1st timers - need lots of help

FreeTime

DIS Veteran
We are planning on a trip in June 2018 for 2 adults and 2 teens ages 18 and 17. This will be our last big family vacation before high school graduation and will be our 20th anniversary, so we are looking for a special trip. I have read through many of the posts on here but am struggling to put it all together. We will probably stay 9-12 nights

1) should we get two studios or a 2 bedroom? I am leaning toward the 2 bedroom for the washer and dryer and two baths, but can get the two baths with a studio to save points

2) is Aulani too far off the beaten path that we can't use it as our home base? Should we stay somewhere else instead?

3) are gluten free products easy to find at the grocery or do we need to pack them in?

4) our must do activities include a PH tour (did I read it correctly that I must book this as an excursion or risk not getting in), helicopter flight (any suggestions), beach visits (where is the best?), visiting parks and picnicking (suggestions anyone)

5) is parking at the resort included for DVV members?

6) do you normally book flights with a travel agent? I have been watching them for awhile and would rather fly SW as far as I can but then have to deal with piecing all of the flights together myself. We are coming from Ohio

I am sure I will have many more questions so feel free to throw in anymore advice.

Thanks

We are planning on a trip in June 2018 for 2 adults and 2 teens ages 18 and 17. This will be our last big family vacation before high school graduation and will be our 20th anniversary, so we are looking for a special trip. I have read through many of the posts on here but am struggling to put it all together. We will probably stay 9-12 nights

1) should we get two studios or a 2 bedroom? I am leaning toward the 2 bedroom for the washer and dryer and two baths, but can get the two baths with a studio to save points Having a washer and dryer is a enormous help with a long trip. We stayed in a studio our first visit and 1 bd on our second, loved not having to go downstairs to do laundry (but doing laundry at Aulani was still much more pleasant than at home) :laundy:

2) is Aulani too far off the beaten path that we can't use it as our home base? Should we stay somewhere else instead? We love the location of Aulani! It is off the beaten path, but in a great way. We enjoy visiting the North Shore and the drive from Aulani to there is a nice drive. We usually stay a few nights in Waikiki and do the activities around there before we go to Aualni to relax

3) are gluten free products easy to find at the grocery or do we need to pack them in? Our DD was recently diagnosed and I am just planning to bring snacks along that are non perishable. If we find things around the island, great, if not us covered.

4) our must do activities include a PH tour (did I read it correctly that I must book this as an excursion or risk not getting in), helicopter flight (any suggestions), beach visits (where is the best?), visiting parks and picnicking (suggestions anyone) I can't answer the PH tour, we have always booked tickets online thru the government park service and drove. I suggest getting the GyPsy Guide app, as you drive around the island, it narrates what you are seeing. We found a lot of great places to stop and explore. North Shore has some beautiful beaches.

5) is parking at the resort included for DVV members? If staying on points, parking is included for DVC members.

6) do you normally book flights with a travel agent? I have been watching them for awhile and would rather fly SW as far as I can but then have to deal with piecing all of the flights together myself. We are coming from Ohio I book direct thru the airline

I am sure I will have many more questions so feel free to throw in anymore advice. Enjoy Aulani, it is beautiful and relaxing. Planning our return trip now!!

Thanks

1) should we get two studios or a 2 bedroom? I am leaning toward the 2 bedroom for the washer and dryer and two baths, but can get the two baths with a studio to save points

2) is Aulani too far off the beaten path that we can't use it as our home base? Should we stay somewhere else instead?

3) are gluten free products easy to find at the grocery or do we need to pack them in?

4) our must do activities include a PH tour (did I read it correctly that I must book this as an excursion or risk not getting in), helicopter flight (any suggestions), beach visits (where is the best?), visiting parks and picnicking (suggestions anyone)

5) is parking at the resort included for DVV members?

6) do you normally book flights with a travel agent? I have been watching them for awhile and would rather fly SW as far as I can but then have to deal with piecing all of the flights together myself. We are coming from Ohio

I am sure I will have many more questions so feel free to throw in anymore advice.

Thanks

1) Depends on your points situation. The 2 bedroom will be significantly more than 2 studios. If you have the points, go for it. If not, 2 studios should suffice. Just remember that there's no guarantee they'll be next to or near each other.

2) Absolutely NOT! Although in fairness everyone is different. We've been 3 times and stayed fully at Aulani each time. We never had any issue navigating the island to do anything (just avoid the heavy traffic times in and around Honolulu/Waikiki). We had greatly overestimated how far and long it would take to get around the island, but once we got there we realized that it wasn't bad at all.

3) Stop at Target on your way to Aulani and do your shopping there. Plenty of gluten free options.

4) Book PH in advance if you can. We didn't, we got there early and got walk-up tickets. Definitely easier if you can book in advance though. So many beaches it's tough to narrow down. Drive along the North Shore and stop wherever catches your eye. Same with the Windward coast. Lanikai is particularly nice.

5) Yes

6) No, but we flew from NY so it was much easier for us. We took Hawaiian Airlines direct from JFK-Honolulu

Feel free to send me a conversation/message to discuss further advice. There's so much, it's easier than clogging up this thread lol Good luck and happy planning!

I will say, with kids your age, Aulani might not be the best spot for them. i know when we're with friends, my 17 year old and his 19 year old friend will walk around Waikiki and just enjoy the atmosphere, get something to eat or drink. There are lots of things to do down there where up at Aulani, there isn't much. It's a resort, that's about it. Just my 2 cents. I know everyone loves Aulani, it's just not all that exciting to my kids. I just find it way out in the middle of nowhere and a paid to drive back and forth to. Again, just my 2 cents.

PH tickets you can get online or by walk up. The Arizona tickets and the park are free. (small charge if you book online).

Most of the beaches have grassy areas in the beach park where you can picnic or grill. If you're beach people, just drive until you see a good spot. Literally, the island is surrounded by water. hahah. Fort DeRussey down in Waikiki has two large grassy areas with picnic tables and grills. Waimanalo has a beautiful beach area as well. Every beach on the island is a little different. Try them all. ;)

Gluten free is pretty easy to find. Pretty normal selection at the larger markets. There are also 2 Whole Foods on the island.

I would not split airlines on a flight, in case of a delay you would be in big trouble. United and American both have a lot of flights

I will say, with kids your age, Aulani might not be the best spot for them. i know when we're with friends, my 17 year old and his 19 year old friend will walk around Waikiki and just enjoy the atmosphere, get something to eat or drink. There are lots of things to do down there where up at Aulani, there isn't much. It's a resort, that's about it. Just my 2 cents. I know everyone loves Aulani, it's just not all that exciting to my kids. I just find it way out in the middle of nowhere and a paid to drive back and forth to. Again, just my 2 cents.

Agreed. I think Waikiki would be better for those reasons, and also because they can take a 15-minute bus into town and explore a bit more. Take their pic in front of the Kamehameha Statue, see Iolani Palace, and explore Chinatown. Ala Moana Mall and Ward Center/Village are also very close by on the bus so they will have lots of options.

Tip: If you decide to stay in Waikiki, don't bother with the Waikiki Trolley. It's grossly overpriced. The trolley costs $45 for one day of hop on and off while The Bus has a 24-hour pass for $5 each and that's good for the entire bus system which goes to every part of the island. Normally, the bus rides are $2.50 each, so that is a great deal. The kids can buy one when they want to go out for the day.

Everyone's different. We were in our mid-20's our 1st trip out there and still had zero interest in spending any significant amount of time in Honolulu/Waikiki. We didn't travel all that way for a big city. That just wasn't what we were looking for in Hawaii. We enjoyed quick trips in there for specific things, but it just wasn't something that appealed to us for a long-term stay. With that said, I have friends who split their stay and they loved being in Waikiki (although they still preferred Aulani). So it's all personal preference and what you're looking for. Don't by any means feel like Aulani's location will be a hinderance to you being able to get places or do things though. That's just simply untrue.

I have been to Hawaii traveling from East coast on three trips of three -4 week duration. Here is my advice for what it is worth. If you are traveling more than 6 hrs split up trip to save your body. We stop in Las Vegas both to and from Hawaii to recharge and then do southwest on points to Rhode island. We take early morning flight to Vegas arrive at noon and spend the day relaxing and evening going to a show. I book a cheap room on the strip for one night. I then decide either to fly Hawaiian airlines direct 2AM flight or 9am morning. Try to see a Vegas show which is a must for me. If you want to avoid paying resort fees, book the Best western on strip . It is clean, small and right next to Venetian so you are in a great location. You can often find great deals on rooms in Vegas and lots of entertainment options for young and young at heart adults.

Arrive refreshed in Hawaii rather than totally wiped out which screws with your inner time clock. Have stayed a week at Aulani, three days at Turtle Bay resort on North Shore and a Courtyard by Marriot in the heart of Waikiki, I can say that I would rather stay a week at Aulani with a car then constantly check in and out for a new resort experience. The island is not that big. with proper planning you can schedule your trips and tours around rush hour traffic.

For Pearl Harbor , I book thru the government website as soon as they open up and get tickets for early morning on weekend if possible to avoid traffic. You can do this on your own and save a lot of money on tours which we found to be very expensive from Aulani.

Love Kualoa Ranch for 2 hour ATV tour, climbworks is better for ziplining, but the whole coastline to North shore is loaded with beaches that are hard to ignore so stop at will and just enjoy the incredible views.

I usually visit at least two and sometimes three islands on each trip so to me booking thru Hawaiian Air works great as you can do a multi island ticket which covers all your inter island and main land flights.

Aulani doesn't have much nightlife but after a day of activity, we often skipped the drive to city in favor of listening to the story teller at the firepit. with a car you aren't stuck eating at resort every night either.

If you have the points, a two bedroom can't be beat . The added washer and dryer allows us to fly with only carry on's even for a long trip. This is not as big a deal if you do not do interisland flights but if you do those $25.00 each way checked bags fees add up to big dough. I mean what can't you do in a swim suit, flipflops, a couple pairs of shorts and tops.

You will have a blast. I swore I would never fly to Hawaii as the long flights from the east coast are not something I could tolerate but breaking it up is fun and the islands are wonderful.

Everyone's different. We were in our mid-20's our 1st trip out there and still had zero interest in spending any significant amount of time in Honolulu/Waikiki. We didn't travel all that way for a big city. That just wasn't what we were looking for in Hawaii. We enjoyed quick trips in there for specific things, but it just wasn't something that appealed to us for a long-term stay. With that said, I have friends who split their stay and they loved being in Waikiki (although they still preferred Aulani). So it's all personal preference and what you're looking for. Don't by any means feel like Aulani's location will be a hinderance to you being able to get places or do things though. That's just simply untrue.
It can be a hindrance for teenagers being able to explore on their own. They won't be able to rent a car, so if they want to leave the resort and explore the island, then they have to depend on an adult to take them out or book an excursion which probably cost a lot of money.

Granted, I'm coming from my own personal experience being a teenager. I'd love to go out and walk with friends or with my sister, eat, shop, listen to music and just loaf around. I would not have liked to stay the entire time Aulani for the reasons I stated in the first paragraph. I think the split day would be a great option, because they could see some historical and cultural sites before going to the resort.

aulani is secluded. I personally hate waikiki. you might consider a split stay? I know many people spend some time in Honolulu and some at the resort. We've ziplined at climbworks twice and I highly, highly recommend it. I am not super adventurous and a bit afraid of heights, and they had me zipping upside down by the end. You need to book ahead, but if you schedule in the am can make a day of it. Just pack extra clothes (including shoes) with you as you might get wet and muddy.

when we go, we use Aulani as our home base but we don't spend all of our time there. kids will get bored. traffic into honolulu can be very difficult.

It can be a hindrance for teenagers being able to explore on their own. They won't be able to rent a car, so if they want to leave the resort and explore the island, then they have to depend on an adult to take them out or book an excursion which probably cost a lot of money.

Granted, I'm coming from my own personal experience being a teenager. I'd love to go out and walk with friends or with my sister, eat, shop, listen to music and just loaf around. I would not have liked to stay the entire time Aulani for the reasons I stated in the first paragraph. I think the split day would be a great option, because they could see some historical and cultural sites before going to the resort.

Hence my opening "everyone's different". I'm not saying you're wrong, I was simply offering a differing view. Not all teens are the same obviously. There really is no right or wrong answer, it's all dependent on your specific situation. We've traveled with families who had teens who would be perfectly fine with the chill atmosphere and "seclusion" of Aulani and doing things with their parents & others (my sister) who would much prefer the freedom and atmosphere in Waikiki.

Base it off of you and your children. You know them and what they like best.

We were in our mid-20's our 1st trip out there and still had zero interest in spending any significant amount of time in Honolulu/Waikiki. We didn't travel all that way for a big city.

Oh, I meant to respond to this part as well. This is a shot of what my neighborhood looks like when I'm heading home.

Palolo-Valley-9th-avenue-mauka-640x379.jpg

Unfortunately, when heading out, I'm facing the back of Waikiki and Kakaako, so no sunset or water view, but I like greenery and being surrounded in it works for me! My place is near starting point of the Ka'au Crater hike, and this is the view from the top. You pass 3 waterfalls on the way up. :love:

178396_10152271478850704_2146861513_o.jpg

Anyways, my whole point is that Honolulu is a "big city", but it's not all concrete and tall buildings. Hanauma Bay (as well as tons of smaller beach parks), waterfalls (including the popular Manoa Falls), and lush hiking trails are located in the city of Honolulu. I totally understand not wanting to stay at a hotel in Honolulu because Kahala Resort is really the only place in town other that doesn't have a city feel. But we shouldn't discount exploring different places in Honolulu under the assumption that it lacks natural beauty.

Last edited:
Oh, I meant to respond to this part as well. This is a shot of what my neighborhood looks like when I'm heading home.

Palolo-Valley-9th-avenue-mauka-640x379.jpg

Unfortunately, when heading out, I'm facing the back of Waikiki and Kakaako, so no sunset or water view, but I like greenery and being surrounded in it works for me! My place is near starting point of the Ka'au Crater hike, and this is the view from the top. You pass 3 waterfalls on the way up. :love:

Anyways, my whole point is that Honolulu is a "big city", but it's not all concrete and tall buildings. Hanauma Bay (as well as tons of smaller beach parks), waterfalls (including the popular Manoa Falls), and lush hiking trails are located in the city of Honolulu. I totally understand not wanting to stay at a hotel in Honolulu because Kahala Resort is really the only place in town other that doesn't have a city feel. But we shouldn't discount exploring different places in Honolulu under the assumption that it lacks natural beauty.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough and came off wrong, if so my apologies. By no means am I (or would I) discount or disparage Honolulu. We spent plenty of time there for a variety of things, however it just wasn't our personal preference for actually staying there. We simply much preferred being at Aulani and making our way around the island from there. Do I expect everyone to feel this way, certainly not, but that was simply our preference.

To be honest, I think this whole discussion actually highlights why we enjoy Oahu SO MUCH. There is literally something and some place for everyone. Whatever you're looking for, you will find it on Oahu. I think we can agree on that, no?

Whatever you're looking for, you will find it on Oahu. I think we can agree on that, no?
Yes. I quoted you, but my statement was general. I see a lot of talk about Honolulu as a place to avoid because people see it as just a city when it’s more of a region of the island. So just I just used your statement to address that misconception.

My place is near starting point of the Ka'au Crater hike, and this is the view from the top. You pass 3 waterfalls on the way up. :love:

This is gorgeous!! We have done Manoa falls and Maunawili falls on previous trips, this is just might be replacing some of our plans for our next trip. Thanks for the idea.

We generally stay a few days in Waikiki, not just to see the city, but to also experience the east side of the island, which is easier to enjoy when you are closer. Waikiki is also just fun. We rent a condo through VRBO so we can have a similar experience to Aulani with free parking and a kitchen. We pack a lunch for on the road to enjoy at one of the beaches we stop at along the way.

Everything is reachable from Aulani, though. After all, it is a small island. However, we don't like to deal with Honolulu traffic if we can help it, so if your base is at Aulani all the time, you need to factor in rush hour which starts early. By 6 am the roads are packed and runs until around 8:30 - 9 am.

You can reserve Pearl Harbor tickets online through the National Park Service website 60 days in advance.

We fly from Buffalo, NY, so we have found there are better connections and times through other airports. Generally we have picked Pittsburgh, but have also flown out of Cleveland. You also might want to check flights out of Canada. I have heard that there are some really cheap flights from Toronto which becomes even cheaper with the exchange rate in our favor.

We always stay long enough (3 weeks) to take in 2 islands. You have to consider that your first day is wasted, plus the day you leave. It is really nice to see the other islands and how they are so different from each other, both in scenery and local vibe.

Can't speak on the 2 bedroom vs. studio. We are a family of 4, all adults, and we get by with a one bedroom fine, which means we can stay longer and maximize our points. Yes, you get free parking if you are staying on DVC points.

Whether aulani will get boring for your teenagers depends on what they like to do. The beach and lagoon are lovely but pretty tame. However there are excursions available for surf lessons, horseback riding, etc. you can rent paddle boards and the slides and river are great

We have been to aulani five times and never leave because we love it. But we have seen the island many times so no reason.

I would recommend the two bedroom because of washer and dryer, the full kitchen, you will be all together and if you get one that is not a lockoff you actually get a half bath too. Great for teens!

Two studios may be far away from each other and then there is no real gathering place or ability to cook. Plus one of the kids would need to sleep on the couch unless they are comfortable sleeping together.

Oahu is beautiful but if you have that much time I'd definitely recommend another island. Maui or Kuai are my personal favorites.

Pearl Harbor is very easy to book ahead online and it's free with free parking.

If you are a DVc member staying on points you get free self parking at aulani.

Already some good responses but I'll add my two cents!

IMO - 2 BR would be better. The extra space, full kitchen, washer and dryer are great perks. Plus in a studio, with the pullout sofa in the down position, the room is very cramped with not much room for walking and it blocks the balcony door. A studio room is smaller than a standard hotel room.

I don't think so. It's isolated as in there's not much in walking distance but with a car, your furthest drive won't be any longer than say 90 minutes to 2 hours. It's an island so you can't go too far :)

Kailua Beach is our favorite. It's closer to Kualoa Ranch on the windward side of the island and it's gorgeous. We'd plan a day or two there next trip.

A TA can't get you any prices or deals on flights. Its the same as what you'd find on your own. TAs do not make commission on flight bookings, so some may even charge a service fee if you book only flights with them. We booked our whole package with a TA so she did our flights as well, but it was the exact same fares and times we saw online ourselves. I would do it on your own. I highly recommend Delta through Atlanta - the times are usually great, the plane is newer and nicely appointed, and the amenities they have for standard coach class are superior to their competitors.

Would you consider staying at Aulani for 4 nights or so and then moving to another island? We love Maui!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter