1st Timers - Day 5 - Rain - Fleas & Uni.Studios

Milly

Earning My Ears
Well - what a difference - yesterday was all sunshine, surf & sharks - today looks more like a wet weekend in Bogner Regis! Luckily we are a day ahead of schedule and are able to cancel Epcot in favour of a leisurely breakfast and some local shopping. "Lets try somewhere different for breakfast today" says DW - great! I jump at this suggestion_ but before I can consult my little book - it turns out that by "different" she means the same in another restaurant! We head off for the "Golden Corral" ! (ponderosa/sizzlers in another guise!)
I'm only kidding - actually I enjoy breakfast at these places as much as the rest of the party but I do feel guilty that we are not experiencing the full delights that Orlando has to offer yet. I will drag these people into a themed restaurant if it kills me (or I have to pay!).
We eat (lots!) and head up 192 to the Flea Markets and a Nike Outlet store. After a couple of hours my stomach & wallet are much lighter and everyone feels better for a bit of bargain shopping. It becomes apparrent that we are going to need to purchase another suitcase in order to take home all of these bargains! (we were told to bring an empty one with us but unfortunately DW slipped the kitchen sink into this without me noticing!).
Next its Wal-Mart which is like "Asda on steroids" - crikey - there's even a McDonald's in the shop! Too big - you need a full day to see this "Theme Park" and I didn't fly half way round the world to purchase groceries! I ease the throng to the "Happy Bus" and back to the villa. The clouds are beginning to dissapear and it looks like we may be able to salvage an evening trip out after all.
After a quick study of "The Book" I announce that we will visit Universal Studios for the evening - we are actually scheduled to go on Friday but I read on the boards that if you visit some of these parks in the evenings you can do a couple of the big rides and at least it will give us a look at where we want to go on Friday.
We arrive at @ 6.45.p.m. and drive straight into the car park (no charge). As we make our way along the moving escalaters to Universal we start to feel the atmosphere build again. It's different to Disney - more of an adult type of buzz but still really good - the music is pouring out of the Motown Cafe as we walk past and while it is busy this lends to the atmosphere.
We head right to Universal Studios and down thru the gates - Oh Oh! - lots of people coming out - not too many going in - is there something that I dont know? - YES - "This park will close tonight at 8.30p.m and there will be no firework display" says the hand written board at the gate! WHAT!!!!.............
Well - we get in and decide we may as well have a look around anyway in preparation for Friday - as it happens - because of the early closing it seems that many people are leaving early - perhaps to get to another park in time for fireworks -which means.........YUP!.........NO QUEUES...........
We walk straight on to Jaws which scares the living daylights out of DD! I loved it - Ive seen this in so many documentaries and magazines that it's one of my "must do's".
We stroll down the road and walk straight on to "Earthquake" - now this is fantastic! Unfortunately DD does not agree and is now close to traumatisation!! We solve this with a large ice cream and the promise of no more scary rides - then return to "Jaws" for another go!!
We have a good idea of where everything is now and promise to return for ET, Back to the Future, Men in Black etc. another day.
As we are making our way out there are still others turning up unaware of the early closing - no explanation for this!
Still its been another great day all in all and tomorrow is Islands of Adventure so we now know where to go!
I really feel at home now - I know my way around the streets - the parks are so easy to find - everyone is so polite - the streets are clean -the toilets are spotless - it's no wonder everyone looks so happy. Have you noticed this? I keep looking around at people and they are all smiling and laughing -it's very infectious - this might sound daft but it really does feel like absolutely everyone is here to have a great time and nothing is going to spoil that. I dont think I have ever been anywhere quite like this.
The weather doesn't even come into the equation - everywhere is just geared up for rain or shine to make sure that we all have a good time. Sure - we've bought the standard plastic poncho's - but when the rain is warm too - well - you know what I mean!
Anyway - looks like I need to read DD a bedtime story with a happy ending tonight - not one where the nasty shark causes the train to crash!!
Tomorrow - Island of Adventure and Jurassic Park (another must-do for me).

Milly

Another great day...Shopping & park...:)

Great news re the 'no queues'! Even if there were no fireworks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter