunted Mansion / Phantom Manor.

I was lucky with my timing and Phantom Manor was a walk on. I miss the stretching room in English and the English dialogue on the ride but the Paris version feels a lot creepier and darker, the California one feels more comedy spooky, this is just spooky. There seems to be more theming on the hallway walk from the stretching room to the doom buggies in the Paris version.

After Phantom Manor, I decide its time to back to my room. I have a quick look in the shops on Main Street and buy a Minnie Balloon.

This is soo cool, I exit the park through the gates on the left, walk up a bit and I’m in my hotel. I take the lift up to the 2nd floor and within 10 minutes of leaving the park I am in my room.

Its now about 7.45pm. My luggage has found its way to the room and my large suitcase has even been placed on the luggage stand. The lights are on in the room, the curtains closed, the bed covers have been “turned down” and there are Disneyland Hotel chocolates on the pillows. WOW, Im sooo not used to this.

After just gazing at the room for a few minutes, I get organised and get into position on the balcony. OK, I’m not going to lie, it’s a very obstructed view and Im lucky that Fantasia Gardens and that side of the park is empty as the music is very faint and hard to hear. I can only see the higher up fireworks and lights and none of the projections. Some people pass by under my balcony and I can’t hear the music with their chatter. BUT it’s such a novelty, to be able to be in my room and experience Dreams.

fireworks%20from%20Disneyland%20Hotel%20%20Paris%20Room%20watermarked_zpsur4seoyb.jpg

Once its over, I decide to explore the hotel. I have never even been in this hotel before, so its all a new experience. I decide to go and see if the pool is still open and have a swim. So at 8.45pm, with my swim gear and camera I head out to explore the hotel.

My room is on the reception side of the hotel, so I go down one floor in the lift, and then go across the linking corridor over the park entrance gates. This brings me to the centre section of the building. Here I find the shop, bar and restaurants in a big atrium.

Crossing this space I follow signs for the pool which bring me to another elevator. There a few families wearing the hotel bathrobes so I guess I am headed in the right direction. I go down one floor in the lift and follow the signs left to the pool and spa. At the end of the corridor I see the pool on my left and the entrance to the spa on my right. There is a concierge / reception desk and the CM greets me and gives me a towel and shows me to the female changing rooms.

The female changing rooms are very small BUT there are lots of lockers. I guess it’s expected that you change in your room and just wear your bathrobe but I’m not comfortable walking around the hotel like that. I decide to change in a toilet cubicle as I didn’t want to be in the way of other ladies coming in to just use the lockers.

The lockers have a key on a wristband in them, so you don’t need a coin or your own lock. So after changing and putting my stuff in a locker, out I go. I bring my towel and I’m wearing flip-flop’s. As I enter the pool area there is an automatic shower you step into just at the pool side. The pool itself is small but compact. There are a good few families but I don’t mind. There are no lanes just open water. I go down the deep end, where its quieter and have a lovely relaxing swim. I can’t help thinking, omg, this is mad, it’s after 9pm and I’m swimming in the pool in Disneyland Paris.

Once I was nicely turning into a prune, and my body and feet had stopped aching, I decided that was enough pool time. The pool closed at 9.30pm so I decided to leave before it closed so that the changing room wouldn’t be too crowded. I went back to the changing room, retrieved my clothes and got changed again in the toilet cubicle.

Feeling nicely refreshed I decided to end the night with a drink in Café Fantasia.
Cafe-Fantasia-Disneyland-Hotel-Paris_zpsgfd7xtro.jpg

I have read soo many trip reports about the famous Glowtini cocktail that I had to have one. I must say I wasn’t disappointed, it was really yummy but a bit strong… hic…

Cafe-Fantasia-Disneyland-Hotel-Paris-Glowtini_zpsy05pw1et.jpg

Red-Glowtini-Disneyland-Hotel-Paris_zpsbuqmd3sg.jpg

So feeling a little fuzzy but is a nice way that’s the end of Day 1.

Really enjoyed reading so far! I agree that the DLH is a special hotel. I bought a bottle of the 'home fragrance' last visit (two actually - one for me and one for mum) and I spray it now and again - my girls love it and always get excited when they can smell it.

Looking forward to more!

thanks for reading @cdsmiler81 and @DLPDreams

I know its very detailed but I hope to give a different view than the normal trip reports and put in information that will be helpful and useful to people. Also as I am a solo traveller and dont do character meets its a different touring style to families with kids :)

I was SO excited to find your review today! We are hoping to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for our first trip next summer. I am eagerly following along! :banana:

Enjoying reading along - DLH is so lovely.

We always use the right hand lane on pirates too and nearly everyone looks as us as if we're queue jumping lol - also love the covered walkway - my kids just head for Liberty Arcade without me even saying anything.

Look forward to more

A bit of background info. I had originally booked Hotel New York Plaza View room. Three weeks before my trip Disney called me and upgraded me to a standard room in Disneyland Hotel.

Tuesday 23 February

I was on the first flight from Dublin to Paris Charles de Guelle which left Dublin at 6.50am Irish time. The flight landed at 9.30am Paris time, in Terminal 1. After collecting my bags I headed out to the train shuttle to terminal 2. Just follow the signs from terminal 1 baggage claim. You will need to take the lift down 1 level. The shuttle train takes about 15 minutes. I then followed the signs to terminal 2 E arrivals. Due to the ongoing high security it took a bit longer as some internal corridors were closed by security. After a quick stop at the ladies I eventually made it to the Magic Shuttle ticket desk. This is located in a corridor linking terminal 2e and terminal 2F.

I had made it quicker than I expected and was the last passenger on the 10.30am bus. I hadn’t expected to make this departure; I had planned on the 11.15am departure, so this really made the day start special. The bus was crowded, a lot of families, which I was surprised at, as it was the week after UK and Ireland half term.

As the bus travelled along the motorways, I started getting excited, as I began to recognise landmarks along the way. There was no traffic so we made good time. About 40 minutes from the airport to the Disney turn off from the motorway.

Finally we took that last turn off the motorway and I expected to see Newport Bay Hotel. But no, it seems we were taking the scenic route. Ok then, this will be interesting. First stop was Val d’Europe bus station where some people got off. It seemed like ages before we finally got to Newport Bay. Now the Disney feeling set in, we are on Disney property. Then it was onto Sequoia Lodge and Santa Fe.

I have just discovered your thread - will definitely read it all. In the middle of organizing our April 2018 Mediterian cruise, Paris stop which included DL Paris and Portafino. I am sure your report will be very helpful. Havent been to DL Paris - only to DL Anaheim. Rosa

Still lots of people on the bus though, hmmm this is interesting. So after Santa Fe I expected Cheyanne, well nope, seems like this is the VERY scenic bus route. We head off to the partner hotels next, allll the way down that ring road and drop of at every. single.hotel!!! From Kyraid to Explorers, people get off at every hotel. Ok phew, done, back onto the ring road, I look around, ah blast still some people left, so I guess that means Cheyanne next. Finally after Cheyanne I am the last one on the bus and now comes the exciting part. Disneyland Hotel, holy crap I’m here.

Finally at 12pm I get off the bus and the first of the Disney magic, CMs helping me with my luggage and holding the door open for me. The door opens and just WOW, I cant believe I am finally here. That Disneyland Hotel special smell that Ive seen people talking about online, the beautiful lobby, I just don’t know where to look, trying to take it all in.

Right in the centre is the beautiful big staircase, with side staircases leading off it, the luggage desk to one side and the reception desk to the other side. In the middle , just before the staircase is a seating area and some glass cases of Disney figures. On the walls the most amazing old style Disney paintings. The ceiling is this beautiful glass dome high ceiling.

As I walk a bit further in, a CM approach me, asks if I am checking in, as the luggage counter is over there. Ok right, this is different, so I trundle over to the luggage counter. They take my luggage and give me a reclaim ticket. I then go across to the other side of the lobby to check in. As its only 12pm, my room is not ready, that ok, I was expecting that. I am given my park ticket, my hotel easypass and my special daily extra fast pass.

The hotel fastpass are per person per day of your trip. They are standard in Disneyland Hotel but only in the VIP Concierge level in the other hotel. They have your name and hotel and are dated. They can be used at any fastpass ride after 4pm each day.

So after checking in, I find the ladies in the lobby to quickly freshen up and then I taking a deep breathe, yes I am actually here, I go out the doors under the stairs, the opposite end of the lobby to where I came in and head out into the parks

Joining in a bit late. I'm from Ireland as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter