• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

30 DVC Flag Pins on E-Bay

After all, these things are not free. We all pay for them through our dues.

It is my understanding that the pins and other gifts are paid for by the sales/ marketing arm of DVC, NOT coming out of our dues. (As nice as the gifts are, I certainly would not support paying more in dues for them). Since the sales/marketing group is paying for these "perks", I see nothing at all wrong with sending them out by mailing address, rather than by contract. JMHO.

To clarify...

My point was simply: they should evaluate contracts by owner, not address. I see Debbie's point about why does it matter if I own one contract of 300 or two of 150. It should be all the same because it is one person. However, if two people that reside under one roof own two separate contracts, they should be treated as two separate people in the DVC's system.

Why should Dean have to change his mailing address to his place of work in order to receive his mailing which he pays for (setting aside the pins)? It's a bit silly. Again, separate contracts. They have very specific rules being separate, therefore all aspects of the contracts should be separate.

Using Debbie's example, the two contracts of 150 are more restricted with usage and combining than the single 300 contract.

Example: If I want to combine 150 + 75 for a trip, it would require a transfer. If I want to transfer the rest of my points to my friend, I cannot because I would have used my transfers for the year. This isn't even addressing the point if the contracts are for two separate properties.

Enough from me: This is straying off the topic of this post.

We received two about a week and a half ago. I guess I'm
a bit righteous sometimes, but I think it's wrong to try to sell these pins that commemorate such a painful event. If the monies went to a charity then that would be a different story.

Right On BSCHOOL, I totally agree. I'm so thrilled to have 2 of these pins, but like others here, we are a family of 5 (3 kids here) and we have 4 contracts of 225 each - I only wish they might have made more so each family member could have one. Making more would have taken the "monetary value" off of the pin making it more sentimental instead of valuable. Our pins didn't even come with the card people have talked about - they were on a blank white card. Not complaining because I am positively thrilled (I had no idea they were coming!!!) to even have 2. Just another thought on the subject.:D

I received mine too and would never part with them. I was watching e-bay's Auction for America last night and 1 single DVC pin went for $90. Wow!! I guess it's going to a great cause!

Originally posted by Mickbee
If two separate contracts have to adhere to the banking borrowing and transfer rules as if they were owned by two separate members, why should the mailings/perks be any different?

We cannot combine/pool our points from contract A and contract B as we see fit without being restricted to the rules of a one transfer per year etc.

Dean your idea works well until one of your co-workers does the same thing. Then who gets the mailings? ;)
Actually the transfer rules are not treated equally when a single member owns separate contracts. In MS words, "there is significant latitude" when dealing with one owner and multiple contracts. That doesn't mean they throw out all the rules just that when the only reasonable way is to use points from one contract to complete a transaction, they will. Two examples, first, DVC can anly make CC, Cruise, etc from one contract or when they can use 2 contracts, there might be an additional fee. The other is if you don't have enough points in one contract to make that last night of reservation. They will do what it takes to complete these issues without putting the member in a bind.

As for the mailings, I'm not worried about getting them. I just hated to do personal things at work. It's not against the rules, just not they way I wanted to proceed. I guess our situation is fairly unique where I own two contracts but my wife only one and it's important to her.

Dean, The MS person I spoke with did not know about the latitude. I had to borrow one point from next year to complete a night stay. I asked if I could use that one point from my other contract, which had several hundred points for the current year. She told me no unless I transferred the one point. They then proceeded to inform me how they can't do it, yadda yadda...

Thanks for the info. It is certainly nice to know for future reservations.

Back to the topic:

I took a look at Ebay to see the auctions to see for myself. I can't get over the money they are getting for these pins. I certainly wouldn't part with mine.

Our son has many pins in his collection. Every pin has a special meaning and memory associated with it. This one is certainly special, but in a very different way. When the pins first arrived, we were thrilled to receive them. We immediately put them on. It wasn't until later that evening when I was closely studying it that I realized the inscription on the back. Talk about a sinking feeling...

Some things you just don't sell for any price...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter