Say Hello to Isaac, Your Bartender: 2019: Running Together and in Love!

huggybuff

DIS Veteran
JUMP TO PAGE #3 for current happenings...

2017 RACES:

1/7 WDW HM: Cancelled. I took the refund.

1/14 SWLS 10K: 1:36:18
This was such a fun race despite the fact that I hadn't run at all in 3 weeks. Most of the course was on DL property, either backstage or in the parks themselves. I made the call to walk the last mile to help save my legs for the HM the next day.

1/15 SWLS HM: 3:30:08
I ran the first 7 miles and then tummy troubles hit me. I doubt I would have run to the finish based on my lack of training over the prior months, but the GI issues really cut it short. This was my second time doing a DL HM and the Anaheim portion bores me to tears. I need to get mentally tougher to push through, no matter the course or whatever else isn't going my way during a run.

UPCOMING:

2/12 Davis Stampede 5K: 40:19
PR! I used @DopeyBadger 's strategy of running the race blind. (Not looking at my splits.) The last mile was a slog but my pace didn't suffer too badly. (1-12:54, 2-12:38, 3-12:51) I was very excited to see the work starting to pay off!

3/4 The Lucky Run 7K:

4/22 SWDS 10K

4/23 SWDS HM

Last edited:
  • Who am I?
I'm a 42 year old Disney fan who's tried to become a 'real runner' for years. I work for local law enforcement, have 3 adorable nephews and 2 bratty cats. Well, only one of them is a demon.

• What am I currently training for?
I was training for the WDW Half when I decided to add in the 2017 SWLS races on a whim once I saw the Han and Lelia medal for the Half. As we all know, the WDW Half was canceled and now I'm on my way to Anaheim.

• When am I going to see some real results?
If you look at my signature you'll notice a weight loss ticker. I haven't changed it in a year so you'd think I've had a lengthy plateau. Wrong. After last year's SWLS I put on at least 30 lbs from January to May. Shame spiraling at its finest. It took roughly the remainder of last year to get those pounds back off, making my ticker at least somewhat correct once again.

My current goal is to lose 2lbs a week, starting when I get back from DL. This is going to entail a serious commitment to exercise and eating right. I know the facts and have the tools. I just need to get in there and do the work. And yet here's where I always hit my wall. I will start strong and commit to something for weeks or even months...and then I get scared and just stop. It's called self-sabotage and 2017 is the year I will overcome it!

• Why am I here?
I need and want the accountability of putting it all out there for others to see. After meeting great people last year on the Running Thread, I'm convinced all of your support can help me get over the hump.

• How will I accomplish my weight loss and running goals?
I plan to enlist @DopeyBadger to construct a plan for me once I get home from DL. (If he's up for it, that is. :worship:) I envision running 4 or 5 mornings a week, yoga 2 nights a week, and some spin thrown in for good measure. Calories should be in the 1500 to 1700 range with lots of lean protein and fruits and veggies. I'm merely a vacation lush, so there's no problem cutting out alcohol. I don't smoke and am in general good health despite the extra pounds.

Let's do this!!!

It was great meeting you Marathon weekend!

I know the facts and have the tools. I just need to get in there and do the work. And yet here's where I always hit my wall. I will start strong and commit to something for weeks or even months...and then I get scared and just stop. It's called self-sabotage and 2017 is the year I will overcome it!
I can so relate to this! In my head it all sounds great and I can stick to it for awhile but for some reason I always fall off the wagon. BUT it looks like you have a solid plan in place to overcome this in 2017. I look forward to reading about your journey, you are going to have an awesome year!

It was great meeting you Marathon weekend!

You too! :)

I can so relate to this! In my head it all sounds great and I can stick to it for awhile but for some reason I always fall off the wagon. BUT it looks like you have a solid plan in place to overcome this in 2017. I look forward to reading about your journey, you are going to have an awesome year!

Girl, you finished Dopey, so I'd say you stayed on the wagon this time around. Great job!

Hi!! Your picture with Dale is adorable!!!! I have been thinking about starting my own training journal on here too, and your honesty is very relatable and makes me think I should just got for it too! 2017 is the year of being committed to accomplishing goals :)

Hi!! Your picture with Dale is adorable!!!! I have been thinking about starting my own training journal on here too, and your honesty is very relatable and makes me think I should just got for it too! 2017 is the year of being committed to accomplishing goals :)

Thanks! The character handler was nice enough to take it. Sometimes if you eat solo you get screwed out of good character pics.

You should go for it and start a journal too! People are super supportive around these parts and I think it will be nice to look back at come the end of the year.

Weekly Log:

My new training plan started off on Friday instead of Tuesday. I had some life happen that took me out of commission Tues-Thurs. Still sore, but moving on...
  • 1/27, Friday: Easy B, 16:47 pace, 2 miles. My first mile was 14:44 pace so I was completely off in my perception of effort. I managed to slow down my second mile to 16:07 It felt very strange to intentionally run so slowly.
  • 1/28, Saturday: Easy B, 16:47 pace, 3.5 miles. The first 2 miles were in the 15:30-15:45 range but I slowed it down in the last 1.5 miles into the 16s. Going this slow is hard!
  • 1/29, Sunday: Long Run, 16:14 pace, 4 miles. Again, the first 2 miles were too fast, but they were closer to the desired pace than Fri or Sat. I pretty much hit the pace on the nose in miles 3 and 4. Success.

This is going to entail a serious commitment to exercise and eating right. I know the facts and have the tools. I just need to get in there and do the work. And yet here's where I always hit my wall. I will start strong and commit to something for weeks or even months...and then I get scared and just stop. It's called self-sabotage and 2017 is the year I will overcome it!

I wish you the best of luck as you take on this challenge. Know that between your journal and the running thread we are all here to help you in anyway we can. Good luck with training and I will be coming back to your journal from time to time to see how everything is going!

I wish you the best of luck as you take on this challenge. Know that between your journal and the running thread we are all here to help you in anyway we can. Good luck with training and I will be coming back to your journal from time to time to see how everything is going!

Thanks for your support, Jerry! Here, the running thread and Strava. :teeth:

Cheering you on!!! Isn't it weird how the "easy runs" are almost harder than thr long runs at first? Because you want to go faster?
I've learned to love the easy days now but it took a while to get my brain out of "always the same speed"

Cheering you on!!!

Thank you! :flower:

Isn't it weird how the "easy runs" are almost harder than thr long runs at first? Because you want to go faster?
I've learned to love the easy days now but it took a while to get my brain out of "always the same speed"

YES. I hit the pace today but the first couple of tries were way off. I just have to trust that the plan will eventually make me faster. Slow down to go fast, and all that jazz. ::yes::

Weekly Log:

• 1/30: Rest Day for running but I went to yoga class after work. We had another substitute teacher. I've been to this class maybe 8 times and it's the third sub we've had. She was good but it was another set of poses and flow to adapt to...which isn't bad I guess. My abs and obliques were sore for days afterward.
  • 1/31: Easy B, 2.5 miles, 16:47 goal pace. //I averaged 16:38, so I pretty much nailed it.
  • 2/1: I was supposed to do my Tempo run. When I woke up it was raining cats and dogs so I wimped out. I'll run in a light rain, but it was pouring out.
  • 2/2: Tempo Run, 1.5 miles, 14:32 goal pace. //So I moved my run from Wednesday to Thursday. I averaged a 13:57 pace. A little too fast according to the plan but it felt nice to run a bit faster than usual. Holding back is hard! Thursday night I went to yoga class again and had the same sub. Luckily she didn't change up her class too much from Monday night and I got a better flow going.
  • 2/3: Rest Day.
  • 2/4: Easy B, 4.5 miles, 16:47 goal pace. //I averaged 16:15 which should be my Long Run pace. Miles 3 and 4 I managed to slow down some, but not enough. A work in progress I suppose.
  • 2/5: Long Run, 5 miles, 16:14 goal pace. //Averaged 16:02. Not too far off the prescribed pace. My run was uneventful, except for some angry dog action. I was barked at more in one run than I've been barked at since I moved into this neighborhood. :dog:
Next week should be more exciting...RAAAACE!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts