40 Attractions to Celebrate My 40th Birthday! ***6 days to go PTR update and how many emails?***

Enjoying your trip report! So nice that your son was patient to wait to play with the Legos while you and Grandma shopped (and vice versa - while you waited with him to play with Legos after you shopped)! We haven't visited Disney Springs since the remodel so anxious to stop at all of the stores. We'll definitely have to split up our group so the kids have a chance to shop with either their parent or grandparent (and for me to shop for surprise gifts!).

:welcome: Yes, Alex can be very polite at times. I think it bodes well. No 8 year old should have perfect behavior!

Morgan just turned 9 and it is... She seems closer to a crabby pre-teen and less to a little kid. Makes me want to cry! :sad:

Looks like a nice evening! I am kind of afraid to do Mission Space. I want to try it but I also don't want to feel yucky for the rest of the day.

Oh we have plenty of pre-teen moments. We are just getting through it together. I remember it being pretty tough to be a kid sometimes.

As for mission space, I don't feel any spinning at all on the green (really didn't feel "spinning" on orange either-just pressure). The screen is right in front of you and you can't see much else but I don't get motion sick so I'm not sure if it would cause symptoms. Definitely try green though. If it means anything, my mom will ride green and she won't do big thunder, star tours, space mountain, EE, etc.

Definitely try green though. If it means anything, my mom will ride green and she won't do big thunder, star tours, space mountain, EE, etc.
Thanks! I might have to try in Sept. I would like a few of my 40 attractions for turning 40 to be new. And I think we will have a bunch!

How is Alex doing with his planning for your summer trip? Is he going to try and do the 9 attractions a day for his birthday? You could totally sneak in some mini Pre-Trip Reporting in here. I am sure everyone would' mind! ;)

Mini August PTR--as requested by @StarWarsMomofGirls!

OK. Here goes.... I am a big disney planner, especially for our summer trips. There's a good reason for this. Alex spends most of the school year living with me but switches to spending most of the summer with his dad in the suburbs. It gets lonely around here so between my frequent trips to sit by the pool and lounge around my seemingly always clean house (there is an upside to Alex spending the summer with his dad... but I would give it all up in a second), I plan disney trips. It's important to me (and to Alex) that he have a great and close relationship with his dad but I have to remind myself of that every day when he is gone and Disney planning seems to make it easier. This year has been particularly bad because they had a big vacation for a family reunion back to back with a wedding (my ex is remarried and they have a whole bunch of kids over there now) so Alex has spent a total of two non-consecutive nights and one half day here since the end of school (June 9th). His first whole weekend with me isn't until next weekend! Needless to say, he has not had too much to say about the planning in the last month but he was in on all of the details from the very beginning. And I'm thinking of adding a little surprise in and would like your input.

The biggest benefit of going to Disney for me is that I can easily keep everyone happy (me, my mom, and Alex) so we plan mornings and evenings but leave break time in the afternoon. FPP are usually scheduled for the morning park and we can add extras in the evening after we use the first ones. I don't like to plan out everything down to the minute because, for us, it loses some spontaneity but I frequently make sample touring plans (on that other website) to see how much we can reasonably expect to do in a given amount of time, or to have a heads up of what wait times will be like when we are planning to be in the parks. This helps me to set expectations. Nothing is worse than promising something you cant deliver to a kid or a grandma. I'll give you the W's then show my version of "the spreadsheet". Mine is actually made on power point because its pretty that way and keeps me from adding too much detail! Ha!

Who: me, Alex, & Grandma Missie (for part of the trip)

What, When & Where: August 13-17 Poly Garden View Club Level (just me and Alex), August 17-23 Beach Club Standard Club Level (grandma joining on the 17th), August 23-26 PRotofino Bay Club Level (our first Universal Trip and GM is staying for that too)

Why: Alex's birthday is in August just before the trip and we celebrate at Disney. Plus, it's a chance for me to look forward to lots of Alex time at the end of a long summer. Plus, the crowds are a bit lighter because many kids are back in school (Alex doesn't start until after Labor Day). Why Universal? Because Alex is tall enough and brave enough now and he's big into Harry Potter so it is time! PLus, our annual passes end on 8/23 and I wanted us to go away a bit longer. Why always bringing Grandma Missie? Because grandmas don't get enough time with their Grandkids and we love going to Disney together.

Now: the plan as it stands today...

IMG_0792 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_0793 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

We plan on going directly to Universal on 8/23 in the morning and doing Volcano Bay that day. We have three day park to park tickets at Universal and I think that should be plenty of time to see everything and do Volcano Bay, especially since we will have Express Pass.

Now, I just realized there will bea MNSSHP on 8/25. That is our last night in Orlando. Our annual passes will be expired but grandma Missie's will not. We could buy tickets to MNSSHP for that night (I don't think there's really much going on at Universal in the evenings) and Uber over for the party. Alex and I went once before and it is my very favorite thing to do at Disney. I was thinking of making it a surprise for him. What do you guys think? Worth it? I think I can imagine your answers since I'm asking on the disboards and all but there's nothing like peer approval to make me give Disney my credit card number! Grandma Missie is all for it.

OH- and for the trip planning pictures there is a key to the colors. pink is MK, yellow Epcot, purple DHS, and green AK. Beach club is always blue and poly is orange for this. I'm sure you could figure that out but just in case :) Also, dinner starts at the CL and then we just get any other snacks or QS we want out at the parks. We like a sit down (air conditioned) lunch in the summers which frees up evening (cooler) park touring time.

Last edited:

Mini August PTR--as requested by @StarWarsMomofGirls!
YEAH!!!!!!

His first whole weekend with me isn't until next weekend! Needless to say, he has not had too much to say about the planning in the last month but he was in on all of the details from the very beginning. And I'm thinking of adding a little surprise in and would like your input.
I can't image how hard that must be! I when the girls go to my moms for a couple days the house feels so empty!

I love the idea of a surprise, especially since Alex is usually so involved in the planning. I think it will be super fun.

Mine is actually made on power point because its pretty that way and keeps me from adding too much detail! Ha!
I try to add too much stuff. I start off nice a neat and get messy.

Poly Garden View Club Level
We stayed at the Poly the first time. We loved it. I would love to go back one time..

Beach Club Standard Club Level
Your favorite!!!

PRotofino Bay Club Level (our first Universal Trip and GM is staying for that too)
We have not done anything over at Universal. I will love to hear how you guys like it. Volcano bay looks pretty cool. Def want to do that at some point!

Plus, it's a chance for me to look forward to lots of Alex time at the end of a long summer.
It must make the trips so memorable.

I was thinking of making it a surprise for him. What do you guys think? Worth it?
Ahh Def! We haven't done a MNSSHP yet, but we have tickets for our trip in September and super excited about it. But like I said above, some sort of surprise would be awesome! I say for for it. Plus the last night of vacation! A great way to finish!

As for your plans, they look great! Have you done the luau before? Kona is really great food, it's like the ugly step child to Ohana. It's just doesn't get as much love as it's neighbor.

Looks like a good plan for the summer trip! Club level looks amazing. Love how accommodating Disney is for food allergies/issues!

YEAH!!!!!!

I can't image how hard that must be! I when the girls go to my moms for a couple days the house feels so empty!

I love the idea of a surprise, especially since Alex is usually so involved in the planning. I think it will be super fun.

I try to add too much stuff. I start off nice a neat and get messy.

We stayed at the Poly the first time. We loved it. I would love to go back one time..

Your favorite!!!

We have not done anything over at Universal. I will love to hear how you guys like it. Volcano bay looks pretty cool. Def want to do that at some point!

It must make the trips so memorable.

Ahh Def! We haven't done a MNSSHP yet, but we have tickets for our trip in September and super excited about it. But like I said above, some sort of surprise would be awesome! I say for for it. Plus the last night of vacation! A great way to finish!

As for your plans, they look great! Have you done the luau before? Kona is really great food, it's like the ugly step child to Ohana. It's just doesn't get as much love as it's neighbor.
We have been to poly before but never club level. We loved Kona for breakfast so I thought we would like it for lunch but it is definitely my softest adr right now. I have a touringplans reservation finder working on bog lunch that day. I think it will be great either way.

We have not done the luau and Alex is really excited for it. I have heard mixed reviews but it will be a special mommy and Alex thing to do.

As for the MNSSHP, I am totally in on it now and have started thinking about costumes. I talked to grandma Missie today and she said we definitely have to do it. No matter what. I just love her. Alex is planning on being Harry Potter for Halloween and we are bringing his robes for universal so that might work for him but it would be great to have t-shirt-based costumes for all of us. The last time we went to MNSSHP it was a surprise for Alex (the was 6) and we just went for a quick weekend. He really wanted to be Olaf that year and had an awesome but very plush costume. This was perfect for Halloween in Chicago but not so great for October in Orlando. He was soooooooo hot and I just know he will be the same in those robes. I think I'm going to have to do some looking on Etsy. It would be great to find t shirts for a set of characters that we could all wear. My vote is for Alice in wonderland (my favorite).

Looks like a good plan for the summer trip! Club level looks amazing. Love how accommodating Disney is for food allergies/issues!

:welcome: Thanks for reading! Disney is, by far, the most accommodating place for food allergies and it makes traveling so much easier! When I go out of the country I always feel like I'm an adventure traveler just by eating even if I'm not doing anything technically "adventurous"

LOVE your summer plans. It sounds like another special bucket list trip! We'll be at the Poly at the same time! (Aug 11-20th). Let me know if you'd like to meet up. I have a lot of DISmeets that week! It's gonna be so much fun and HOT but I'm hoping the fun outweighs the HOT. :)

LOVE your summer plans. It sounds like another special bucket list trip! We'll be at the Poly at the same time! (Aug 11-20th). Let me know if you'd like to meet up. I have a lot of DISmeets that week! It's gonna be so much fun and HOT but I'm hoping the fun outweighs the HOT. :)
Fun always outweighs hot. We go every August and it's not that bad if you are smart about things. We should totally try a quick meetup. We can exchange info closer to the trip and I'm sure we will catch each other by the pool. No need to go crazy out of our way when we are I. The same place!

Fun always outweighs hot. We go every August and it's not that bad if you are smart about things. We should totally try a quick meetup. We can exchange info closer to the trip and I'm sure we will catch each other by the pool. No need to go crazy out of our way when we are I. The same place!

Sounds good! Looking forward to it!

We were headed to an attraction but first we saw a piece of art that was missing some subjects. We joined the picture and the result was cute!

This is awesome. I have never gotten Photopass but am debating it now since it will be just me and DD on our trip and it would be nice to have some pics of us both without having to ask random strangers to take our photo...granted no one ever seems to mind...

We did the behind the seeds tour a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, even Alex and he was only about 6

This looks like a lot of fun and I hope to do this too.

Alex got a strawberry oolong slushy

That sounds really yummy!

And do not miss the huge platter of fresh berries. I felt like a real princess!

Yum!! Too many berries but I would have wanted to try to eat them all!

It's important to me (and to Alex) that he have a great and close relationship with his dad but I have to remind myself of that every day when he is gone and Disney planning seems to make it easier.

Ugh, this sounds really tough and I'm going through it too. So far I've been lucky in that I don't usually go too long without seeing the kids but I'm not sure how it will go longer term.

Nothing is worse than promising something you cant deliver to a kid or a grandma.

Ugh this is so hard. You want to plan and do so much but not overplan...it's a tough balance.

What, When & Where: August 13-17 Poly Garden View Club Level (just me and Alex), August 17-23 Beach Club Standard Club Level (grandma joining on the 17th), August 23-26 PRotofino Bay Club Level (our first Universal Trip and GM is staying for that too)

This sounds fantastic!! And we will be at the CR for some of the time that you are at the Poly and the BC lol..I don't know if you'll have time but we are already trying for some Dismeets :))

This is awesome. I have never gotten Photopass but am debating it now since it will be just me and DD on our trip and it would be nice to have some pics of us both without having to ask random strangers to take our photo...granted no one ever seems to mind...

This looks like a lot of fun and I hope to do this too.

That sounds really yummy!

Yum!! Too many berries but I would have wanted to try to eat them all!

Ugh, this sounds really tough and I'm going through it too. So far I've been lucky in that I don't usually go too long without seeing the kids but I'm not sure how it will go longer term.

Ugh this is so hard. You want to plan and do so much but not overplan...it's a tough balance.

This sounds fantastic!! And we will be at the CR for some of the time that you are at the Poly and the BC lol..I don't know if you'll have time but we are already trying for some Dismeets :))
Diameter for everyone! Stay in touch and we can meet up somewhere if possible!

I felt the same about my PTR. It takes a while of commenting and being around here and then people find you!! But I love reading about peoples' trips. It's fun and always gives me ideas for my upcoming trip...however far off that might be!

This is me! I just found your TR today and read it all the way through. I am enjoying it.

:welcome: Thanks for joining! I love my big kid! He can be somewhat responsible and independent but still loves to snuggle his mom.

I picked your TR for the title and am glad I did. My son was 8 on his first trip to WDW and so I am able to see Alex in the photos and recollect what my own trip was like when my son was 8. He is now 20. But he and my DD will still snuggle up with me on the couch. So, all is good!

There's something about meeting the mouse that always makes me feel as joyful as a kid. Maybe that's why I love Disney so much. That and all the totally awesome details.

This is it exactly! I just remember having a great time at WDW as a kid and it just brings me lots of joy when I go there.

Wow! You and I will definitely have to meet up in the lounge. You've seen our pictures so you'll have to say hello. So glad to find another doc who probably also appreciates that WDW is the exact opposite of the hospital. I never see how any of the magic happens, people around me all seem pretty happy (except for a few tantrums here and there), the CMs mostly love their jobs, no one is irritated with me, I don't have to tell anyone what to do, and no one needs me to do anything urgently. :tinker:

I am not a doctor and do not work at a hospital but I can only imagine the pressure and rapid pace that you must work. Plus, I am a teacher. I teach 8th grade and so I can relate to the sense of just being able to go about the day and not have someone constantly needing my attention and having to have numerous conversations and things going all at once under my direction. This is why I love my summers too. It is a mental break for me.

Grandma Missie says this last scene is exactly like where she grew up in Central Illinois. She points out all these little details that were exactly like her family farm. I visited a few times as a very little kid and remember them too but not like she does. I love seeing her face light up at this part. You don't usually get to experience your parents the way they were as children but it's fun to think of them running around care-free and joyful. While we are not doing it this trip, we also love the Garden Grill because we get to see all these scenes as there restaurant turns.

I live in Central Illinois and grew up here. So, I, too love the Living with the Lands ride and especially the old farmhouse scene. I love that I live just a few minutes from the edge of town where I can just go for a quick drive and see all the beautiful farm scenery. It is amazing to be able to see all around you for miles and miles and miles. I even love to compare our wonderful rich black soil with all the different types of soil I come across when I visit other places and travel through the countryside.

Looks like a nice evening! I am kind of afraid to do Mission Space. I want to try it but I also don't want to feel yucky for the rest of the day.

This is me. I am nervous to try even the green side due to motion illness I have had in the past. I tend to at least get really bad headaches after riding jerky rides and simulators. That is why I am happy that there are so many rides and things to do at Disney that are not simulators! I hope they continue to create rides and experiences that are not centered on simulators like Universal seems to be. I have not gone to Universal myself yet since the more I research it the more I think there will be little for me to do. Though we might have to go for a couple of days because my DD really wants to explore the Harry Potter stuff.

I will need to read over your summer plans and share any tips/ideas I have later. :surfweb: I have spent a lot of time already reading your report today and I actually do have some errands and household chores to take care of too. :laundy: Alas, real life pulls me away from the DIS. :disrocks:

Last edited:
But he and my DD will still snuggle up with me on the couch.

Good!

just being able to go about the day and not have someone constantly needing my attention and having to have numerous conversations and things going all at once under my direction.

You get it too!

I even love to compare our wonderful rich black soil with all the different types of soil I come across when I visit other places and travel through the countryside.

I know that soil! My grandparents were farmers and I played in that dirt a lot growing up.

:welcome: And thanks for reading!

February 11: Back to Epcot! Attractions 26-30

welcome back, friends! I've been busy doing actual real life things! And buying lots of neat stuff for our summer trip. I can fill you in later about that. For now, it's time to get back to our quest to finish 40 attractions in just about 4 days....

So far, here's the list (I forgot to summarize at the end of the last update):
1. Beaches & Cream
2. Storm Along Bay
3. Town Square Mickey
4. Peter Pan
5. BTMRR
6. Small World
7. Carousel
8. Wishes
9. TSMM
10. Goofy
11. Minnie & Sorcerer Mickey
12. Star Tours
13. Muppetvision 3D
14. Indiana Jones
15. BoatHouse
16. Flights of Wonder
17. Expedition Everest
18. Tiffins
19. FotLK
20. Finding Nemo the musical
21. Figment
22. Livin with the Land
23. Soarin
24. Mission Space
25. Acrobats in China

We woke up on feb 11 to a great big beautiful tomorrow with great weather and a plan to make a ton of progress at Epcot that morning. After breakfast in the stunning Stone Harbor Club, we made the short walk over to the International Gateway and headed in just after rope drop and went directly to.... The Seas with Nemo & Friends (attraction #26). I think my mom went to wait standby for Soarin but Alex and I needed to get a different attraction in for the list.

IMG_1192 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

We took a picture in our clam shell and, honestly, all the rest of the pictures look crappy. Even this one is blurry. Not a great photographic start.

IMG_1195 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Before going for our next fast pass, we wanted to meet some characters that we had not met before. We found them in the almost deserted innoventions building on the land pavilion side. First up, Baymax! (Attraction #27)

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7946049363 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

And then next door to Joy & Sadness (attraction #28)

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7946066430 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7946066428 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Sadness is so sad. You really want to comfort her.

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7946065316 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

It's prime time for attractions so off we went to a big family favorite... Spaceship earth (attraction #29). Alex rode with me and Grandma Missie rode by herself so she could listen in french (see was a French teacher for 30 years).

IMG_1201 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

And here's the computer room...

IMG_1224 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I remember my dad had a computer for his music store when I was really young. It must have been late seventies or very early eighties. It really did take up most of his office And the discs were HUGE just like in this scene. It totally reminds me of that early childhood memory. I have no idea what he used it for. I didn't really pay too much attention until we got a mac which was some years later.

We each chose our futures and watched the little movies. I think we were going on vacation under the sea and needed to worry about pet care this time. I didn't save my video of the video so I'm not sure. But we did catch ourselves being added to the big map after we exited the ride.

IMG_1228 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Alex played the energy game (what is that exactly called again? the one where you use the shuffle board thingies to move energy pucks around?) and the driving game (which he did surprisingly well on) and then it was 11 o'clock so we headed to the world showcase!

First stop- Mexico! I love this pavilion. But I should tell you up front that I have a total thing for "outside inside". You know what I mean, when they make an inside environment look and feel like you are outside? This is one of the best. I could stay in there all day. It really is just like visiting a little village market in Mexico. While we were there, we hopped on Attraction #30: The Gran Fiesta Tour!

IMG_1245 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_1231 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

IMG_1234 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I could watch those fiber optic fireworks all day! They are so mesmerizing. This ride is kind of like Small World lite. And, again, I really would like to have the music play here. Can't you just hear it?

Are you getting hungry? We were. But first, we needed to make a very important stop. We are heading to meet my favorite character before a big fancy lunch. Any idea who it might be?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!