4/20 Magic Cruise for 2, Part 3: First day at sea!

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
Recap:
DH and I are 40-years-old with no children. We have been to WDW multiple times in the past 9 years and were ready for “something different.” We decided on the 7-night Disney cruise and were not disappointed. However, I will try to be honest in my report – sharing the good and the bad.

Part 3: First day at sea!

Absolutely beautiful weather! Calm seas. Slight breeze. Simply gorgeous!

We started the day on Sunday with the continental room service breakfast. It’s a great option if you’re not a morning person. (The last thing I want to do first thing in the morning is face people – particularly if I’ve not had my coffee yet, LOL.) We ordered cereal, toast, juice, coffee, etc. the night before almost every night of the cruise by hanging the tag on the door. The order tags are in the drawer of the desk – you have to go looking for them, LOL.

We then began with the 9:00 a.m. one-mile walk around deck 4, led by a very energetic member of the spa staff. It was a little quick, but a good way to start the day. Too bad we weren’t motivated enough to continue this tradition, LOL. Sunday was the only morning we managed it…

DH and I then grabbed a couple of spots by the adult pool at about 10:15. There were plenty of chairs then, but, by the time I left at about 11:45, there wasn’t a seat to be had. Lesson learned about timing.

We spent the afternoon exploring the ship. We had a quiet lunch and then took a nice nap in the stateroom. That fresh air really makes you sleepy! We went to Pluto’s for a quick snack to hold us over until our 8:30 dinner – something we ended up doing almost every day. Not good for the waistline, but 8:30 is a lot later than we are used to eating.

This was formal night – AND our night for Palo – so we got all dressed up (DH in tux, me in sequined top and long black skirt) and went to see “Hercules.” Big mistake! I’ve read others’ comments that this show just ”lost them” – and I was one of those people too. DH isn’t a real live theater fan, but he was willing to put up with it for my sake. However, I have to admit that the biggest problem was the people beside us. A woman and (maybe her mother) an older woman brought three very young girls into the show and sat down next to us. I’d guess that one was 5 or 6, the oldest was 7 or 8, and the youngest was 2. Mom sat next to me with the 2 year old in her lap. The child literally threw a FIT throughout the entire first half of the show. She screamed, she flung herself around in mom’s lap, she talked to herself (LOUDLY), she even kicked me a couple of times. Mom was absolutely clueless. She wrestled with her the entire time. Made no attempt to step out of the theater, discipline the child, etc. She FINALLY handed the little creature down to the older woman at the other end of their party. If this was grandma – THANK YOU, GRANDMA! At least she kept her quiet and occupied.

Editorial comment: I went into this realistically. We don’t have children, but I don’t want you to think that I thought wouldn’t see any children on this cruise. It’s Disney after all. I WILL, however admit that I had been perhaps a little misled about how invisible those children would be. I had read comments from too many people who said that the kids “would be in their clubs” and you would “never know they were there.” I honestly believe that one-third of the 2500 passengers on the ship were children under the age of 12! (I was surprised at this because I thought the end of April (far away from Easter) would NOT be spring break. I was either dead wrong or everyone takes their kids out of school for vacations like this these days.) Of those 800-900 kids, about 90 percent were well-behaved with sensible parents. But man, that other 10%!!!! I’ll have to admit that I was practically run over a couple of times. I saw way too many unsupervised children (with NO adults in sight) doing things like fencing with the shuffleboard sticks like they were swords and seeing how far and loudly they could launch the shuffleboard disks into one another. Jeesh…

Off soapbox now...

Palo: Everything you’ve heard and more! Simply an amazing experience. It took us over 2 hours to eat our dinner! Our server (Zita) was wonderful. By the end of the meal, I simply couldn’t handle dessert. DH had the chocolate soufflé. I had a bite of it. WOW! Talk about rich. It was a wonderful night and practically erased all memories of the nightmare child at the “Hercules” show!

After a walk around deck 10 to help digest all of that wonderful food, it was time for bed again. We were greeted by the first of our towel animals that night. DH doesn't DIS, and I hadn't told him about the possibility of towel animals, thinking that this was maybe only reserved for families with children. Our stateroom host's (Dewa) nightly towel animals became a highlight of our trip!

More to come…
Part 4: Second day at sea!

Dodie,
I can't WAIT to read about the rest of your trip. I am going on the 3 day Wonder on June 13th, with DH and 3 children, ages 10 to 17. However, we have already booked a 7 day for just DH and myself on September 6, 2003 WITHOUT children. I will be really interested in pointers for those 40ish people without kids and how to survive!! I love my children and they are well behaved, but DH and I want to spend our 20th Anniversary without them!!
So they get the "little cruise" and we get the long one! LOL.
So far your cruise sounds like it was great, despite the Hercules encounter!

thanks for reliving the memories...we also went to palos on sunday night but had vlados for our server...our doay was the same excep we started bingo sunday and got addicted......did you get to meet jodie? i had to really search to find her

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter