4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

You are both right but on different questions. If the question was what are the odds of flipping 4 heads in a row, then the answer is .5 to the 4th. If the question is what is the most common outcome of 4 flips, it would be 50% heads and 50% tails.

Interestingly, the (rounded) distribution of outcomes of 4 coin flips is all heads, 6%; three heads, 25%; two heads and two tails, 38%; three tails 25%; and 4 tails 6%. So an even though two heads and two tails is most common, an outcome that is not two heads and two tails is more likely...

Yes but I was trying to relate this to the question at hand, how likely is it someone will be allergic to dogs, and 48% is the correct response.

Still somehow missing the point completely. As an analogy, it seems that I am saying, "Apples can be good for you," and you are responding with, "That can't be right because bananas are yellow."

Live and let live means you should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others if you want them to tolerate your own- even where the opinions and behaviors of others negatively impact or offend you. There are all kinds of behaviors at WDW that impact our own vacations, but we tolerate them so that others will tolerate ours.

I think Mrs. W and her husband exemplify the live and let live attitude I wish more people had. Well said, Mrs. W.

Yea no, I think you are missing the point. Its not possible for people to switch in many cases. First there has to be availability, which at this point is unlikely esp for guests this was simply dropped on, and two, going forward there probably simply wont be enough room for people to just MOVE resorts or stay at another resort. WDW has pretty dang high occupancy, its just not possible. Secondly, as TheMaxRebo points out ... Disney is forcing people to pay the price difference between resorts which is absolutely TERRIBLE to the people who have been booked for months and months on end and have now had the rules changed on them at the last minute, but more importantly it suggests that people will either have to down grade their stay, or switch resorts and potentially pay a hefty price increase because someone else wants to bring their dog. That isn't live and let live. Its not always possible to permit people to do what they want, though I may dislike it, so that I can do what I want, though they might not like it. There are mutually exclusive wants / needs, having a dog/animal free place to vacation/sleep/stay is one of those things. People have serious issues and concerns with this, and can be effected in a significantly negative way by this change in policy.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous.

My mom and dad brought their dog to WDW on the last few trips and always boarded her at Best Friends. They preferred to bring her (drive) and board her there as she started getting older (rather than boarding her at home.) Their dog LOVED Best Friends. My mom would often take a midday break to visit her. It was like she was at summer camp!

My mom wouldn’t have wanted her cooped up in a room all day. At Best Friends she had activities, her own comfy rest space with outside access and time to run.

I LOVE my dog but would not have her stay in a Disney hotel with me. Too many smells, noises and not enough space to run. She’d be cooped up too much.

I have my boarded my dog at Best Friends a bunch of times and it really is one of the best Pet Hotels I have ever been too.

Plus my dog loves being there.

You are both right but on different questions. If the question was what are the odds of flipping 4 heads in a row, then the answer is .5 to the 4th. If the question is what is the most common outcome of 4 flips, it would be 50% heads and 50% tails.

Interestingly, the (rounded) distribution of outcomes of 4 coin flips is all heads, 6%; three heads, 25%; two heads and two tails, 38%; three tails 25%; and 4 tails 6%. So an even though two heads and two tails is most common, an outcome that is not two heads and two tails is more likely...

Quit mixing statistics into my probability debate! lol.

You switched from flip two coins once to one coin four times. Not the same problem..... I give up on the off topic math.

Yea no, I think you are missing the point. Its not possible for people to switch in many cases. First there has to be availability, which at this point is unlikely esp for guests this was simply dropped on, and two, going forward there probably simply wont be enough room for people to just MOVE resorts or stay at another resort. WDW has pretty dang high occupancy, its just not possible. Secondly, as TheMaxRebo points out ... Disney is forcing people to pay the price difference between resorts which is absolutely TERRIBLE to the people who have been booked for months and months on end and have now had the rules changed on them at the last minute, but more importantly it suggests that people will either have to down grade their stay, or switch resorts and potentially pay a hefty price increase because someone else wants to bring their dog. That isn't live and let live. Its not always possible to permit people to do what they want, though I may dislike it, so that I can do what I want, though they might not like it. There are mutually exclusive wants / needs, having a dog/animal free place to vacation/sleep/stay is one of those things. People have serious issues and concerns with this, and can be effected in a significantly negative way by this change in policy.

I think you'll be okay. I really do.

If you are truly that affected by this change in policy, then perhaps you should consider cancelling your Disney vacation. Surely it is really not worth all that stress and anger it appears to be causing you. Your cancelling will have more impact on Disney's final decision than anything you post on a forum. Ultimately, the decision to keep or dump the policy will rest on the financial impact to Disney- not on your or my opinion. The policy has been successful at Universal. There is a demand for pet friendly resorts in the Orlando area. It will be interesting to see what happens at Disney.

If you are truly that affected by this change in policy, then perhaps you should consider cancelling your Disney vacation. Surely it is really not worth all that stress and anger it appears to be causing you. Your cancelling will have more impact on Disney's final decision than anything you post on a forum. Ultimately, the decision to keep or dump the policy will rest on the financial impact to Disney- not on your or my opinion. The policy has been successful at Universal. There is a demand for pet friendly resorts in the Orlando area. It will be interesting to see what happens at Disney.
Universal has stricker rules, and are enforced. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Thank you for choosing to visit Loews Hotels with your pet(s). It is our intent to provide you
with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also a safe one. For the comfort and safety
of all guests and pets, we kindly request that all pet owners act responsibly with their pets. Please read, adhere and agree to the following hotel pet policies.
Your pet(s) should have all recommended vaccinations currently up-to-date, and you
agree to obtain and provide current records from a licensed veterinarian regarding
your pet(s) should Loews Hotels request this information from you at any time. Pets are permitted with a $50 fee, per night*
Loews Hotels allows a maximum of two pets per room.
Pets should be leashed or restrained at all times in public spaces in the hotel or on
the property.
Pets should be supervised at all times while in the hotel or on the property. You have
been provided with a list of local pet sitting services which can be arranged for you
through the hotel’s concierge. Since these services are not provided by Loews Hotels
we can not be held responsible for any pet service engaged by you.
A $10 per hour “time out” fee is assessed by Loews Hotels if a pet is left unattended
and needs to be removed from a guestroom.
Guests should display the special Loews Loves Pets “Do Not Disturb” sign to alert
housekeeping that a pet is in residence.
Pets are not allowed in food & beverage, pool or fitness center areas. Guests are responsible for pet waste clean-up inside the hotel and throughout the
property grounds. Guests are responsible for all personal injuries and/or property damage related to
their pet(s).
Guest agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Loews Hotels, the hotel, its operators
and owners and their respective affiliates from all liability and/or damage suffered as
a result of their pet(s). Loews Hotels reserves the right to remove guests whose pets are deemed noisy or
disruptive.
*Maximum of $150 will be charged for stays of three nights and more. Fee is subject to change without notice.

Universal has stricker rules, and are enforced. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Thank you for choosing to visit Loews Hotels with your pet(s). It is our intent to provide you
with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also a safe one. For the comfort and safety
of all guests and pets, we kindly request that all pet owners act responsibly with their pets. Please read, adhere and agree to the following hotel pet policies.
Your pet(s) should have all recommended vaccinations currently up-to-date, and you
agree to obtain and provide current records from a licensed veterinarian regarding
your pet(s) should Loews Hotels request this information from you at any time. Pets are permitted with a $50 fee, per night*
Loews Hotels allows a maximum of two pets per room.
Pets should be leashed or restrained at all times in public spaces in the hotel or on
the property.
Pets should be supervised at all times while in the hotel or on the property. You have
been provided with a list of local pet sitting services which can be arranged for you
through the hotel’s concierge. Since these services are not provided by Loews Hotels
we can not be held responsible for any pet service engaged by you.
A $10 per hour “time out” fee is assessed by Loews Hotels if a pet is left unattended
and needs to be removed from a guestroom.
Guests should display the special Loews Loves Pets “Do Not Disturb” sign to alert
housekeeping that a pet is in residence.
Pets are not allowed in food & beverage, pool or fitness center areas. Guests are responsible for pet waste clean-up inside the hotel and throughout the
property grounds. Guests are responsible for all personal injuries and/or property damage related to
their pet(s).
Guest agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Loews Hotels, the hotel, its operators
and owners and their respective affiliates from all liability and/or damage suffered as
a result of their pet(s). Loews Hotels reserves the right to remove guests whose pets are deemed noisy or
disruptive.
*Maximum of $150 will be charged for stays of three nights and more. Fee is subject to change without notice.

While I appreciate the patronizing tone....

As is pointed out by Eveningsong the Universal resorts were designed to be pet friendly, the Disney resorts aren't. The disney resort policy on dogs, as released, leaves a whole bunch of wiggle room for disney that may negatively affect other guests, and, again as pointed out above, aren't nearly as strict as those at Universal.

As is pointed out by Eveningsong the Universal resorts were designed to be pet friendly, the Disney resorts aren't. The disney resort policy on dogs, as released, leaves a whole bunch of wiggle room for disney that may negatively affect other guests, and, again as pointed out above, aren't nearly as strict as those at Universal.
In my opinion you absolutely have the right to feel the way you feel. ::yes:: This isn't exactly a minor change and can have a legitimate affect on your enjoyment and I'd just ignore anybody who dismisses that or recommends you "just cancel". :music:

Full disclosure too, I've been accused of being a little heartless when people over dramatize how a ride closure will affect their vacation but for some reason this dog thing clicks with me (and I like dogs).

This whole thing was "pee poorly" thought out and executed on a whim...

For anyone to say "I think you'll be ok...or just cancel" is providing the typical kind of leeway to disney that allows them to get away with what they always get away with: bad management.

Some idiot said they were "missing out" on revenue...so they slapped what can very loosely describe as a policy together on a dead sprint...

...but that does nothing to address two key things: their hotels were designed decades ago and in no way to deal with this and the employees aren't gonna be trained for this - because the training has been a joke for 20 years.

Don't patronize on this...mouse clearly doesn't know best.

I definitely think you are justified in at the very least being concerned with how it will be as we haven't seen it play out yet. The Loews Universal hotels allow dogs, but they have a lot of experience with that and Disney does not

In the end it may very well wind up being much ado about nothing and everything is fine, but for now, with them announcing it with 2 days notice before going into effect, CMs giving varying responses, the hotels not designed originally for dogs, etc. ... I think there is legit concern for how it will play out and I would not want to go inot my vacation stressed about such unknowns and would want Disney to work with me given they are the ones that changed the policy with next to no notice

I do hope it works out for your vacation though and hopefully early reports come back of no issues, etc. to help lessen the stress

Absolutely not----and not my logic.... the laws of probability...and they say that when flipping two coins, there are 4 possible outcomes--- hh, ht, tt, th---- with 25% chance for each. Now if you don't look at the coins as individual events, one could look at th and ht as the same result, making that result the highest probability result at 2:1.........

This is derailing some, but that is not how stats work.

This went into affect two days after announced. Any reservations cancelled from 30 days to 2 days costs $200, 1 day prior is non-refundable. Not to mention there really aren't other hotels to change to.

There are also logistics. If you have planned for 6 months for this vacation, you really can't just cancel airline tickets, tell your work "Nevermind," or plan out a whole new vacation in a day or two (heck even a week or two).

And as I said earlier (but needs to be repeated), with what I saw on my last stay on property (dirty rooms, pain peeling, etc. By the way, this was at Art of Animation, one of the selected resorts), I do not believe for a second they are going to handle the cleaning up of these rooms well. I can see how this will work at Port Orleans I think (creating a section for dogs), and at the Cabins. I have NO idea how you will break up sections of the hotel at the other two resorts to keep people who have sever allergies/fear of dogs away. Even at the two places I can kind of see how it works, they are two of the most popular resorts. What are the chances you will be stuck in a dog section, or encounter them at some point?

This went into affect two days after announced. Any reservations cancelled from 30 days to 2 days costs $200, 1 day prior is non-refundable. Not to mention there really aren't other hotels to change to.

There are also logistics. If you have planned for 6 months for this vacation, you really can't just cancel airline tickets, tell your work "Nevermind," or plan out a whole new vacation in a day or two (heck even a week or two).

And as I said earlier (but needs to be repeated), with what I saw on my last stay on property (dirty rooms, pain peeling, etc. By the way, this was at Art of Animation, one of the selected resorts), I do not believe for a second they are going to handle the cleaning up of these rooms well. I can see how this will work at Port Orleans I think (creating a section for dogs), and at the Cabins. I have NO idea how you will break up sections of the hotel at the other two resorts to keep people who have sever allergies/fear of dogs away. Even at the two places I can kind of see how it works, they are two of the most popular resorts. What are the chances you will be stuck in a dog section, or encounter them at some point?

Thank you...sincerely...

The thing that most grates me (there are several) 'round these parts is the patronizing stance that oozes out when anyone questions a decision.

I know where that comes from - "it's disney and they are rich and huge...they know what they're doing in ways we can't"

But here's the thing - those with work experience similar to mine...and no doubts they are lurking - know that it's almost the opposite. Not logical, but true. The place is almost "idiot proof" in its success because there are daily awful decisions/performance on both the micro and macro level at wdw. The inmates are running the asylum on so many levels...people would be shocked.

Putting a dogs in hotels policy In place on 2 days notice is beyond embarrassing...whether it works out or not.

Another guy who wants to bring statistics to a probability debate.......
tenor.gif

Its a dog , Really they don't comprehend magic, again they are dogs. My advice to dog people , a magical day for there dog would be stay home, in familiar place where the dog won't be anxiety ridden in a strange place

Dogs have a healthy dose of cynicism for marketing tools like "magic"...it seems the humans don't...

Last edited:
You'd think a company the size of Disney would have someone write their Service Dog guidelines that actually knows the laws. :sad2: The first time they ask someone to present a "Service Dog license" their butts are going to end up in federal court.

I think this is a terrible idea except the cabins. I've traveled with my dogs before and the barking from other dogs went all night as people came in and out of rooms in the pet section. My own dogs are trained to keep a lid on it but most pet owners have zero control over their dogs.

I think the largest amount of complaints will be from noisy/yapping dogs in the rooms. I've been RV camping at Ft. Wilderness for decades where they've allowed pets in certain camping loops. Even where the dog was used to it's RV environment you can still hear various dogs barking while the owners are in the parks, and this was while I was in a closed RV several sites away. What do you think it will sound like if you're next door in a hotel? I'm used to it as pets are normal in a camping environment but I think a major issue with the dogs in a hotel is how they behave in the room while the owners are out

There's no crating requirement?!?!

This is not going to end well.

And vaccinations are not as big of a deal as deworming/fecal test or flea/tick regimen upkeep is. My dogs are not allowed contact with strange dogs but they could still pick those things up from them.

Personally I'd like to see it treated like entrance to a boarding kennel with proof of vaccination, fecal test, and flea/tick regimen signed off by a vet that has seen the dog in the last 60 days.

And a dog off-leash should be an immediate requirement that the dog is kept in Best Friends or off site for the duration of their stay. I HATE off leash dogs running up to mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!