A Bash, a Benson, and a Banshee: A DIS 20th Event Solo Trip ** new Aug 2nd, 2017 - Complete! **

Loved being along (thank you again!) both through the trip report, and as a fLattie! <wink> I also take boat rides whenever I can when @ WDW (or anywhere else, for that matter) - so pretty, unique views, relaxing. Love the shirt on you, I know you were pretty much psyched about finding one that "matched" your Trader Sam's Day - I wear/buy certain shirts for certain things too - we are kindred spirits, even though MANY do not understand me. LOL

Don't drink anymore, but have always been intrigued by the sound of that Black Cherry Mule, and that's probably what I would have ordered. Sorry to hear the burgers were not good, that's probably what I would have gotten too. Love WL's lobby, and the whole resort. I find that, and the lobby of AK similar, but somehow different. Love both, but the one at AKL seems "darker" and yet "cozier" to me for some reason, while the one @ WL seems "grander". Like I said - love them both, but that's how they make me feel, personally. AKL seems intimate and like it's "hugging" me, WL inspires me, and feelings "soaring", if that makes any sense.

And yes - was am excellent article you wrote about HAE/Wishes!

Last edited:
Great updates. Sad I wasn't able to join you for the afternoon events, but it looks like all of you had a great time. I have to agree that Happily Ever After is a worthy replacement for Wishes.

Great update! The weather scared me away and I skipped out on the fireworks of course but it looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

I can't believe it took me so long to find this-can't wait to catch up and read about your latest adventures!

:welcome: Hope you enjoy it!

Loved being along (thank you again!) both through the trip report, and as a fLattie! <wink> I also take boat rides whenever I can when @ WDW (or anywhere else, for that matter) - so pretty, unique views, relaxing. Love the shirt on you, I know you were pretty much psyched about finding one that "matched" your Trader Sam's Day - I wear/buy certain shirts for certain things too - we are kindred spirits, even though MANY do not understand me. LOL

Don't drink anymore, but have always been intrigued by the sound of that Black Cherry Mule, and that's probably what I would have ordered. Sorry to hear the burgers were not good, that's probably what I would have gotten too. Love WL's lobby, and the whole resort. I find that, and the lobby of AK similar, but somehow different. Love both, but the one at AKL seems "darker" and yet "cozier" to me for some reason, while the one @ WL seems "grander". Like I said - love them both, but that's how they make me feel, personally. AKL seems intimate and like it's "hugging" me, WL inspires me, and feelings "soaring", if that makes any sense.

And yes - was am excellent article you wrote about HAE/Wishes!

I agree - I think the boats are a great way to slow down for a minute too and enjoy the moment and getting to see WDW from a different view point

I definitely get what you are saying about the lobbies of the two resorts. Though I think that big wall of windows out the back of the SKL lobby brightens it up for me and invtes you to explore more ... I don't know - I think they both fit the resorts very well and are both great

Great updates. Sad I wasn't able to join you for the afternoon events, but it looks like all of you had a great time. I have to agree that Happily Ever After is a worthy replacement for Wishes.

Thanks - obviously hard to fit in everything and every meet (official or "un"official) - I think overall it worked out well.

Great update! The weather scared me away and I skipped out on the fireworks of course but it looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Thank you Ryan! I think we did have fun and I am glad it worked out and that we got a good view of HAE from the TTC ferry dock. And being right there it worked out well to get to EPCOT (I know there was some talk of watching them from the Poly beach and then walking to the TTC but I think we made the right call - or, at least, I was less stressed about timing with being right at the TTC)

Wow, that really did take you a while to get from Pop to Wilderness Lodge..how frustrating! You got some great photos from the boat though.

Sounds like a great time at Geyser Point!

Trader Sams always looks so fun! Glad you enjoyed your drinks.

Great fireworks pics! I've always wanted to see the fireworks from the TTC..maybe one day!

Wow that was a lengthy trek from POP to Geyser Springs :sad2:
All the meets you got to have must have been so much fun.
I'm glad you were able to take a car over to the Poly. Thanks for the videos of the various drink presentations :rotfl:
My favorite is with the inner tube and spray bottle :rotfl2:
Glad you like HEA we very much enjoyed it as well.
Now you can make new memories with the kids watching HEA :goodvibes

So much to catch up on, I'm just going to jump right into it.

so I had to get in the long line for bag check (they only had 2 lanes open) and then was "randomly" selected to go through the metal detector, just so I could then get to the boat launches to leave the area. So that was a bit frustrating and took some more time.

That sucks that it took so long for you to get there. It also sucks that you were randomly selected for extra security. I can't believe that they would think a grown man traveling by himself would be suspicious. :rotfl2: Just joking! I couldn't help myself!

04_Slefie%20on%20boat.jpg

Does this shirt have Chewbacca on it?! If so, I must know where you got it. My husband needs one immediately!!

Also love the nod to Ariel for the evening!

But were there, at one of my favorite resorts at WDW (and my dream location to stay one day) - the Polynesian!

This is one of my dream stays as well! It's actually a bit because of you! After reading your last TR and seeing your drinks and fun at Poly during the mega meet I became inspired to visit the resort while my husband and I were on our "Say Goodbye to Wishes" trip back in May. We had been there before to eat at Kona but it was going under so much refurb that it didn't really catch my eye. So we went back and ate at Capt. Cooks and roamed the resort a bit and I decided that one day, we will definitely stay there....one day. Literally it'll probably be a week at a mod with one day at Poly. Lol! But it'll happen!

There were a lot of drinks being ordered in the room that involved ceremonies and the server this evening were really into it so it was a lot of fun. One of my favorites was for the Tiki-tiki-tiki-rum which involved the server wearing a swim ring tube and spraying the crowd with water

Seeing this place even more makes me determined to experience it. I'm definitely going to Trader Sam's when I go back next October. It'll be a kid free trip for F&W at EP so it'll be easier to make it over there. It's so great that you added another cup to your collection too.

I knew I wasn't having a n MK day this trip

This breaks my heart for you. :sad1:

I must admit that I was a bit sad when I heard they were replacing Wishes do to all the wonderful memories I have of watching it with my family (and I love the line "See what a little wishing can do?") but I have to say I think they did an amazing job with this show and it is a worthy replacement.

I am still in mourning over the loss of Wishes. I think that HEA will take a few viewings for me to become attached to. Perhaps I'll watch it on YouTube sometime soon. It was a bit of a rough experience trying to watch it our last trip (but I'll discuss that more in my TR instead of here) so I'm sure I'll form an attachment to it.

I actually read your article before I even knew it was your article! Well done sir!

I'm excited that we are approaching the party!

so I had to get in the long line for bag check (they only had 2 lanes open) and then was "randomly" selected to go through the metal detector, just so I could then get to the boat launches to leave the area. So that was a bit frustrating and took some more time.
I feel your pain about being "randomly" selected. I entered Epcot via the International Gateway one midafternoon. Security had me out numbered about 7 to 1. After bag check I hear "Excuse me sir, you have been randomly selected..." I looked at the guy, exaggerated look over both shoulders (I was the only one there), and replied "Randomly??" o_O :drinking: I'll give him credit for at least appearing embarrassed at using that line!

I feel your pain about being "randomly" selected. I entered Epcot via the International Gateway one midafternoon. Security had me out numbered about 7 to 1. After bag check I hear "Excuse me sir, you have been randomly selected..." I looked at the guy, exaggerated look over both shoulders (I was the only one there), and replied "Randomly??" o_O :drinking: I'll give him credit for at least appearing embarrassed at using that line!
I have never gone through the International Gateway without being required to go through security. So, I find it strange that the security guard even told you that you were "randomly" selected lol.

Wow, that really did take you a while to get from Pop to Wilderness Lodge..how frustrating! You got some great photos from the boat though.

Sounds like a great time at Geyser Point!

Trader Sams always looks so fun! Glad you enjoyed your drinks.

Great fireworks pics! I've always wanted to see the fireworks from the TTC..maybe one day!

I knew it could take a while to go from resort to resort but it was longer than I expected and I think I just got frustrated about the security as I wasn't going to the park so why do I need to get my bag checked, etc.? I am glad I got on the boat though as it was a nice ride.

Trader Sam's definitely is fun - especially with a group!

I had hear that was a good spot to watch the Fireworks so I am glad we got to do it!

Wow that was a lengthy trek from POP to Geyser Springs :sad2:
All the meets you got to have must have been so much fun.
I'm glad you were able to take a car over to the Poly. Thanks for the videos of the various drink presentations :rotfl:
My favorite is with the inner tube and spray bottle :rotfl2:
Glad you like HEA we very much enjoyed it as well.
Now you can make new memories with the kids watching HEA :goodvibes

Yeah, just the waiting for the right bus and then the security line made it pretty frustrating - the actual travel time (e.g., the time spent actually in motion) wasn't too bad

yeah, that was my favorite service action as well - and it started at first by feeling a spray of water and thinking "what the heck was that?!?!?!" and then seeing the server come out like that was pretty funny

Definitely! I know a lot of my emotional connection to Wishes is from memories of being there with my family (same thing for why, so far, I like Dream Along with Mickey more than the new Castle show) - but I think they did a great job with HAE and have enjoyed even just watching videos with my kids of it

So much to catch up on, I'm just going to jump right into it.
That sucks that it took so long for you to get there. It also sucks that you were randomly selected for extra security. I can't believe that they would think a grown man traveling by himself would be suspicious. :rotfl2: Just joking! I couldn't help myself!

Does this shirt have Chewbacca on it?! If so, I must know where you got it. My husband needs one immediately!!

Also love the nod to Ariel for the evening!

This is one of my dream stays as well! It's actually a bit because of you! After reading your last TR and seeing your drinks and fun at Poly during the mega meet I became inspired to visit the resort while my husband and I were on our "Say Goodbye to Wishes" trip back in May. We had been there before to eat at Kona but it was going under so much refurb that it didn't really catch my eye. So we went back and ate at Capt. Cooks and roamed the resort a bit and I decided that one day, we will definitely stay there....one day. Literally it'll probably be a week at a mod with one day at Poly. Lol! But it'll happen!

Seeing this place even more makes me determined to experience it. I'm definitely going to Trader Sam's when I go back next October. It'll be a kid free trip for F&W at EP so it'll be easier to make it over there. It's so great that you added another cup to your collection too.

This breaks my heart for you. :sad1:

I am still in mourning over the loss of Wishes. I think that HEA will take a few viewings for me to become attached to. Perhaps I'll watch it on YouTube sometime soon. It was a bit of a rough experience trying to watch it our last trip (but I'll discuss that more in my TR instead of here) so I'm sure I'll form an attachment to it.

I actually read your article before I even knew it was your article! Well done sir!

I'm excited that we are approaching the party!

seriously! What looks suspicious about me?!?!?! ;)

The shirt does have Chewbacca on it - as well as the Millennium Falcon ... I believe I got it at Khols

Aw, that's great to hear that my TR motivated you to visit the Poly. I think that might be how we do it if ever is one or two nights as part of a longer trip!

As, should have mentioned that I actually didn't get the mug from Trader Sam's (largely due to then having to have to carry it around and in my luggage) - but some day!

I agree about the attachment feeling to Wishes vs HAE - but I am sure people felt the same way about Wishes when it replaced Fantasy in the Sky in 2003. At least they did a good job with the new show and it still has a ton of fireworks (I know a lot of people were worried about them skimping out on the fireworks if it was so projection heavy)

Thank you - glad you enjoyed the article!

I know - I think they should just do what they do at Universal and have everyone go through and just make it a smoother process - maybe one line for people with kids/strollers, etc.

That was the worst we had a few trips ago where we had all 3 kids with us and we got told by security that both myself and my wife had to go through the metal detectors and to "just leave your kids there" ... um, no - I am not just leaving my kids. So we had to take turns where I went first and then I came back to the kids and then my wife went

I have never gone through the International Gateway without being required to go through security. So, I find it strange that the security guard even told you that you were "randomly" selected lol.

I think they do pick a lot of people that are solo or just adults - so I honestly wasn't surprised at all, more annoyed. That part was actually pretty quick, it was the bag check part that took a while

There were a number already there who had already ordered their drinks. We then moved to a larger table (actually, pushed a few together as there aren't really large tables there) and had our server take a picture of our group (although we had a fail in that @katmu showed up later and we didn't get a new picture)

I hate that I missed the first stop of the night! This group was so much fun!

but GAN was eyeing the Uh-Oa! (which is designed for more than one person) so I agreed to share that with him as I was interested in trying it at some point. I have to day - it was really tasty - nice mix of flavors and would definitely get it again

I have a great photo of you two drinking it! I will add it as soon as I can get my computer up and running!

There were a lot of drinks being ordered in the room that involved ceremonies and the server this evening were really into it so it was a lot of fun. One of my favorites was for the Tiki-tiki-tiki-rum which involved the server wearing a swim ring tube and spraying the crowd with water (you can see @katmu (Kat - who ordered one of these drinks) and @PrncessA, Sara, getting sprayed in this .gif)

This was my favorite bit too. It was a fun crowd in Trader Sam's that night! As you can see in the gif I was videoing this and I love the video! It is coming up in my TR.

So I got one of those - and got it "extra spikey" which involves a 151 floater on the top

Love this shot!!

Agreed. The way he said it he may as well have been reading it from a script. And apparently the script did not say to use a little common sense!

I hate that I missed the first stop of the night! This group was so much fun!

I have a great photo of you two drinking it! I will add it as soon as I can get my computer up and running!

This was my favorite bit too. It was a fun crowd in Trader Sam's that night! As you can see in the gif I was videoing this and I love the video! It is coming up in my TR.

Love this shot!!

Glad you joined for at least part of it - I think we had a really good group at Trader Sam's especially!

Ah - will love to see that picture!

Thank you! Pretty happy with it considering my cheapo point-and-shoot and being all the way across the lagoon

I'd suggest looking into renting DVC points ...you may be able to stay a few days that way. And I promise, you'll be glad you did. I can't overstate how enjoyable it was -the pools, service, rooms ...just a great stay!

Part 22: It's Party Time
Thursday June 1st 9:30pm - 10:30pm

After enjoying our viewing of Happily Ever After we hightailed it to the EPCOT monorail line to take the monorail to the DIS 20th Party - don't we look excited #badselfiewarning

01_Waiting%20for%20Monorail.jpg

One of my favorite things about taking the monorail to EPCOT is how it circles the park before you get to the station (sort of like previewing your visit). And this time we could see some of the DHS fireworks going on in the background as well

02_SSE%20from%20monorail.jpg

SSE%20Fireworks.gif

We got through security and had them check our badges, etc. and got in with the mass of people waiting for the gates to open. It was all pretty orderly - but you could sense a lot of excitement in the air. Also spotted a number of people I had seen earlier on my stay so it was nice to just see familiar faces. So this is roughtly what a 1,000 DISers waiting to get in looks like #bluryphotowarning

03_Crowd%20waiting%20to%20get%20in.jpg

And then at just a few minutes past 10 it was open and we were in! And the excitement level was very high at this point - but also a lot of scrambling of people trying to get to different areas and just see how it would be set up, etc.

04_Walking%20towards%20SSE.jpg

Walking%20into%20EPCOT.gif

We didn't have a ton of plans on what to do but I had mentioned one of my goals was to get on Test Track at least once since I have never ridden it (I know, bad DISer) and a bunch of others were up for that so we headed there first

05_Test%20Track%20front.jpg
06_Inside%20Test%20Track%20line.jpg

They had one line go through one room if they wanted to create a car and one that was for people that just wanted to get on the ride and not do the pre-show stuff. We opted to make a car:

07_my%20car.jpg

The Flatties would be joining us. And then we were off!

08_Flatties%20preparing%20to%20board.jpg
09_ready%20to%20go.jpg

So what did I think? While I thought Dinosaur (the other ride I hadn't ridden before this trip) underwhelmed (other than the ride vehicle) - but this I loved! I thought it was really neat and just a fun ride (the Tron-grid was a little silly, but still fun). Wish I had seen the original version to be able to compare but I really liked it and hope to take my family on it in the future.

Next we decided to head to the Land where they had all the food set up

Part 23: The Land and arriving at the show
Thursday June 1st 10:30pm - 11:10pm

Because of the weather they decided to move all the food inside as well as the concert (that was originally to be by the Fountain of Nations). So we decided to head that way and also get a ride on Soarin' In the entrance way they had the DIS 20th cake! And we saw Kevin and John down below (they were getting a lot of shoutouts)

01_DIS%2020th%20cake.jpg
02_Kevin%20and%20John.jpg

The one food item I really wanted to try was the donuts with flambéed whisky cherries - the photo is terrible but they did not disappoint! Also grabbed a beer (cash bar) at this point and some ice tea (they had drinks like that for free) and a piece of cake to take with me

03_Donuts%20cherries%20and%20ice%20cream.jpg

At this point we realized it was about 20 mins already to when Jodi Benson was going to perform so we decided to head there - it was being held in the World Showplace - which is the building behind the United Kingdom Pavilion and is where I believe they have Party for the Senses and things like that. Definitely had that feeling of a special party/VIP getting to go through the gates to this area

04_Entrance%20to%20theater.jpg
05_Inside%20building.jpg
06_DIS%2020th%20sign.jpg

At this point a lot of the front seats were filled (we heard some people basically went straight here to get the best seats. There were still scattered seats but we decided to camp out at some high-top tables right behind the seats that gave us a good view (and something to put our cake down on). @WebmasterJackie was at the table next to us so it was good to see her again). View we had: #anotherterribleselfie

07_View%20of%20stage.jpg

First Kevin and Pete came out to do the intro and just talk about how amazing it was to be there - Pete definitely was getting emotional ... I mean, to think of how this started with creating a website/forum and has become so big that they could have this event. He came closer to us later during Jodi Benson's performance and he was in tears by that point. He also had a heck of a stylish shirt on that I could never pull off ;)
08_Pete%20and%20John%20on%20stage.jpg

The Flatties were excited to take it all in
02_Flatties%20with%20Pete%20and%20Kevin.jpg

Coming up - Jodi Benson Performs!

Part 24: Jodi Benson performs!
Thursday June 1st 11:10pm - 11:57pm

The Jodi Benson came on - and she was such a delight. She seems so happy to be where she is and just like a genuine person. In between songs she would just chat and just seems like a down to earth person and talked about her kids (who were in the crowd) and how proud she was of their accomplishments, etc.

05_JB%20with%20DIS%2020th.jpg
04_JB%201.jpg

The Flatties were very excited

06_Flatties%20with%20BJ.jpg

Some closeups - the third one is one of my favorite shots from the trip:

07_JB%20close%201.jpg
08_JB%20close%202.jpg
09_JB%20close%203.jpg

She did a mix of songs - mostly Disney. She started with a song from Beauty and the Beast and did the "Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas. She did a song from Toy Story as well (She also wa/is the voice of Barbie in the Toy Story movies). She also did a song from a Broadway show called "Smile" she had done as a child - which was when she was discovered and from which she was approached about auditioning to be the voice of the Little Mermaid. The name of the song was "Disneyland" and it was tremendous - actually the highlight of the show for me. Below is a youtube of her performing the song at the Hollywood Bowl with a full orchestra if you are interested (in the video she also tells a bit of the story she told this night about getting the key to Disneyland, etc.)

And of course, she closed with singing some of the Little Mermaid - doing Part of Your World. Which, seeing The Little Mermaid singing that mere yards away from you with a group of huge Disney fans is certainly something I will remember forever

I took some video and made a few gifs out of it. In the first one she is singing "Disneyland" and in the second it is "Part of Your World"

JB%20Disneyland.gif
JB%20Part%20of%20Your%20World.gif

All together the show took nearly an hour and was just wonderful. really hard to explain the feelings as the show was going on and after - just had the sense that it was something special.

Though then someone mentioned we should get outside as Illuminations would be starting - at the time we didn't realize how long the show ran ... so we headed out quickly

On the way I did stop to get a picture of Flatty Heidi with her favorite, Sorcerer Mickey that was being projected above

10_Flattie%20Heidi%20with%20Sorcerer%20Mickey.jpg

Coming up next - Illuminations, some more fun with DISers and a recap on the night as a whole!

TTFN

After enjoying our viewing of Happily Ever After we hightailed it to the EPCOT monorail line to take the monorail to the DIS 20th Party - don't we look excited #badselfiewarning
01_Waiting%20for%20Monorail.jpg

I will remember this monorail ride forever! I can still feel the excitement building as we were all headed to the party!

And then at just a few minutes past 10 it was open and we were in! And the excitement level was very high at this point - but also a lot of scrambling of people trying to get to different areas and just see how it would be set up, etc.
04_Walking%20towards%20SSE.jpg

I couldn't believe how many people were there!!

So what did I think? While I thought Dinosaur (the other ride I hadn't ridden before this trip) underwhelmed (other than the ride vehicle) - but this I loved! I thought it was really neat and just a fun ride (the Tron-grid was a little silly, but still fun). Wish I had seen the original version to be able to compare but I really liked it and hope to take my family on it in the future.

This is a must do for my son on every pass through Epcot.

First Kevin and Pete came out to do the intro and just talk about how amazing it was to be there - Pete definitely was getting emotional ... I mean, to think of how this started with creating a website/forum and has become so big that they could have this event. He came closer to us later during Jodi Benson's performance and he was in tears by that point. He also had a heck of a stylish shirt on that I could never pull off ;)
08_Pete%20and%20John%20on%20stage.jpg

I got emotional listening to them!

The Flatties were excited to take it all in
02_Flatties%20with%20Pete%20and%20Kevin.jpg

The flatties are covering me up! I am sitting right behind Heidi!

And of course, she closed with singing some of the Little Mermaid - doing Part of Your World. Which, seeing The Little Mermaid singing that mere yards away from you with a group of huge Disney fans is certainly something I will remember forever

She was AMAZING!

Glad you finally got to try Test Track and that you enjoyed it! Seeing Jodi Benson really must have been an incredible opportunity! Sounds like you were having a great time at the party thus far!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter