1st trip to Southern Ca

magicalfoursome

DIS Veteran
So excited!! :woohoo: I have finally booked our hotels for our first trip to DL and San Diego this July. I just would like to share my plans so far and any suggestions are very welcome!
We arrive in Lax around noon on a Thurs and we are driving to San Diego. We are staying at the Glorietta Bay Inn in Coronado for 3 nights. It is across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado. We plan on visiting the beach there and going to Children's Cove in La Jolla to see the seals. We would also like to snorkel. Is it best to snorkel in La Jolla? Is there snorkeling in Coronado? We would like to go to Sea World and Seaport Village. On Sunday we plan on visiting the San Diego Zoo then driving to Anaheim to check-in at DHL for 4 nights. We will spend 3 days in DL. Our fight is a red-eye back to PA on Thursday night at 10:30 pm so we have all day on Thursday. My DH wants to go to Universal. We are buying the So Ca citypass. I really don't want to go to US as we have been the the one in Orlando twice and it is ok. Thanks for all your help so far!!

That sounds like a great trip. If you've been to Universal in Orlando, I'd skip the one in LA and give Disney the time! It's WAY WAY smaller - there is 1 great ride -the Simpsons ride - not much else imho ( we had AP's there last year because of the buy-1-day get a year free deal and had in-laws in town that wanted to go ) - we had a hard time spending more than 1/2 day there. And it's quite a distance from DL. If you're interested in the studio aspect I hear Warners is a better tour.
Sea World will be a full day - get there early and plan out which shows you want when - that's the trickiest part. Easy to miss some.

The zoo is BIG -- and hilly. I highly recommend buying the bus tickets - you can hop on and off at 5 different locations. (we're long time zoo members too and always get the bus). Really cool new elephant area.

I don't know anything about snorkeling though. La Jolla has some nice shops - fancy art galleries too. Lovely town. Seaport village is cute - won't take that long though.

Have fun!

I just recommended this to someone in another thread. Yes, another vote for Warner Brothers Studio Tour - have done it several times - always something different to see and have always been able to watch something being filmed. A much truer picture of Hollywood than you would get at Universal.

Your trip sounds pretty similar to the one we've got planned in September except we are starting out in DL instead of SD!! Getting to John Wayne airport the Thursday before Labor Day, checking into DLH for 4 nights. Planning on doing Hollywood Friday and a Dodger game Friday night. Saturday & Sunday Disneyland both days. On Labor Day, checking out and driving down to SD for 3 nights at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. Plan on going to the zoo, Balboa Park, USS Midway, Model Railroad Garden, & a Padres/Dodgers game on Wednesday night. Departing Thursday :(

I have been to US Orlando & Hollywood. The major difference for me is the studio tour at Hollywood is pretty neat! But I think I would pick a studio tour like Warners over US. You could check out CityWalk though for a lot cheaper and still get the feel for US! Never done a studio tour but I think it would be fun to do! I do love the Starline Tours of the movie stars homes!! Departs from the Grauham Chinese Theater. Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter