2 Parks - 1 Day - is my touring plan a winner?

OldSchoolReasons

DIS Veteran
Hello,

We only have one day at Universal (November 2nd). I've just checked at Universal Studios opens 8am (and closes at 5pm for HHH) while IOA is open 9am - 8pm.

Harry Potter is the priority, both of us love coasters and are not big on screen rides. I have been to Universal once in 2014 while my partner has never been. Is this doable in a day?

• Start at Universal Studios side
  • Gringotts
  • Hogwarts Express to IOA
  • Forbidden Journey / Hippogriff
  • Hogwarts Express back to US
  • Mummy, RRR, Men in Black, Simpsons, ET (if time)
  • Back to IOA - assuming just walking back normally is faster?
  • Jurassic Park, Kong, Popeye/Dudley (if time), Spiderman, Hulk.

Might be tough to fit *all* of that in if you don't have express passes. A few things I would suggest:

Not sure if I what you posted is the exact order you are thinking, but for this line:

• Mummy, RRR, Men in Black, Simpsons, ET (if time)
It's a bit out of order based on location of those attractions. If you're coming back from IOA via Hogwarts Express, I would do those in the following order based on where they are located:
  • MIB, Simpsons, ET, RRR, Mummy
From there you're back close to Hogwarts Express so you could jump back on to go back to IOA.

Then in IOA, you're likely later in the day so I would probably chop out Popeyes/Dudley. You will get SOAKED and not sure you want to walk around soggy that late in the day.

Also, you plan hinges on how much time you spend in both Diagon Alley and Hogsmead. Both areas are fantastic to explore and some people can spend hours exploring the two.

Overall, plan your list and order, make note of the ones you are willing to chop and do so if you feel you're running behind, and also use single rider lines if you're willing to ride separately to save time as well.

Also, since it is an HHN night, crowds start to come into the Studios and clog City Walk by 3 or so in the afternoon. Then, as it gets closer to 5, the line for the train is huge. So, I'd say when you are done in the afternoon in the Studios, I'd walk. It's not a far walk through City Walk to IOA. Good thing is, IOA is not much more crowded from 5 to 8, as most go to HHN, or just leave.

I'd get there at least 1/2 hour before park open. And remember, the onsite guests may have an early entry to the Potter area in the Studios before the general public. Take that in consideration when going straight to Gringotts. If you have bags, make sure you go straight to the lockers before riding, that goes for all rides that have lockers.

Yes, the water rides are fun, but both can get you really wet. Soaking. Even Dudley.

And if you are walking back to IOA from the Studios, I'd do Hulk, then Spiderman, then Kong. From there, if time, can see Potter area at night. They may be doing a quick castle light show, so if that interests you, stay for it.

Why don’t you start at IOA and do FJ and hippograff ride the do HE to the studio side?

Switch back over it IOA around 4 to finish your park day then

The HE does not start until 9 or when the park is officially opened

It can be a long wait to catch the first train out from the studios to IOA

I have done that before and the wait can be long

I went to the line for it at 8:30 and still did not get on the first train out to IOA

If you want to do both versions, wait until later in the day and ride both ways

You are working against the clock and don’t need to waste 35-60 minutes of your time when the ride is most popular that morning

Thanks experts!
I'm willing to get Express Pass on the day if I need to and single rider doesn't bother us either. I will kill the water rides as I've done both before and they aren't essential. Thank you for letting me bounce ideas off people, I don't want to overkill but seems like having a plan is good.

Why don’t you start at IOA and do FJ and hippograff ride the do HE to the studio side?

Switch back over it IOA around 4 to finish your park day then

The HE does not start until 9 or when the park is officially opened

It can be a long wait to catch the first train out from the studios to IOA

I have done that before and the wait can be long

I went to the line for it at 8:30 and still did not get on the first train out to IOA

If you want to do both versions, wait until later in the day and ride both ways

You are working against the clock and don’t need to waste 35-60 minutes of your time when the ride is most popular that morning

Is it still a good idea if US opens at 8 and IOA opens at 9? I figured I could spend the hour wandering around Diagon Alley and knock out Gringotts. Good call on the Hogwarts Express - I didn't even think that everyone and their gran would want to be on the first one. I'll do it later in the day.

I'd start at US in that case, and just plan to travel between parks multiple times like you're doing. The early hour will be least busy. Then you'll have the lighter evening crowds at IOA in Hogsmeade.

With single rider, FJ and Gringotts lines are negligible.

For some it would still be a good idea as less peeps in that potter section

But all the onsite hotels have early entry and there are mornings that the potter section (HE) will have line waits

It is something I can’t predict but only take a guess on

So if you do studios first, leave at 8:45 and walk to IOA
There will be a line to get in but hopefully not a long line

Might get into IOA faster this way instead of using HE

You never know what the crowd levels or lines to enter the park will be until you are closer to your dates

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts