2017 College Dorm shopping on a Budget

Can I vent a little here? My DD finally got her dorm assignment and roommate yesterday. Her request was met and she was assigned to a girl that she knows. Yay. Also, she was happy to see her room has a bathroom and she doesn't have to use a community bathroom down the hall. About 5:30 last night she got an email stating she was in a dorm room that will be used for those students taking classes over winter break and/or student athletes that need to stay on campus. So her and her roommate will have to pack all their belongings up and move out and then move back in when spring semester starts. Ugh. I'm just looking at all the stuff I bought and am dreading doing this extra moving. They are going to credit us $300 once she moves back in but I'd rather pay an extra $300 just to not have to make the move again (this isn't an option - just wishful thinking). Just want to add that yes I do remember reading that this could be a possibility. Thanks for letting me vent :)
That STINKS!!!! I am so sorry! Is there any way to get her assigned to a different dorm? It might be worth a phone call.

Can I vent a little here? My DD finally got her dorm assignment and roommate yesterday. Her request was met and she was assigned to a girl that she knows. Yay. Also, she was happy to see her room has a bathroom and she doesn't have to use a community bathroom down the hall. About 5:30 last night she got an email stating she was in a dorm room that will be used for those students taking classes over winter break and/or student athletes that need to stay on campus. So her and her roommate will have to pack all their belongings up and move out and then move back in when spring semester starts. Ugh. I'm just looking at all the stuff I bought and am dreading doing this extra moving. They are going to credit us $300 once she moves back in but I'd rather pay an extra $300 just to not have to make the move again (this isn't an option - just wishful thinking). Just want to add that yes I do remember reading that this could be a possibility. Thanks for letting me vent :)

Ugh! If a different room isn't possible then I would suggest making a reservation for a storage unit in the college town. The $300 might even be put to good use hiring someone to help her move it out to the storage and move it back.

Storage units in my DD's college town are reserved and sold out way in advance.

Last edited:
Is your DD attending Towson University? DD #2 will be a Freshman at Towson and she just told me yesterday about someone she knows in the same situation. I thought it was the strangest thing, and I know I would gladly forego the $300 if I didn't have to lug all of her crap home and back. My daughter ended up with the roommate and building she requested, but another student was added so they will be a triple for the time being.

That would really be aggravating!

On another note, we found several affordable pieces at Aldi still available this weekend. A floor lamp, closet rod extension, laundry hamper to name a few.

We hit Ikea hard on Friday! DD is in a Townhouse so she needed lots of things for the kitchen. She had gotten living room furniture last year when the seniors moved out, so that was nice. She is moving in 2 weeks before most of the other kids because she has training to attend. Her roommate has an on-campus job so she will have company this year. Since she will be there early, we bought most things so she will have them to use. Her roommate has been texting her about what she has. The other morning she got a text at 2am saying she didn't have a toaster! We did pick-up a toaster at a local dept store that had small appliances on sale.

To the mom whose DD has to move out over winter break. I am sure they have someplace to store her things. Also I would be having her pack the stuff up and move. We had to make the one move a year rule. DS lived off campus and would move all the time. I finally told him we would help once a year, other than that he was on his own. That stinks that she has to be one of those that have to move.

My husband's worrisome ways helped me save $30. He was looking up the dimensions of the fridge I ordered which hasn't arrived yet. He saw that is is now on sale for $30 less. I called Best Buy and got them to credit me the $30 plus tax.

Also we ordered textbooks today. My son saved himself about $40 by ordering from the bookstore across from the campus instead of through the official campus book store. Not a huge savings but his books weren't that expensive. We'll take it!

Is your DD attending Towson University? DD #2 will be a Freshman at Towson and she just told me yesterday about someone she knows in the same situation. I thought it was the strangest thing, and I know I would gladly forego the $300 if I didn't have to lug all of her crap home and back. My daughter ended up with the roommate and building she requested, but another student was added so they will be a triple for the time being.

lol - yes that is where she will be going!! I have also heard about the "triples". I think it can only be for one semester and you have the option of either moving or staying put where you are. I'm not as annoyed with our situation today anymore but I guess I'll be perturbed again come December when we bring all her stuff home. I'm assuming since my DD and her roommate are from here in Maryland that is one of the reasons why they got picked.

We hit Ikea hard on Friday! DD is in a Townhouse so she needed lots of things for the kitchen. She had gotten living room furniture last year when the seniors moved out, so that was nice. She is moving in 2 weeks before most of the other kids because she has training to attend. Her roommate has an on-campus job so she will have company this year. Since she will be there early, we bought most things so she will have them to use. Her roommate has been texting her about what she has. The other morning she got a text at 2am saying she didn't have a toaster! We did pick-up a toaster at a local dept store that had small appliances on sale.

To the mom whose DD has to move out over winter break. I am sure they have someplace to store her things. Also I would be having her pack the stuff up and move. We had to make the one move a year rule. DS lived off campus and would move all the time. I finally told him we would help once a year, other than that he was on his own. That stinks that she has to be one of those that have to move.

Hmmm - it wasn't mentioned that they have a place for her to store her things - other than maybe paying a storage place which I don't want to do. Freshmen can't have a car so she will not have a car with her. I honestly don't mind helping her - it certainly wasn't her choice to have to move. Yeah it does stink that she does have to move but her school is unfortunately quite short on campus housing. I just didn't realize it was as bad as it is - don't remember hearing a whole lot about this during the school tour - lol

I would be so annoyed!!!! I feel for you and your daughter. I think the school should provide storage on campus and use golf cart or school workers to move it. Plus a small $$ compensation for the inconvenience . I hope they also clean the room before your daughter and room mate move in. Make sure you get a bed protector for her mattress. keep us posted how things go when she moves back in the fall

15% off coupon if your child creates a college registry:
https://www.target.com/gift-registry/college-registry

I had both my college-aged kids create a registry and add toiletries and school supplies. Then I added everything to a cart and got 15% off. For one kid, I am shipping to a store near his campus and we will pick it up. For the other I shipped right to him at school. You can stack this with the Target Red Card 5% too.

I used a gift card gifted to us and free gift cards I earned through Swagbucks so I couldn't take full advantage of the Red Card discount - but the gift cards were free!

My husband's worrisome ways helped me save $30. He was looking up the dimensions of the fridge I ordered which hasn't arrived yet. He saw that is is now on sale for $30 less. I called Best Buy and got them to credit me the $30 plus tax.
Awesome! I just looked and the oone I bought is $30 cheaper too but I bought mine july 23rd or 25th so its probably to late for a price adjustment :(

Today I dropped another $124 at Wal-Mart on bath stuff soap, toilet paper, bucket for cleaning supplies, air freshener, large plastic 3 drawer , big pillow seat type thing for dds back when she;s sitting up in her bed, folder etc. Then at Micheals we bought some school art supplies and we each used our 60% off coupons I bought prismcolor color pencils(recommend by teacher) $44 %60 off=$18 Dh bought markers $25 60% off $10, DD bought a 5-pack of special drawing pens $17 60% =$6.80 total $86 60% off total $34.80 plus tax so happy I saved some $$

I think we need just a few more items. I was overwhelmed today getting last minute stuff. DD doesn't want to many container under her bed. I finally convinced her to get a medium-small tub with lid to put her toilet paper , extra sheets, extra towels. She moves in on Monday

I had both my college-aged kids create a registry and add toiletries and school supplies. Then I added everything to a cart and got 15% off. For one kid, I am shipping to a store near his campus and we will pick it up. For the other I shipped right to him at school. You can stack this with the Target Red Card 5% too.

I used a gift card gifted to us and free gift cards I earned through Swagbucks so I couldn't take full advantage of the Red Card discount - but the gift cards were free!
I wish I had seen this last week. I just spent $280 at Target stocking up on toiletries and laundry supplies for my 2 college kids! 15% off would have been nice!

I wish I had seen this last week. I just spent $280 at Target stocking up on toiletries and laundry supplies for my 2 college kids! 15% off would have been nice!

Went and more things. I'm kinda annoyed with DD for waiting till the last minute. she's packing on and off today. It's 7 pm and she's almost finished. Waiting til the last minute has stressed me out even though I've been telling her to get on it. Tomorrow we will head out around 6am to get there around 7:30-8am. Move in is at 8am. She has a bottom floor so hopefully its not to bad. Its starting to hit me now! Dh is out getting a rental so mini fridge/freezer will fit standing up. I feel so burned out and like I'm getting sick. My right tonsil feels swollen

Went and more things. I'm kinda annoyed with DD for waiting till the last minute. she's packing on and off today. It's 7 pm and she's almost finished. Waiting til the last minute has stressed me out even though I've been telling her to get on it. Tomorrow we will head out around 6am to get there around 7:30-8am. Move in is at 8am. She has a bottom floor so hopefully its not to bad. Its starting to hit me now! Dh is out getting a rental so mini fridge/freezer will fit standing up. I feel so burned out and like I'm getting sick. My right tonsil feels swollen
We had to move in at 8:00 also. I'm glad we were assigned an early time since he is on the 9th floor and as the day went on the line for the elevators was insane. I walked this body up 9 flights of stairs twice. We got his stuff up there before it got too bad. My son did the same as your daughter and fiddled around getting ready. As a result he only had the shoes on his feet and a really old pair that he brought in case he went canoeing or something. He totally forgot his running shoes. My husband felt bad for him but I didn't. He had plenty of time to get ready.

You are feeling the effects of the stress. Yesterday I did nothing but sit on the couch and doze. I was exhausted because after moving him Wednesday and starting a new job Thursday, I was plain worn out!

We had to move in at 8:00 also. I'm glad we were assigned an early time since he is on the 9th floor and as the day went on the line for the elevators was insane. I walked this body up 9 flights of stairs twice. We got his stuff up there before it got too bad. My son did the same as your daughter and fiddled around getting ready. As a result he only had the shoes on his feet and a really old pair that he brought in case he went canoeing or something. He totally forgot his running shoes. My husband felt bad for him but I didn't. He had plenty of time to get ready.

You are feeling the effects of the stress. Yesterday I did nothing but sit on the couch and doze. I was exhausted because after moving him Wednesday and starting a new job Thursday, I was plain worn out!
I'm using the one that would feel bad if DD forget something or needed something but I told her not this time. I told her if she forget something oh well she will have to wait until we go visit or she comes home to visit. She doesn't have a car so she will have to wait or find a ride. I'm just burned out! Her and I are close and dreaded this day but we've been non stop so it might be nice that's she's gone-lol! I will worry but atleast I will be able to rest and nolonger be a taxi-lol! I'm off tomorrow (Monday)

9 flights of stairs , I would have died! lol! Move in for us is first come first serve. Only the freshman speciality LCC dorms get to move in a week early and they do a week long full of activities and orientation type thing

I'm using the one that would feel bad if DD forget something or needed something but I told her not this time. I told her if she forget something oh well she will have to wait until we go visit or she comes home to visit. She doesn't have a car so she will have to wait or find a ride. I'm just burned out! Her and I are close and dreaded this day but we've been non stop so it might be nice that's she's gone-lol! I will worry but atleast I will be able to rest and nolonger be a taxi-lol! I'm off tomorrow (Monday)

9 flights of stairs , I would have died! lol! Move in for us is first come first serve. Only the freshman speciality LCC dorms get to move in a week early and they do a week long full of activities and orientation type thing
My son's school requires all new students to come early. They finished all their activities tonight and classes start tomorrow.

Last week I told my friend my son needed to go ahead and leave. The waiting and stress had my nerves shot. Plus he was staying out way too late as each friend got ready to head out to school. Now he can do what he wants and I don't have to know. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!