3 Trips in 1 year with a Side of Baseball and Scotland - Updated 10/3 The End

My grandmother told me that there were rumors that he had some Scot in him also and Ireland and Scotland are very close to each other at one point, as I learned last year.

Yes, the West coast of Scotland is very close to Ireland. Lots of Scots have some Irish heritage -I'm half Irish.

And thank you I fell in love with Scotland last year and the trip next year goes to Hadrians Wall which is a dream spot for me. I majored in Medieval Literature and History with a lot of King Arthur so the Wall came up quite a bit in my studies.

That should be interesting to you then. I live in an area full of Roman History.

Did you go straight on your coach tour when you arrived in Glasgow? I would have just wanted to go and relax after an overnight flight? Some hotels now offer day rooms from 9:00 -17:00 which would be good after an overnight flight.

The Drovers Inn Bear

Well this is truly gruesome! I hate taxidermy - much creepier than any resident ghosts.

The room was quaint.

The bed was really soft and I have back issues so not overly comfortable.

Quaint = outdated and shabby. There is no excuse for this - Scotland is a modern country with every modern convenience. The hotel now has new owners and has been completely renovated. It reopened in May as The Perle Oban Hotel.

rom the hotel doorway

A dreich Scottish day - our specialty.

I was surprised at how light it still was.
We get really long days in summer.

As soon as I sat down the waiter came over with a pot of coffee and put it on the table for me. He was the same waiter from the night before and remembered I like my coffee.

Always good when staff remember these things.

The bacon was not like American bacon but it was good

Yes, we find it strange in Orlando with the thin crispy bacon. Did you like the potato scone? Did you try black pudding?

Back on the bus I took more pictures of our ride to the one place I was looking forward to seeing.

We made a stop at the Commando Memorial first.

The Telfords bus was our coach

I had a moment here. I am a huge WWII history buff and I could just feel the presence of the young men who trained here as they prepared to go to battle and an uncertain future knowing that they may never come back to see this spectacular view again.

Off to Glenfinnan.
I was really looking forward to this stop ever since we booked the trip and I began researching some of our stops. The monument here was erected in 1815 to mark where Prince Charles Edward Stuart, Bonnie Prince Charlie, raised his standard at the beginning of the 1745 Jacobite uprising.

And the reason I was looking forward to this stop

The Jacobite Train and Glenfinnan viaduct from the Harry Potter movies. We had a concert again

I couldn't tell you what he sang or said as I was thrilled to see the train and spent my whole time there taking pics of that and the viaduct. I did get some of the monument too. The train was heading back

Of course I had to get a couple of flower pictures

We were back on the coach and off to our last stop of the day. I took this pic for my husband who will only by Fords and has always been like that

And we arrived at our destination - Glencoe. I think this also had a connection to Harry Potter

Glencoe was really just a stop to see a mountain range called the Three Sisters.

And another song.

Some blue skies peeking through

My point and shoot actually has a panorama feature so I was able to get these

Then we were on the coach and back to the hotel.

We got there just in time for dinner and I was starving. I did head back up to the room for another Aleve first as my knee was throbbing from the fall earlier in the day. My dinner was Bacon and Vegetables, more like a smoked pork chop

and Cheesecake for dessert

So far the trip was more than I could have hoped for. Mom wanders off to look around and I take pictures. She doesn't see how I can enjoy the trip or appreciate anything with a camera in my hand all the time. We just have different travel styles. My knee was sore and I was concerned about that as I have had quite a few surgeries on it. My ear was at this point totally blocked leaving me unable to hear on my right side at all. Of course mom was on my right side all of the time and thought I was ignoring her.

I headed back up to the room and packed up whatever I wasn't going to need in the morning and went to bed. We leave Oban in the morning and need to have the luggage downstairs before breakfast.

Yes, the West coast of Scotland is very close to Ireland. Lots of Scots have some Irish heritage -I'm half Irish.

I can't wait to see what the tests prove or don't prove. My dad is supposedly 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Polish. It will be interesting to see if it actually shows anything different.

That should be interesting to you then. I live in an area full of Roman History.

I would love to be able to come over and really experience more but Jim isn't able to travel like that now and really would get bored. My mom likes tours. maybe one day.

Did you go straight on your coach tour when you arrived in Glasgow? I would have just wanted to go and relax after an overnight flight? Some hotels now offer day rooms from 9:00 -17:00 which would be good after an overnight flight.

Because of the flight delay on departure we were really late arriving in Glasgow so it was straight to the coach. It wasn't to bad though I had coffee on the plane before we landed so it helped.

Well this is truly gruesome! I hate taxidermy - much creepier than any resident ghosts.

The whole Inn was filled with stuffed animals, birds and even a shark. It was odd but interesting.

Quaint = outdated and shabby. There is no excuse for this - Scotland is a modern country with every modern convenience. The hotel now has new owners and has been completely renovated. It reopened in May as The Perle Oban Hotel.

I didn't want to say that but I thought it could use a little help. The wallpaper was peeling but I loved being so close to the water that I overlooked the short comings. I looked at the website and the renovations make it look like a totally new hotel, amazing.

A dreich Scottish day - our specialty.

We had a few of them this trip. It was a thrill to see blue skies. I was glad I had a jacket and rain ponchos.

We get really long days in summer.

You really do. We stay light til about 8 and I could read by the outside light til close to 10:30 at night there.

Always good when staff remember these things.

The staff was awesome and had my coffee pot ready for me both days. We tipped them nicely.

Yes, we find it strange in Orlando with the thin crispy bacon. Did you like the potato scone? Did you try black pudding?

The potato scone was different but good. Sort of like a McDonalds has brown. The black pudding was the one thing I would not try. I did have haggis. My mom had the black pudding and ate it all so I guess she liked it.

We just spent 10 days in Scotland this July, so I had to read your report and had to laugh at the tub incident because I did the same thing the first time I got out and still have a lingering bruise to prove it! Love looking at all your pics since we were very sad to leave.

Thanks for posting all your Disney bird pictures. My fifteen-year-old wants to be an ornithologist so I'll have to share those with her. She asked for a good camera for Christmas, do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking we'll need to also sign her up for some lessons or a course in how to use it.

We just spent 10 days in Scotland this July, so I had to read your report and had to laugh at the tub incident because I did the same thing the first time I got out and still have a lingering bruise to prove it! Love looking at all your pics since we were very sad to leave.

I fell in love with Scotland last year and hope to go back next year with the same tour group. I feel that bruise. The ones I got lasted a few weeks too. Glad you are enjoying the pics, I get a little sad looking at them missing the whole experience.

Thanks for posting all your Disney bird pictures. My fifteen-year-old wants to be an ornithologist so I'll have to share those with her. She asked for a good camera for Christmas, do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking we'll need to also sign her up for some lessons or a course in how to use it.

I love taking pictures of the birds even though I really am terrified of them. I think I saw the Birds one to many times.

If your daughter has never used a camera before there are a few options. You could go for a good point & shoot to learn on. They have the options to change the settings and built in zoom. I actually have used them and prefer Canon or Sony, but I do it for the zoom factor. Personally I would jump in and get an entry level DSLR. I started with a Sony but jumped over to Nikon. I am actually giving my Sony to my granddaughter to use on an upcoming trip to Disney. She has a good eye and I'm excited to see Disney through the eye of a 13 year old. Anyway Canon, Sony and Nikon all make a decent camera. I prefer the Nikon right now. The camera shop I use gave me a tip, shoot on P. You can control some aspects but the camera does some of the other settings. I also bought a lens that goes from wide angle to zoom (18mm-200mm) It gives me a decent walk around camera without having to change lenses. Photography can be an expensive hobby but so worth it.

Photography can be an expensive hobby but so worth it.

I can only imagine, but she's an artist so I'm thinking it may be a worthwhile skill to add to her repertoire. :)

We also want to go back to Scotland and explore the islands more. We spent one day traversing to Mull and Iona, but it wasn't enough time and my daughter wants to go to Staffa to see the Puffins. Hope your 2nd trip works out. I've grew up in New England and have lived in Minnesota and near the coast in some beautiful locations, but Scotland truly is in its own class when it comes to natural beauty (especially for a photographer).

I can only imagine, but she's an artist so I'm thinking it may be a worthwhile skill to add to her repertoire. :)

We also want to go back to Scotland and explore the islands more. We spent one day traversing to Mull and Iona, but it wasn't enough time and my daughter wants to go to Staffa to see the Puffins. Hope your 2nd trip works out. I've grew up in New England and have lived in Minnesota and near the coast in some beautiful locations, but Scotland truly is in its own class when it comes to natural beauty (especially for a photographer).

My granddaughter is an artist too and really good for her age. She amazes me. That's why I think she will be good as a photographer, she has an artistic eye.

My trip next year will be another tour but it's going to the borders so I am expecting some interesting stops. I've lived in Philadelphia my entire life so I get to see urban life. I enjoy when I can get to other locations for the natural beauty and Scotland definitely is that.

Hi
The borders has as much history as the highlands so you should find as intresting especially since you studied Hadrians wall whilst you were at uni.The seenary can be just as good as the highlands just the hills arn"t as high.Looks like you enjoyed your tour here with a singing accopliment as well way to go.Your photos are excellent pity about the rain clouds though.

Scotland Day 4

We were leaving Oban today for our next destination. I was up at 6 AM but just laid in bed til my mom was done getting ready. When I finally got up and ready I had issues with the tub. I either burned my feet or froze. At least I didn't fall out of the tub this time.

My knee was still hurting and I had the wrong knee brace so I needed more Aleve to get through the day. I packed up the last few things in my luggage and took it down to the lobby then I headed to the harbor for some final pics

Looked like a cruise ship was docked
30192432386_95a4b3a1f7_z.jpg

29597951503_f16263014b_z.jpg

Found an Olive Garden Restaurant, not quite like the ones here at home

My ice cream shop from the first day, fish and ice cream an interesting combination

Panoramic view

And some facts about Oban

I went back in for breakfast and Scott, the head waiter I found out his name, had my coffee waiting for me. We had the same layout as yesterday so I had OJ, eggs, mushrooms and bacon along with a Danish and COFFEE!!! The coach was loaded with our luggage as we ate and then we were off.

Hi
The borders has as much history as the highlands so you should find as interesting especially since you studied Hadrians wall whilst you were at uni. The scenery can be just as good as the highlands just the hills aren't as high. Looks like you enjoyed your tour here with a singing accopliment as well way to go. Your photos are excellent pity about the rain clouds though.

From what I have seen of the itinerary we are going to see some of the highlands. I would like to see more and being anywhere near the water is good for me. I love the sea. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. Our musical entertainment has a real love of the Jacobite rebellion and the tout guide was born in the states but he still has family in Scotland so he goes over quite a bit. We get a real lesson in Scottish history. The clouds were about quite a bit but we saw some sun too.

We were on the coach but held for a few minutes because a few of the people had to walk the coach of shame. They forgot to turn in their hotel keys.

Finally we were on our way and I took some pics of the ride. I have no clue where we were.
I remembered Esso stations from years ago

Some cows

My mom's friends although I was trying to get the castle in the distance

And we reached our destination - Inverary.

I had looked it up before the trip. It was used in at least one episode of Downton Abbey so my mom was really excited. I never got into the show so it was just a castle to me. The castle belongs to the Duke of Argyll and he and his family still live here.

The next post or 2 will be pictures of the castle so I will continue with them

Inverary Castle - I was actually happy it wasn't another ruin just for the comparison. I know we had a guided tour but my ear was still blocked so I missed most of what was said

Chandelier

The Duke and Duchess of Argyll on their wedding day

Cannonballs found on the property

The group

My mom loves this. I was happy she wasn't reading the signs to me

Robes

Picture of the cast of Downton Abbey

We then went outside to explore the gardens

Mom telling me what to do

We were back on the coach and a short drive to the town of Inverary.

We could probably have walked as it wasn't that far but I was happy to take the coach. We then had some free time to just explore.

We spent some time in here, mostly my mom. She was looking for a sweater for my dad. She finally decided she could just knit one herself. She did find something for my nephews.

I did think about getting a coffee but didn't want to walk around with it. Then another Disney connection showed itself

This was Inverary

Seriously it was about 2 blocks long. I did enjoy looking in the shops

And from the other end of the block

We did stop here for ice cream
300 by Lorrie Knotwell, on Flickr

The flavors were really interesting

My cone. I got Panacotta Strawberry and Balsamic. It sounded like an odd combination but it was really very good. My only problem is I would look at the price and think only $3 forgetting that was pounds and the scoop was actually about $5.

Mom was afraid we would miss the coach so we hurried back to where it was parked and sat. We didn't wait that long and we were off to the hotel.

We were staying at the Loch Fyne Resort and Spa. It was really a very nice hotel. Our room again had to single beds

The tub had bars on it. I still managed to almost fall out again

And we had a little coffee/tea set up

Our view

The view out front was much better

We had some time to relax before dinner so I got a Guiness. I am partial to dark beers

For dinner I had the Wild Mushroom Soup and this was an excellent choice

Then I opted for the Scottish Chicken with Leeks, Truffles and Mashed Potatoes. This was just OK. The chicken was on the bone and I really don't like meat connected to bones so I picked at it. I loved the leeks and mushrooms

Mom and her friend both got some kind of fish dish, Nancy was really enjoying me taking pics of the food

I got the Sticky Toffee Pudding and it was fantastic

Mom got Grilled Pineapple. She enjoyed her fish and the pineapple

This resort included coffee with the desserts so I was happy. We did have a good laugh here. There was what we thought was a piece of brown sugar on the saucer so I put it in my coffee, but it wouldn't dissolve. Turns out it was a piece of toffee. Ernest got a good laugh at us since he knew what it was.

We were treated to a show on Highlanders and there was audience participation.

They had a lot of fun with this one man - his last name is MacDonald and is a foe of the Clan Cambell. He was a really good sport about the whole thing

After the Highlands show Charlie and Tad had a concert planned

After dinner and the shows I headed up to the room to connect to the WIFI. I texted Jim to see how things were at home. He missed me, the dog really missed me and the DNC was totally uneventful. All was good. Then I texted with my son. My grandson had a playoff game and they lost. He said none of the older players wanted the ball so Jay started as the pitcher. He was 17 and still in high school. The teams were supposed to by 19 and under but the opposing team had a few ringers on it. Jay gave up 2 unearned runs over 4 innings and had the other team held to just a few singles. The men he was facing were Jrs. and Sr.s in college so I was really proud of him. I sent jay a text too letting him know what I thought. A few weeks later when I signed him up for Fall baseball his coach couldn't stop telling me how great he did. I went to bed a little sad that his team lost but immensely proud of how he handled himself.

Scotland Day 5

I was up early and headed down to check out the hotel. This was definitely better than Oban. The breakfast buffet was out.
This was just odd to me. Still have no ide what that leg was

Cereals

Coffee, teas, fruit

Juices and water

The lobby sitting area

Restaurant area where we actually had a menu for breakfast on top of the other offerings. I had porridge, fruit, eggs and bacon.

The bar

Out front

If the stars represented quality it definitely merited them

After we ate we were on the coach for our first stop of the day. We passed the castle again

And we arrived at the Loch Fyne Ale and Brewery. We were here to learn about making beer and to have a Barbecue lunch

This made me think of my brothers. One makes his own beer and the other makes his own wine.

The used malts are fed to the cattle

Modern brewing room

Types of malts used

We paid out of pocket for the lunch but it was worth it. That was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten

The tour also included a free beer

And of course Tad

And Charlie had an impromptu concert

This was a great stop and a lot of fun. The process to make the beer is interesting. I did find a souvenir for my son and oldest grandson here. They collect shot glasses so I bought them each a small 1/3 pint glass.

We were on our way soon enough for free time in Inverary. The drive back
The tide really went out

We couldn't figure out what was making the lines and wake in the water as there were no boats

There was something about this boat that made it famous but of course I couldn't hear what it was.

Mom and I were touring the Inverary Jail. We had to pay but got a discount from the coach driver.

Jails became a form of punishment from the 18th century.

Some of the punishments they did use were barbaric. Boots that crushed legs, thumb screws that kind of thing. There were signs and pictures to describe everything. Some of the crimes and punishments. Personally I felt bad for the poor horse.

A courtroom

Outside holding area for exercise

Cell room

Wash tub

Kids were in the same jail as adults

There were rules for work, school and prayer. And everything was run by a strict schedule. They got outside exercise in one of the two holding areas for 1 hour everyday but they were alone in the cell.

I guess this is better than bread and water

And they even had this crime in the 1800's.

Whipping table

The tour of the jail was self guided and I found it interesting. My husband is a sheriff and my son is a correctional officer. My mom was driving me insane as I read or listened to the spiel and was ready to move on. She had to read EVERY SINGLE SIGN and listen to all versions of the recordings. I read my camera.

Soon enough we were back at the resort for some down time. Mom went to the lobby and I stayed in the room and watched Third Rock from the Sun. I hadn't seen that sho0w for quite a few years so I enjoyed it. Mom came back to the room and told me to grab my camera and hurry. This was the sight outside

It was still overcast so hard to get a good picture of the rainbow but I did try. I just stayed in the lobby at this point because it was almost time for dinner. I had a green pea and mint soup. The soup was really good but thin. Then I got to the bottom of the bowl and it was much thicker. I should have stirred it.

I didn't take a picture of my main course because I was hungry and just forgot. I had a Wild Mushroom & Shallot Tart. This was absolutely fantastic. The crust was really flaky and the vegies were perfect. My dessert was a Dark Chocolate Tare with Baby Pear and Apricot Syrup. This was really good and dense. It was perfect mixing some of the fruit with the tart

Mom got cheesecake

After dinner we hung around the lobby with other members of the group. Our tour guide held an impromptu Whiskey tasting seminar. I wasted my money on this because I learned real fast that I do NOT like whiskey. I went back to my soda. I did get annoyed for awhile here though. My mom was going on and on about my perfect nephew the genius. He was 5 at the time and yes he has a really high IQ for his age but it gets tiresome, especially when she told me not to talk about MY grandkids and my Mikey particularly. I found a group of women that I could really relate to however. One woman had adopted 2 special needs children and one was a special ed teacher with a focus on autism. I was happy because we all had a common ground to converse about. I went to bed around 10 to pack up for the next day and get some sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts