2017 College Dorm shopping on a Budget

OP, does the University put out a suggested list of dorm items, and items that are prohibited? I'd start there. One college both my kids considered only allowed their special microwave/refrigerator combo. You had to rent it from them. Their concern was the fridge and microwave running at the same time and overloading the circuits. These combo units shutoff the fridge off if the microwave is in use.
The following items are not permitted:

• Pets other than small fish.
  • Clothes washers or dryers. credit card/ATM operated washers and dryers are located on the first floor of each hall.
  • Waterbeds.
  • Pianos, organs, drum sets or other large musical instruments. The Department of Music has practice rooms available to students.
  • Firearms, ammunition, fireworks, explosives, dangerous or flammable chemicals, paint ball guns or weapons including swords, bow and arrows.
  • Halogen lamps.

• And I was told by tour guide no hot plates, toaster ovens

What about a safe or a foot locker with lock. So she can lock up her wallet, purse, laptop, Phone, and believe it or not make up especially if its good make up...and so forth. Some friends said the 1st week living in the dorm their daughter had her wallet stolen out of her room when she was in the shower in her room, It was a nightmare for them to get straighten out. Thank goodness she noticed it right away. Another friends son was asleep and they took his lap top, and wallet which was laying right next to him. DD worked as a server and always had a ton of cash so she would lock it up the minute she would get back to the dorm. She had a foot locker and then my DH mounted the safe to the inside of the locker, then chained the locker to the bed frame. She did end up having to lock up her makeup, snacks, drinks, and laundry supplies, as they had someone or group of someone's that just helped themselves to everyone stuff.

Get a printer, for me it was a safety issue knowing my DD would not be heading out late at night to print stuff, and that she could print whatever she needed at her finger tips.

A water proof phone case...just trust me on this... a water proof phone or case is a must...

Don't let her take anything that is not replaceable or has real sentimental value.

Some kind of laundry basket or laundry bag for the dirty clothes.
The tour guide did say to lock up stuff because sometimes things go missing. Were the thief's in a form or apartment? Water proof case for phone is a good idea. I thought the bathroom was private but other room mates can access it so She will need something for her phone because she wont be able to leave it on the bathroom vanity

I have also read about a laptop lock. You can lock you laptop to your desk or even a table in the library in case you need to run to the restroom.
Something like this but on sale: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-defcon-coiled-cable-security-lock/8848378.p?skuId=8848378
I forgot about the laptop lock

The tour guide did say to lock up stuff because sometimes things go missing. Were the thief's in a form or apartment? Water proof case for phone is a good idea. I thought the bathroom was private but other room mates can access it so She will need something for her phone because she wont be able to leave it on the bathroom vanity.

My friends Daughter was in like a apartment, with 3 bed rooms with private bathrooms, common area, and a kitchen without a stove, it did have full size frig, and microwave. But the door was always open and other students in and out, Her bedroom door did lock but you could push hard on it and it would open, the school would not let them install a dead bolt, so they installed a chain lock so their daughter felt a bit safer when showering and sleeping. Our other friends son lived in a normal style dorm 2 students to a room, they got him a safe as well.

The tour guide did say to lock up stuff because sometimes things go missing. Were the thief's in a form or apartment? Water proof case for phone is a good idea. I thought the bathroom was private but other room mates can access it so She will need something for her phone because she wont be able to leave it on the bathroom vanity.

My friends Daughter was in like a apartment, with 3 bed rooms with private bathrooms, common area, and a kitchen without a stove, it did have full size frig, and microwave. But the door was always open and other students in and out, Her bedroom door did lock but you could push hard on it and it would open, the school would not let them install a dead bolt, so they installed a chain lock so their daughter felt a bit safer when showering and sleeping. Our other friends son lived in a normal style dorm 2 students to a room, they got him a safe as well.
wow! It is so sad but a reality. I was just thinking what she should do when she goes to the pool. She doesn't like swimming but if she goes and dips her feet in not a good idea to have her phone so leaving it on the chair in a bag...I don't know. I would tell her to leave it in her dorm in the safe or locked up but you know these kids cant be without their phones=lol

wow! It is so sad but a reality. I was just thinking what she should do when she goes to the pool. She doesn't like swimming but if she goes and dips her feet in not a good idea to have her phone so leaving it on the chair in a bag...I don't know. I would tell her to leave it in her dorm in the safe or locked up but you know these kids cant be without their phones=lol

I preached to my daughter be aware of your surroundings, watch your stuff, its your responsibility to take care of your stuff, be smart... We have this water proof case that has a strap on it we use it on the boat, not sure were DH got it. You can still use the phone inside the case...just another thought. If she does like to swim, and she is at the pool more than like she could get thrown in.. You want to warn her.

The following items are not permitted:

• Pets other than small fish.
  • Clothes washers or dryers. credit card/ATM operated washers and dryers are located on the first floor of each hall.
  • Waterbeds.
  • Pianos, organs, drum sets or other large musical instruments. The Department of Music has practice rooms available to students.
  • Firearms, ammunition, fireworks, explosives, dangerous or flammable chemicals, paint ball guns or weapons including swords, bow and arrows.
  • Halogen lamps.

• And I was told by tour guide no hot plates, toaster ovens

Candles and burning incense are usually on that list too. I would love to see a dorm room big enough to fit a washer, dryer, piano or organ in!
Funny thing is, the college that banned refrigerators and microwaves other than the combo unit they would rent to you, the dorm was built in the 1970s and the wiring wasn't up to the demands of current college students.
The college my son went to, his dorm was built in 1923, (and was the same dorm I lived in 30 years earlier). It has been rewired with more robust electrical circuits, data wiring, cable TV and air conditioning.

I preached to my daughter be aware of your surroundings, watch your stuff, its your responsibility to take care of your stuff, be smart... We have this water proof case that has a strap on it we use it on the boat, not sure were DH got it. You can still use the phone inside the case...just another thought. If she does like to swim, and she is at the pool more than like she could get thrown in.. You want to warn her.
If anyone knows the name of the case please let me know. I plan on warning her but I'm sure she will say shes not getting in the pool. My first thought is getting pushed in or thrown in the pool. Kids that age mess around and think its funny :/
Candles and burning incense are usually on that list too. I would love to see a dorm room big enough to fit a washer, dryer, piano or organ in!
Funny thing is, the college that banned refrigerators and microwaves other than the combo unit they would rent to you, the dorm was built in the 1970s and the wiring wasn't up to the demands of current college students.
The college my son went to, his dorm was built in 1923, (and was the same dorm I lived in 30 years earlier). It has been rewired with more robust electrical circuits, data wiring, cable TV and air conditioning.
I agree candles etc. The other college we looked at a guy asked if he could bring his drum set. The person holding the housing meeting said "I guess you could if your room mate was ok with it but you probably would need silencers" Now knowing what the dorms looked like I was like yeah right buddy! good luck!-lol!

If anyone knows the name of the case please let me know. I plan on warning her but I'm sure she will say shes not getting in the pool. My first thought is getting pushed in or thrown in the pool. Kids that age mess around and think its funny :/
I agree candles etc. The other college we looked at a guy asked if he could bring his drum set. The person holding the housing meeting said "I guess you could if your room mate was ok with it but you probably would need silencers" Now knowing what the dorms looked like I was like yeah right buddy! good luck!-lol!

OT but, my favorite part of the parent orientation at my son's college came during a speech from the head of Admissions during the parent lunch. He said: "everyone, take a minute and look around the room.......because there is a 50% chance that your child's future in-laws are in this room right now". My son did marry a classmate, however, she is a year younger, so his future in-laws weren't in that room until a year later.

OT but, my favorite part of the parent orientation at my son's college came during a speech from the head of Admissions during the parent lunch. He said: "everyone, take a minute and look around the room.......because there is a 50% chance that your child's future in-laws are in this room right now". My son did marry a classmate, however, she is a year younger, so his future in-laws weren't in that room until a year later.
I told my daughter to please not fall inlove with anyone out of state-lol!

This may be weird but I started buying things for my son at Christmas last year. He got a Keurig, a printer and a charger with multiple ports. Since then, I started picking up other items as I saw them on sale. I got a mattress topper with cool gel at Target for $11 and a mattress pad for $12. Towels at Target were on sale a few weeks ago, as well as a XL Twin comforter - with my Target Red Card and a discount code, I paid $32 for 6 towels and a comforter! I have also bought storage bins when I see them on sale as well as desk supplies. I got a dorm rug at Walmart last week for $16. I am continuously lurking the sale aisles to get good deals!

This may be weird but I started buying things for my son at Christmas last year. He got a Keurig, a printer and a charger with multiple ports. Since then, I started picking up other items as I saw them on sale. I got a mattress topper with cool gel at Target for $11 and a mattress pad for $12. Towels at Target were on sale a few weeks ago, as well as a XL Twin comforter - with my Target Red Card and a discount code, I paid $32 for 6 towels and a comforter! I have also bought storage bins when I see them on sale as well as desk supplies. I got a dorm rug at Walmart last week for $16. I am continuously lurking the sale aisles to get good deals!
One problem with buying things ahead is the warranty. Both dd20 and dd19's single cup keurig broke in under a year, both were replaced for free because they were under warranty. And he won't need 6 towels, although you can just save them.

I have not read all responses. Here's my take. See if the college has fridge rental they come with microwave and delivered and take back also fix if any problems. Then see if they have printing available on campus, most colleges the students get so many pages per year and most stuff is emailed or downloaded. you also don't have to worry about ink and paper. If you have big lots buy you check there

they probably have lockers at the pool. At the rec center at the university near us, they have day use lockers in the locker rooms, plus small lockers near the basketball courts and workout equipment where you set your own code. Don't be like my nephew who left his phone on a bench by the basketball courts at his school and someone stole it. He realized he wasn't in Kansas anymore!

I'm wondering if its practical to plan to take a guitar. This is the only item my son really wants to take, and he likes to play a lot when he is hanging out. He would take the acoustic, not electric one. I imagine he could keep it under his bed but sure would hate for him to have it stolen.

I'm wondering if its practical to plan to take a guitar. This is the only item my son really wants to take, and he likes to play a lot when he is hanging out. He would take the acoustic, not electric one. I imagine he could keep it under his bed but sure would hate for him to have it stolen.
In my dd's dorm, lot's of kids had guitars. She had a Ukelele with her, she played it often.

I think my DH got it at a sporting goods store, not sure which one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter