1st time at OKW, tips/advice needed - what do you LOVE?

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
I will take some time to check out the OKW lovers thread, but I just need some help getting excited about OKW...

I've avoided OKW due to my fear that it'll be "tired" or "worn out". I am taking my sister and her kids on their first (and probably only) Disney vacation and really wanted to wow them. But by the time they committed my first choices (close to MK) and second choices (close to EPCOT) were gone. I don't want them to be underwhelmed. I don't mean to be snobbish but I remember my 1st trip and how my breath was taken away at Wilderness Lodge. And I may not have been super wowed at Boardwalk, we did love the creepy clown pool and had such a blast every night on the Boardwalk. I was a bit underwhelmed at Kidani because the rooms were so dark, but the African vibe was cool and we liked seeing the animals everywhere. I just wanted something more "Disney" for my sister and her kids as they've done plenty of "shore" type vacations and I didn't want the OKW theming to feel like just another beach house. So I know I need to change my attitude to be more excited. So please give me all the stuff you LOVE about OKW. We will be staying in a 2BR from Sun June 18 - Fri June 23. The kids are 9, 11 and 13.

My Questions:

On the map the resort looks very big. Do I need to rent a car and drive if I am far from the pool? We plan to come home every day to swim/relax at the pool and I know the kids will prefer the slide and activities (especially the 2 younger ones, the teen will probably just sit in her room on her electronic device). I don't relish the thought of having to schlep wet kids in the car.

How far is the bus ride to MK or EPCOT? We plan to visit those parks the most. Does OKW have monitors that tell you when the next bus is coming? Is there just one bus stop of do all those clusters on the map have their own stop?

How would I get to GF from OKW? I planned an ADR at 1900 PF (as originally I thought we'd be at BLT on the monorail) for our first night. Should I ditch it and go to DS instead since it's so much closer and the boat ride would be fun?

I am torn btwn grocery delivery for breakfast and lunch or DDP (I have 4 expensive TS buffets planned which will make DDP a pretty good investment). I have heard wonderful things about Olivia's, but how is the CS restaurant for breakfast and lunch choices? Reading the menu of Good's To Go it doesn't have very good choices of sides (like scrambled egg or bacon for 2 snack choices). I don't really want to waste a CS credit as it doesn't seem a good value. Is it feasible for one of us to "boat over" to DS to use a CS credit there (much better restaurant choices) and haul it back for lunches? Definitely can't do it for breakfast, but if we don't see anything we like at Good's I suppose we can find something at the park - plus I have 2 breakfasts planned (Akershaus and BOG).

Thanks for helping me adjust my attitude about OKW!

I just LOVE Old Key West. You are "underwhelmed" with resorts that I find spectacular, so I do question if OKW will have the WOW factor for you, on that end it might just be about managing expectations. OKW is exceptionally charming, and there is a relaxed feel to it that I find exceptionally appealing. The rooms, in my opinion, are the best DVC rooms that I have stayed in. They are much much larger. Some of the decor can seem somewhat dated, but that is not bothersome to me, because it is in keeping with the theme, and while it is dated, it just feels appropriate. The rooms are very bright and cheerful, and they have the very best balconies on property (IMO), because they have a table and chairs available. I typically request a water view. I have had some spectacular views at OKW.

The boat ride to Disney Springs is just fantastic, charming and very quick.

I am a big advocate of renting a car if you are staying at OKW. Some of those buildings are FAR from the Hospitality House, and something as simple as a quick trip to the sundries shop can become a whole ordeal having to wait for buses, making multiple stops. I would not stay at OKW without a car. It is really nice too, because the parking there is quite convenient, as it is right outside of your room. Plus, it sounds like you are doing some resort dining. It sounds to me like you have a strong case to rent a car.

You can reserve the Hospitality House location if it is available, but if it is not you might be really far away from the feature pool. We just drive to the pool and it isn't such a big deal, especially in a rented car!

There are multiple bus stops, your room will be within a reasonable distance to one of them. I find the bus service anywhere on property maddening, so I am not a fan of it at OKW either. I drive to the parks regardless of where I am staying. We also drive to the grocery store, and occasionally off-site dining (much cheaper) or other attractions.

I have owned at OKW for 20 years, and have been there many times. In the beginning we always had a car, but now with Magical Express, we rarely get one. The buses are frequent and we've never had to walk far to get to a bus stop. The bus ride to EP and HS isn't bad, since they are closer than the others. Also going to DS is convenient. We have stayed at all the other DVC's except Poly and VGF, and it definitely has the largest rooms. Great idea from PP about a water view.

I stayed there without a car, no problems, in August. I loved the place, very relaxing. Rooms are huge. They are just starting to totally renovate the rooms, it will last until 2019 before all done, but being done in blocks so will not bother you. Rooms will be a bit like the Vero ones then. These will then be the best rooms on property, newly done and huge. My one tip would be to try and avoid a room near a roundabout (turning circle I think you call them).

You can hop any theme park bus from your area to get to the Hospitality House. And you can walk over to Peninsular Road and take a bus back to South Point or Turtle Pond (getting back to Millers Road is an easy walk, 5-10 minutes max). Bus to Epcot once you leave the resort is maybe five minutes. Maybe eight minutes to MK. But if you get on the bus at Peninsular Road, you have to go to South Point, Turtle Pond, Millers Road and Hospitality House before you leave the resort. But it a great time to talk to the other guests on the bus. Part of my favorite part of riding the buses. You meet the nicest people.

Goods to Go was built as a counter for poolside eating, not for breakfast, not as a food court. You won't find Artist's Palette or The Maya at Goods to Go. Eat breakfast in your villa and eat counter service at the theme park and use Olivia's for some of your Table Service (it's really pretty good, even breakfast). Counter service at Goods to Go is good, though. Eat your lunch at the pool after your trip to the theme park in the morning.

You will be wildly surprised with a two bedroom villa. Full sized kitchen (with ice maker in the freezer), full sized dining room table that seats four without any problems and you can bring in one or two of the chairs from the porch to pull up to the table if you need more seats. Or just let the kids eat at the "kids' table" (the coffee table). You'll also have a full sized washer and dryer (no stackables here). One king bed, two queen beds, one queen sleeper sofa and one twin sleeper sofa.

We've stayed at OKW at least 16 times since we bought in 1997. We've got another trip planned for Sept and again next January.

I just stayed at OKW over President's Day weekend and loved it. Although I enjoy the all the resorts for different reasons, I really loved the vibe at OKW. Totally laid back. Main pool was being updated, but I spent lots of time at the quiet pool. I loved walking the resort in the AM, Olivia's was excellent and the staff wonderful. Dang....feel like I need some points here now! But as others have said, I didn't have a car, and I'm not a huge bus fan. Next time I stay at OKW, I'm definitely renting a car.

You can hop any theme park bus from your area to get to the Hospitality House. And you can walk over to Peninsular Road and take a bus back to South Point or Turtle Pond (getting back to Millers Road is an easy walk, 5-10 minutes max). Bus to Epcot once you leave the resort is maybe five minutes. Maybe eight minutes to MK. But if you get on the bus at Peninsular Road, you have to go to South Point, Turtle Pond, Millers Road and Hospitality House before you leave the resort. But it a great time to talk to the other guests on the bus. Part of my favorite part of riding the buses. You meet the nicest people.

Goods to Go was built as a counter for poolside eating, not for breakfast, not as a food court. You won't find Artist's Palette or The Maya at Goods to Go. Eat breakfast in your villa and eat counter service at the theme park and use Olivia's for some of your Table Service (it's really pretty good, even breakfast). Counter service at Goods to Go is good, though. Eat your lunch at the pool after your trip to the theme park in the morning.

You will be wildly surprised with a two bedroom villa. Full sized kitchen (with ice maker in the freezer), full sized dining room table that seats four without any problems and you can bring in one or two of the chairs from the porch to pull up to the table if you need more seats. Or just let the kids eat at the "kids' table" (the coffee table). You'll also have a full sized washer and dryer (no stackables here). One king bed, two queen beds, one queen sleeper sofa and one twin sleeper sofa.

We've stayed at OKW at least 16 times since we bought in 1997. We've got another trip planned for Sept and again next January.
The shrimp Cobb salad at Goods to Go was outstanding! The food is made in the Olivias kitchen I think.

Wow, I didn't realize the bus rides to the parks were so quick. Seemed like it took forever on my last trip at Kidani!! I am more concerned about getting from our room to Hospitality House and the pool with three kids. That's why I wondered about the car! Just to get around the OKS property lol! So it isn't weird to hop a bus in your bathing suit to go to the pool? The large rooms will be awesome as there are 6 of us).

Wow, I didn't realize the bus rides to the parks were so quick. Seemed like it took forever on my last trip at Kidani!! I am more concerned about getting from our room to Hospitality House and the pool with three kids. That's why I wondered about the car! Just to get around the OKS property lol! So it isn't weird to hop a bus in your bathing suit to go to the pool? The large rooms will be awesome as there are 6 of us).

The ride to the parks is not bad at all, it is stopping and picking up within the resort that takes a lot of time. It's not at all weird to get on the bus in your pool clothes.

My favorite thing at OKW is the porch/balcony. I love the big table that everyone can comfortably sit around with their morning coffee, or even a meal. We're BIG OKW fans, and never expected to be. We bought elsewhere, and were actually disappointed that OKW was all that was available on a short-notice stay. After one night there, DH announced that he wanted to own there, so we went home and did buy-sell so that we now own there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter