3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on Wish, March 27-31, 2023

gatechfan99

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to give a recap of our trip on the Wish last week. I will provide some information that I had questions about before the trip, so hopefully this will be useful to others. I had heard so many reports of people not liking the Wish, but I can assure you, it is our favorite of the 3 ships we have used (Dream and Fantasy are the others).

Embarkation Day - we came from Universal where we spent the weekend. I had fought the online check in 30 days earlier (finished at 4 AM that day, easily the worst part of the entire trip) and had PAT of 12:15 with BG of 12. We took our time leaving Universal, got to the PC Parking Deck around 11:15. Easy dropping off luggage with the porters and parking. There were spaces in the 2nd floor of the deck, but we parked on the 3rd that was almost empty so we could use the bridge to the terminal on that level. When we got there, we got in line for the 12:15 PAT. There are signs that form 3 or 4 lines of different times that they update. They probably let us start moving into the terminal around 12:00. About a 10 minute wait for the final check in and we were in the main terminal waiting area at 12:19 based on a picture on my phone. I believe they were already doing BG 8 at that time so only about 15 minutes before ours was called and we were on board.

We took in the Grand Hall for a few minutes which is very impressive and then headed to lunch. Yes, the elevators throw you off a little from prior Disney cruises as there aren't any close to the lobby. But we got to the Aft elevators with no problem and headed to Marceline Market for lunch on the 11th deck. It was crowded but not too hard to find a seat. Lunch was very good in my opinion but we aren't that picky when it comes to food. After eating, my kids wandered the ship and we just waited by the elevators for the staterooms to be ready. They took down the barrier right at 2:00 and we found our rooms. We did 2 connecting rooms with verandah on the 8th floor. Rooms are about what you would expect, just note the cooling drawer in the desk instead of a real mini-fridge. Our luggage was very prompt except our daughters. We weren't sure why hers came about 2 hours later until we opened it and they left us a note. Apparently, she had decided to bring her extension cord from home to charge her devices and they found that on the screening and removed it.

Dinner was at Arendelle. The food was okay, but I could have lived without the show. Our kids are older and it just didn't do a whole lot for them. Certainly there were families that enjoyed it a lot however. We went to the Disney Seas the Adventure show that night. I thought it was pretty good. However, the seats are very tight for legroom. I am quite tall (6'7) and really couldn't get comfortable. Just a point to note if you have long legs.

Day 2 - Nassau - we didn't get off the ship and based on the amount of people onboard, it seemed like very few did. We hit all the pools and AquaMouse that day. It was about a 30 minute wait for the AquaMouse. I will say I prefer the AquaDuck as it has a longer track outside of the slow moving conveyer watching the cartoons the Mouse has. We had lunch on the pool deck and I though the BBQ was very good. My wife and I added the Rainforest Room this trip and it was very worth it. The outdoor seating area was usually just one or two other couples and never more than half full. Such a peaceful place to relax. Also, I enjoyed using the showers in the changing room since it gives me way more headroom that the stateroom shower. My son spent almost all day in the Kids Club and loved it. Couldn't get enough of the Star Wars, Marvel, and Imagineering areas. Dinner was 1923 and really was the best food I've had on any of the ships. The rest of the family went to the Little Mermaid show and enjoyed it.

Day 3 - Castaway Cay - we got off the ship around 9:00, about 30 minutes after docking. We went to the family beach at the second tram stop. There were plenty of chair and umbrellas available at that time, though by 10:00 it seemed pretty full. The kids loved the Pelican Plunge slide though the water was still pretty cold. We had lunch at Cookies Too which was also pretty good. My oldest 2 and I rented bikes and biked the whole bike path (including through a torrential 10 minute downpour). We went back to the ship soon after lunch, and spent some more time in the Rainforest Room while the kids watched a movie. Pirate Night was that night, still at 1923. The food was probably the weakest of the trip that night.

Day 4 - Day at Sea - so much we wanted to do on this last day and so little time. We did the AquaMouse again, my son wanted as much Kids Club time as he could get. We had more Rainforest Room, kids did some trivia contests, and unfortunately had to start packing. We had Worlds of Marvel that night. We enjoyed that a little more than the Arendelle, probably just because of our personal interests (more Marvel than animated fans). The family enjoyed the Aladdin show, but I stayed in again just with no desire to go to theater.

Day 5 - Debarkation Day - we had breakfast at 6:55. They made the announcement that all the color tags were clear to go by about 7:30. Easy off the ship and finding our luggage. We were probably driving away by 8:00

Summary with Pros and Cons:

Pros - Oceaneer Club was great. In our 3 cruises, this was the first time that one of our kids really wanted to stay there all the time and was mad when we picked him up
-quick service food was great. Pizza, BBQ, Grill, and Taco/Burrito window are all on the pool deck. Never a bad lunch using those.
-dinner food quality was very good, especially 1923
-Rainforest room may be best on any of the ships with the outdoor area it has
-overall appearance and quality of the ship gives an extra "wow" factor from the other ships that is harder to describe
-I'm not sure if it was just the ship or nature, but the sailing was smoother than we had experienced on the other 2 Caribbean cruises. Hardly any rocking of the boat at all.

Cons: - a little confusing to get around. Occasionally find a hallway that just ends that's not connected. But not a big deal and we picked up the layout pretty well in a day or so
-elevators not being in the mid-ship area requires you to walk a lot to them every time if that is where your room is. I might consider that in selecting a room on a future cruise. Also, be careful not to lean against the buttons in the elevator, because they are very sensitive and all might light up.

Honestly can't think of any other complaints. Probably the most enjoyable cruise we've taken. We are already looking at the calendar to see where we can squeeze another Wish cruise in next year. I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has some.

I loved the Wish too! It’s my favorite ship of all of them. I have been on The Magic 5 times and Dream 3.

I thought everything was special.

And I agree about the movement. I felt nothing. I think it was my smoothest sailing to date.

I would be on it again but wanted a different itinerary. I can’t wait for The Treasure , after experiencing The Wish!

Thanks for sharing your experience.👍🏻🚢🌴

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter