5/18 Magic Part Three

grlzmom

DIS Veteran
On to the Islands :)

St. Martten Day. Well, thanks to all the great info from the dis boards we decided to be bold and book a charter boat on our own. We went with Aquamania adventures, got a wonderful boat (actually meant to seat 40 people), the Santino, a great captain Horace and had an incredible day. The water that day was definately rough but he knew where to take us for the perfect snorkeling and swimming. All equipment provided, french bread, gouda cheese, sodas, beer and wine. Full day from 9-3. For all seven of us plus my mother and father in law it was 600 bucks. Seems pricey but definately as reasonable as a disney excursion for each of us. The captain met us at Great Bay Marina. Took us to the french side to a nice protected reef for snorkeling, dropped us at a local chicken/rib place for lunch and then a beautiful beach for swimming. Had appropriate sized life vests and snorkel equipment for the little ones, and Horace took them into the water himself so we could relax. Lots of fish :) Stopped in one store and bought cute tropical outfits for the girls to wear for tropical night (five bucks each and adorable)

St. Thomas day. We decided to get a taxi and head to Megans bay. Incredible day. We went early, got there by 9:30, rented one chair, one float, had lunch at the grill and headed back to the boat around 1pm or so. All total with taxi and stuff under a hundred bucks. The water was incredible and not very crowded on the beach. Werent alot of cruise ships in that day. Definately recommend Megans Bay.

So busy seeing everything on these two islands, missed out on shopping completely, boo hoo for that one.

And, finally Castaway Key. Wonderful, incredible, just as I hoped it would be. We knew to send one person off the boat quick to get our chairs and stuff and that worked out perfect. Dh got a wonderful spot with chairs/umbrellas/hammock very close to cookies/bathrooms and stuff. I waited and got off the boat about half an hour later with the kiddos. Good thing we did it that way, heard lots of complaints from families who stood backed up in the hallways and on staircases during the mad rush off. Girls did banana boat ride, loved it. Definately wear your swim goggles. Didnt do the snorkel trail since they got enough of that on the other islands. Food at cookies was good and plentiful. The fruit was the best part (and dont miss the chocolate chip cookies). The little ones went into the club on the island for about an hour because they wanted to play with the other kiddos. They really enjoyed all the water games. Stayed on the beach all day, really sad to get back on that boat.

We were very aggressive with the sunscreen all week and no one got even a hint of burn. Take some scalp spray or q tips to put sunblock between the braids. There were some sad little girls with red heads on the boat.

Our dining rotation was aplapla and that worked out great. I must admit was a little panicked about packing the right clothes. And, was surprised to see everyone much more underdressed than I anticipated on the seven night cruise. Maybe it was just early dining but there didnt seem to be alot of tuxes or suits for that matter. Saw several people in shorts EVERY NIGHT and maybe they should have been at topsiders buffet?

The girls loved the shows, we did too and could sit through them all more than once (and looking forward to doing that next year on the western)

We packed light and found the laundry room to be no problem (if you get there early). Brought laundry tablets with me, shout wipes and wrinkle release spray all of which were a big help.

Also got to experience the ships doctor when lil pumpkin got an ear infection. Since dh is a doc and I am an RN wasnt too impressed with the fact that she prescribed the amoxicillin for four times a day at twice the dose she should get for her weight. Anyways, easily straightened out and not worth brooding over. Grand total 150 with meds.

Disembark was a piece of cake and kudos to disney for such a good system. Spent the night after at Animal kingdom lodge to ease our way back to reality.

Dont know what else I've forgotten but feel free to ask me any questions. All in all we loved it, looking forward to doing it again next year (maybe even later this year).

Thanks for all the help/support in planning this trip

grlzmom

Were the grandparents on the cruise with you? Did you share staterooms? We are bringing my Mom with us on the June 29th
Magic. We also have 5 kids but older than yours, ages 10 to 18 plus we are bringing 2 extra teens along. If the grandparents were on the cruise, did they like it??

Is the company you used to charter the boat on the internet? It
sounds like what we had in mind for St. Maarten.

Leslie

Leslie,

Aquamania is on the web, thats where I found them. They emailed pics of the boat and all before we booked. Yes grandparents shared with us which worked out fine since we were never really in the rooms at the same time. They liked it, but definately not as much as we did. A little too noisy (kiddos everywhere) for them. Grandmom pretty much stayed on deck reading somewhere which worked out fine.

jeanne

Hi,

Their favorite activities in the lab tended to be in the evenings after dinner time.

In particular, they loved the night they all went up on deck and were told true ghost/lost ship stories. Enjoyed that alot. They also loved the private swim party at mickey pool (also late at night). Also there was one evening where boys were separated from girls and they did "girlie" makeover type things.

They liked checking out common grounds when the group did that in the mornings too. Pretty much every night around ten they had pizza parties.

If they participate in one main activity a day during the entire cruise they get a surprise at the end (they got a hat and loved it).

My girls couldnt have been happier with the lab. Always someone to hang with and something to do :)

grlzmom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter