5/18 Eastern trip report Part 1

tlt

Mouseketeer
We just returned from our 1st Disney cruise. We researched these Boards everyday for 3 months prior to our trip and they helped us plan tremendously. We have cruised 4 times before...2 times with Carnival and 2 times with Royal Caribbean(RC twice this past year).

We drove to Port Canaveral from Charleston, SC. Got to the Port around 10:30 and there were a lot more people there than we expected by that time. We got in line to register which took about 30min. Then walked around and checked out the terminal, then stood in line to Board. While in line we figured out when we were going to make Ressies for Palo brunch, tea and dinner. Our dinning assignment was LAP (just me and my husband, so we figured that was what we would get). Dave's website helped greatly with menus and Navigators, so we knew the menus and plans for each day...it was easy to figure out when we wanted to do Palo. His site is www.dcltribute.com

They allowed us onboard around 12:40...we went straight to Palo and made ressies for Brunch, tea and dinner...there were about 30 people in line in front of us, but it only took 2 minutes and we were out of there. Be sure and know when you want to do Palo and it goes quick. Most people had no idea what days they wanted to go, so they had to get out of line and make decisions. Palo filled up for dinner, brunch and tea by Sat. afternoon, so make ressies early. Other people at out dining table were put on a waiting list to try to get in Palo, but they never got called back.

After Palo ressies, we went to Topsiders for the Buffet...great food and desserts (tiramasu). We were allowed in our room by 1:30. We had Cat. 12 (cheapest) and it was the nicest cruise room we have ever stayed in. Much larger than our other cruises. Only complaint was thin walls and our neighbors had a toddler and we heard him crying and fussing all the time...we even heard the parents yelling and fussing at him constantly...you can hear every word and their TV if it is up even slightly too loud. The over- the-door shoe bag was a wonderful suggestion and saved us lots of counter space and kept us neat and organized. Extension cord came in handy for my hairdrier...there are plugs right by the mirror, but the plug is snug to the counter and my big hairdrier plug wouldn't fit in it because it was too close.

The boat drill went smoothly and was over within 20minutes for us. We went on deck for the sail away party and by then it was 6:15. We had late seating (8:30) so our show time was 6:30...we missed the Welcome Aboard show because time just got away from us.

Sat. dinner was Lumieres (casual dress) for us with the Lumieres menu. Loved the appetizer Fried Camembert(cheese), husband had garlic beef tenderloin and I had Herb Sea Bass...both were excellent. Grand Marnier Souffle for dessert with Vanilla Sauce...one of the best desserts we have ever had!!

Sunday at Sea-We did Palo Brunch @ 11am -$10 per person, plus we tipped....it was awesome. Huge buffet at 1st with shrimp, crab legs, cheeses, breads, dips, fruits, etc, etc, etc. One free glass of champaign. Then you can order a fresh pizza and main dish...I had Talapia, husband had steak...both excellent. Huge dessert buffet, plus they have a fruit/vanilla pizza you can special order...it was great, plus we had tiramasu...wonderful!! We did the $12 wine tasting Sun. afternoon...3 white wines, 2 red wines, 1 champaign, neat wine tasting pin. Very informative. We also did the Art of Entertaining @ 10am on the "at sea" days...they prepare a meal for you...Sun. was appetizer, Mon. was dessert, Thurs. was entree...all with a glass of wine. On Thurs. you get a ticket to do a 3pm galley/kitchen tour which was neat. Show Sun. nite was Hercules...best if you've seen the movie...we didn't think it was good...didn't live up to Disney's other shows/parks in our opinion...wouldn't see it again. Sun nite is formal nite for everyone with the Master Chef menu...we were in Animators Palate...loved the shrimp and lobster spring roll appetizer, I had Mahi-Mahi, DH had steak, chocolate coffee tarts for dessert...all excellent!!

Monday at Sea- We hung out by the pools, did the AOE again, saw Snow Dogs in the Theater...cute. Went to Palo Tea @ 3pm...very nice...no charge...we left a tip. You get to choose a tea from about 10 kinds (I had Lemon Verbena, DH had Cinnamon), they bring it to you - loose leafs in a pot of hot water and tea strainer. Finger sandwiches and several different desserts they bring to you...scones, eclairs, trifle, etc. We didn't see the show Mon. nite because we didn't care for Hercules the previous nite and Mon. was Morty the Magnificant which had bad reviews on this board. We took our own wine onboard in a collapsable cooler, so we ordered up the "All Hands on Deck" cheese and cracker tray from room service before dinner...it was great. We did this 3 nights and tipped $2 each time. One night we also ordered the chicken tenders...we read such great things about them...they are great...we asked about them during the galley tour and Disney gets them frozen in huge boxes...they sure taste freshly made though. Dinner Monday for us was in Parrot Cay. loved the appetizer Island seafood salad, coconut prawns, pot stickers, I had grouper, DH had Strip loin...all excellent. Dessert I had banana flambe (ok...too much rum though), DH had Kalhua trifle (good). There was a huge dessert midnight buffet which is neat to see, but after eating it, we felt yucky...way too sweet, but worth going to...food was good, but overwhelming...bring camera.
Part 2 to follow later...

Ok please keep it coming - sounds like you were very busy - what did you do on the islands? Any recommendations? pros/cons?
We're on the Disney Magic Eastern in 6 months!!!

I have been researching these boards for awhile and now that our Eastern cruise is coming up on Saturday I'm getting sooo excited!!:Pinkbounc
Reading others' trip reports so valuable, especially right before you are to leave.
Can't wait for the rest of your report.

We were also on the 5/18 Magic, late seating, LAPLAPL. We were seated at table 37.

We missed Hercules, but saw Morty. I enjoyed it, my DH did not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter